Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Book Series

Because it's made of awesome

I know that I'm not the only one feeling the need to talk about these amazing books by Stephenie Meyer, so I thought we needed a dedicated thread.
    I wasn't sure wether to make this just for the first book or for all three (soon to be 4) but I decided that it may be hard to keep the conversation limited to one book only, so I made this for all books. I don't think there's a need to use spoiler tags (which is the whole reason I wanted to make this thread, I'm tired of spoiler wrapping everything in the VIP chat ) I am pretty sure that if you've read the first book, you have or will read the others...

So to get this started, the reason I wanted to make this thread is that I always get these random thoughts about the books, the story and the characters and I always wonder wether others have the same thoughts as me.

For example, I was just thinking today how much I really like Bella, or the way she is written
    I really love how thorough she is, I am re-reading Twilight now and I just love the way her thoughts go. I love how she describes every little detail sometimes, like the first time she cooked for example or the first time Edward is in her room, when she gets ready for bed to make sure Charlie doesn't think she's sneaking out. It might sound a bit weird but it's those little details that make me love her (and the books) so.
    The same goes for all the other characters in the series, I really do love them all dearly, they all have different qualities that make me like them.

The books are written in a way I find extremely compelling and it's so easy to get lost in the book (I am sure we all agree on this).

My favourite "peripheral" character is beyond doubt Alice, she is just so lovely. I love her bubbly, outgoing, cheerful character but I do think there's much more to her than that. It must be difficult always knowing what's going to happen, useful of course, but also difficult and I do think that she has developed her naturally optimistic attitude because of her ability... does that sound odd?

I'm just babbling here, feel free to jump in
    >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

I too love all the descriptions of simple things. It makes the characters seem more real and alive. I also love her detail of remembering what positions people are in. Like if Edward has a hand on Bella's face, we'll later hear of him putting it down or her struggling to talk with it. It really makes the scenes that much easier to envision.

Oh can I just say how much i love the refrigerator magnet scene! I arrange magnets compulsively all the time without even knowing I am.

I cannot pick a fave side character! They all are so amazing. But Alice is so awesome, I can totally hear her voice in my head. I was using a quote yesterday and for the life of me couldn't remember what show it was. After much thinking I realized it was Alice. (btw, the quote was from when she confronted Bella/Edward for sneaking away to get married, "Words!!!" )

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
      I too love all the descriptions of simple things. It makes the characters seem more real and alive. I also love her detail of remembering what positions people are in. Like if Edward has a hand on Bella's face, we'll later hear of him putting it down or her struggling to talk with it. It really makes the scenes that much easier to envision.
      Yes, I agree - there's just so much love for details in these books that it's hard not to envision everything. Even the color of their clothes or cars (even the car that nearly crushed Bella, it's not really important what color it is but she still notices)...
      I know sometimes I've read other books where I've skimmed past parts that were over-descriptive but with these books, I simply can't miss a word. And it also doesn't seem like any of it is unnecessary, it's like we need to know all these things because that's how Bella sees things, so naturally it's important

Oh can I just say how much i love the refrigerator magnet scene! I arrange magnets compulsively all the time without even knowing I am.
      I'd forgotten about that scene, oh how I love that
      I actually arranged mine just the other day, because I got a new one so I took all of them off to put them back up
      I cannot pick a fave side character! They all are so amazing. But Alice is so awesome, I can totally hear her voice in my head. I was using a quote yesterday and for the life of me couldn't remember what show it was. After much thinking I realized it was Alice. (btw, the quote was from when she confronted Bella/Edward for sneaking away to get married, "Words!!!" )
      Her soprano voice
      I love everything about her, the way she's meant to dance when she walks.. *sigh* perfection...

I agree with you though, all the characters are amazing and it's hard to chose a favourite, I do love them all almost equally (except for Jacob, I love him not lol)
      >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

I actually really love human Jacob! The first time reading New Moon when I got to the end of movie night, I actually went back to the point where she finds teh motorcycles and read it all again. I could tell that would be the end of the simple uncomplicated Jacob I loved and I wanted to savor that memory of him forever. Which is good cause he kinda irks me now. Though it's hard to fault a 16 1/2 year old boy for being immature against a 100 something year old vampire. Especially when said vampire steals the cd he just gave you for your birthday right out of your cd player. :grr:

I agree the descriptions are just enough to perfectly set the scene yet never feel boring or wordy. I too hate to miss a word, and I'm usually a very naughty skimmer of pages.

