Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight - MOVIE

SPOILERS
    You probably should not read this if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled in any way ^^.

I saw Dana's post in Twilight movie speculations, but I thought we just had to open up a new thread! I saw the movie yesterday, (with Signe ) but I am still jumping up and down, from the excitement of me actually liking the movie!

I did like the movie... ! I am so surprised... I did not have very high expectations, although I've followed eveything movie-like the past... six months ^^. But wow it was actually quite awesome!!! Althought I'm not very sure I think it was very true to the book, it felt like a good movie out of Twilight anyway!

And I just have to say, I think the actors were incredible! Kellan Lutz was excactly as fun as I thought him to be. Jackson rathbone looked like he wanted to kill himself or possibly was in pain. And Ashley Green, Peter Facinelli and Nikki Reed did awesome, although they didn't really make as huge an impression on me as the ones above! However, Robert Pattinson... OMG he was gorgeous, (but that we already knew ^^) but he was an amazing Edward! His facial expressions!!! I thought I were going to die, of all the laughing! Oh and I have to mention I believe the humour in the movie was quite good, and funny! I thought they had lost it all, to go for the romantic pov, but oh was I amazingly and happily surprised ! Charlie was hillarious, and Eric too. On the other hand, I think both Edward, but certeinly Bella could have been more than a notch more funny. I did miss Bellas witty remarks ^^. And while I'm on it, I did miss a lot of scenes, but then again, I still think it did good !

But please do discuss it here, I need to actually not kill my friend with all the Twilight talk ^^. I am going to see it again next week (without the constant squeling of the 400 girls in the room, I actually felt normal, for once in my life ^^), with some of my other friends, but I can't wait!
    Last edited by aldieb; 21-11-08, 10:53 PM. Reason: cos I can't stop jumping
    aldieb is walking the road

OMG! *dies*

I just saw it again this morning, I had to after going last night (aka, this morning... same difference! )

Yes, this movie was absolutely awesome. I think it was perfect in how they took the book to the big screen, they kept a lot of great lines and they added some awesome scenes and holy crap, there really aren't actual thoughts, mostly fangirl squeeing and tiredness because I only got about three hours of sleep last night. *g* Had to see it again!

Overall, I will say that it wasn't the best movie... but it was absolutely the best movie that they could have made with what they worked with! I was completely dazzled, it was like watching my book come to life on screen, and I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot the first time and the second time I wanted to squee all the way through it again! I'm seriously considering seeing it again tomorrow morning before work, again!

I will agree, Anna, that everyone did an awesome job in this film, although I really wanted to see some more Alice and Jasper, and Emmett! And Esme! Although we're lucky we did get them, didn't the original script have all of them cut out? *shame* But I personally think Nikki Reed was an excellent Rosalie, her attitude was right now, and Jasper? Oh, sweet mother, I wanted to make out with the screen in the baseball scenes, oh he was all cool and Alice was amazing! Peter Facinelli nailed Carlisle, no doubt about it, his fatherly attitude and his voice. Also, hotness! But I must say that Billy Burke playing Charlie was just the best. All of the subtle movements and emotions were played out wonderfully, and it all started with the sideways glance at the beginning of the movie. They also did a lovely job with Renee (can't remember her real name) for the actress, she was very everywhere, but so loving towards Bella.

Alright, as for Bella and Edward? and No other words! I think Kristen Stewart did an awesome job as Bella (and I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'd read the books after I knew who had been cast, so she's always been my Bella) and her awkwardness and attraction to Edward was done very well. Robert Pattinson owned this role. When he first smelled Bella, *gah!* I also had to laugh because of how obvious he was, but alas, movie, and then Bella smelled herself. *glee* Their chemistry is powerful in this movie and I love how they played off each other, it was so well done, there was immediate sparkage!

I also think Hardwicke did an awesome job communicating the basics of the book, I have to admit it has the same obsessive quality as the books do, both times I got out, I wanted to back in and watch it all over! I think they did the book good, very good, and I loved the open-ending that they left, with Victoria. And holy moly, James was immensely more freaky in the movie than they let on in the trailers and TV spots.

And cripes if I must admit this, but I liked Taylor Lautner as Jacob. He was so sweet and smitten with Bella and I think he has awesome potential for the next movie (yeah, yeah? I've seen it twice already, planning on fifty more trips, I have no doubt that this will do good by the time its run is done in theaters).

