Twilight - Favourite book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight - Favourite book?

Am I the only person who can't pick her favourite of the books? It is between Twilight and Eclipse at the moment but it changes!

I'm curious as to which is everyone's favourite and which is least liked out of them all.

My least liked is New Moon. Bella's depression is horrible to read and I only liked Jacob in this book up until he became a wolf. Only the ending in Italy saves it for me, but still, the one I prefer least of the 4 to re-read.
    Twilight
    16.00%
    New Moon
    28.00%
    Eclipse
    40.00%
    Breaking Dawn
    8.00%
    Couldn't decide
    8.00%

I agree about New Moon. I loved the ending and Bella's journey into depression was too long for me, though I understood the need for it. I still like the book, of course!

But my fave is Eclipse. It just has so many awesome things about it. First of all, more of the Cullens! Then, lots of awesome B/E moments. And the battle portion was great. I really felt like I could see it and sometimes action in written word can get lost on me. Another thing: the scene with Edward and Jacob and Bella in the tent? Loved it. The candor Edward allows himself to have with Jacob is so interesting.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I'm the opposite of you two, I like New Moon the best. I'm a sucker for angst and I thought S. Meyer did a good job describing Bella's depression. I also loved seeing the reckless, rebellious side of Bella, how she dropped her good girl image for a little while. While this book is unfortunately rather light on the Edward storyline, I still love it a lot. I enjoy the Bella/Jacob friendship and was so disappointed and dismayed when S. Meyer turned it into a romance in Eclipse. The end of New Moon with Alice turning up in Forks again and everything that happens in Italy is extremely gripping, I literally couldn't put the book down at this point.

Eclipse is a close second though. I love the action of that book, all the Bella/Edward moments, the Rosalie and Jasper background stories and so much more. However, as said above, I hated the Bella/Jacob "romance", I hated how Jacob forced himself on Bella, the whole love triangle thing etc. Eclipse really made me dislike Jacob a lot.

Comment

I loved all 4 for different things, yeah, least one i will read again is new moon, no ED. But I love Eclipse, Ive read twilight so many times i know it chapter by chapter. But breaking dawn is great too, I know not many people like that one but I loved it more the more times I read it. Suprisingly I loved the jacob book, which made me like the bella/jake ship more so am glad about that

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
        Another thing: the scene with Edward and Jacob and Bella in the tent? Loved it. The candor Edward allows himself to have with Jacob is so interesting.
        That is one of the best scenes throughout, yepyep I cant decide between . . . Eclipse + ... I dunno either Breaking dawn or Twilight, Can't decide there all too good

Comment

Originally posted by amy1234 View Post
          But breaking dawn is great too, I know not many people like that one but I loved it more the more times I read it. Suprisingly I loved the jacob book, which made me like the bella/jake ship more so am glad about that
          I did like BD! There were a few times where I was sort of like "can we get on with now?" But overall, I thought it was interesting and I wasn't as upset with the whole "Bella gets everything she wants and happy endings can't be so tidy" as it seems a lot of readers felt.

And yes, the Jacob book was pretty intriguing. I was skeptical, at first, because it seemed odd to break out of Bella's first person narrative but it ended up making more sense that way. Jacon gave us the information we needed for the story in a way Bella couldn't, since she was essentially incapacitated for that time. Plus, Meyer managed to let Jacob's dark humor shine through in the midst of all the angst and horror...which was a welcome relief since the subject matter was rather harsh.

Also, Midnight Sun? The partial draft? Loved it. Edward is my fave character and it was so cool to see how he responded to things. Bella was so wrong about him in most every instance! Too bad the draft got leaked and Meyer decided to put it on hold. But since she put it up I had to read it! An extra 250+ pages of the Twilight-verse? Yes please!
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I think it has to be Twilight for me. I really liked that book, although I loved Eclipse. Hm...except the end chapter.

Which brings me to Breaking Dawn. I hated the Jacob book. SO much. I was tempted to just put the book down at times. But I didn't. (And I wound up reading it in two days...) I'm unsure about the whole Renesmee storyline, I mean, it is a good idea in theory, but I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been...so I'm still unsure...

New Moon. Don't even get me STARTED on New Moon. I despised Jacob in this. And Bella's depression was getting me depressed. I had to flick through to see how far Edward's return was. It's not Ed-friendly New Moon. He's barely in it, which was very disappointing. But...meh.