Speaking of cars, I about died at how spot on I was able to imagine them in comparison to the pics Meyer posted on her website. She is very impressive in her light writing style conveying so much.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Well, you know mine My perpetual muse, Rosalie Hale. I just found myself fascinated by her! She just captivated me from the beginning without even saying a word to Bella! All we really knew about her is that she's out of this world beautiful and that she can dish out some fierce glares. But even though I was wrapped up in Bella/Edward, I couldn't help but wonder more about Rosalie. How did she become a vampire? If Carlisle only changed people who were about to die, what happened to Rosalie? Why didn't she welcome Bella as easily as the rest of the family? And what was it that drew her to Emmett and so desperate to save him? And later (as in New Moon later), what were her intentions telling Edward that Bella had died. I just had all these questions about her building up in my head (most of which were answered ) and I clung to every possible detail about Rosalie that I could come across. And I was just wrapped up in them. Learning her story only made me love her even more! Obviously, like she said, none of their stories are really happy. But it wasn't full of adventure, like Emmett's, or mysterious like Alice. It was dark, and it was the most haunting of everyones stories. Especially since Bella was able to parallel it to her own experience - what could have happened had Edward not saved her.

Another thing that entertained me about her was the way that she and Edward don't seem to get along THAT well. Like the way he spoke so positively about his whole family when he was talking about the qualities they brought to their new life...everyone except for Rosalie. Oh sure, the rest of them have compassion, strength, love...Rosalie is pigheaded! Or when he gave Bella the diamond for her bracelet, and said that he's given some of the stuff he inherited not to Rosalie, but to both Esme and Alice. Maybe he was trying not to worry Bella or something, or to show that there really was not competition between the two of them It always makes me laugh when Rosalie says that sometimes she doesn't give Edward enough credit. Or while she's telling Bella her story, she slips in the way that they've really annoyed each other from the beginning! I love that she's so proud of the fact that she's never tasted human blood, and that she admitted to being "overly theatrical" with those murders she did commit.

My other favorite would be Jasper. Because apparently the Hales just have some kind of hold on me. Coincidentally, he also keeps his distance from Bella, but for different reasons... I'll admit, he's my number 2 more because I'm in love with him than for any other reason. The way he's so devoted to Alice, the way he acted like a good Southern gentleman when Alice approached him (if I didn't wanna squeal so much reading it, I would have probably been sick from the cuteness) Also, his power intrigued me

I actually really love human Jacob! The first time reading New Moon when I got to the end of movie night, I actually went back to the point where she finds teh motorcycles and read it all again. I could tell that would be the end of the simple uncomplicated Jacob I loved and I wanted to savor that memory of him forever. Which is good cause he kinda irks me now. Though it's hard to fault a 16 1/2 year old boy for being immature against a 100 something year old vampire. Especially when said vampire steals the cd he just gave you for your birthday right out of your cd player. :grr:
          I agree about that. I didn't love him, but I didn't hate him yet. I enjoyed the motorcycles and pissing off Mike If he could have stayed young and fun and carefree like the Jacob we got to know, I could have really liked him as Bella's friend. And that's not because he wouldn't interfere with Edward/Bella...because that's not what made me dislike him. It was just grown up Jacob BUGGED the friggen crap out of me. Like everything Bella said about him not being her Jacob, I could understand. There were times where he was just completely different. Unfortunately, turning Jacob into a "grown up" left a bad taste in my mouth, and as much as I try to get past that and remember when he was fun and personable, I just...cannot.
          Last edited by little albatross; 09-03-08, 08:59 AM.
          would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Ahh Jacob!!! I won't say I love him because that would be lying but I did like him pre-wolfification mainly because if it wasn't for him we'd probably have more blank pages just displaying the name of a month
            He was there for Bella, he was what she needed at the time and I wish he had just stopped pushing her
            I'm not entirely sure how I feel about what happened at the end of Eclipse, the kiss and Bella admitting she loved him.... I doubt it's going to have a bigger influence on Bella and Edwards relationship, because she did make her choice and she also made it very clear that it was the only choice she'd make!
            But I can't help thinking what if.... I mean, there's a whole other book coming and a lot can happen....
            Ideally I wish it could just be a book about Bella and Edward getting married, the days of marriage and then eventually her being vampified... I'd hate if we are left in the unknown about that, I really truely hope not. I also hope that nothing goes wrong so that she can't become a vampire because I want that so badly to happen