On a side note: I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DVD! In the credits, they were showing all these scenes not in the movie and HOLY **** I want it! /end randomness.

Jessica was perfect. Mike was annoying and perfect for his role, I like how they made him more obnoxious, it was perfect. And the scene when he's asking her to prom and she's just staring at Edward? OMG! That was beautifully filmed! I loved it and I felt bad for him because Bella is completely elsewhere.

I have too many favorite scenes already. The ones sticking out are when they kiss in the bedroom, and Edward flies off of her! That was hot and then she fell asleep on him (one thing to note is they did a good job capturing all of the build up we got in the book of their relationship, and how they get to know each other). Another is the kitchen with the Cullens. Esme RULED! Emmett was hilarious and Rosalie! *gah* The bitch is in, and I loved it. I don't even know, I have more, but I can't think. I had four espress shots to wake up this morning and now I'm crashing and this Wendy's salad is the best tasting thing ever, and I think it's because I'm so tired. I'll have more thoughts as I think about it later.

Alas, I loved it. I ADORED it! It was everything I thought and more, IMO. I so can't wait to see it... again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bre View Post
      I will agree, Anna, that everyone did an awesome job in this film, although I really wanted to see some more Alice and Jasper, and Emmett! And Esme! Although we're lucky we did get them, didn't the original script have all of them cut out? *shame* But I personally think Nikki Reed was an excellent Rosalie, her attitude was right now, and Jasper? Oh, sweet mother, I wanted to make out with the screen in the baseball scenes, oh he was all cool and Alice was amazing! Peter Facinelli nailed Carlisle, no doubt about it, his fatherly attitude and his voice. Also, hotness! But I must say that Billy Burke playing Charlie was just the best. All of the subtle movements and emotions were played out wonderfully, and it all started with the sideways glance at the beginning of the movie. They also did a lovely job with Renee (can't remember her real name) for the actress, she was very everywhere, but so loving towards Bella.
      Jessica was perfect. Mike was annoying and perfect for his role, I like how they made him more obnoxious, it was perfect. And the scene when he's asking her to prom and she's just staring at Edward? OMG! That was beautifully filmed! I loved it and I felt bad for him because Bella is completely elsewhere.
      Personally I really have to say I think the casting was the best and the most perfect thing about the movie! And I was glad we got to see even a bit of the Cullens (and what perfect and adorable moment they were ^^), as I think as you said, they had cut a lot! And Charlie... I loved his improved lines . The pepper spray! and the gloria..., and the gun when she is telling him about Edward for the first time! It is simply awesome! And hillarious! And if not for the script I would still have loved the movie out of the awesome actors (I actually went to the cinema, looking forward to 2 hours of staring at them, since I didn't have much hope about the script, I thought they were going for totally cheesy chic flick!) I love how it didn't become one of those cheesy things, it totally had the mocking tone, and I luuurved it! It felt like the same kind of feeling the book gave, it feels like they kind of mock, regular romantic stuff and especially the trailers! I mean they seem so sweet, but really in the movie, they are a lot fonnier ! Me happy !

Alright, as for Bella and Edward? and No other words! I think Kristen Stewart did an awesome job as Bella (and I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'd read the books after I knew who had been cast, so she's always been my Bella) and her awkwardness and attraction to Edward was done very well. Robert Pattinson owned this role. When he first smelled Bella, *gah!* I also had to laugh because of how obvious he was, but alas, movie, and then Bella smelled herself. *glee* Their chemistry is powerful in this movie and I love how they played off each other, it was so well done, there was immediate sparkage!
      Yes, the chemistry is simply awesome! But I did miss the witty comments from both of them *pouty pouty*. And gaaah! The biology scene! I thought I was going to die, from all the laughing! He looked like he were going to barf or something! I think it was simply hilarious! And I LOVE sneaky hilarious moments!

