Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veronika Decides to Die - new SMG movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronika Decides to Die - new SMG movie!

Okay so I don't know if anyone else is excited for this movie but I am totally ready for another one of Sarah's movies to come out. And I want this one to actually get screened in the THEATER, none of this direct to dvd nonsense that's been happening with all of her other movies (even though they have been fairly good). Veronika Decides to Die is actually a book written by Paulo Coelho and it's apparently really good but since I haven't read it, I can't officially tell you just how good it is. If you have read it though, a penny for your thoughts or at least a . Anyhoo, I'm just letting ya'll know that the trailer for Veronika is finally out and I thought I'd share to get you guys just as excited as I am. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L4SrqEufiBQ
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Ooh, interesting. I've just been reading the novel. It's very dark and strange (though weirdly uplifting). Set largely in a mental institution, it explores the nature of madness, the nature of normality, and what makes life worth living.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I'm reading that book exactly now!!! Omg, what a coincidence!
      Hope the movie does justice to the book, which is indeed really good! (up to where I have read, at least!)

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
      Icon by xiperita

Comment

Ooooh, you two get 's!

So apparently the book IS good. Interesting. Hopefully the movie is just as good. Granted I'm totally biased when it comes to anything SMG related, so I'll think it's great either way but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Francy View Post
          I'm reading that book exactly now!!! Omg, what a coincidence!
          Hope the movie does justice to the book, which is indeed really good! (up to where I have read, at least!)
          Hee! Book twins!

I'm curious to see what the film does with the book, which is quite "interior" if you know what I mean? Quite reflective. Though, I suppose a lot of those reflections involve remembered conversations, so they could just cut around in time.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Wow, that trailer was really good. SMG looked great and I loved the scenes shown, plus the director and the story sound awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing this now.
            sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Well kiddies, apparently the trailer I posted already wasn't the "official" one because a new trailer has weaseled its way out of the woodwork! SO.... here's the even newer trailer and on January 9th the full Veronika website will be up and running. I guess we'll have a place to check on the movies progress then.

Comment

I've read the book and I'm sorry to say but it's total crap. I had heard many opinions about Coelho (he is very famous indeed), some people praising the books and others saying there awful, so I decided to read one to decide for myself and incidentally it was "Veronika Decides To Die". So, it's basically a novel that takes a bunch of cheap "truths" (probably found from fortune cookies) and presents them as revelations or some sort of higher "knowing", or rather shoves down your throat. It felt to me that it's a sort of book that those who generally don't read much take and say: "This book changed my life, it was so profoooound", or a book for those who think Dan Brown is literary fiction. I don't know... I mean I really don't read only Banville or Coetzee or whatever myself, I do read lot of crap too (say, cheap vamp novels or chick-lit etc) but these at least are honest crap! But that Coelho guy really seems to think that what he's writing is actual literature. I don't know... reading this book really was insulting my intelligence. But that really was only my very personal opinion on the book. I mean I know several people myself who really liked it!

But I'm thinking, with right screenplay this movie could actually be something. And after all, bad as it is, the book is an international bestseller so I really hope it draws some attention to the movie. And the trailer doesn't look bad at all. I am definitely going to see the movie (should it make it to theatres) or rent if it comes out on DVD. And I do hope for Sarah that the movie is good. Also David Thewlis plays there, that could be a good sign too...
                sigpic
                banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Originally posted by missperoxide View Post
                  I've read the book and I'm sorry to say but it's total crap. I had heard many opinions about Coelho (he is very famous indeed), some people praising the books and others saying there awful, so I decided to read one to decide for myself and incidentally it was "Veronika Decides To Die". So, it's basically a novel that takes a bunch of cheap "truths" (probably found from fortune cookies) and presents them as revelations or some sort of higher "knowing", or rather shoves down your throat. It felt to me that it's a sort of book that those who generally don't read much take and say: "This book changed my life, it was so profoooound", or a book for those who think Dan Brown is literary fiction. I don't know... I mean I really don't read only Banville or Coetzee or whatever myself, I do read lot of crap too (say, cheap vamp novels or chick-lit etc) but these at least are honest crap! But that Coelho guy really seems to think that what he's writing is actual literature. I don't know... reading this book really was insulting my intelligence. But that really was only my very personal opinion on the book. I mean I know several people myself who really liked it!

But I'm thinking, with right screenplay this movie could actually be something. And after all, bad as it is, the book is an international bestseller so I really hope it draws some attention to the movie. And the trailer doesn't look bad at all. I am definitely going to see the movie (should it make it to theatres) or rent if it comes out on DVD. And I do hope for Sarah that the movie is good. Also David Thewlis plays there, that could be a good sign too...
                  Yeah, I think you have a point. How many people feel 'The alchemist' changed their lives? But I guess, the thing is, it may have. My main gripe is simply that all his books (that I have read, I've not read many) are all the same. Having said that, I enjoyed both 'The alchemist' and 'Veronika decides to die'... I still remember the name of the cute French Canadian backpacker in Vienna who recommended them *snaps back to the present day* ...He was lovely...

Anyways! I think SMG is awesome, and I'm sure she can bring something amazing to this movie, so I'll definately see it. My main concern is it's supposed to be set in Ljubljana and I'm not sure if this is being upheld, and I think the location is a big draw card of the story...

Comment

Looks like a very interesting film, and a great role for Sarah to play!
                    I look forward to seeing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                      My main concern is it's supposed to be set in Ljubljana and I'm not sure if this is being upheld, and I think the location is a big draw card of the story...
                      I'm pretty sure the movie is being set in New York, not Ljubljana. I'm not sure how many movie goers even know how to pronounce Ljubljana let alone know where in the world that is.

Comment

The fact that it took place in Ljubljana was actually quite important part of the book. And the fact that Veronika was Slovenian.
                        But, as I've said the book isn't exactly something to write home about, so the more they change it the better I guess.

And Veverka, having cute French Canadian recommend you the book is good enough excuse to read it. I know I would have
                        sigpic
                        banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

The trailer looks really good!
                          "No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after." -Lie to me

Comment

I'm really interested to both read the book and watch the movie. I've read 'The Alchemist'...it didn't change my life or anything, but I did think it was very good. Kind of an adult fairy tale. I hope SMG gets some critical acclaim! I think she has had some pretty poor movie choices in the past, but I know she has it in her to do some awesome work! I mean, look at "Buffy"..
                            I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Comment

Working...
                            X