I did read somewhere that Stephenie likes happy endings and seeing as she says this will be the last book in the series from Bella's POV, I don't see her ending the book with anything unresolved. I hope not, anyway..

Originally posted by little albatross View Post
            Another thing that entertained me about her was the way that she and Edward don't seem to get along THAT well. Like the way he spoke so positively about his whole family when he was talking about the qualities they brought to their new life...everyone except for Rosalie. Oh sure, the rest of them have compassion, strength, love...Rosalie is pigheaded! Or when he gave Bella the diamond for her bracelet, and said that he's given some of the stuff he inherited not to Rosalie, but to both Esme and Alice. Maybe he was trying not to worry Bella or something, or to show that there really was not competition between the two of them It always makes me laugh when Rosalie says that sometimes she doesn't give Edward enough credit. Or while she's telling Bella her story, she slips in the way that they've really annoyed each other from the beginning! I love that she's so proud of the fact that she's never tasted human blood, and that she admitted to being "overly theatrical" with those murders she did commit.
            I loved the fact that she admitted to being shallow when she was human. I actually really admire her honesty when she tells Bella her story, also about the murders she committed. I must admit that it made me like her even better, not that I didn't like her but I didn't know much about her and because we see this from Bella's pov, we don't really hear much detail about her other than she's beautiful and doesn't like Bella.... I enjoyed her story, especially the way she told it

My other favorite would be Jasper. Because apparently the Hales just have some kind of hold on me. Coincidentally, he also keeps his distance from Bella, but for different reasons... I'll admit, he's my number 2 more because I'm in love with him than for any other reason. The way he's so devoted to Alice, the way he acted like a good Southern gentleman when Alice approached him (if I didn't wanna squeal so much reading it, I would have probably been sick from the cuteness) Also, his power intrigued me
            Jasper I love him so. His story made me so sad
            I loved how he just followed Alice because she said so, he just accepted that this was how it was meant to be, like he already knew she was going to be special to him and change his life forever
            I'm a sucker for the romance in these books. I want the romance and the happy ending!!!!!

I think it's the way it's written, it doesn't seem as if it's cheesy or anything, it's written in such a light spirited way.
            Last edited by Leloo; 09-03-08, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leloo View Post
              Ideally I wish it could just be a book about Bella and Edward getting married, the days of marriage and then eventually her being vampified... I'd hate if we are left in the unknown about that, I really truely hope not. I also hope that nothing goes wrong so that she can't become a vampire because I want that so badly to happen
              Aah...I probably say this way too often. But even though what Bella would be leaving behind to become a vampire would be really sad, my curiosity has completely taken me over! Ideas were just planted into my head - the Volturi's interest in her future abilities, the Cullens betting on how badly she'd massacre poor unsuspecting humans, and arm wrestling with Emmett! It's just too much too handle, and I might explode if we don't get a taste of what vampire Bella is like.

Comment

Aah...I probably say this way too often. But even though what Bella would be leaving behind to become a vampire would be really sad, my curiosity has completely taken me over! Ideas were just planted into my head - the Volturi's interest in her future abilities, the Cullens betting on how badly she'd massacre poor unsuspecting humans, and arm wrestling with Emmett! It's just too much too handle, and I might explode if we don't get a taste of what vampire Bella is like.
                Me too!!! Exploding
                I SO want to see her and Emmett arm-wrestle

And I am also curious about her abilities, I've tried to imagine what they may be but I am at a loss... I really don't want the book to be about their wedding, a Volturi showdown and then in the end Bella being turned and that's it.