The kitchen scene!!! It is awesome! *Anna died* And the kissing scene when he flies of was simply perfect, I thought! I thought, it was going to be hard to show the tension, but when he flies right into the wall... it was simply perfect! But I did miss that she was supposed to nearly faint when they kiss *pouty again *

But gaah! And yey! And Gah again! I want to see it again! I have memory as a goldfish and feel I have forgotten all the best parts! And btw Bre I love your randomness ^^. And I have such a hard time remebering what I want to be said, when i write this, cos my mind is spinnign and I am still jumping up and down, and forward and backwards in my very crazy and Twilight-occupiod brain ^^. Ie, what I am trying to say, my thoughts are in no order, or in any way orginized ^^.
      Last edited by aldieb; 21-11-08, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Thread either needs Spoilers in the thread title and/or spoiler tags on all the posts.

I'm gonna go see it this weekend.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by aldieb View Post
          Personally I really have to say I think the casting was the best and the most perfect thing about the movie! And I was glad we got to see even a bit of the Cullens (and what perfect and adorable moment they were ^^), as I think as you said, they had cut a lot! And Charlie... I loved his improved lines . The pepper spray! and the gloria..., and the gun when she is telling him about Edward for the first time! It is simply awesome! And hillarious! And if not for the script I would still have loved the movie out of the awesome actors (I actually went to the cinema, looking forward to 2 hours of staring at them, since I didn't have much hope about the script, I thought they were going for totally cheesy chic flick!)
          Me, too! But if you think about it, the entire book series is made of complete cheese, and I love how that was communicated so nicely, and on top of that bringing in the Edward from Midnight Sun, which again, kudos to Robert Pattinson for getting that across, I loved the moments of angst for him, like when she asks if he gots contacts and he's like, "It's the lights" and then when he was walking away, I was like, keep walking, I wanna keep staring at your hips and that was random, And a long sentence.

Yes, the chemistry is simply awesome! But I did miss the witty comments from both of them *pouty pouty*. And gaaah! The biology scene! I thought I was going to die, from all the laughing! He looked like he were going to barf or something! I think it was simply hilarious! And I LOVE sneaky hilarious moments!
          Hahahahaha! I know! It was funny as hell, and I keep saying this, but only made better when Bella sniffed her hair. The second time around, without all the squealing and giggling in the theater was so much better. Instead of rabid tweenies, there were adults this morning. You rock, high school, for keeping them in! Back to what I was saying, the second time around was a lot better to watch, mostly because you could actually concentrate on what was happening, instead of my intial screaming thoughts, so... I guess what I'm saying is see it again.

The kitchen scene!!! It is awesome! *Anna died* And the kissing scene when he flies of was simply perfect, I thought! I thought, it was going to be hard to show the tension, but when he flies right into the wall... it was simply perfect! But I did miss that she was supposed to nearly faint when they kiss *pouty again *
          Wasn't it?! I love that he attacked her and then flew off, that was beautiful and so not in the book! Just another thing added in to communicate the hundreds of pages they couldn't keep in the film. I think it would have been hilarious to see KStew fainting on the big screen from kissing, although it might have been a little over the top... pretty much, too much like the book, because they tried to get so much in, to make her so fascinated and utterly taken with him, yet get to the point of the plot, so adding that cheesy moment in would have kind of annoyed, IMO. Like, she's gonna confront him (something I really liked in the movie!) when he glares at her, and then she faints. I think it wouldn't have worked because Kristen Stewart brought a little more oomph to the role than what Bella was in the book.

But gaah! And yey! And Gah again! I want to see it again! I have memory as a goldfish and feel I have forgotten all the best parts! And btw Bre I love your randomness ^^. And I have such a hard time remebering what I want to be said, when i write this, cos my mind is spinnign and I am still jumping up and down, and forward and backwards in my very crazy and Twilight-occupiod brain ^^.
          Dude! I keep randomly squeeing, so you are so not the only one!!

And in randomess, Heather! I snorted from the laughter of your comment.

Comment

Saw it last night! Thought they did an excellent job adapting Book to film. Not too many variations.

Special effects were good! The flying, running - I especially love the scene where she guesses and he reveals he is a vampire.

My one complaint was there was too many "Long Looks" between them - yes they were romantic and - hey - Pattinson is yummy to look at! - but at some points it felt like film filler. You know what I mean? And I kept thinking they could have squeezed in a few more action parts if there hadn't been so many "romantic gazes" however I'm sure they were trying to build the significance of the relationship.

The chemistry was really nice! That was very important and felt the two actors did a great job portraying the relationship.

