NEW POLL! Don't Hit Me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW POLL! Don't Hit Me!

Okay, counting up the categories in the poll there are 14, plus there are the 16 I had written down as definites. Since the lowest number of entries (from forum members only) is 11 for Moonlight, I am tempted to just go with all 30 categories. Which is a grand total of 6 categories more than last year.

I really don't like making cuts, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who art something that I would need to cut or merge in order to get the number down to something like 26 categories as planned.

So instead, I am asking for you to vote AGAIN, and this time to tell me whether you are happy to vote for a total of 30 categories, or whether you think I should make the cuts! I have put in a few options for you to consider to help me with this decision.

I don't want to make any decisions without first considering what it means for everyone else, so I am not doing this to aggravate all of my members, I am merely doing this to try and figure out what YOU as the fanart community and the members want out of this year's event!

Hope that you understand, sorry for the second poll!!!
    SJ
    xox
    YES! The more the better!
    60.00%
    Yes, but only if we get longer to fill out our voting forms.
    31.43%
    I'd prefer you make the cuts/merges to get a lower number.
    8.57%
    sigpic
    Art by Sayjay at Radiance

I know that a lot of categories are off-putting. But, IMO, it's not as frightening as deciding between two or more completely different types of criteria. I mean, obviously all the art entered in one category would be hopefully different. But merging categories is like choosing between apples and cookies. Whereas trying to decide between two or more equally good, but more similar in subject/type of piece is like...cookies and another type of cookies*.

But I know that a lot of people would rather cut back on too many categories, and that's something I could troop through. So.......I voted yes, but with more time. It seemed middle-groundish.

* Sorry, I really like cookies.
    would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Originally posted by little albatross View Post
      I know that a lot of categories are off-putting. But, IMO, it's not as frightening as deciding between two or more completely different types of criteria. I mean, obviously all the art entered in one category would be hopefully different. But merging categories is like choosing between apples and cookies. Whereas trying to decide between two or more equally good, but more similar in subject/type of piece is like...cookies and another type of cookies*.

But I know that a lot of people would rather cut back on too many categories, and that's something I could troop through. So.......I voted yes, but with more time. It seemed middle-groundish.

Lol, I cookies, I'm a cookie fiend!!! :P Mwa ha ha!

I just wanted to see what the reaction was from this poll, as I suddenly thought to myself: do people actually MIND having that many categories, or am I just trying to make cuts for no reason? Lol.

I figured that more categories would requite more time though so threw that option in there, :P

SJ
      x
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by little albatross View Post

I love cookies too

I agree. I don't mind the extra categories at all. I think it will even be easier to vote for in some cases. I am particularly talking about the lighting/coloring category. Last year it was difficult enough choosing what piece to nominate, but it was even worse when it came to the voting And I am sure it is the case with a few other categories as well.
        >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

30 is fine by me!
          And FYI, I chose the second option whereas I am more in between option 1 and option 2. I don't need a SUPER long time to fill out my voting form. Last year, I just did a few categories every few hours...you know, taking a break and then coming back to tackle it again.

I mean, it's more fun than daunting, for me.

So, basically, I am fine if you don't want to make any cuts. Judging from the poll, it's nearly impossible to do so anyway!!
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I voted for "Yes! The More the Better!" but I don't want like...40+ categories to vote for. I'm fine with a few more if it's impossible to make cuts or if the people just don't want to make cuts, I really am, but I don't want like...a huge amount of categories. Does that make sense? I don't know if it does...
            wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I really don't mind having 30+ categories. I would rather vote for more things than for you to make cuts.
              sigpic
              Banner Set made by the lovely Dana.

Comment

i don't like merging categories, unless the categories merged are related...ie, i don't mind merging Edward/Bella art with Twilight couples art, but i don't think male celebrity art should be merged with mixed-gender art, if female art gets its own category. so don't mind the amount, as long as there's sufficient time. November period is exams as well.
                veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                  I voted for "Yes! The More the Better!" but I don't want like...40+ categories to vote for. I'm fine with a few more if it's impossible to make cuts or if the people just don't want to make cuts, I really am, but I don't want like...a huge amount of categories. Does that make sense? I don't know if it does...
                  At this point we have about 30 categories, did I get that right? I agree with Heather that maybe 40 is a bit tooooo many but as far as I understood it, we were not adding THAT many more.

I almost went for the second option but then I realised that I'm the sort of person who puts things off to last minute, especially if I have LOTS of time to do it

I don't remember how long we had last year but I do remember doing it little by little over a few days or so. What I'm saying is, I don't think we need that much more time to vote for a few extra categories... it sorta flows anyway once you're doing it
                  >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger47 View Post
                    i don't like merging categories, unless the categories merged are related...ie, i don't mind merging Edward/Bella art with Twilight couples art, but i don't think male celebrity art should be merged with mixed-gender art, if female art gets its own category. so don't mind the amount, as long as there's sufficient time. November period is exams as well.
                    Comparing 'female celebrity art' with 'male and groups art' Female would STILL kick it's ass, even if the two latter were merged.

I would definitely prefer merging Male and Group if the alternative will be merging all 3. I think the female category is strong enough to hold it's own and it would be a shame to have the female pieces overshine the groups/male art, if it was all combined...

As for the Twilight E/B art, the amount of art being made of this couple is so overwhelming compared to everything else in that fandom, that it would be a shame to merge it with 'other couples'. Both categories could definitely hold their own and get lots of entries, I am sure...

Comment

As a reminder, these are the dates we used for last year's event, to give you an idea of time-scales!

