Have you ever been to a fan event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been to a fan event?

I have tickets to go to Dragoncon in Atlanta Labor Day weekend. It will be my first fan event. Just wanted to know what to expect or maybe a few hints to make the time there better.

Where did u get tickets. I live in atlanta and would love to go.
    sigpic

Comment

Google Dragoncon. We got ours early, but now I think the tickets are about $75. Go to jamesmarster.com and there maybe a link there.

Comment

I've been to a fair few cons but being as I'm English, they've been English cons, which I am led to believe by my American friends are massively different from American ones.

Apparently at American cons you don't usually get very drunk and dance with Vincent Kartheiser for 4 hours. Neither do you get Jonathan Woodward wearing a Mitre made out a newspaper holding "communion" of whisky and shortbread.

I pity my american friends that they have never experienced such things.

Comment

Originally posted by dev View Post
          I've been to a fair few cons but being as I'm English, they've been English cons, which I am led to believe by my American friends are massively different from American ones.

Apparently at American cons you don't usually get very drunk and dance with Vincent Kartheiser for 4 hours. Neither do you get Jonathan Woodward wearing a Mitre made out a newspaper holding "communion" of whisky and shortbread.

I pity my american friends that they have never experienced such things.
          Jonny Wallet's communions are the best, He has a video tape of me passing out drunk, and throwing up, and keeps threatening to stick it on youtube, the meanie!!!

I actually work for a convention company. Used to work with the company who did the communions, but am now with another company who I do a lot of work with. So I am kind of a frequent con-goer, heh. I've done something like 8 this year alone, so you know! But I love them. But again, I see them from a completely different point of view as I work them. Am still going to a few as an attendee, but when you know most of the people working events you still wind up doing something or another while you're there!

I have also never done an American event, but have also heard they are nothing in comparison to the UK events, which tend to be full of awesomeness, like drunkenness, late night parties, seeing the guests dance... for any Supernatural fans, I worked an event with Fredric Lehne recently and he came to our "Beach Party" themed party wearing a haiwian shirt and danced like crazy, he was hilarious to speak to and really lovely. But from what I've heard you don't quite get the same experiences in the states,

Which... incidentally enough is why we get loads of US folks coming to our events, hee!

SJ
          xox
          sigpic
          Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

You guys are so funny. Yes, the American events are much tamer I would think. More business and less monkey business.

skinless, if you get tickets I would love to meet you there to get to know you a bit. I have a friend going with me who adores Gareth David-Lloyd. We are so excited.

Comment

I havent actually been to a convention and i would absoloutley love to go to one dont suppose theres any buffy ones cumin up soon are there ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlayerInMe View Post
                I havent actually been to a convention and i would absoloutley love to go to one dont suppose theres any buffy ones cumin up soon are there ?
                If you mean in the UK, Buffy-only themed events have kind of finished up. I don't know any organisers currently planning on doing another one.

However, there are still Buffy guests attending various events in the UK. This year we have had Anthony Stewart Head, Emma Caulfield, James Marsters, among other smaller guests all doing events in the UK. And Nicholas Brendon is doing an event in Glasgow in August. so there's still plenty of Buffy guests attending future events to look forward to,

SJ
                xox
                sigpic

Comment

Which event is Nick attending then? Any links?

I've been to quite few con's over the years, starting right the way back with the first ever Star Trek con in the UK in the early 1970's.
                  A few years ago I thought that I would jump back into the fan circuit and attend the first ever SFX con in Blackpool because JM was going and I really wanted to see the bloke.

Had a brilliant time at that, and so just kept going to any Buffy/Angel event I could afford.

Comment

sueworld, Nick has a site at nickbrendon.com. I looked and didn't see any mention of any fan events coming up with him.

Comment

Originally posted by kudagirl View Post
                      sueworld, Nick has a site at nickbrendon.com. I looked and didn't see any mention of any fan events coming up with him.
                      He is booked to do Collectormania Glasgow August, 23rd-24th
                      http://www.collectormaniaglasgow.co.uk/index.html
                      I work for the company running the event and will be working there that weekend,
                      Look for the little one running around with a crew badge with "SJ" on it, :P

SJ
                      xox
                      sigpic

Comment

slaycandy, if only I could go to Glasgow. I would love to, but stuck here in TX. On Nick's site, it didn't seem to be updated very often. Wonder if a fan does it for him?

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                          Which event is Nick attending then? Any links?

I've been to quite few con's over the years, starting right the way back with the first ever Star Trek con in the UK in the early 1970's.
                          A few years ago I thought that I would jump back into the fan circuit and attend the first ever SFX con in Blackpool because JM was going and I really wanted to see the bloke.

Had a brilliant time at that, and so just kept going to any Buffy/Angel event I could afford.
                          Out of curiosity were you at the event recently with both JM and John Barrowman? Just noticed your sig banner! It was a hectic event and I was working in the photo sessions on the computers and sending them all off to get developed, so I was a bit rushed all day, lol! But JM and JB were really nice which was cool,

SJ
                          xox
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X