Did not like Bella's prom dress...SM's version was better.

Really liked the choice of actors for the villians - and I don't know - I think seeing the actress portray Victoria somehow makes her scarrier! So, I really hope they turn out more movies!

I'm ready to go see it again! I'm thinking DVD will be out around Valentine's day?
            -TP<3
            "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
            - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

*covers eyes* not reading spoilers, not reading spoilers, lalalala....

ok, but I did want to post this news article about Twilight's release....

source: here

NO SEX, VIOLENCE OR STARS, YET #1: 'Twilight' Takes Biggest $35.7M Bite Out Of Box Office Friday; Bond #2, 'Bolt' #3
              SATURDAY AM: Summit Entertainment's low cost blockbuster Twilight opened huge as expected because of heavy pre-sales with $35.7M Friday from 3,419 theaters, including $7M worth of Thursday midnight shows, for what should be $75M for its first North American weekend in release. Fangirls -- or should I say fang-girls -- were buying 5 Twilight tickets per second as of early Friday morning, making Twilight online ticket-seller Fandango's fastest-selling film since The Dark Knight last July. Then the tween and teen females in store bought or homemade Twilight clothes (and even Twilight tattoos) flocked to the first Big Screen version of Stephenie Meyer's bestselling series of Romeo & Juliet-style vampire romance books. Yet the movie adaptation was made by start-up studio Summit for only $37M. This will be the start of a big new franchise since a sequel is already in the works -- New Moon, based on Meyer's second book in the series. The first box office records have already been broken by Twilight's girl power. This is the biggest opening for a female director. Catherine Hardwicke is easily beating Mimi Leder's $41.1M for 1998's Deep Impact. (But with an asterisk since these figures aren't adjusted for inflation, ticket prices, etc.) Twilight will have the 2nd best opening day for a November release behind Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire, and the 11th best Friday opening of all time, beating the first Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, and the 15th best opening day ever. Summit is expecting at least another $24M for Saturday and another $15M for Sunday. It's a defining moment for the start-up studio that had really struggled on its first few releases. On Saturday morning, Summit officially announced the greenlight for the New Moon sequel (I'm told to contain costs the studio is considering making sequels #2 and #3 back to back like other successful franchises have done), and Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart formally thanked fans for their support of what is now a movie franchise.
              So, that's just incredible news!
              sigpic

Comment

Such a pleasant surprise! I liked the movie so much more than I expected too. It was a fairly faithful adaptation on the book, the changes were reasonable and the tone seemed spot-on to me.

I have heard a lot of rumors and was, frankly, expecting a train-wreck.

Instead, I think we got a movie that most fans of the book will enjoy. Yes, it's full of teen angst and Velveeta-flavored cheetos-but so is the book. It's part of the fun. (That said-I really think that the whole series would get more respect if the vamps didn't sparkle. The sparkly boy is hard to defend.)

My only disappointments were in a couple of casting choices. Edward and Bella were solid, I think. I've heard complaints about Stewart's Bella, but I wonder if those came from people who are familiar with Bella from the books. She is an odd-duck. She is hard to read and tends to be caught up in her head. She was those things in the movie.
                I'm glad the Cullens were included (I've heard there was a chance we would have seen even less of them.) but a couple of them just didn't live up to their book-counterpoints. Alice was suitably perky and other-worldly and Emmet was perfectly jockish. But Rosalie is described in the book as almost indescribably lovely. The actress that portrayed her did capture her bitchiness, but not the delicate-inhuman beauty that I was led to expect. And Jasper was done up a bit clownish (also where was his special ability?)
                Esme was lovely, but Dr Cullen should clearly have been played by James Marsters. (It needed to be said.)

It was a problem for me that the villains were so much more attractive than the Cullens.

And Jacob...just didn't have the charm I would have hoped for. I'm an Edward fan, but I always understood the pull of Jacob. This Jacob seemed to have no pull for Bella-there was no chemistry between them at all. That seems like a big challenge to the next movie. New Moon-forward very much relies on it being an excepted fact that Jacob is important to Bella. Also Jacob is supposed to be younger than Bella and simply didn't appear so here.

Kudos to the redone First Kiss, Baseball, Biology Class (both) and the very creepy ballet studio scene.