Nominations Begin: 1st January 2008
                      Nominations Close: 21st January 2008

Nominations Announced: 22nd January 2008

Voting Forms Mailed: 23rd January
                      Voting Period: 23rd January - 19th February

Final Polls Close: 19th February 2008

Votes Counted & Verified: 19th - 23rd February

AWARDS CEREMONY FEBRUARY 23RD 2008

It was approximately 4 weeks to do 24 categories, which basically allowed time for 6 categories per week. If I were to increase the categories to 30 and change it to 5 weeks, then that would still give time for 6 per week, so technically you would have the same amount time, if that makes?

I will need to look at next years dates so that I can announce them soon,

SJ
                      xox
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds good, SJ.
                        sigpic
                        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I say give us the same number of weeks as last year. Leave that extra week as a cushion just to give the procrastinators a few extra days because you know there are always a few that can't get motivated until 24 hours before the deadline.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                            I say give us the same number of weeks as last year. Leave that extra week as a cushion just to give the procrastinators a few extra days because you know there are always a few that can't get motivated until 24 hours before the deadline.
                            It wasn't like I sent in my form at the LAST minute... more like second to last minute

This year I think it will be better because people are gonna know what to expect, so even though I voted to ask for more time, I think that it would be fine if it was the same amount of time because we have experience in this now and it will go more smoothly ... I hope
                            Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Well, it's all been said but one more voice in the matter can't be wrong, right? I'm all for 30+ categories, because last year I had so much trouble sorting out which to pick or not because I art lots of different shows (although I'm narrower this year... I think...). And please don't mix male with mixed gender. Women may be the rulers of the world but the men deserves at least a category... (and Jonny Rhys Meyer galore!). Oh, and just a thought... Last year when I judged I saved all pieces to my PC (still have them^^) - mosly to make it easier when judging best artist/piece etc. I was just wishing han hopin' if you'd be able to put out a .zip-file with all the entries and then a .txt doc or something with which pieces are nominated for which (sense I guess you have something similar to sort it out before you put it up on the site?). Well, if it's not too much work that's what I'd really like this year

(oh, and I also like cookies...^^)

Comment

Originally posted by Signe View Post
                                Well, it's all been said but one more voice in the matter can't be wrong, right? I'm all for 30+ categories, because last year I had so much trouble sorting out which to pick or not because I art lots of different shows (although I'm narrower this year... I think...). And please don't mix male with mixed gender. Women may be the rulers of the world but the men deserves at least a category... (and Jonny Rhys Meyer galore!). Oh, and just a thought... Last year when I judged I saved all pieces to my PC (still have them^^) - mosly to make it easier when judging best artist/piece etc. I was just wishing han hopin' if you'd be able to put out a .zip-file with all the entries and then a .txt doc or something with which pieces are nominated for which (sense I guess you have something similar to sort it out before you put it up on the site?). Well, if it's not too much work that's what I'd really like this year

(oh, and I also like cookies...^^)

Hey hun,

I never really thought of doing that tbh! I guess it would be easy to organise and get online for people, so will write that down as something to do for the voting period,

I had all the nominations organised on my computer last year into folders, one for each category - so could probably zip (or rar) them like that so that they are all organised into folders inside the zip. And make that available to dowlnload if people want them in that form.

Thanks for the suggestion!
                                SJ
                                xox
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Signe View Post
                                  Oh, and just a thought... Last year when I judged I saved all pieces to my PC (still have them^^) - mosly to make it easier when judging best artist/piece etc. I was just wishing han hopin' if you'd be able to put out a .zip-file with all the entries and then a .txt doc or something with which pieces are nominated for which (sense I guess you have something similar to sort it out before you put it up on the site?).
                                  Oh, I second this! Really good idea

As for the number of categories, I don't mind having 30 of them, but I do think a little more time to decide and vote would be good. (Although if that is impossible to arrange for some reason, the four weeks term isn't going to be a huge problem for me, either.)
                                  [ ...In my exile. ]
                                  LJ; Tumblr; Wallpapers

Comment

Okay since no one has voted against this, I think the general consensus is just to go ahead with all 30 categories!

I'll arrange a little bit more time for the voting as well, it's only fair since we are doing a slight increase,

Anyway... this means..... that the award designs are going to change too!!!
                                    IF you signed up for a Twilight award to design, this now means there's subcategories for you to choose from, heh! I'll be in touch,

*hugs*
                                    SJ
                                    xox
                                    sigpic

Comment

I don't know if this is the place, or if I should take this back to the previous thread. But I wanted to explain why I even brought up merging male with groupings for the celebrity categories.

Obviously, female celebrity art is a lot more popular, so that would more than fill its own category. So I what I was shooting for is:

Female Celebrity Art (which could probably include female groupings, if there are any) and Other Celebrity Art - which would include male art (which yes, would populate a category, but not is not as big as Female art) and groupings (of males or of mixed genders.) I'm not asking for that to take away from the guys. I REALLY LOVE HOT MEN.

But the only other choices, it seems to me, is to merge the celebrities into one category altogether (chicks, dudes, and groups) or to have a third category specifically for groupings, because separate gender categories would exclude certain celebrity art, such as, IDK a Rilo Kiley piece () There is not enough "group" art to fill a whole category. So that third category isn't really...an option, imo. But it wouldn't be fair to leave out group/band pieces altogether. I also want to keep the female art separate because there's so much anyway, and because it gives the Jensens, JRMs, the Shias and the Rilo frickin' Kileys a chance to shine.

Comment

Also, I really like Signe's suggestion about the zip file

Comment

Working...
                                        X