I want ALL OF THAT and then some
                I want to know what it's like for her as a vampire, I want to hear about it, I want the story to continue, I am so scared we won't get to see it...

Ideally I'd like her to be human in half of the book and a vampire in the other half

Comment

Ditto! Perfect!

I'm ready for a series to dare to turn their heroine into a monster and have her cope with it.

And her brain function has me overwhelmingly curious that I feel I'll just implode if we don't learn more about it!

I love reading your thoughts on Rosalie, jj. They are so indepth and its amazing how you picked so much up on her, especially during the first book and a half. As I've mentioned before, I fell in love with Rosalie at the vote and never looked back.

I love her honesty to admit shallowness, pettiness, and jealousy. She's cursed with uncontrollably feeling them and the fact she realizes they are a liability and doesn't act on them is impressive.

I did read somewhere that Stephenie likes happy endings and seeing as she says this will be the last book in the series from Bella's POV, I don't see her ending the book with anything unresolved. I hope not, anyway..
                  Oh! Last in the series from Bella's view! That kind of line gives me hope about the future of the Cullen clan. (True it could just refer to Midnight Sun, but this world of individualsl she has created are so unique it would be such a waste (to quote the Volturi, zomg! they're good for something) to stop there. )

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Ditto! Perfect!

I'm ready for a series to dare to turn their heroine into a monster and have her cope with it.

And her brain function has me overwhelmingly curious that I feel I'll just implode if we don't learn more about it!
                    YES me too! First of all it's pretty much the only way it can end happily, right? I mean, it'll only be half-happy if they get married but she isn't turned... "and they lived half-happily ever after... until Bella got old and died" Hmm.. doesn't work

I also agree that it would be daring to have her turned and I am sure that it would be so interesting to hear about her coping with it all. Imagine her thoughts...
                    I love reading your thoughts on Rosalie, jj. They are so indepth and its amazing how you picked so much up on her, especially during the first book and a half. As I've mentioned before, I fell in love with Rosalie at the vote and never looked back.

I love her honesty to admit shallowness, pettiness, and jealousy. She's cursed with uncontrollably feeling them and the fact she realizes they are a liability and doesn't act on them is impressive.
                    I have to agree, it's impressive how much J.j picked up of Rosalie, I didn't really give her much thought until the voting either. I tend to relate/sympathise mostly to the main character usually when I read or watch something so in this case I never thought about Rosalie much more than Bella did. Not until the voting and when she tells her story, did I think there was more to her

Oh! Last in the series from Bella's view! That kind of line gives me hope about the future of the Cullen clan. (True it could just refer to Midnight Sun, but this world of individualsl she has created are so unique it would be such a waste (to quote the Volturi, zomg! they're good for something) to stop there. )
                    Well... she said she would love to write more about The Cullens but first she has 2 other books to finish

I'm hoping she will continue writing about this story, even if it's not right away then maybe sometime in the future. It doesn't end with just Bella and Edward, there's so much more to this

Comment

Line is on a roll with the Twilight threads, woohoo!

Well you guys already know how much I adore these books! I'm on my second read-through of the series now and am reading New Moon at the moment. I think New Moon is my favourite book, even if Edward is absent for a large part of the book. I just love how Stephenie Meyer describes Bella's depression after Edward left her but then I'm a sucker for angst so maybe that's not so surprising. Meyer's description of Bella's hole in her chest and how she can feel physical pain if she only thinks of Edward are just so well done and I as a reader can totally sympathise with Bella and I find her pain heartbreaking. I also love how Bella and Jacob become friends and how she can get over her pain for a little while when she is with Jacob. The werewolves storyline is also interesting although I do prefer human Jacob (before he turned into a werewolf). I find the whole imprinting thing very icky though, especially if it happens with a baby. *shudders*

My favourite characters of the books are Alice and Edward but I really like all the characters, apart from Jacob sometimes (for example when he kisses Bella without permission and keeps on violently kissing her even though she wants to push him away, I did not much care for Jacob in that instance). I love Alice because of her enthusiasm, her friendliness and bubbliness, how she is described physically (her whole pixie-like look), the way she moves (almost dancing because she is so graceful). Also, I find her extra power (seeing the future) endlessly fascinating. I also really liked her backstory, being stuck in a mental institution because humans couldn't deal with her "gift".