One question though: Spider Monkey?
                "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Wasn't it?! I love that he attacked her and then flew off, that was beautiful and so not in the book! Just another thing added in to communicate the hundreds of pages they couldn't keep in the film. I think it would have been hilarious to see KStew fainting on the big screen from kissing, although it might have been a little over the top... pretty much, too much like the book, because they tried to get so much in, to make her so fascinated and utterly taken with him, yet get to the point of the plot, so adding that cheesy moment in would have kind of annoyed, IMO. Like, she's gonna confront him (something I really liked in the movie!) when he glares at her, and then she faints. I think it wouldn't have worked because Kristen Stewart brought a little more oomph to the role than what Bella was in the book.
                  Yeah I guess you're right, it would have been hard to adapt to the screen. And I really do think she made a great Bella, although... I felt it was something missing... like the wits, but not really. She was a bit too wimpy and didn't really convey the "I'm not afraid part", but chose the "I'm so in love part" instead, a few times. However, I think it was quite great done, and fit well into the movie so I shouldn't complain .

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
                  My one complaint was there was too many "Long Looks" between them - yes they were romantic and - hey - Pattinson is yummy to look at! - but at some points it felt like film filler. You know what I mean? And I kept thinking they could have squeezed in a few more action parts if there hadn't been so many "romantic gazes" however I'm sure they were trying to build the significance of the relationship.
                  Yes I do think the long looks were a few too many, but... the whole movie wasn't really about them! Which I thought were great, since that really was what I had expected . And more action... no I think it was quite filled with action. A bit too much selling the action part, to get a wider audience. I think it was quite well balansed between the romantic, the action filled and the funny parts.Hhowever I am not much for the romantic parts, and I wouldn't mind if they were a bit fewer, but I think they did a good job on that.

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
                  My only disappointments were in a couple of casting choices. Edward and Bella were solid, I think. I've heard complaints about Stewart's Bella, but I wonder if those came from people who are familiar with Bella from the books. She is an odd-duck. She is hard to read and tends to be caught up in her head. She was those things in the movie.
                  I'm glad the Cullens were included (I've heard there was a chance we would have seen even less of them.) but a couple of them just didn't live up to their book-counterpoints. Alice was suitably perky and other-worldly and Emmet was perfectly jockish. But Rosalie is described in the book as almost indescribably lovely. The actress that portrayed her did capture her bitchiness, but not the delicate-inhuman beauty that I was led to expect. And Jasper was done up a bit clownish (also where was his special ability?)
                  Esme was lovely, but Dr Cullen should clearly have been played by James Marsters. (It needed to be said.)
                  Hm I can't say I agree with you there... I think the casting wa sperfect. Ok not really really perfect, cos I never really got Nikki as Rosalie. Probably only because she is such a good friend to Hardwicke, but I still think she did quite a good job (and yes I know, she really isn't as beautiful as she should be, but hen again who is?) And I would have loved to see Jasper's abilites, but on the other hand, how would they show them? Wouldn't it be more than difficult to show how everyone is affected? And btw I loved how he was in the movie ^^...

And Jacob...just didn't have the charm I would have hoped for. I'm an Edward fan, but I always understood the pull of Jacob. This Jacob seemed to have no pull for Bella-there was no chemistry between them at all. That seems like a big challenge to the next movie. New Moon-forward very much relies on it being an excepted fact that Jacob is important to Bella. Also Jacob is supposed to be younger than Bella and simply didn't appear so here.
                  No I didn't really get the charm of Jacob in the movie. And I didn't really get their chemisty eaither, but on the other hand, is there supposed to be that much chemistry between them in the first book? I mean she has only got eyes for Edward in the beginning. And I'm wondering in general how they will do the next movie, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see . Btw, Taylor Lautner is younger than Kristen Stewart, and Jacob isn't supposed to be that much younger. And he does look young in that hair, it's terribly ugly!

... I really didn't get the whole point, it felt like action filling or something... so I have no idea...?

Comment

I hated the whole spider monkey thing... weird much? I just watched the movie TWICE!! It was fricken awesome! But i have to agree with Dorian's kitten about Jasper and Rosalie.. i think they both couldve been better casted. But overall the movie was most excellent.

