Twilight Movie - Speculations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Movie - Speculations!

With the Twilight movie having started filming now and the main actors have been cast, I know we all have thoughts about how we would like the movie to play out.

I thought we could use a dedicated place (ok, I could use a dedicated place ) to discuss thoughts and speculations on how the book will be adapted into script, opinions about the actors who have been cast and just general appreciation for the fact that we are getting a movie

After having read an interview with Kristen Stewart, who is Bella, where she said that they had just been shooting the meadow scene and it had them actually running on top of the trees, which was right after Edward had told Bella that he was a vampire in the meadow, I got a little scared.
    I don't mind that some parts of a book is changed when adapting into a movie, but I really do not hope that they are cutting the scene in Port Angeles, I think that scene is just so crucial to their relationship and I love their conversation in the restaurant, in the car and in the cafeteria the next day...

I also think that it'll take away from Bella's perceptiveness and character if they don't have the conversations they have in Port Angeles/the car/the cafeteria.....

I'm really excited about the cast, I love the look of the actress playing Alice, I think she is just perfectly pixie-like and cute.
    I'm thrilled with Edward and I think they chose a great Bella as well

I know I am not the only one superexcited about the movie, so I hope we can talk about it in here
    >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Yay for Line starting this thread!

I'm very excited about the prospect of the Twilight movie but just like Line, I'm a bit scared that they will cut scenes which are important or just dear to me. I would also hate it if they cut the Port Angeles scene because the scene in the restaurant between Edward and Bella is one of my favourite moments in Twilight. I love how Bella questions him and he answers on a purely hypothetical basis of course.

As I have mentioned in the VIP thread, I also hope that they won't cut the beach scene. However, I don't think they will. I have read on Stephenie Meyer's website that regarding the casting of Jacob they are looking for a native American actor who is willing to work on sequels. So I think they are definitely thinking ahead and since New Moon and Eclipse do not work without Jacob and the werewolf storyline, I think they will include the beach scene in Twilight.Apparently, they also already cast Sam, that definitely points to the beach scene being in the movie because I think that's the only time we see Sam in Twilight.

I'm also very excited about the casting of the roles of Edward and Bella. I enjoyed Kristen Stewart's performance in Into The Wild and just looks-wise I think she will make a good Bella. I can't wait to see what the make-up department will come up (the pale skin, the contacts for the topaz/black eyes) and I hope that they will get Edward's past century articulation and his crooked smile just right.

And I'm beyond thrilled with the casting of Peter Facinelli as Carlisle. He is not the first actor that I would have thought of for this role and Peter with blond hair does need some getting used to, but I'm sure he will do a great job and finding Peter drop-dead gorgeous I can't wait to see him on the big screen.

I'm also curious how they will get Alice's movements right, the way she almost always dances when she moves. I like the actress they cast for Alice, as Line said, she does look pixie-like and cute, just as Alice is described in the books.

Okay that's it for now. I'm sure I will be back to post more though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
      Yay for Line starting this thread!

I'm very excited about the prospect of the Twilight movie but just like Line, I'm a bit scared that they will cut scenes which are important or just dear to me. I would also hate it if they cut the Port Angeles scene because the scene in the restaurant between Edward and Bella is one of my favourite moments in Twilight. I love how Bella questions him and he answers on a purely hypothetical basis of course.
      This scene - they just cannot cut it!!! I'm hoping Kristen just misunderstood what was going on
      Or, perhaps the person doing the interview didn't quote her right... yeah, that's what it was

As I have mentioned in the VIP thread, I also hope that they won't cut the beach scene. However, I don't think they will. I have read on Stephenie Meyer's website that regarding the casting of Jacob they are looking for a native American actor who is willing to work on sequels. So I think they are definitely thinking ahead and since New Moon and Eclipse do not work without Jacob and the werewolf storyline, I think they will include the beach scene in Twilight.Apparently, they also already cast Sam, that definitely points to the beach scene being in the movie because I think that's the only time we see Sam in Twilight.
      The beach scene is another really important moment, not only for Twilight but for the story throughout the books... They can't cut that either and I really don't think they will. They recently cast Sam and I do believe you're right, it's the only time we see him in Twilight. So yay for beach scene, unless they put him in somewhere else? I hope not

I'm also very excited about the casting of the roles of Edward and Bella. I enjoyed Kristen Stewart's performance in Into The Wild and just looks-wise I think she will make a good Bella. I can't wait to see what the make-up department will come up (the pale skin, the contacts for the topaz/black eyes) and I hope that they will get Edward's past century articulation and his crooked smile just right.