I love Edward because I like how he struggles with his desires, both for Bella's body and Bella's blood, because he chooses love over anything else, because he is so smug sometimes, because he has a temper, because he can still get jealous of a teenage boy (aka Jacob) even if he is over 100 years old, because he tries to be good even if he is a vampire. Not to mention his physical beauty, his graceful movements, his perfect past century articulation and his crooked smile!

As much as I like the books, I admit I do have problems with Bella sometimes. I don't like that she seems to think so little of herself and constantly puts herself down. I know it's hard having self-esteem as a teenager and if you have to compare yourself with such a magnificent creature as Edward, that must not be very helpful but still, I generally don't like it when girls put themselves down all the time and worship the ground their boyfriends walk on. So I have difficulties with this aspect of Bella's character and sometimes get irritated by her. However, this does not diminish my love for the books as a whole.

I'm usually not someone who always pushes for a happy ending but I would like to see a happy ending for Bella and Edward in the 4th book. I like Line's idea of half the books showing them getting and being married and the second half showing how Bella is turned into a vampire, how she adapts to being vampire and what, if any, her special power would be. On the one hand, I don't want Bella to give up her human life (it would be devastating for her parents and for Jacob) but on the other hand I'm too curious as to what Bella as a vampire would be like. Also, Bella and Edward can only truly have a happy ending and stay together forever if Bella really is turned into a vampire. And I want Edward to be the one who turns Bella.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
                        As much as I like the books, I admit I do have problems with Bella sometimes. I don't like that she seems to think so little of herself and constantly puts herself down. I know it's hard having self-esteem as a teenager and if you have to compare yourself with such a magnificent creature as Edward, that must not be very helpful but still, I generally don't like it when girls put themselves down all the time and worship the ground their boyfriends walk on. So I have difficulties with this aspect of Bella's character and sometimes get irritated by her. However, this does not diminish my love for the books as a whole.
                        I take that same issue with Bella. I actually often find myself disliking her, and yet somehow it doesn't detract from my love for the books! I get so caught up in her storytelling, but she frustrates me! Usually, it's just small issues. But there are some biggies, like the way she puts herself down. And the way she identified so much with the third wife in the Quileute story. I knew that she wanted to help, but being so willing sacrificing herself was...a bit extreme for my taste. The Cullens considered her part of the family, and they were going to do whatever they could to protect her. They wouldn't be satisfied knowing they were no longer in danger, just because Bella took herself out of the picture. And Edward made it clear that he would, um, follow her into the dark. (You know what I mean, but I don't want to say it! The thought would pain me just as much as it pains Bella!) I didn't think it was so wrong of her to ask Edward not to fight, because like he said, it was a compromise he could live with.

On the subject of Jacob, I don't think it's ever okay to say you'll get yourself killed to get a girl to kiss you. [And I think I'm only half serious when I say this] But anybody who would try to use that tactic better be able to make good on the threat. Anyway, all the violent kissing was too much like he was forcing her to realize she loved him. Or to force her to love him. I mean, I'm glad that she did realize it, just so that she really did make the decision knowing her options. But I really wish it didn't seem as though she were *forced* to see these options...

I have to agree, it's impressive how much J.j picked up of Rosalie, I didn't really give her much thought until the voting either. I tend to relate/sympathise mostly to the main character usually when I read or watch something so in this case I never thought about Rosalie much more than Bella did. Not until the voting and when she tells her story, did I think there was more to her
                        Well gosh I'm just a bit obsessed.

But it's funny, because I tend to cling to the peripheral characters. Even if I'm extremely invested in the main characters/stories...My mind gets so wrapped up in the minor characters, and they become such a mystery, a fascination to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leloo
                          Yes, I agree - there's just so much love for details in these books that it's hard not to envision everything. Even the color of their clothes or cars (even the car that nearly crushed Bella, it's not really important what color it is but she still notices)...
                          I know sometimes I've read other books where I've skimmed past parts that were over-descriptive but with these books, I simply can't miss a word. And it also doesn't seem like any of it is unnecessary, it's like we need to know all these things because that's how Bella sees things, so naturally it's important
                          I agree. Bella's thoughts are a amazing way to narate the books because it gives us so much interesting and important insight as to how Bella reacts to things and how much details she actually notices. And as it has been already stated, it makes the scenes so much more easier to imagine when reading.