Comment

Okay - so I had to go see it again tonight! I've been listening to the CD (I bought the last one the other night at Target and there were two other ladies circling the isles! I snatched that baby up and RAN for the check-out! ) So I had to go back tonight and watch it again without the SQUEEEEEEEEEEE fangirl theater (but OH it was so much fun to be in the midst of the opening excitement!) full of GIRLS and WOMEN!

I loved the line we were in - you had preteens, tweens, teens and their MOMS who were just as excited about seeing the movie as their daughters were!

My only disappointments were in a couple of casting choices. But Rosalie is described in the book as almost indescribably lovely. The actress that portrayed her did capture her bitchiness, but not the delicate-inhuman beauty that I was led to expect.
                      I agree with you - she wasn't exactly what I had imagined as Rosalie either.

And Jasper was done up a bit clownish (also where was his special ability?)
                      I forgot all about Jasper's special ability! But thinking about it now, there was a moment on the baseball field when I believe Alice mentions something about "peace" to Jasper. Does anyone else remember that?

Dr Cullen should clearly have been played by James Marsters. (It needed to be said.)
                      So glad you brought that up - - of course I wouldn't have been able to pay attention to Edward nd Bella for staring at the hottness of Dr. James Marsters Carlisle!

It was a problem for me that the villains were so much more attractive than the Cullens.
                      That James was a hottie! And Rachelle LaFavre has such unusual features - I finally figured out why I thought she is so attractive - she reminds me of Cate Blanchett as "Galadriel" in Lord of the Rings.

There wasn't a lot of interaction between them in the movie and what little there was was very "friendly" - no romantic feelings whatsoever. Don't know if this was deliberate so as to not get many hopes up in case there isn't a "New Moon" in the future. They looked around the same age to me. And remember- Jacob kinda "grows" in the next book because of being a wolf - she notices how tall and big he has gotten. So, if this kid gets some age and maturity under his belt it won't be too bad.

Kudos to the redone First Kiss, Baseball, Biology Class (both) and the very creepy ballet studio scene.
                      That first kiss was awesome - I loved his "be still"! SQUEE! Very nice scene!

That wasn't in the book? I thought it was cute!
                      -TP<3
                      "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Yeah, the movie sucked.

Horrible screenplay. It was like a bad summary of the book. It was choppy, rushed, and poorly acted. The casting was ok in some spots, but in others, it was lousy. I can't believe I actually spent money watching this movie.....it was really that bad. I'm really not explaining it well. I know it was a low budget film - and it really showed. But what I didn't like was that they spoke most of the information instead of showing it. Most of the movie was just talking, and I found that annoying. I don't know what else to say to explain myself better. But the books are 10 trillion times better. Don't waste your money on this.
                        sigpic

Comment

Disagree. I think the movie was in many ways an improvement on the book.

Things that the movie does better than the book --
                          • Establish rounded characters in the two leads. Bella had more will, Edward had more humanity, less of a Gary Stu.
                          • Made certain dialogue just... work better. I have to admit, some lines in the books sounded sort of hammy and unnatural in my head when I tried to read them. Here, lines like the lion falling for the lamb is clearly with an understanding of the irony. His explanation of what it means to her that he's a vampire ("everything about me invites you in...") delivered with an edge, trying to convince her to want no part of him.
                          • The central conflict of the other vampires -- much better to establish them in a build-up than to just tack them on in the third act.

Things the book does better than the movie --
                          • More emotional clarity at some vital moments. Perfect example being when Bella leaves Forks. In the book, there is a build up and an understanding, at the time she says it, what it means to her and to Charlie for her to say the same thing her mother said. In the movie, there was no way to set that up and have it hit emotionally as she says it; the dialogue textually draws the comparison to her mom and then she explains it to the audience by telling Edward.
                          • The baseball scene. While this is one of my favorite parts of the movie, I think the movie sort of failed to explain the real point of them playing during a thunderstorm. In fact, when Edward and Emmett collide, they have it happen at the same time as thunder, which sort of misses the point -- I'm not sure if I hadn't read the book that I'd get that they needed the storm to cover the sounds.
                          • The sparkling. Wow, that was a bad effect. I get that it was all soft and romantic, but it suffers from the same basic flaw as the disfigured Phantom in the 2005 "Phantom of the Opera" -- it's not that bad. In the book, I came away with the idea that these guys are so bright in sunlight they are difficult to look at. Like roadflares or something. Very *bright*. In the movie, the sparkling honestly looked like it could be covered up with foundation. Or mistaken for a lot of body glitter.