And I'm beyond thrilled with the casting of Peter Facinelli as Carlisle. He is not the first actor that I would have thought of for this role and Peter with blond hair does need some getting used to, but I'm sure he will do a great job and finding Peter drop-dead gorgeous I can't wait to see him on the big screen.

I'm also curious how they will get Alice's movements right, the way she almost always dances when she moves. I like the actress they cast for Alice, as Line said, she does look pixie-like and cute, just as Alice is described in the books.

Okay that's it for now. I'm sure I will be back to post more though.
      I think Robert Pattinson is so perfect for the role of Edward, the more I look at pictures of him, the more I see Edward. I am positive we won't be dissapointed by him or by Kristen for that matter. She looks so much like Bella, I love her look so much.
      And ofcource Ashley Greene, she is just utterly perfect as Alice!! From the promos I saw though, they aren't giving her a completely short haircut, which I guess doesn't really matter, she still looks perfect - her face is so excuisite (sp) and she looks so tiny

I'm having trouble adjusting to Nikki Reed as Rosalie - I've only ever seen her on the OC and I didn't like her character. I also don't find her breathtakingly beautiful, she's beautiful but just not how I pictured Rosalie. And ofcourse, she isn't a blonde which makes it harder to imagine.... Emmett, I am ok with. I don't really know the actor but I think he could look like Emmett... he's no Tom Welling of course but he will do, I suppose
      >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

Originally posted by Leloo View Post
        This scene - they just cannot cut it!!! I'm hoping Kristen just misunderstood what was going on
        Or, perhaps the person doing the interview didn't quote her right... yeah, that's what it was
        Yeah let's keep our fingers crossed that's what it was. I don't want Edward telling Bella bluntly that he is a vampire, I want her to figure it out for herself and him only confirming it, like it is in the book.

The beach scene is another really important moment, not only for Twilight but for the story throughout the books... They can't cut that either and I really don't think they will. They recently cast Sam and I do believe you're right, it's the only time we see him in Twilight. So yay for beach scene, unless they put him in somewhere else? I hope not
        Oh no they can't put Sam into another scene, that would suck. Plus I can't quite picture in which another scene they would put him, but of course they might also write scenes in the screenplay that are not in the book.

I think Robert Pattinson is so perfect for the role of Edward, the more I look at pictures of him, the more I see Edward. I am positive we won't be dissapointed by him or by Kristen for that matter. She looks so much like Bella, I love her look so much.
        Agreed. Now I only hope that Robert and Kristen have great chemistry together on screen and all will be well.

And ofcource Ashley Greene, she is just utterly perfect as Alice!! From the promos I saw though, they aren't giving her a completely short haircut, which I guess doesn't really matter, she still looks perfect - her face is so excuisite (sp) and she looks so tiny
        Well to be honest I would have preferred it if Alice had really short hair in the movie as well but yeah that's not the most important thing. Her face certainly looks very Alice-like.

I'm having trouble adjusting to Nikki Reed as Rosalie - I've only ever seen her on the OC and I didn't like her character. I also don't find her breathtakingly beautiful, she's beautiful but just not how I pictured Rosalie. And ofcourse, she isn't a blonde which makes it harder to imagine.... Emmett, I am ok with. I don't really know the actor but I think he could look like Emmett... he's no Tom Welling of course but he will do, I suppose
        I quite liked Nikki Reed on the O.C. but yes she wouldn't have been my first choice for Rosalie either. I can see her playing the bitchy side of Rosalie but I hope she will also give her the right amount of vulnerability.

I'm not sure I would have liked Tom Welling as Emmett. Looks-wise I guess he would have fit but I'm not sure if Tom had brought Emmett's humour across in the right way. I don't know the actor they cast for Emmett either so I will just trust the director and producers that they have made the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
          Yeah let's keep our fingers crossed that's what it was. I don't want Edward telling Bella bluntly that he is a vampire, I want her to figure it out for herself and him only confirming it, like it is in the book.
          Oh no, that would definitely be very wrong! I really loved the way she figured it out and how she realized it was already too late for her to even care what he was...

Agreed. Now I only hope that Robert and Kristen have great chemistry together on screen and all will be well.
          I am quite certain that they will have! I want to see sparks flying

I have an idea that they will, they look good together but of course that's not always enough...

