Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird habits in your country.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weird habits in your country.

    I never really thought about this, but I just found out that it's really weird that we (Dutch people) dip our french fries in the mayo.

    Everybody does this in the Netherlands and I never knew that this was something 'Dutch'. How could somebody eat fries without lots of mayo?

    Other 'fries in mayo dippers'? Or do you and the other people in your country have other 'weird'/'unique' habit?


    edit:
    Okay too early with the thread. It's not something Dutch, but something that happens in more countries in Europe. Good because I was thinking that I was crazy that I never noticed the weirdness after eating fries (with mayo) in lots of countries.
    Nina
    and her haircut.
    Last edited by Nina; 21-01-09, 11:51 PM.


  • #2
    LMAO! The fries in mayo is very weird. I've tried it before (I was starving and there were no other condiments available) and its not as freaky as it sounds. Not too bad at all. I've had it a couple times later but there were people around and I was fairly ewwww'ed at by them. Plus, fatty.

    I love ketchup and/or vinegar on my fries.

    Lydia made the punch!

    Comment


    • #3
      Fries are best, to me, with ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, or ranch dressing. They'd probably be pretty good with buffalo sauce. I don't care for mayo in general, though. Maybe some in tuna salad.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

      Comment


      • #4
        We dip fries in ketchup or "pink sauce" (mayo+ketchup). I love both of this options! As for mayo, there might be people who eat fries with mayo, but I don't think it's that common, here!

        |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
        Icon by xiperita

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, I'm pretty sure every country does the fries and mayo thing. We do that here in the U.S too (at least in MN ) AND a group of us at our highschool would always make the "pink sauce" as Francy calls it for our fries/hamburgers and that little concoction spread like wild fire to the point it was weird when people ONLY took ketchup.

          One thing that's a tad odd and I have no idea if it's only in the U.S (probably not) but putting ketchup in their mac & cheese or putting ketchup on their eggs. Or what about dunking their pizza in ranch? Anyone do that?
          T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

          Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

          Comment


          • #6
            We also put kethup on eggs and macaroni. But it's not the normal thing to do here, more something that happens.

            Another very Dutch thing;
            We use the bike, everybody and always.

            and Dutch supporters can be a tat weird, especially with soccer and speed skating. The most people wear weird orange heads and clothes, while singing stupid-happy songs.

            Comment


            • #7
              In France they do the fries/mayo thing, I thought that's where it originated from? When I was in Paris it was awesome because even the Mc Donald's gave you little packets of Mayo which they don't do over here in Australia or when I was in the UK. I think it's very nice, it tastes really good. I do put wedges with mayo and sweet chili sauce and mix that together.. it's very nice.

              In Australia they put the ketchup on eggs so I'm not sure if it's just a US thing Holypotatoes But I've never seen anyone put ketchip on Mac & Cheese before...

              In Australia we put ketchup in our meat (mince) pies and our sausage rolls when you get them from the bakery but I noticed in the UK that they don't do that. I asked for some sauce and they looked at me as if I was an idiot lol whereas in the bakery's in Australia they always ask you if you want sauce or not and if you say yes they just stick the tube into the top of your pie and squirt some inside.. it tastes a lot better!

              ~ Banner by Nina ~

              Comment


              • #8
                Do people outside the US ever chicken-fry steaks? Or fry turkeys?
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

                Comment


                • #9
                  We also get those little mayo packages with our fries. I love eating fries at the Mac.

                  Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  Do people outside the US ever chicken-fry steaks? Or fry turkeys?
                  We can probably get it at some dinners, but it's not something we eat a lot here.


                  Other Dutch weirdness;
                  We don't have Santa, no presents for us with Christmas.
                  Nina
                  and her haircut.
                  Last edited by Nina; 22-01-09, 12:42 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                    Do people outside the US ever chicken-fry steaks? Or fry turkeys?
                    Mmm not so much. I'm sure you can get it at some places but I don't think theres too much fried turkeys out there in Oz.

                    Originally posted by Nina View Post
                    We also get those little mayo packages with our fries. I love eating fries at the Mac.
                    As do I

                    Other Dutch weirdness;
                    We don't have Santa, no presents for us with Christmas.
                    Oh what! I just couldn't do that I love Santa, I know it shouldn't be but gift giving and Santa Claus are just part of Xmas for me! How do you cope! Do you still give gifts at all to one another?

