Vampire books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire books

Hey! I thought might ask if anyone could recommend me some good vampire novels. I've read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake the Vampire Hunter series (up to Obsidian Butterfly), I've read Southern Vampire novels by Charlaine Harris - both series were all right. I read Anne Rice's "Interview With A Vampire" like 10 years ago and don't remember anything about it. Loved the movie though. But I tried one latter Anne Rice recently and stopped reading on about page 50 or so. So tacky that it was actually funny, but I didn't want to have that fun for 500 pages. I read the first Twilight novel and definitely will not continue with the saga, one was more than enough.
    I've read "Tall, dark & dead. Nobody's perfect" by Tate Hallaway - was all right but L. Hamilton and C. Harris were a bit better.
    I've got a book by Sherrilyn Kenyon at home but haven't read it yet. I also started "A Girl's Guide to Vampires" by Katie McAlister, I'm just in the start, not very impressed but I'll continue reading.
    Also just started "Night Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko - I've read only couple of chapters sofar but it seems very very very good. (Nb! Not to confuse with "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett. Well, actually you might, because that is very good too. And it even has some undead citizens, a zombie called Reg Shoe for example )

So, do you happen to have any recommendations? (Besides "maybe you've read just enough of vamp novels already"?).
    sigpic
    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Vampire stories...my favorite. You have already named who I would have picked off the top of my head; however, I think I can suggest one or two more. Christine Feehan is an excellent writer. She writes a series of books dealing with the Carpathians. Basically vampires that trie to refrain from drinking blood. The series is well written and full of action. They don't hold with a lot of vampire lore, but they are interesting. She also writes other books that are not vampire based that are excellent reads. Dealing with supernatural and extraordinary powers. If you read other things besides vampire novels, I would recommend her other books. Maggie Shayne is another author I would recommend. Her books were an entertaining read.
    I don't blame you for not reading Anne Rice. I found her quite wordy and hard to get into. Laurell K. Hamilton only appeals to a certain kind of reader. And the Twilight series is a good series but differs from most vampire novels.

Comment

Although not strictly vampire books, The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher has vampires as main characters in almost every book. His versions of vampires (there are there different types) are actually really interesting. Plus, they are massively entertaining.

Comment

I read Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake series up through the Killing Dance. After that she took a complete 180 degrees for me. So, I just ended with the Killing Dance. I liked her books because it combined two loves of mine - tough female detective (love Sue Grafton's Alphabet mysteries with her heroine Kinsey Milhone - Anita reminded me of Kinsey), and VAMPIRES!

But afterwards her stories became focused more on sex than story. See? I do draw lines occasionally!

I did find this website - maybe it will help "slay our thirst"!

http://www.vampirelibrary.com/

If anyone reads anything from the above website or just finds something worth reading - please post!!
        Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 08-11-08, 06:36 AM.
        -TP<3
        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
        - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Hey Guys New vampire books?

Hey guys i have read all Stephanie Meyers Books in the Twilight series and im waiting for the movie to come out on November 21!!=]And i cant wait!!!=DAlso im going to read the book from Edwards point of veiw when that comes out and i already no about Night World.So guyz new vampire books thx=]
          suggestions and a little summary i guess please=]
          Vietnam visa serviceSapa Travel , Sapa Trekking , Biking ToursMekong River Cruise, Mekong River tour, Mekong cruise in Vietnam

Comment

My favorite vampire books so far are those by Amelia Atewater Rhodes, which apparently are now called the "Den of Shadows" series (though when I read them they didn't have a special title). There are 4 of them so far, though there might be more in the future. The titles:

In the Forests of the Night
            Demon in My View
            Shattered Mirror
            Midnight's Predator

The first one isn't the best, since she was 13 when she wrote it, though it's still very evocative and interesting (and pretty darn good for her age!)--it's the book to read if you w3want to read about a vampire's perspective/powers/the experience of becoming a vampire, etc. It alternates between the past and a present story of a powerful vampire named Risika who is having problems with another powerful vampire Aubrey.