I quite liked Nikki Reed on the O.C. but yes she wouldn't have been my first choice for Rosalie either. I can see her playing the bitchy side of Rosalie but I hope she will also give her the right amount of vulnerability.
          I didn't like her character so I never thought much of her... I can see the bitchy side too and who knows, she might surprise us

I'm not sure I would have liked Tom Welling as Emmett. Looks-wise I guess he would have fit but I'm not sure if Tom had brought Emmett's humour across in the right way. I don't know the actor they cast for Emmett either so I will just trust the director and producers that they have made the right choice.

I just think Tom Welling looks like Emmett but honestly, he's got the emotional range (on screen anyway) of a... well something that doesn't show much range in emotions
          I love his grin though and Emmett grins alot, doesn't he?
          I like the look of the actor who was cast though, I just don't know him from anything so it's hard to imagine....

Comment

And Elizabeth Reaser for Esme, I believe. I can see that- she's a very warm actress, but still beautiful. Oh, drat you all, I just finished reading the book, and I can't post, coz my eyes hurt from staring at a book and now a pc screen this late!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leloo View Post
              Oh no, that would definitely be very wrong! I really loved the way she figured it out and how she realized it was already too late for her to even care what he was...
              OMG. Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I think, and I didn't even realize it

*sigh* I've had a hard time coming to terms with Nikki Reed as my Rosalie, and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. She's very different from what I think of the character. I'm not talking brown hair. I've always pictured Rosalie as more refined than I've ever seen Nikki play. Nikki has this "normal girl" air to me. Not ordinary, but normal. If that makes sense. What scares me is that everyone always says that she can play the bitchy side, and I really hope that's not WHY she was cast. I've always felt there was so much more to the character. I've never seen Rosalie as bitchy, just not as readily welcoming like the rest of the Cullens. Who knows though...Nikki might just change my mind about her when the movie comes!
              would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                And Elizabeth Reaser for Esme, I believe. I can see that- she's a very warm actress, but still beautiful. Oh, drat you all, I just finished reading the book, and I can't post, coz my eyes hurt from staring at a book and now a pc screen this late!!!
                I can see that too. Out of all the characters, I think Esme is the one I'd given the least thought, look-wise that is because I feel the way she looks is less important than her personality. I think Elizabeth Reaser fits perfectly, she is beautiful and has a kind face and as you said, she seems very warm. I think she's a perfect choice

Originally posted by little albatross View Post
                OMG. Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I think, and I didn't even realize it
                *sends you brainwaves*

*sigh* I've had a hard time coming to terms with Nikki Reed as my Rosalie, and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. She's very different from what I think of the character. I'm not talking brown hair. I've always pictured Rosalie as more refined than I've ever seen Nikki play. Nikki has this "normal girl" air to me. Not ordinary, but normal. If that makes sense. What scares me is that everyone always says that she can play the bitchy side, and I really hope that's not WHY she was cast. I've always felt there was so much more to the character. I've never seen Rosalie as bitchy, just not as readily welcoming like the rest of the Cullens. Who knows though...Nikki might just change my mind about her when the movie comes!
                I agree with you that I'm sure Nikki can portray the bitchy part of Rosalie and I'm also afraid that that's why they cast her, because she kind of looks that way to me - beautifully bitchy .

I imagine Rosalie as being stunningly, breathtakingly beautiful, almost ethereal - like an angel. I don't really see her as being bitchy - she has her reasons for acting the way she does and there really is so much more to her than we see....
                I don't see Nikki Reed as any of the aforementioned things at all... she's pretty but as you said, normal. She doesn't scream Rosalie to me, not even in the slightest, but I am mostly basing my opinion on looks because I can't say I've seen Nikki in other roles than Son the OC and I didn't care much for her character so I wasn't paying much attention, to be honest...
                I am trying to warm up to her and I am hoping that by the time we see the movie, I'll be used to the idea and hopefully she will surprise us all!!

Comment

Have you guys seen this?? It's previewing at theaters near you...

I've not read the series - so I will be like a Potter Movie Fan - but it looks good! I'll go see it - it has vampires!
                  -TP<3
                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I can't wait for the movie, but I was watching one of the behind the scenes vidoes and it showed the scene in the dance studio with a big fire ( most likely burining james) and I got scared because in the clip the Cullens were dancing and growling around the fire, very primal like! This was definatley not in the books and I think it would be very out of character towards them?

Any opinion?