I agree with you though, all the characters are amazing and it's hard to chose a favourite, I do love them all almost equally (except for Jacob, I love him not lol)
                          I love all the characters too. My most favorite ones are Edward (aww, my lion), Bella and Alice (she's so cute and happy). As for Jacob, I don't hate him, but let's say that I would've liked him a lot more if he and Bella has stayed friends (because I do enjoy their friendship).

Originally posted by Cori
                          I love Edward because I like how he struggles with his desires, both for Bella's body and Bella's blood, because he chooses love over anything else, because he is so smug sometimes, because he has a temper, because he can still get jealous of a teenage boy (aka Jacob) even if he is over 100 years old, because he tries to be good even if he is a vampire. Not to mention his physical beauty, his graceful movements, his perfect past century articulation and his crooked smile!
                          I simply agree with everything that you said, Cori. Your desciption of Edward's character is exactly why I fell in love with him in the first place, and those words made me fall in love all over again! Aww!

I'll stop there for the moment, but I promise to come back later and write a more elaborate post because I'll be never tired of discussing my favorite books.
                          Last edited by [email protected]~; 10-03-08, 02:14 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Banner Set made by the lovely Dana.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
                            Line is on a roll with the Twilight threads, woohoo!

Well you guys already know how much I adore these books! I'm on my second read-through of the series now and am reading New Moon at the moment. I think New Moon is my favourite book, even if Edward is absent for a large part of the book. I just love how Stephenie Meyer describes Bella's depression after Edward left her but then I'm a sucker for angst so maybe that's not so surprising. Meyer's description of Bella's hole in her chest and how she can feel physical pain if she only thinks of Edward are just so well done and I as a reader can totally sympathise with Bella and I find her pain heartbreaking.
                            I don't think I've ever been so emotional while reading a book as when I read New Moon, I choked up almost every second page I thought maybe it was a bit too angsty, perhaps because I'm not used to reading anything quite like it and also because I am a sucker for romance and happy endings. I thought it was amazingly written though and I guess I cried mostly because I really could feel every single feeling that Bella had. It was heartbreaking and painful.

I also love how Bella and Jacob become friends and how she can get over her pain for a little while when she is with Jacob. The werewolves storyline is also interesting although I do prefer human Jacob (before he turned into a werewolf). I find the whole imprinting thing very icky though, especially if it happens with a baby. *shudders*
                            Yeah, that baby imprinting story was weird
                            I love the Quileute and the werewolf backstory, it's really interesting and even though I also prefer Jacob as a non-wolf, I love the stories. I also really like the fact that she chose werewolves as the enemies of the vampires...

My favourite characters of the books are Alice and Edward but I really like all the characters, apart from Jacob sometimes (for example when he kisses Bella without permission and keeps on violently kissing her even though she wants to push him away, I did not much care for Jacob in that instance). I love Alice because of her enthusiasm, her friendliness and bubbliness, how she is described physically (her whole pixie-like look), the way she moves (almost dancing because she is so graceful). Also, I find her extra power (seeing the future) endlessly fascinating. I also really liked her backstory, being stuck in a mental institution because humans couldn't deal with her "gift".

Alice's story is interesting. Alice is interesting period. I can't say it enough but I just love everything about her.

