Englishing vs Americanising shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Englishing vs Americanising shows

This came out of a chat topic...what would happen if you remade a UK show for an American sensibility (I mean, one that it hasn't been done to)...and vice versa? What would an English Friends be like? Or an American version of Doctor Who? Or an English version of Buffy? Or...insert whatever shows you like...and you can be serious about it or silly. Or somewhere in between...

So, imo, if they remade Absolutely Fabulous for a US audience, it would be about two women in rehab.

If they remade Red Dwarf in the US, Cat would be a hot woman and have lots of UST with Lister (cf Bones, the X-Files for the model of the relationship). Kryten would still be English however. But probably played by Stephen Fry.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Friends almost sorta got done with coupling which is the closest comparison i can think of (six friends 3 male, 3 female interfreindly romancing). Of course it's not a remake but i think it comes kind of close.

An american version of Bottom would be a must watch i think. I'd keep it pretty much the same but with less fart gags (so about ten minutes shorter.)
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
      Friends almost sorta got done with coupling which is the closest comparison i can think of (six friends 3 male, 3 female interfreindly romancing). Of course it's not a remake but i think it comes kind of close.

An american version of Bottom would be a must watch i think. I'd keep it pretty much the same but with less fart gags (so about ten minutes shorter.)
      Perhaps Farrelly brothers could be involved in some capacity?

How about Have I got News For You? Jon Stewart compering, team leaders...? Who's the American Paul Merton? Perhaps Paul Giacometti? Always feel like need bigger stars for the US versions!

Comment

Just had a look on the ever reliable and not even a little bit made up at all source of info known as Wikipedia.

Apparently Spitting Image got remade as D.C Follies which i would love to see. I'd also love to see what the remake of Never Mind the Buzzcocks is like.
        JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
        Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
          Just had a look on the ever reliable and not even a little bit made up at all source of info known as Wikipedia.

Apparently Spitting Image got remade as D.C Follies which i would love to see. I'd also love to see what the remake of Never Mind the Buzzcocks is like.
          I would LOVE to see a US Spitting Image! Imagining Clinton and Obama as punch and judy and McCain as the dog that steals the sausages!

Comment

Actually Red Dwarf has been remade in the US. Sweet from OMWF played Cat.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carousel_girl8 View Post
              Actually Red Dwarf has been remade in the US. Sweet from OMWF played Cat.
              Seriously? Actually...that's quite a good fit!

Comment

How about Bad Girls? Well, if they remade Bad Girls for the US, the characters would all be a lot more bisexual than they already are!
                "When you have an obsession you pretty much fit it into your schedule no matter what." --Cordelia

Comment

Originally posted by Ojuice5001 View Post
                  How about Bad Girls? Well, if they remade Bad Girls for the US, the characters would all be a lot more bisexual than they already are!
                  And Grange Hill would be rather more like Gossip Girl no doubt! Much more glam.

Comment

Heh. We pretended to be studying this one day when we were skiving off in media studies. It was basically us watching episodes of Trisha and Jerry Springer and verbally "comparing" them.

We also watched some awful Yank soap like Days of our Lives or something, it was diabolical. I've got to say, I think the definitions of drama and soap vary quite differently between our countries, because Grey's Anatomy is just as ridiculous as Corrie ever is. I don't know what the f*ck we'd call their soaps over here. There are no words.

Comment

Working...
                    X