                    ~ Banner by Nina ~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What do people eat on pizza in your countries? In the US, I notice huge differences just from region to region.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                        Oh what! I just couldn't do that I love Santa, I know it shouldn't be but gift giving and Santa Claus are just part of Xmas for me! How do you cope! Do you still give gifts at all to one another?
                        We have the original Santa, we've Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas). The story goes that he gave poor childeren presents when it was his birthday. Kids do get lots of presents with Sinterklaas, it's the best day of the year for kids. Only when the kids are 'too' old, the most families stop or buy only a small present (socks, candy or a CD).

                        Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                        What do people eat on pizza in your countries? In the US, I notice huge differences just from region to region.
                        In the Netherlands we can choose between American Pizzas and Italian Pizzas. In the most cases we eat Italian pizzas. And there are lots of choices.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by holypotatoes View Post
                          Yeah, I'm pretty sure every country does the fries and mayo thing. We do that here in the U.S too (at least in MN ) AND a group of us at our highschool would always make the "pink sauce" as Francy calls it for our fries/hamburgers and that little concoction spread like wild fire to the point it was weird when people ONLY took ketchup.

                          One thing that's a tad odd and I have no idea if it's only in the U.S (probably not) but putting ketchup in their mac & cheese or putting ketchup on their eggs. Or what about dunking their pizza in ranch? Anyone do that?
                          OMG. I love this. My american friend taught me about ranch to dip pizza in... delicious!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                            What do people eat on pizza in your countries? In the US, I notice huge differences just from region to region.
                            Almost every vegetable/mushroom/meat/cheese you can name, in all the possible combinations! But then, it's kinda a given, since it's one of our national dishes!

                            I can't think of weird/unique things Italian people do.. there must be, but I can't think of any!

                            |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                            Icon by xiperita

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Brown sauce anyone? It's something I've always thought of as intrinsicly British but anyone else use this condiment?

                              On chips I've been known to do mayo, brown sauce and ketchup all at the same time. Messy but tasty. cheesy chips is also yum.
                              JUST ENOUGH KILL

                              sigpic
                              Banner by Ciderdrinker

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Weird things English people do... appologise when someone else bumps into them.

                                I think pretty much any English food that's traditional is pretty weird. I mean, steak and kidney pie? Spotted dick (ehehheheh sorry)... mushy peas...and then the fact that we invent our own curries that Indian people would probably think are disgusting (usually making them super hot for macho self affirmation, such as the Phal (I think it's spelled like that) that I tried once and felt like I was going to die of mouth loss.


                                -- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by tangent View Post
                                  Brown sauce anyone? It's something I've always thought of as intrinsicly British but anyone else use this condiment?

                                  On chips I've been known to do mayo, brown sauce and ketchup all at the same time. Messy but tasty. cheesy chips is also yum.
                                  Brown sauce? Do you mean gravy? Coz we do that. We. Haha, australians

                                  Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                                  Weird things English people do... appologise when someone else bumps into them.

                                  I think pretty much any English food that's traditional is pretty weird. I mean, steak and kidney pie? Spotted dick (ehehheheh sorry)... mushy peas...and then the fact that we invent our own curries that Indian people would probably think are disgusting (usually making them super hot for macho self affirmation, such as the Phal (I think it's spelled like that) that I tried once and felt like I was going to die of mouth loss.
                                  Yes... mouth loss is... tricky... unpleasant, at best.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Brown sauce? Do you mean gravy? Coz we do that. We. Haha, australians
                                    Nah not gravy. Brown sauce is a slightly spicy, fruity sauce the consistency of ketchup. Probably the most famous brand is HP sauce (HP stands for house of parliament where it apparently originates.)

                                    Here a bit more info
                                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

                                    sigpic
                                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      I love brown sauce, especially in my bacon or sausage roll, I also sometimes have brown sauce with chips (or fries)
                                      I think us British are definately weird I think a lot of countries think we are strange. Most countries are known for something really important or fascinating but we are known for fish and chips Which I love btw, I have them at least once a week. Over here you can't go to the seaside without having fish and chips. A lot of people I know have mayo on their chips it is not strange over here.

                                      Also tea is very british, I have so many cups a day, I am very rarely without a cup of tea. Another thing is we are probably the most apologetic people in the world, whether it is our fault or not we have to apologise
                                      sigpic

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I live in the South in the US, which can sometimes be its own country...and if they had their way it would be.

                                        They eat pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, pickled peaches...they will just about pickle anything and eat it. They eat chitterlings...which is parts of pigs that are best left undescribed. The South is just weird and their food...well I'd rather have fish and chips.

                                        The whole mayo with french fries thing is gross to me, but I have seen lots of people do it. My husband eats bbq sauce with biscuits, so I can't pick on people too much.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X