All of those things are exactly why I love Edward

Even when he left Bella, I could not hate him. He obviously didn't know how it was going to play out (although he could have asked Alice if it was a good idea to leave ), he thought he did the right thing. I admire him for the fact that he had waited a decade to find Bella and then when he finds her, he feels like he won't be enough for her, that he'll ruin her chances at a normal human life... he didn't know it would almost kill her, he knew it would kill him everyday but he still left because he thought there was a chance that she would move on someday and be happy...
                            Here I go justifying his actions even though we all know it
                            Point is, I can't hate him for leaving because he had his reasons and the way he explains them, I understand those reasons. Even though I felt all of Bella's pain, I guess I also felt her love for him. Or maybe it's my own love for him

I'm usually not someone who always pushes for a happy ending but I would like to see a happy ending for Bella and Edward in the 4th book. I like Line's idea of half the books showing them getting and being married and the second half showing how Bella is turned into a vampire, how she adapts to being vampire and what, if any, her special power would be. On the one hand, I don't want Bella to give up her human life (it would be devastating for her parents and for Jacob) but on the other hand I'm too curious as to what Bella as a vampire would be like. Also, Bella and Edward can only truly have a happy ending and stay together forever if Bella really is turned into a vampire. And I want Edward to be the one who turns Bella.
                            Ahh I'm a sucker for happy endings. I don't doubt we will get a happy ending with the 4th book. I do believe Bella will become a vampire but my fear is that we won't really see it happen, or even if we do we may not see what happens next. I'm suspecting perhaps an epilogue that takes place several years later? I don't know, I just had that thought now that maybe the book won't really be about her being a vampire. Stephenie has said that the 4th book will wrap up Bella's story. I'm thinking, that she means it like her backstory, like the things that lead up to her life as a vampire. Just like when we hear the Cullen family's stories.... I don't know, it was something I thought of when I read that Stephenie had said that.
                            So I am thinking, maybe that's a hint that yes, Bella will become a vampire but we may not hear that much about her life as one.

The book has to end somewhere, right? It can't go on forever

She also did say that she has several books outlined for the same series, but they won't be from Bella's pov. She will be included (as will Jasper, Alice and Edward - that's what she said) but she won't narrate. And that's excluding Midnight Sun, btw. Now, I can live with that

Comment

I'm reading the first book at the moment, and it just occurred to me that Bella is (love of vampire dudes aside) pretty much the anti-Buffy: she's defined by her helplessness and ineptitude. There's something a bit creepy about the reactionary nature of the books (woman defined entirely by love) but at the same time, they're oddly compelling. As people have been saying, the focus on the details, the way it captures teenage emotions make it a very swift and vivid read. The bit where he comes out in the sunlight, especially.

But I'm starting to get bored of it now it's turned into a chase story (hiding from the hunter dude). Does it move away from that towards the end of the book? I liked the build up and how we find out about vampires (I'm a massive sucker for a vampire backstory, finding out what era people come from)..but after that I felt a bit let-down, as if the tension had gone.

But, hoping things will change again...and perhaps the next books won't be so focussed on the running and chasing and "I know where you are and I have your mother hostage mwahahaha" over the phone with the bad guy (cod horror device).

Looking forward to finding out more about the werewolves!

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I take that same issue with Bella. I actually often find myself disliking her, and yet somehow it doesn't detract from my love for the books! I get so caught up in her storytelling, but she frustrates me! Usually, it's just small issues. But there are some biggies, like the way she puts herself down. And the way she identified so much with the third wife in the Quileute story. I knew that she wanted to help, but being so willing sacrificing herself was...a bit extreme for my taste. The Cullens considered her part of the family, and they were going to do whatever they could to protect her. They wouldn't be satisfied knowing they were no longer in danger, just because Bella took herself out of the picture. And Edward made it clear that he would, um, follow her into the dark. (You know what I mean, but I don't want to say it! The thought would pain me just as much as it pains Bella!) I didn't think it was so wrong of her to ask Edward not to fight, because like he said, it was a compromise he could live with.
                                I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I agree, the extent to which Bella identified with the third wife in the Quileute story was disturbing and definitely unhealthy. Bella seems to think so little of herself that she has no problems with self-sacrifice and that deeply disturbs me. Also, in every big fight/showdown throughout the three books she always worries about Edward, all the Cullens, Jacob and all the werewolves but never about herself even if she is the only one who is just human and does not have any superpowers. That irritates me a lot to be honest.

