Dieting in the 70s was funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieting in the 70s was funny

This site was made by someone who also writes TWOP recaps. It's basically a set of short footnotes/commentaries on a bunch of old weight watcher recipe cards that she found at her mum's house. That sounds random but the way she's done it is just so fcking funny I can't bear it.

Click on each card to read the commentary/witness the full horror of these culinary monstrosities...

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

OMG....that was too funny. I had to hold in my laughter so my husband didn't start thinking I was out of my mind. All that food looked nasty and the comments were dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by Risa View Post
      OMG....that was too funny. I had to hold in my laughter so my husband didn't start thinking I was out of my mind. All that food looked nasty and the comments were dead on.
      Why did people EAT that stuff? Or maybe they didn't, maybe the point was to make the food so disgusting that you didn't want to eat it at all?

Comment

OMG so funny! My favorites:

"Chicken Liver Bake: enjoy it with the ashes of a loved one.

Or maybe what's left of the chickens are in that urn. Maybe the chickens were your loved ones.

But chickens never love back enough. And that's why you have to KILL them. And eat their livers ritualistically. And then they're a part of you forever. Forever. "

Mexican Shrimp-Orange Salad:

"Um, I guess this is a salad best enjoyed at the house of that one scary lady down the street who never leaves the house and talks to her knicknacks.

I showed this card to a friend who said, "What the hell's in that bowl-- bong water?!"

Is that why the ceramic animals are so drawn to it? Is it their magical pond?

Why have they gathered? What do they want? "

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
        Why did people EAT that stuff? Or maybe they didn't, maybe the point was to make the food so disgusting that you didn't want to eat it at all?
        Maybe the point was to make people not want to eat, period. That stuff was really gross looking. And what was up with all the props? Like the urn for crap's sake.
        Last edited by Emmie; 17-02-09, 05:56 PM.
        sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

I can't stop laughing! Emmie, I hadn't even seen some of those! Oh god. My face hurts!

Comment

Oh my, those Hot Wrap Ups look like there are little thingies walking on it. Like it wasn't gross looking enough.

Comment

OMG! Thanks for that link, Wolfie! Or on the other hand, bad you! I might die with laughter.

"It's a meal! It's an obsessive disorder! It's both!"
              sigpic
              banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Hey, they don't ALL seem that bad. That Chilled Celery Log is looking pretty good. Celery + cold + in log form + what might be cream cheese in the center = Slightly appealing. I don't know what they were thinking with the boullion cube drink. It reminds me of HIMYM with Marshall drinking the boullion drink.

"They call this "onion sauce" but it looks more like the end of a snuff film to me. Yep. Fish snuff. Die, fish, die."

"shit on a shingle" Oh Marcy.
                Last edited by holypotatoes; 18-02-09, 01:07 AM.
                T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by holypotatoes View Post
                  Hey, they don't ALL seem that bad. That Chilled Celery Log is looking pretty good. Celery + cold + in log form + what might be cream cheese in the center = Slightly appealing. I don't know what they were thinking with the boullion cube drink. It reminds me of HIMYM with Marshall drinking the boullion drink.
                  It's WRONG. Though I suppose it was the 70s, and they drank weird things like bovril (in the UK anyway).

"They call this "onion sauce" but it looks more like the end of a snuff film to me. Yep. Fish snuff. Die, fish, die."

"shit on a shingle" Oh Marcy.
                  The fish snuff movie thing is awesome.

Comment

OMG. That was a very good link to share. Also, sort of bad.

Comment

I've come as far as "fish balls" and already I'm snickering.
                      Sin is what I feast upon
                      I'm forging my crematorium
                      Your tomb is waiting here for you
                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

It's a race between the urn, the pineapple "upholstered" with pork product, the green! hot wraps and the leopard.

Ah, ceramic animals... It's like walking through Graceland. In fact, I think I have a ceramic tiger from my grandmother (probably from the '70s) somewhere. Some of these knicknacks would look right at home in the Jungle Room. Speaking of Elvis, half the fun of the concert videos is looking at all the bouffants, beehives and go-go boots. And of course, mutton chops, long hair and bellbottoms on *everyone*.

And lots of brown, harvest gold and avocado green--the colors of every '70s home.

If these were '60s diet recipes, there'd be a lot more Polynesian/Hawaiian stuff. No really, I was looking at a '60s cookbook the other day. Hello to the pineapple! Don't forget all those uses for coconut and coconut milk. And a lot of duck, dove and chicken livers. Of course, the fact that my mom had a parrot walking around on her at the time made all the discussion of roast bird recipes much more hilarious. The dove recipes led to comments about our pet doves and cruel feather plucking. And of course, roast parrot jokes. So very wrong and sick. The fact that our parrot, Kahl?a, eats scrambled eggs already has me calling him a cannibal.

There's actually a place in San Diego called Shelter Island, and it's a victim of the '60s obsession with Hawaii. Polynesian thatched hut roofs, luaus, tiki torches, birds of paradise, palm trees, yacht clubs (Kona Kai) and restaurants (Bali Hai) with Hawaiian names... the whole shebang. It makes you want to have a clambake. Combined with the old-time fishermen theme (the older buildings seem to be from the '50s), the island is like Popeye's Hawaiian vacation. LMAO.

Really. I love outdated things. Great link.

You should hear about the even wackier things that people attempted in that era to lose weight. Injecting a pregnant woman's urine into oneself was a wacky weight loss fad at one time.
                        Last edited by NileQT87; 19-02-09, 05:34 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

God yes, the outfits and colours. I have seen some really embarrassing pictures of my parents and uncle from that time... Mum's "towery" hairstyle, Dad's giant glasses that made him look like a nerdy insect, my uncle's sort of Afro hairstyle, his ex-wife's eyeliner...
                          Sin is what I feast upon
                          I'm forging my crematorium
                          Your tomb is waiting here for you
                          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                          X