Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British slang

I'd love to have a website with a dictionary to British slang

Also, how do you think Spike will say this sentence: "Sides, I've seen them party here before"? It's the word party I wanna change. He's talking about a few teenage troublemakers in a teenage club.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
    I'd love to have a website with a dictionary to British slang

Also, how do you think Spike will say this sentence: "Sides, I've seen them party here before"? It's the word party I wanna change. He's talking about a few teenage troublemakers in a teenage club.
    Depends what you mean by party - is he being ironic, does he mean have a fight? Or does he actually mean hanging out? I don't think there's an equivalent UK verb to the US "party" (though it is used occasionally itself). Hmm... maybe just "hanging around"?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
      Depends what you mean by party - is he being ironic, does he mean have a fight? Or does he actually mean hanging out? I don't think there's an equivalent UK verb to the US "party" (though it is used occasionally itself). Hmm... maybe just "hanging around"?
      Yeah, I meant hanging out... so you think hanging around works?
      Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Yeah, I meant hanging out... so you think hanging around works?
        Hanging around, yeah. It implies slight delinquency I think

Comment

Someone on LJ made a post recently about Brit-speak as opposed to American, with a list of resources. Lemme see if I can dig it out...

Here.

Actually, that would be a good one for the fanfic resource thread...

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the great help

One question before I check Jo's link, how do teenage boys say "I'm gonna nail this girl." in British slang?
            Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the great help

One question before I check Jo's link, how do teenage boys say "I'm gonna nail this girl." in British slang?
              "I'm in there." If they're being less-than-direct or "I'm going to shag her." If being direct. If it's not a dead cert, it might be an expression of desire like: "I'd do her"

Or if they want to be a bit surreal: "I'm going to part the furry seas."

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                "I'm in there." If they're being less-than-direct or "I'm going to shag her." If being direct. If it's not a dead cert, it might be an expression of desire like: "I'd do her"
                Or even when bragging to a mate about a prospective date: "I reckon I'm well in there."

Comment

LOL!! Great lines, but I'm not sure if they work here, here's the actual line from my fic:

"It was a bet. He wanted to prove that he could nail her after Sam got her to smoke weed."

The ones in Italics are what I want to change to make the line sound more British.
                  Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

LOL!! Great lines, but I'm not sure if they work here, here's the actual line from my fic:

"It was a bet. He wanted to prove that he could nail her after Sam got her to smoke weed."

The ones in Italics are what I want to change to make the line sound more British.
                    He's say "Do her". "He wanted to prove that he could do her."

As for what she might have smoked, I can think of a few variations. Oh, on the link I gave there is a link to another site, 'A Briton's Guide to confusing and Embarrasing words' - that gives a few, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post
                      He's say "Do her". "He wanted to prove that he could do her."

As for what she might have smoked, I can think of a few variations. Oh, on the link I gave there is a link to another site, 'A Briton's Guide to confusing and Embarrasing words' - that gives a few, as well.
                      Thank you. I'm checking The Very Best of British, The American's Guide to Speaking British and it's very good.
                      Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Jo's "do her" sounds right.

and how about "after sam got her smoking weed"? ( I mean, there are infinite ways of saying weed/dope/hash, but I'm afraid I couldn't answer to what's the latest slang!).

Comment

Well I can think we would say . . ' after Sam got her to ave a joint ' maybe, or spliff or even ave some green. I can imagine people sayin that, but thats the way us 'yorkshire' lot say it lol (no h's). Probably the same though.

Comment

For 'smoke weed' people near me would say 'smoke a joint'.

And as for 'nail her' it depends on where you are really. Around Newcastle, it's either, 'do her' 'f*** her' or 'get into her'

sigpic
                            ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

I love how there's a thread about British slang, but not one about American slang, as if the British are all supposed to understand the American slang, but the American's don't have a clue about British.

As for the thing about weed, not that I know what it's about, around here people say "smoke pot", but that's probably the same as in America.
                              sigpic

Comment

Haha, Matt, exactly. I'm of German mothertongue, yet a British family moved to the apartment block we lived in when I was 6, and I spent many years with their girls and grew up with (British) English as something like my second mothertongue (though I tend to make mistakes since I wasn't really brought up with it from the beginning), so I tend to understand British slang a lot easier (although the girls' parents didn't really want them to speak slang, but they couldn't hide the funny words and phrases from then when they stayed in England for their holidays ). So, I tend to say stuff like "bugger", "bollocks" and "bloody hell" a lot (yes, I've said that before being exposed to Buffy already ), but some of the American stuff was new to me.
                                Sin is what I feast upon
                                I'm forging my crematorium
                                Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I'm a Yorkshire lass (here, here!) haha, and this is how i would rephrase them:

"Sides, I've seen them party here before"

-- "Anyway, I've seen them lot hang out here before."

-- "He was trying to prove he could shag her after Sam got her a bit of green. Just for a laugh, like."

There's soo many variations on how to say it...
                                  I hope i helped!

x
                                  "Blue in the face with a choking regret."

Comment

If anyone needs help with Southern California anything, I'm here. Like if you need some ideas for landmarks, cities, popular restaurants, popular foods, grocery stores, brand names, store names, So.Cal-flavored slang, weather, clothing, Valspeak, Spanglish, Mexicanisms or anything of that sort, I can definitely help.

A good example of a writer in the Jossverse who really knows how to use familiarity with So.Cal is Jane Espensen. The fact that she took 'halfway between L.A. and Sunnydale' to mean the Denny's in Oxnard is priceless.
                                    NileQT87
                                    The Dark Avenger
                                    Last edited by NileQT87; 27-01-09, 12:03 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Allow the boy from the other continent a dumb question... What's Valspeak?

And I didn't really get that Denny's thing either, to be honest. I mean, it's a restaurant chain as far as I know (guess it equals Wienerwald here, just without excessive use of chicken ), but is it very typical of California?
                                      Sin is what I feast upon
                                      I'm forging my crematorium
                                      Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Allow the boy from the other continent a dumb question... What's Valspeak?
                                        I'm guessing here I know, but does it stand for 'Valley speak'?

Comment

Working...
                                        X