So definately either Twilight or Eclipse for me.

sigpic
            ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

Twilight is still my favourite but it is close with Eclipse. I have to agree with Nikki and Jenni Lou about New Moon because I really felt for Bella I found it very depressing. I am a huge Bella/Edward shipper so I prefer it when they are together. I got through Twilight the quickest because it was such a page turner.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carousel_girl8 View Post
                I got through Twilight the quickest because it was such a page turner.
                I got through Breaking Dawn the quickest. I think it was because by the time I got to Jacob's book, I thought, 'I'm not gonna stop here and "look forward" to reading Jacob's part later", I think I got up to about five chapters from the end of Breaking Dawn one night, then I finished the rest off the next night. Yes, I am a fast reader

sigpic
                ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

I read all four books within 4 1/2 days. I was riveted.
                  sigpic

Comment

I read all four books within 4 1/2 days. I was riveted.
                    yeah, I think I was about on that track as well.... And I agree with Nikki, my favorites are a toss up between Twilight and Eclipse, but I voted for Eclipse. I really loved the action in that book and it didn't drag on like New Moon did. I'm also in the New Moon is my least favorite category. It was just non.stop.whining. For like 300 pages. And I thought the 'I hear Edwards voice' thing was so lame.

Also, Midnight Sun? The partial draft? Loved it. Edward is my fave character and it was so cool to see how he responded to things. Bella was so wrong about him in most every instance! Too bad the draft got leaked and Meyer decided to put it on hold. But since she put it up I had to read it! An extra 250+ pages of the Twilight-verse? Yes please!
                    Wait. WHAT? There's 250 more pages somewhere? So WHERE? I really would LOVE to read that!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                      Wait. WHAT? There's 250 more pages somewhere? So WHERE? I really would LOVE to read that!!!!
                      http://stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

The link to the PDF file is right after Meyer's explanation of why she is posting it. It's about halfway through the the page.

I overlooked it myself originally. I just thought the first chapter was up. But I was at the site a few days back and stumbled on the partial draft and was like "whoah!" I stayed up all night to read it.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

The link to the PDF file is right after Meyer's explanation of why she is posting it. It's about halfway through the the page.

I overlooked it myself originally. I just thought the first chapter was up. But I was at the site a few days back and stumbled on the partial draft and was like "whoah!" I stayed up all night to read it.
                        wow, thanks! I just did the same thing.... And I must say, I'm LOVING Edward's POV. I think I like it so much better than Bella's. Has anyone heard, is she really not going to finish this? That would be horrible! I was so enthralled!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                          wow, thanks! I just did the same thing.... And I must say, I'm LOVING Edward's POV. I think I like it so much better than Bella's. Has anyone heard, is she really not going to finish this? That would be horrible! I was so enthralled!
                          Me too! Isn't it fascinating to see it from his perspective? And how obsessed with her he is? We all know Bella was obsessed but it's so interesting to see that it wasn't a one-sided thing at all. If anything, I would say that he is more obsessed with her than she is with him. I think one of my fave parts is when he sneaking in her window and makes a mental note to bring oil next time. Or is "this girl will do nothing to help keep her alive!" Edward is very funny. You don't really get that from Bella's viewpoint.

Hopefully after enough time passes, she will feel like completing it. *crosses fingers*
                          sigpic

Comment

Me too! Isn't it fascinating to see it from his perspective? And how obsessed with her he is? We all know Bella was obsessed but it's so interesting to see that it wasn't a one-sided thing at all. If anything, I would say that he is more obsessed with her than she is with him. I think one of my fave parts is when he sneaking in her window and makes a mental note to bring oil next time. Or is "this girl will do nothing to help keep her alive!" Edward is very funny. You don't really get that from Bella's viewpoint.

Hopefully after enough time passes, she will feel like completing it. *crosses fingers*
                            I hope so. I reread Eclipse last night and I was thinking how awesome it would be from Edward's perspective. I hope she writes it from his perspective as well.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well this one is easy for me--New Moon, no contest! I loved it even when I shipped Edward/Bella (for the heartbreaking angst and emotional depth, as Cori mentions--the "time passes" line and the blank pages kills me every time--for her friendship with Jacob, and for the exciting Italy race at the end--I never tried skipping ahead to see when Edward would return, I was perfectly satisfied with where I was as I read), and as a firm Jacob/Bella shipper now I naturally love it even more--it is the "Twilight" of J/B, and Jacob at his best, I think. I love how he helps her out of her depression, how they interact (I think he brings out more of her humor, I loved their little "true age" debate, etc), him as a character period (he is without a doubt my favorite character in the series, and one of its redeeming features IMHO). I also think NM is better written than Twilight--SMeyer improved in the interim between the two books as far as I can tell, so there's that in addition to the added emotional depth. Yes, Bella is depressed, though tbh if you reread Twilight you'll notice she spends most of her time being depressed in that book too, but for more trivial and less legitimate reasons IMO like "oh noes, Edward isn't at school today! I think I've died a little inside....Woe is me, let me go cut myself...." than in NM.