Demon in My View and Midnight's Predator are both really good and worth reading though (I've reread them each more times than I can count or remember--and they're both pretty short, they won't take a lot of time to read). Demon in My View is a little like Twilight in the whole vampire/human romance dynamic, though without the cheese and saccharine and sparkles, or without such a cringe-worthy protagonist. In it the protagonist has been writing and publishing vampire stories that are true, and Aubrey decides to pose as a student in the school to take care of/silence her. And Midnight Predator is about a profesional vampire hunter who along with another hunter is paid to infiltrate a vampire domain as human slaves to assasinate on of the lead vampires associated with it.

I love the supernatural/vampire world that Atwater Rhodes creates in these books, seen in the first two books in particular, in which there's a secret vampire town, vampire clubs and bars around, marked territory, different bloodlines of vampires with varying strengths, etc--it's a rich and interesting universe that I enjoyed exploring in the books. When I think of good vampire books to read, those are the first ones I think of!

For chapter excepts/more info, here are some links:

Demon in My View: http://www.amazon.com/Demon-My-View-...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Midnight Predator: http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Preda...ref=pd_sim_b_3

I have also heard great things about the Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead--I haven't read them yet, but I know from her Succubus series that she is a top notch, extremely good, entertaining author, and I have no doubt that they are also excellent vampire books!

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Academ...6613663&sr=1-1
            Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast wrote Marked, Betrayed and Chosen. Z'oey is a vampire who goes to vampire school- it's not unlike the True Blood universe where vampires have 'come out of the coffin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast wrote Marked, Betrayed and Chosen. Z'oey is a vampire who goes to vampire school- it's not unlike the True Blood universe where vampires have 'come out of the coffin'.
                Have you actually read them though? Because twice I have tried starting the first one, having heard it was so popular, and twice I've been unable to see why it's so popular--it's just so badly written, and not in the way Twilight is, where you can tolerate it the first time round or so.....
                Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                  Have you actually read them though? Because twice I have tried starting the first one, having heard it was so popular, and twice I've been unable to see why it's so popular--it's just so badly written, and not in the way Twilight is, where you can tolerate it the first time round or so.....
                  I've read the first two, and I didn't mind the writing any more than I minded SM's. I think in a way the writing was actually better, from my memory of them, but I generally find it harder to read things that tend more toward the supernatural world rather than based in reality like Forks... I do think (warning: generalisations ahead!!! ) that often the more sci-fi/fantasy ish the verse, the poorer the grasp of subtleties of language...

Comment

I thoroughly recommed the Sherrliyn Kenyon Dark Hunter books. She is my fave author and I have sat up the whole night reading her books cause I just couldn't put it down. They ARE a tad on the sexy side but she really weaves an interesting world where Dark Hunters protect the mortal world against Daimons and you get a bit of greek mythology Sherrilyn Kenyon style thrown in as well.....don't let that put you off. See link below The books can be read pretty much stand alone, although they are part of a series, as they focus on a particular dark hunter, but they have little interesting tidbits about what happens in previous books. The books will make you laugh, cry and rage all at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-Hunters

I also like J R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Again on the sexy side, what can I say I'm a closet nympho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dagger_Brotherhood

If you like a fun read with not too much romance thrown in I also recommend MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series. They are about a woman who gets bitten by a vampire and ends up being Queen of them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MaryJan...#Undead_Series
                    sigpic

Comment

There is a German children's book series caled "Der kleine Vampir" ("The little Vampire"), which I read as a boy. Not that great, though. Forget the name of the author, even.

I've read the first two books of Lukianenko's Watch series too (in German though). That crossover of styles has a certain appeal, true, I agree with Miss Peroxide there.

And since she mentioned Terry Pratchett - he doesn't have that many vampires in his Discworld series (which seems very similar to Buffy to me, where the humour and development of narrative style is concerned, by the way!), but a few appear, for example in "The Truth" and in "Thud!" a vampire protagonist appears, and in "Carpe Jugulum" they play the part of the antagonist.

I don't really like Anne Rice. The first book was okay, but then in the second Lestat becomes a simpering, angsty Louis clone - what the hell?? This isn't the same character as in the first book! I liked him when he still was an evil git! My sister is a real vampire lover, but she got fed up with Anne Rice after three books because she said it annoyed her how all vampires got Louis clones eventually, even Armand.
                      Sin is what I feast upon
                      I'm forging my crematorium
                      Your tomb is waiting here for you
                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                      X