The CW- Your Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CW- Your Way

I didnt know where to put it so I decided to Put it here. Basically I was talking to some friends and we all agreed that the CW is not doing very good and after looking at some of the new shows they have for this year it looks like theyre be depending on the same shows that they always depend on (Minus WWE). I have heard Rumors that the CW could be in Danger of going Under if it dont start performing well on a regular Basis (Again only speculation). So what are your thoughts on the subject.
    Yes, The shows they got will be Enough
    6.67%
    No, They need to shape up or else!
    53.33%
    I Dont Know or Care
    40.00%
    Last edited by skinless; 19-06-08, 11:59 AM.
    sigpic

They're idiots. All they've got going for them now is Supernatural and Smallville. IMO, no other show comes even remotely close to good. They canceled two hit shows (and two of my favs!), "Veronica Mars" and "Gilmore Girls" in their first year, and they replaced it with "Farmer Wants A Wife" and "Pussycat Dolls" Oh my god, so dumb! They need to get more good shows on there if they want any hope to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
      They're idiots. All they've got going for them now is Supernatural and Smallville. IMO, no other show comes even remotely close to good. They canceled two hit shows (and two of my favs!), "Veronica Mars" and "Gilmore Girls" in their first year, and they replaced it with "Farmer Wants A Wife" and "Pussycat Dolls" Oh my god, so dumb! They need to get more good shows on there if they want any hope to succeed.
      On the contrary, "Gilmore Girls" ended on it's own. Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel both agreed that the show should end. The CW actually fought for them to come back for a 13 episode eighth season but Graham and Bledel (and the producers) turned down the offer.

As for "Veronica Mars," the chances were very high that it would've come back in the "Veronica Mars: FBI" format because that's what Dawn Ostroff wanted. She was prepared to renew the show but Les Moonves, the man in charge of CBS and who is also one of the highest powers in charge of the CW (he's way over Ostroff's head, power, and command), said no to the renewal and, thus, it was canceled.

Now, the CW did introduce "Gossip Girl" this season - which may not be the ratings blockbuster they yearned for but it is without a doubt one of the biggest publicity blockbusters they've got. The only true powerhouses on the network are "Smallville" and "America's Next Top Model" - and "SV" is coming to a close with season 8. Come Fall 2009-2010, the CW will really be hurting.

What I think is the problem is that they don't have that much talent on the network. There aren't many high quality writers or producers getting their shows picked up by the network. Also, the CW only has two (maybe three, if you count "Reaper") male-oriented shows that I can think of - "Smallville" and "Supernatural." That also has to be hurting them.

If I were in charge, I'd be fighting to get high quality shows on the network so that it's not seen as a joke in the media. I would give a fair amount of advertising to the shows that really deserve it. And I would most certainly change the schedule and swap out the obvious duds for possible winners.

Pretty does pay - which is why "Gossip Girl" is so huge - but they really do need more brainy shows like "Supernatural" and "Smallville" (though both are totally pretty shows, too...).
      wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I like the use of "pretty shows" Heather, it works ^_^

I think CW was stupid to get rid of Reba to tell the truth. It was a pretty damn popular show and kinda brought in the entire Reba McEntire crowd from country music and such, and I think they just didn't give the series a chance because it didn't fit their "teen audiance" which is another stupid aspect. TheCW aims for teens, and I gotta say, it is more of an adult (or mature teen) that is watching Supernatural and Smallville. Why try to dumb us down with shows like "Aliens in America" and the rest of their crappy sitcoms. (Though Everybody Hates Chris is pretty good).

They need to pick up on more mature shows and try to please a more general depegraphic rather then "teens". Upn was able to balance that, so did TheWb. But I just don't think TheCW has found that perfect harmony. They should try for more DCcomic series, I mean Smallville rocked (err... Birds of Prey not so much), but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Maybe another crack at Aquaman, or go for a series based off other DC heroes. Hell, lets get a Wonder Woman series.

Comment

It's the "pretty" aspect that bugs me. That's the reason some of Supernatural went the way it did.

According to Samantha Ferris, the CW is about "pretty young things" and don't want to have an older strong woman on screen like her character; they wanted to bring in the likes of Lauren Cohan and Katie Cassidy to give the series some more regulars, but mostly because they wanted to bring in new viewers from their other shows by making Supernatural more "young, pretty and shiny" looking. She said that the CW "rammed those girls down Kripke's throat". That was why her character never came back in season three, even though Kripke had planned for it - because the CW wanted the girls to have a certain number of storylines, and Kripke just couldn't fit an Ellen storyline in around them.

If that is the image the CW wants, and they way they are going - I am not hugely impressed. It's as if they don't really care about the integrity of the shows, they just have an image they want to fulfil, and a younger audience they are aiming at - instead of looking for viewers who are that little bit more mature.

Shows like One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, etc. don't appeal to me really, I see bits and just sort of change the channel. I can't say there's really a series playing on the CW that interests me apart from Supernatural.

I loved Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars, but to be fair I don't think I would have watched VM past season three (I still haven't seen the end yet!). But I don't really know what has played on the CW as not from the states myself, so can't really say what shows I would have liked to have seen on there.

Ultimately, I think that the only series the CW really has worth watching is Supernatural - but then if they pull in the younger audiences for their other shows, then maybe they can survive? I don't really know how much of viewership is taken up by the younger audience, so can't really state that the network won't survive.

But I personally don't like the fact they are all about the "young and pretty" aspect and are letting that image leak onto perfectly good shows with fantastic writers like SN.

Well that's my little rant over with, lol.
          SJ
          xox
          sigpic
          Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

I agree about shoving down our throats. I think thats why Piz and Parker were so over played in season 3 of Veronica Mars, while Wallace, Weevil and Mac got the back seat ride. (Yes, I will always be angry that Mac appeared in more episodes a recurring guest star than a series regular v.v). Though I won't go into the details as above (which I loved reading^^) I do agree that we are getting these annoying young hot Hollywood stars over really good solid actors.

Ashame.

Comment

Working...
            X