Breaking Dawn is easily my least favorite, though I did adore Jacob's book in it (seriously, it was the one that took me longest to read as well, it was so damn boring in parts of books 1 and 3, especially 1--I was so bored after the second chapter that I called it a night earlier than expected, and the next day stopped reading to rewatch "The Devil Wears Prada," even though I had planned to read straight through the whole weekend), and Twilight probably comes before that (have not finished MS yet, so can't rank that), meaning Eclipse would come in second--it was both good and bad, I think that both Edward and Jacob come out as much more dislikeable characters in the course of it, though ultimately I thought Edward came out worse, hence my Team Jacobness (though yes, Jacob was not on his best behavior either!). I love that Bella finally realized her love for Jacob in that book too, and they had some good moments (and lines) along with the bad....and the battle at the end was probably the most exciting action in the series!

And if she were to write any more books from another's perspective after MS, I'd want her to write Jacob's POV during NM--I'd love to see what he showed Edward in Eclipse for instance, of what Bella looked like when she first came to him. Plus I loved Jacob's POV in BD (it was pretty much the only part of the book I loved, its saving grace, besides Garrett), and the werewolf stuff/pack, so it'd be great to hear more about that, especially his first scary experiences with it....
                              Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I chose Breaking Dawn. It had the most action in it, and it seemed like it had a lot more than the others, eclipse would have come second though. (And as far as I'm concerned Stephenie Meyer was suffering from depression while writing New Moon. No offense to New Moon fans, but I think it sucked.)

And twilight was okay, once the action started at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
                                  I chose Breaking Dawn. It had the most action in it, and it seemed like it had a lot more than the others, eclipse would have come second though.
                                  Well lol, it did have a lot more than the others--pages that is! It is an 800+ page monster, the longest book by far....and that's funny, because I found BD to be more about a lack of action than anything else, and many seem to agree
                                  Spoiler:
                                  with all the complaints about there being no final battle, waiting around for the baby, waiting around for the Volturri, waiting around for Edward to sex Bella up some more on her honeymoon, etc!

Not trying to criticize, I just found it interesting that you would describe BD as having "the most action in it," that's all...
                                  Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I can see where you and other people are coming from I guess, but towards the end there was more thrill in it for me it seemed. Almost like it would be the end and a final showdown for me. But i dunno, depending on how you look at it, I guess more people were just focused on waiting for Renesmee and the Volturi, and Edward to sex up Bella some more Sherrilina.

And I hate Edward, and getting to see Jacob's point of view was much more enjoyable for me!

Comment

All around, I really couldn't decide which book was my favorite. They were all so well written that I could never put them down (and me being impatient and wanting to know everything right away didn't help with trying to prolong the experience). Each had laugh out loud instances when I would read a line and then giggle uncontrollably for ten minutes, but then each had moments when the characters would do something that I really disliked (but hey, I suppose that makes them more realistic; well, as realistic as vampires can be). The conversations in each book are what held my interest the most. I could honestly spend eternity listening to the Cullens talk and interact. They are the ones that held my interest the most. Whenever Alice spoke I smiled, and Emmett's lines were gold. Their histories were also extremely intriguing, and they were sprinkled throughout the series. So I suppose that certain story archs are what captivate me and not specific books. I sometimes pick up a book and only read a chapter or two because that was the part that held my interest.

Even though I can't pick a favorite, Twilight will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the book that brought me over. I was never a fan of the whole Twilight universe until August last year when I was bored out of my mind and bought the book so I wouldn't have to reread my home collection for the umpteenth time. From that day on, I was a convert and couldn't wait to get my hands on the rest. The ones that I reread the most are Twilight and Midnight Sun. Together, those two books tell different sides of the same story, and that's what make them so intriguing. MS granted my wish when it gave me access to Edward's thoughts, something I'd wanted dearly while reading from Bella and Jacob's points of view.

All in all, I don't think any of the books can really stand on their own--they each need the elements and knowledge we gain from each story to survive (except for maybe Twilight, but that's only because it's the first). I don't really think of them as individual books but more as parts of a whole, a whole that I enjoy very much and wouldn't want any other way.
                                      Love isn't brains, children! It's blood, blood screaming inside you to work its will.

Comment

Eclipse is probably my favorite. And least favorite is Breaking Dawn. I had alot of expectations for that book and was just left unsatisfied with it. I really don't like the Nessie/Jacob imprinting thing. I always found the fact that you could imprint on little kids really odd and that it was such a grey area as to how the imprinter felt towards the imprintee. And I just think it's weird that he goes from loving bella to loving her daughter and like no one seems to care after awhile. I ship Bella/Edward but I've always felt that Bella liked Jacob in a boyfriend way and she just wouldn't admit it.. Also it totally sucked that like there wasn't a big huge epic battle or anything. Everyone just went there seperate ways and lived happily ever after *end scene* Just blegh.
                                        Kara
                                        Hellmouth Tourist
                                        Last edited by Kara; 03-03-09, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X