Comment

Based on the teaser, I think the restaurant scene is probably gone, or at least moved around. Does not the "how long have you been 17?" discussion take place on the drive home from Port Angeles? Since this is clearly not the case in the teaser, and they've reset the vampire reveal, odds are the surrounding events will change considerably. Speculation to include that perhaps Bella is not rescued from harriers in Port Angeles, but a wild animal or something on a misbegotten walk in the woods.

I just think Tom Welling looks like Emmett but honestly, he's got the emotional range (on screen anyway) of a... well something that doesn't show much range in emotions
                      ... a vampire?

I'm not in a position to really question much of the casting. I have personally found that casting beloved books reveals that all the characters are "too much" in a way that no actor can really nail. Rosalie, and even Edward, are "too" beautiful to really be fully captured by anything other than the imagination. Emmett too casually imposing, Bella too clumsy, Carlisle too measured and thoughtful. Whereas, Nikki Reed and even Robert Pattinson are plainer, Kellen smaller, Bella prettier and more assertive, Facinelli less wise than the characters they play. Certainly no actor can fully capture the sangfroid of Meyer's vampires. Cost of doing business.

What I'm willing to bet is that what the actors add with *their* imagination, and the DP adds with *his* imagination, and the director adds with *her* imagination, and the screenwriter with *her* imagination... all that imagineering is going to end up meeting the audience more than halfway on their expectations, even in Ms. Reed's case. A confident stride and some gawking freshman will sell it, and we'll all buy in.

Even if they cut the scene in which she gets the background (although how could they, if only because it also foreshadows "New Moon"?), the dialogue appears to be the same, so I assume she'll still have come to it on her own.

I can't wait for the movie, but I was watching one of the behind the scenes vidoes and it showed the scene in the dance studio with a big fire ( most likely burining james) and I got scared because in the clip the Cullens were dancing and growling around the fire, very primal like! This was definatley not in the books and I think it would be very out of character towards them?
                      Put it to the change of medium. Meyer can spend several hundred words over dozens of different pages establishing the aesthetic of the characters that sets them apart as truly other than human, a filmmaker can spend pretty much one shot to do it. And I tend to disagree anyway; I can think of several instances in the novels where the vampires seemed pretty animalistic, and a good way to interpret that visually is posture.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Firstly, thanks for this thread. I just watched the movie's trailer and the behind the scenes video. I thought *there must a twilight thread in BF*

I don't know if I can wait for 12.12.08 and hey I figured right now that the movie probably be here quite a bit later here. Anyway, I'm really excited to see it, the trailer seemed pretty mysterious(*but same old plot- just made me remember of BTVS and I thought**yet another Buffy&Angel relationship**) I don't know we'll see.

And I didn't read the book, I want to. Should I read it first or watch the movie first?

What do you think guys?
                        sigpic
                        -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

Originally posted by basakbangel View Post
                          Firstly, thanks for this thread. I just watched the movie's trailer and the behind the scenes video. I thought *there must a twilight thread in BF*

I don't know if I can wait for 12.12.08 and hey I figured right now that the movie probably be here quite a bit later here. Anyway, I'm really excited to see it, the trailer seemed pretty mysterious(*but same old plot- just made me remember of BTVS and I thought**yet another Buffy&Angel relationship**) I don't know we'll see.

And I didn't read the book, I want to. Should I read it first or watch the movie first?

What do you think guys?
                          I think you should, though who knows, sometimes when an adaptation sucks people who didn't read the books enjoy them more! *shrugs* You certainly have plenty of time to do so....

Okay, is anyone else a little annoyed (spoiler from latest MTV clip)
                          Spoiler:
                          that the vampires freaking FLY in the movie?!

I'm sorry, I know they can run really fast, but nowhere does it say they can leap up and soar like we see James doing here, it just looks lame and fake!
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Wire-jumping ain't flying. That's just Matrix-y stuff, and they weren't flying. This, again, is the sort of thing I think *helps* the movie -- trailer-ready moments. Which, incidentally... we saw exactly this type of movement in the teaser. Twice, actually.

How to get him in front of her again? Just do a zippy-blur run? Eh. This works very well. Apart from looking cool, it's more implicitly predatory -- like an owl or a hawk.
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              Wire-jumping ain't flying. That's just Matrix-y stuff, and they weren't flying. This, again, is the sort of thing I think *helps* the movie -- trailer-ready moments. Which, incidentally... we saw exactly this type of movement in the teaser. Twice, actually.

