Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet Addiction - A Clinical Disorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Addiction - A Clinical Disorder?

I read this article today and almost spit my coffee all over the monitor....are we all insane? Do we need psychiatric help? You decide, but be sure to let me know.....apparently, I'm crazy....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...sorder%27.html
    sigpic

I'm healthy!
    They suffer four symptoms: They forget to eat and sleep;
    I never forget to eat and sleep.

But to be serious, I know that internet addiction is a pretty bad thing because it kills your time. Since I've got internet ... I read less books and stuff like that. And people who really stop living a normal live, should be helped ...

"It's much more acceptable for kids to talk about game use, whereas adults keep it a secret. Rather than having sex, or arguing with their wife or husband, or feeding their children, these adults are playing games."
    Stop feeding you kids is pretty bad, poor kids.
    Last edited by Nina; 25-08-08, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      I'm healthy!

I never forget to eat and sleep.

But to be serious, I know that internet addiction is a pretty bad thing because it kills your time. Since I've got internet ... I read less book and stuff like that. And people who really stop living a normal live, should be helped ...

Stop feeding you kids is pretty bad, poor kids.
      oh, then I guess I'm not crazy then....my kids eat!

But then again....I forget to eat all the time!

Maybe I'm bi-polar!
      sigpic

Comment

I dont have kids so no problems there But there have been quite a few times that I have been so involved in the computer and the stuff, Im doing on it that 12 hours have passed and I didnt realize it. So maybe im Addicted Thats funny.
        sigpic

Comment

Well I've never forgotten to eat or sleep, but I am guilty of "Wilfing" and spending hours on the computer and wasting a day.

Here's a great article about wilfing - sound familiar to anyone else?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ber-space.html
          sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

Oh, if being on the internet is an addiction I'm totally guilty, I can spend hours and hours, when I don't have to go to classes I can spend the entire day in front of the computer... Oh, maybe I do have a problem hehehe

Comment

I used to spend a lot of time online. literally till the sun came up, talking to people and such. But as I got older I started doing online stuff in small increments of time. I'll go online for 10 minutes and update things, search for things. then I'll spend a half an hour to an hour doing something else. then I'll spend another 10 minutes. I can understand the not eating because when I play games I'll get lost in them and wont realize the time passing. its not as if you're starving or anything. most of us could last quite a while without eating a square meal lol

My mother on the other hand is one who seriously has a problem. shes a doctor who nut and comes home from work and glues her butt to a computer chair. she even brings a laptop into the kitchen when cooking or cleaning....which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I realized lately that when I travel I rarely go online even with my laptop. I guess I'm cured!!!
              I shaved my legs to the knees for this?

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                Well I've never forgotten to eat or sleep, but I am guilty of "Wilfing" and spending hours on the computer and wasting a day.

Here's a great article about wilfing - sound familiar to anyone else?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ber-space.html
                heh, I'd never heard that term before. And I know I'm not as bad as THAT guy....I've never spent more than a few hours straight on the computer....mostly because my back hurts too bad if I sit still in a chair for too long....I'm way to active and have to keep moving to feel healthy. I can't believe that guy was on his computer from 7 am to 10 pm....god, his ass must have hurt!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                  heh, I'd never heard that term before. And I know I'm not as bad as THAT guy....I've never spent more than a few hours straight on the computer....mostly because my back hurts too bad if I sit still in a chair for too long....I'm way to active and have to keep moving to feel healthy. I can't believe that guy was on his computer from 7 am to 10 pm....god, his ass must have hurt!

hey hey now, I'm a dancer and I work out 3 times a week on top of that, and I can still sit with the best of em!
                  I shaved my legs to the knees for this?

Comment

I don't know everything else, but I do get genuine withdrawal symptoms if I'm separated from my laptop from as little as a day at a time. I feel cut off from everything and like I'm missing out on things, when in fact I'm probably missing out on more by being online so much! I've tried to stop being on here so much, mainly because I'm getting tension headaches from staring at a screen for so long, but it is a problem!

Comment

I'm on and off. One week totally in front of the comp then nothing for a month. Then back on again.

An idea: If you can't sit down because the chair hurts your back then sit on nothing. c'mon it's fun look i'm doing it now see (not joking) *falls over* okay now I'm up to date with you on the back problem
                      "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Comment

Apparently I am crazy as well. And so are half the people I know. The internet is my newspaper, my television, my mall, my way to stay in touch with tons of people and my way to help accelerate my digital art capabilities. There are many horrible things in life to become addicted to, at least internet addiction isn't something that is going to hurt or kill others. If they decide internet addiction is a clinical disorder, does that mean at some point in life I'll be able to cash in a check each month for being crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Risa View Post
                          Apparently I am crazy as well. And so are half the people I know. The internet is my newspaper, my television, my mall, my way to stay in touch with tons of people and my way to help accelerate my digital art capabilities. There are many horrible things in life to become addicted to, at least internet addiction isn't something that is going to hurt or kill others. If they decide internet addiction is a clinical disorder, does that mean at some point in life I'll be able to cash in a check each month for being crazy?
                          oooh, I like that idea... we can be computer-chair potatoes and cash in the moola!
                          sigpic

Comment

However is it contradictory to our disorder if we cash our mental checks and spend the whole day out shopping for girly things like shoes?

If I saved a few crazy checks, after a few months I would be able to buy the most recent version of Photoshop...then I never would leave my computer.

Comment

Someday laziness will be classed as a disability and I'll never have to move again!

Comment

Wait. Can I use this to get out of work? That would be awesome.

"Sorry I can't come in today, my symptoms are acting up again and I have to search the internet! My doctor said it was okay!"
                                Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

I've got the feeling there will be a pretty long line!

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                                  oooh, I like that idea... we can be computer-chair potatoes and cash in the moola!
                                  And potentially get disability from the back problems caused by the addiction!

However is it contradictory to our disorder if we cash our mental checks and spend the whole day out shopping for girly things like shoes?

If I saved a few crazy checks, after a few months I would be able to buy the most recent version of Photoshop...then I never would leave my computer.
                                  Well, you can always shop on the internet! And I also have a hard time *closing* PS, let alone not having it. *gasp* It's too horrible to even *think* about!

Originally posted by EndersWrath View Post
                                  Wait. Can I use this to get out of work? That would be awesome.

"Sorry I can't come in today, my symptoms are acting up again and I have to search the internet! My doctor said it was okay!"
                                  And here's the Dr.'s note excusing me from work!
                                  sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by farfly View Post
                                      that is just gross and unhygienic...
                                      i know i'm addicted; it's for the procrastination...
                                      veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Comment

I'm not sure where I fall on the crazy scale. I get online everyday for a few hours at a time, but I don't think it consumes my whole existance. Recently when I went on vacation and was without a computer for nearly a week, I had no withdrawal symptoms. Even when I got home it was a day before I even touched the computer. So I'm not TOO bad! For me the internet serves more than entertainment purposes (that's only 90% of the time. ) It's where I do most of my research on various topics, I check and pay my bills, and it did help me with the "coming out of the closet" experience by talking to people like myself. I see the internet as a good thing, at least for me.

Seriously, who can sit there for 15 hours?! Yikes! My hiney hurts after about two hours, and I have to get up and do something. 15 hours is a very serious problem!
                                        Why are you reading this when there's a great Xander picture to look at? Come on, you know you want to!

Comment

Working...
                                        X