Main characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main characters

What I wanna know is: do you think that the lead character is important for us to like the show? Or it doesn?t matter much? Do you think if we have a "bad" lead character, sometimes annoying, it ruins the show? Or if we have great secondary characters, that doesn?t even matter?

I've never really hated a main character until I started watching Grey's Anatomy.. I really can't stand Meredith. And it makes watching the show that much harder. Even though I enjoy some of the stories and like the other characters, I find I have to grit my teeth everytime Meredith is on screen. It really puts me off watching. I stopped in the middle of season 4, but then later heard good things about the last few episodes so finished the season. But yeah it does make the show something I won't really ever enjoy in the way I enjoy other shows with a lead character I love, or even like!!!

Comment

I don't think it matters that much, but it certainly helps. You can get through a show without liking the main character, but because a majority of the show's storylines will focus upon that person you are going to find it harder to watch. It'd be like watching Buffy, but missing out a majority of the episodes because they focus on her.
      sigpic

Comment

I definitely think that, although they might not be your favorite character, it is important to at least LIKE the main character. Because, in truth, I don't think anyone would watch a show if they actually hated the main character.

It's an interesting question, because you may relate to certain aspects of the main character even if you don't necessarily prefer them to other characters. The more you watch a series, the more you realize what you do and don't share with the main character. This eventually leads to you liking other characters more, and then thinking "hmm...I don't really like So-and-So all that much."

I'm currently rewatching Buffy and I'm finding that I enjoy the character of Buffy much more than I ever have. I, obviously, felt this same way at the beginning of my Buff-journey, or I never would have watched all of the series. Somewhere along the way I suppressed my Buffy-liking and it turned into Buffy-disliking because I grew to like the supporting characters more.

But, no, I think a main character has to be likable in some way.

The only exception I can think of is David Brent or Michael Scott from The Office (both versions respectively), who are so unlikable as characters but are lovable as wayward people.
        You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

In terms of Buffy - I have never really liked Buffy the character. I watched her for her interaction with the other characters. In S1 I liked Willow, then I liked Willow and Oz then Spike and Faith. My favorite character for all of Buffy is Spike, then Faith, Oz, Anya, Xander, Willow/Tara, Cordy, Buffy, Dawn.

So no - as long as there are interesting storylines and other interesting characters I don't have to like the "hero" character.
          -TP<3
          "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
          - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
            I've never really hated a main character until I started watching Grey's Anatomy.. I really can't stand Meredith. And it makes watching the show that much harder. Even though I enjoy some of the stories and like the other characters, I find I have to grit my teeth everytime Meredith is on screen. It really puts me off watching. I stopped in the middle of season 4, but then later heard good things about the last few episodes so finished the season. But yeah it does make the show something I won't really ever enjoy in the way I enjoy other shows with a lead character I love, or even like!!!

I totally agree. I think that bogs down a show a little. One of my problems with Grey?s anatomy is Meredith. I just think if the show is centered around her, she should be more likable, more charismatic but that?s also a matter of taste.
            But the lead has to be likable or loveable, that is a step forward for liking or loving the show. For example, I love all the characters of Buffy and Buffy herself and if we relate to a character is also easier. I relate and emote alot with Veronica Mars, Buffy, even Sidney from Alias.
            So, my opinion is yes! Having a likable character is important.

Comment

I need to like the main character to enjoy the series.

I turned out the tv after 30 minutes of the first GA episode because some already mentioned here, Meredith is not very lovable. Never got into Everwood because Ephram was far from my favourite character, the same for Heroes (I don't like Peter, Claire and Mohinder). BtVS became less fun when I stopped loving Buffy and Bones is less fun for me because Booth is starting to annoy me. In the most cases, the lead character is my favourite character (Angel, Brennan (in the first seasons it was Booth), House, Chuck, Ned, Veronica, The Doctor etc.), the only exception for me is Gilmore Girls. Both Lorelai and Rory are no big favourite of mine, especially Rory I don't really like. I prefer Sookie, Logan and Luke. But I love the series.

Comment

In terms of characters, main and secondary, I think I will never feel with other show the way I do with Buffy. I love the characters, I get emotionally involved, I support their decisions, even if I don?t agree with them. They are truly my buddies for life!

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                  In terms of characters, main and secondary, I think I will never feel with other show the way I do with Buffy. I love the characters, I get emotionally involved, I support their decisions, even if I don?t agree with them. They are truly my buddies for life!
                  Same here. Don't think I'll ever be obsessed with a show like I am with BtVS.

To answer your question, it helps liking the main character, but it doesn't have to be your favorite. I had grown tired of hating characters, I find it pointless to blindly hate a character (I used to hate every charcter on BtVS that wasn't Xander and Spike and it made me enjoy the show way less and focus mostly on fanfic.) Thankfully I'm over that. Right now I love all the characters, even though I'm more interested in some than the others, but I hate no character. Why the headache?
                  Made by Trickyboxes
                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I love the Inspector Morse series though I don't like Morse himself.He seems such a miserable old sod. Yet he is a man of integrity, and some of the other characters such as Lewis are likable and convincing. The beautiful Oxford locations, the subtle and complex plots, and the brilliant scripts sold it too me.

I love the various Star Trek series though I never thought much of Kirk, I thought Picard was pompous, and Captain Janeway deeply dislikable. In one episode she was virtually a murderer. Yet the dream of space grips my imagination like no other.

Comment

I don't think you have to love the main character or for the main character to be your favourite on the show, but I'd find it very hard to stick around watching a show if I *hated* the main character. It'd cause me so much grief as one assumes they'd be in the majority of the scenes and have all the major storylines revolve around them. It's why I never could understand why people who loathe Angel or Buffy to such an extent can watch Btvs or Ats.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                        I need to like the main character to enjoy the series.
                        I agree. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to watch Bones, but just can not get into it because I can not stand the character of Bones. No matter how much I love DB, I can't sit through an episode of this. And I'm not so sure that it's the 'character' of Bones per se, but more the acting skills of the actress trying to portray her that turns me off. I just can't watch the show, and damn it I really want to....
                        sigpic

Comment

Speaking of Bones, I had a really hard time warming up to the show, mainly because of Bones, like LRae12 said. She seemed so cold, so distant, but with time I?ve come to like the character and the actress.

Comment

bad lead character would put me off a show, but i don't have to particularly love the main character to like the show. some shows have multiple main characters, like Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, etc...so it's not so bad if you hate 1 or 2 particular characters. If Heroes was focused on Mohinder or Hiro 24/7, i wouldn't enjoy it anymore. Jack's not my favourite character on Lost and he can be quite annoying at times, but i do like other characters enough to keep watching.

a likeable lead character would make a show great though...
                            + great secondary characters would make the show awesome.
                            veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Comment

Working...
                            X