How to get him in front of her again? Just do a zippy-blur run? Eh. This works very well. Apart from looking cool, it's more implicitly predatory -- like an owl or a hawk.
                              Well I don't think vampires can jump that high in the books....looks like flying to me!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I looked up flying... it said "not that clip" Seriously, if that's flying, the Matrix roof jumps were like space shuttles.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                                  I think you should, though who knows, sometimes when an adaptation sucks people who didn't read the books enjoy them more! *shrugs* You certainly have plenty of time to do so....

Okay, is anyone else a little annoyed (spoiler from latest MTV clip)
                                  Spoiler:
                                  that the vampires freaking FLY in the movie?!

I'm sorry, I know they can run really fast, but nowhere does it say they can leap up and soar like we see James doing here, it just looks lame and fake!
                                  Ok, thanks. Now the problem is that I should find the book serie. There must be here, I'll look for it.
                                  sigpic
                                  -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

Originally posted by basakbangel View Post

What do you think guys?
                                    Well, I always tell people to READ THE BOOK!! You don't have to read it first - but please READ!! It makes me a little crazy that people won't read anymore! They want to watch a movie about the book instead! Okay - now I'm ranting. Sorry basakbangel - if you get a chance read the books.

NOW - before I get "nabbed" by my own rant - over Memorial Day weekend I read ALL 3! I started Thursday evening and finished in the wee hours of Monday morning!

I bought Twilight in paperback because that's all they had. As soon as I finished it - I went back for the other two! I LOVED LOVED LOVED them!

As for whether the vamps get "vampy" in the book - as KoC said there are several instances in which they crouch, snarl and growl. I read all those "Edward growled" and "Edward snarled" literally.

And the run/flying situation - the book doesn't really explain what Edward is doing - is he running? Is he flying? And I think they went with the more visually appealing - which is sort of flying.

Actually, unless they decide to make a movie of all 3 I would love if this one combines ALL 3 into one! (I would rather have one each but something tells me it won't happen)
                                    Spoiler:
                                    Because I just LOVE Jacob!! I cried like a baby in Eclipse!
                                    -TP<3
                                    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
                                      NOW - before I get "nabbed" by my own rant - over Memorial Day weekend I read ALL 3! I started Thursday evening and finished in the wee hours of Monday morning!
                                      Congrats! Have you checked out the book series thread yet?

And the run/flying situation - the book doesn't really explain what Edward is doing - is he running? Is he flying? And I think they went with the more visually appealing - which is sort of flying.
                                      THANK you! I think it looks like flying too....

Actually, unless they decide to make a movie of all 3 I would love if this one combines ALL 3 into one! (I would rather have one each but something tells me it won't happen)
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Because I just LOVE Jacob!! I cried like a baby in Eclipse!
                                      Well they're waiting to see how this one does in theatres (it's only based on Twilight!), but so far they definitely plan to do the other movies....when they were casting Jacob they had him read from
                                      Spoiler:
                                      the movie scene in New Moon
                                      to check for chemistry with Bella or something later on.....I'd still prefer Steven Strait for grownup!Jacob, but ah well....

And alright, it's great to have another Jacob fan around here! Sadly we are few and far between.....

Unfortunately Jacob
                                      Spoiler:
                                      won't be in this movie much, they cut him from the freaking prom scene! Which was one of my faves, the warning and everything was awesome!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                                        THANK you! I think it looks like flying too....
                                        Except for how he's obviously jumping

Well they're waiting to see how this one does in theatres (it's only based on Twilight!), but so far they definitely plan to do the other movies....when they were casting Jacob they had him read from
                                        Spoiler:
                                        the movie scene in New Moon
                                        to check for chemistry with Bella or something later on.....I'd still prefer Steven Strait for grownup!Jacob, but ah well....
                                        I am still surprised that they cast a kid that looks, in the few pictures I've seen, as scrawny as he does. It's as if they gave up on trying to be able to use one actor in the role through the movies. Or, worse, they're just going to sail right past the fact that Jacob ends up somewhere in the 6'5", 225-250 range. I have no casting ideas for the part at all, other than "someone bigger". Maybe one of the football players from "Friday Night Lights" or something... somebody linebacker-ish.

Unfortunately Jacob
                                        Spoiler:
                                        won't be in this movie much, they cut him from the freaking prom scene! Which was one of my faves, the warning and everything was awesome!
                                        That is an odd choice.
                                        Spoiler:
                                        Meyer has used the epilogue's to drive the tension and set up at least part of the central conflict of each subsequent novel. But wasn't the warning in "New Moon", where Jacob makes clear that *any* bite, *any* place breaks the treaty?
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X