Casting thoughts -- I actually liked Nikki Reed. She was one of my favorites. She's quite lovely, and I think that she sold the antipathy very well considering how little she was in the movie. I *loved* the brush past of Bella when Bella (correctly) called her out in the game.

Jacob is just flat out too small. Can't see how they won't have to recast this role. Jasper... also seems miscast. I just can't reconcile his backstory with that guy.

I am torn on the Facinelli. In the early scenes, he seemed too young, his accent too clear, to be Carlisle. But, in the ballet studio, he nailed it. I guess he works, but I would rather have seen someone like, for instance, Alexis Denisof here.

Great casting of the Forks kids, I think. Jessica was very cute and bubbly. Mike and Eric both suitable to the role.

The casting of the nomad vampires was very solid, although I think Cam Gigendot's ponytail was a little much. I sort of pictured him as a bit more like Penn from the Angel episode "Somnambulist".

One thing that I was very disappointed by was that they cut out Bella's whole escape from Jasper and Alice. It was a very clever, very brave moment for the character, a very empowered decision. The series affords her so few opportunities to do anything heroic without undermining them, and it's a shame not to see them in the movie.

Only other thing that surprised me was how many iconic lines weren't in there. Maybe not, though -- maybe I only think they are iconic because they are so often quoted and preferred by a lot of "Twilight" fans here For instance, "Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course" -- gone. Alice's play on words of having Bella for dinner -- gone.

No real thoughts beyond those at the moment. I'm looking forward to what Hardwick, as well as Stewart, will do with the pathos in "New Moon".
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Ah now that i have more time i can view my opinions better than my first post.

The sparkling. Wow, that was a bad effect. I get that it was all soft and romantic, but it suffers from the same basic flaw as the disfigured Phantom in the 2005 "Phantom of the Opera" -- it's not that bad. In the book, I came away with the idea that these guys are so bright in sunlight they are difficult to look at. Like roadflares or something. Very *bright*. In the movie, the sparkling honestly looked like it could be covered up with foundation. Or mistaken for a lot of body glitter.
                            Man i was reaally hoping i wasnt the only other one that felt like we got really ripped off with the sparkling effects!! The first time i seen the movie i was with my mom and she had read the book and she was like... WTF you cant even tell!! He's supposed to be almost hard to look at!!! And i thught the same, in the book it was almost described to have been difficult to look at.. i imagined there to be beems of light radiating off of him t to point where you had to shield your eyes with your arm to looks at him. I really hope that in the next movie they will make it much more vibrant. When i seen the movie the second time with my boyfriend who hadnt seen the movie, he just looked at me and was lie.. i dont get it, why cant he go out in the sun in front of people? I had to actually explain to him that edward was supposed to have been sparkling, and only then did he notice in the scence where they were lying in the field.

It was choppy, rushed, and poorly acted.
                            I did agree with Lrae about this though, but only about it being rushed, and choppy. I felt like it shouldve been a three hour long movie due to the fact that it was such a long book. I felt like they took out important parts to fill in new parts. For example they cut out the days where edward questioned her endlessly, and cut out "i need a human moment" and "do i dazzle you" and "i'll stay as long as it is good for you"(which will hurt them in the second movie because that was a big line foreshadowing edward leaving bella IMO) and they also cut out bella cooking for her dad every night. That really kinda peeved me how they were always going out to eat. I feel like that was a big part of bella's character was her love for her dad, and how she felt like she needed to take care of her parents.

I did however think at some points the acting was ... shaky BUT i feel like that was some of the movies charm.. if you think about it with alllll the publicity all of the book/ movie had.The actors had pretty big shoes to fill and i feel like with the BIG exception of jasper all the actors were pretty dead on.

Overall the movie was deff an awesome movie, of course i have my complaints but i feel like if i didnt love the book soo much and if hadnt of read the book first i would love the movie that much more.

Comment

I liked the sparkles...I thought he was pretty... Really! I wondered how they were going to achieve the effect because he was supposed to shine like diamonds. So I wasn't disappointed in the effect.

But yes - I still think some of the "long romantic gazes" could have been put to better use.