Originally posted by Leloo View Post
                                Ahh I'm a sucker for happy endings. I don't doubt we will get a happy ending with the 4th book. I do believe Bella will become a vampire but my fear is that we won't really see it happen, or even if we do we may not see what happens next. I'm suspecting perhaps an epilogue that takes place several years later? I don't know, I just had that thought now that maybe the book won't really be about her being a vampire. Stephenie has said that the 4th book will wrap up Bella's story. I'm thinking, that she means it like her backstory, like the things that lead up to her life as a vampire. Just like when we hear the Cullen family's stories.... I don't know, it was something I thought of when I read that Stephenie had said that.
                                So I am thinking, maybe that's a hint that yes, Bella will become a vampire but we may not hear that much about her life as one.
                                Well I hope we still get to see at least a glimpse of Bella as a vampire, maybe in the epilogue as you suggested. Stephenie Meyer has to give us something!

The book has to end somewhere, right? It can't go on forever
                                Well if it were up to me, it could go on forever. Alas, not up to me.

She also did say that she has several books outlined for the same series, but they won't be from Bella's pov. She will be included (as will Jasper, Alice and Edward - that's what she said) but she won't narrate. And that's excluding Midnight Sun, btw. Now, I can live with that
                                Oooh that sounds promising! I'll read any book from the Twilight universe, no matter in which perspective it is written. And as long as Edward and Alice are included, I'm one happy reader.

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                                I'm reading the first book at the moment, and it just occurred to me that Bella is (love of vampire dudes aside) pretty much the anti-Buffy: she's defined by her helplessness and ineptitude. There's something a bit creepy about the reactionary nature of the books (woman defined entirely by love) but at the same time, they're oddly compelling. As people have been saying, the focus on the details, the way it captures teenage emotions make it a very swift and vivid read. The bit where he comes out in the sunlight, especially.
                                I concur. I also have a problem with that (Bella being so entirely defined by love and putting Edward above everything else). It ties in with what I have written above about Bella always putting herself down and worshipping Edward.

Comment

I concur. I also have a problem with that (Bella being so entirely defined by love and putting Edward above everything else). It ties in with what I have written above about Bella always putting herself down and worshipping Edward.
                                  I think for me this is partly a problem with reading books about teenagers...because, to be frank, however much of a baby feminist I was at the time...I did have that kind of crush, where nothing would matter but the person I was "in love" with. So, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, Bella seems like a massive dormat...but, well, I'd probably be the pot calling the kettle black if I had a go at her for it. Well, no, actually, she is worse than most teenagers. With the whole "willing to die" thing, plus not really having any interests outside of love.

If Bella remains the focus I might lose interest. I wanna know about Alice! And the other vampires. Not much about them so far, or not as much as I'd like.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                                    I think for me this is partly a problem with reading books about teenagers...because, to be frank, however much of a baby feminist I was at the time...I did have that kind of crush, where nothing would matter but the person I was "in love" with. So, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, Bella seems like a massive dormat...but, well, I'd probably be the pot calling the kettle black if I had a go at her for it. Well, no, actually, she is worse than most teenagers. With the whole "willing to die" thing, plus not really having any interests outside of love.
                                    I also think she is worse than most teenagers in this respect. I mean, I was also pretty much an emotional mess as a teenager and had this big crush on a guy and spent most of my time thinking about him. But I still managed to have other interests (friends, different hobbies etc.).

One thing that I really love about Bella though is that she reads so much. I guess Stephenie Meyer put that in because she obviously loves to read herself and maybe also with an educational message in mind so that her teenage readers keep on reading after they have finished the Twilight series.

If Bella remains the focus I might lose interest. I wanna know about Alice! And the other vampires. Not much about them so far, or not as much as I'd like.
                                    I don't want to spoil you for the other books. I can promise you though that you will learn more about the backstories of the vampires in the 2nd and 3rd book.

Comment

QUESTION FROM PERSON WHO'S NEVER READ THEM.

Is this a book for everyone? Because, I was thinking of picking it up at the library today or tomorrow if I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                                        QUESTION FROM PERSON WHO'S NEVER READ THEM.

Is this a book for everyone? Because, I was thinking of picking it up at the library today or tomorrow if I get the chance.
                                        Well you could give it a try

I'm trying to deside who my favorite character aside from Edward and Bella...
                                        Avie by Lrae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X