One thing with Jasper - he did comment "I've fought their kind before". So, we could be setting Jasper up for the fighter he will become in Breaking Dawn.

I I think they would be doing themselves a favor to combine the next two books - "New Moon" and "Eclipse" so as to avoid the depressing overtones of New Moon. Maybe even combine half of Eclipse with both New Moon and Breaking Dawn. However, "Empire Strikes Back" and "LOTR: Two Towers" - both awkward "middle movies" of big sequels, so maybe New Moon will be somewhat like that - fans will still see it no matter how dark the overtones.

Perhaps if they really focus on the relationship with Jacob it will give it a more positive feel - as well as please Team Jacob! After all, they will need their turn at bat too!

And sorry - I miss the fangs... Could we not have a little fang?
                              Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 26-11-08, 05:26 AM.
                              -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Fangs!!!! I didn't even think of that.. there were no fangs were there?? Man,... i wish there were fangs too!

Comment

I have really mixed feelings- on one hand I like that the director/producer/ whoever decided to make kind of a different film- gets a little arty, or something. On the other hand: maybe classic would have been better? I don't know.

Casting? Loved Alice, loved Jasper, didn't see enough of Esme to know for sure, liked Emmett more than I had expected to. Rosalie? No. There was a lot of Nikki Reed hate around, and I tried not to buy into it, I liked her fine in Thirteen... but.... No. She sucked. I didn't get beautiful, I got stuck up. I didn't get beautiful, I got bad fashion choices for her figure. Harsh? Yes. Too bad. I think there must be hundreds of beautiful blondes in Hollywood, so how it was so hard to cast for that role, I have no idea. As for Carlisle... aahh... I think he was overrated! *ducks to avoid flying objects aimed at head* Oh, Edward and Bella? Meh. Yes, actually, I liked Edward more than I had expected to. As for Bella... I am not too sure. I think she was okay, but I think she overplayed the uncomfortable, like she was playing New Moon Bella already, or something. I mean yes, vampire issue, etc, but she was falling in love for the first time. A smile or two wouldn't go astray!

The baddies? Yes, they were cool. Better than I had expected. The spider monkey thing? What was up with that? With the amount of stuff that was left out, that comment could have been omitted and the time given to something else. The everything? Overall: more good than bad, but if they couldn't fit Twilight into two hours, beats me how they're going to manage Breaking Dawn...

Comment

but if they couldn't fit Twilight into two hours, beats me how they're going to manage Breaking Dawn...
                                    My thoughts EXACTLY! I feel that way about the last three books altogether! All the books have a tremendous amount of vital information that im afraid wil be left out.

Did anybody else feel like the producer/director/writers maybe might have assumed that everybody had read the books and would just naturally know what everything meant? For example: Edward is playing the piano randomly, my b/f who hasnt read the book was like "i dont understand where this came from, is this significant?" I told him it was bella's lulliby. Another being that without knowing what bella is thinking, and obsessing over, wouldnt it seem to an outsider that edward and bella fall in love to fast.. i mean in the movie they barely interacted then BOOM madly in love.I just wish they wouldnt have cut out some vital conversations between bella and edward. and I have other examples but now that im on the spot i cant think of any... but am i alone with this? I guess its easy to assume if your watching twilight odds are you've read it.
                                    Last edited by Theresa Marie86; 26-11-08, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa Marie86 View Post
                                      My thoughts EXACTLY! I feel that way about the alst three movies altogether! All the books have a tremendous amount of vital information that im afraid wil be left out.

Did anybody else feel like the producer/director/writers maybe might have assumed that everybody had read the books and would just naturally know what everything meant? For example: Edward is playing the piano randomly, my b/f who hasnt read the book was like "i dont understand where this came from, is this significant?" I told him it was bella's lulliby. I have other examples but now that im on the spot i cant think of any... but am i alone with this? I guess its easy to assume if your watching twilight odds are you've read it.
                                      Oh, totally. My b/f and I were just talking about the chemistry between Bella and Edward even, and he thought that it was almost a stretch that they fell in love, he thought that was a leap of faith from the books and that it wasn't overly apparent from the movie.

Comment

Thats pretty much what my boyfriend said! He was like "they just met how come they love each other, and edward was even gone half the time she's known him?"

Comment

Working...
                                        X