I should learn to be more sociable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should learn to be more sociable.

Inspired by XavierZane's post, I decided to write an introduction post considering I've been here for a couple of months now and never got around to that. So. Hi!

My name is Marcelo, but feel free to call me whatever you like. My age is the number of Elvis Presley's US #1 hits minus one, I live in a country that had a film by Terry Gilliam named after it, I'm music-obsessed (far more than I am Buffy-obsessed, I have to say - in fact, my love for music may only be second to my love for my famiglia and el boyamigo) with a recent over-the-top obsession with jazz and blues, though I'll be the first to admit that I went through hell and back to get Madonna tickets for her upcoming concert here. The last film I watched was Blame it on Fidel and I absolutely loved it. My favourite Buffyverse character is Faith and I've been known to be, at times, a cold-blooded jelly doughnut.

Hello again!

Brazil right? Haven't seen that movie of is... almost any of his movies. Tideland was alright.

I saw Cher in concert so I can't get on you about Madonna. Besides, music or not, they both know how to put on a show.

You seem really cool and Marcelo sounds like a video game name for some reason =].

Comment

Hello!

I'm a self-described music slut, so I can relate to your music obsession. I've gotten into Blues pretty hardcore in the last couple of years, and Jazz to a lesser extent. I'm a huge fan of Miles Davis, I love the one Django Reinhardt that I have, and I like what I've heard of Coltrane. In Blues I find myself to be a purist: I only like pre-war recordings and artists or the recordings of those artists who got rediscovered because of the 1960s revival. For people like Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Mississippi John Hurt, etc the music was an organic outgrowth of their way of life. Half of the original bluesmen were blind street performers for whom the music was literally what kept them alive. Once the Blues became a genre instead of a way of life I lose all interest.

Comment

Hey here's a big delayed welcome Loved reading your posts!

Oh and kick ass avatar.. love Alias

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Hi
          Cool username
          Sin is what I feast upon
          I'm forging my crematorium
          Your tomb is waiting here for you
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Hi and welcome!
            What are you gonna do? Make me some more eggs?

Livejournal
            Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, everyone

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
              Hello!

I'm a self-described music slut, so I can relate to your music obsession. I've gotten into Blues pretty hardcore in the last couple of years, and Jazz to a lesser extent. I'm a huge fan of Miles Davis, I love the one Django Reinhardt that I have, and I like what I've heard of Coltrane. In Blues I find myself to be a purist: I only like pre-war recordings and artists or the recordings of those artists who got rediscovered because of the 1960s revival. For people like Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Mississippi John Hurt, etc the music was an organic outgrowth of their way of life. Half of the original bluesmen were blind street performers for whom the music was literally what kept them alive. Once the Blues became a genre instead of a way of life I lose all interest.
              While I do find the original bluesmen highly interesting, I have to say that I find later blues artists just as interesting. Music, like anything else, is an ever-evolving thing, and there's a lot to be admired about the blues, particularly in terms of musicianship (I mean, just listen to T-Bone Walker's guitar playing) and creativity. I have to say I have a huge soft stop for Chicago blues - the electric kind - that came long after the original Delta blues, and I'm fascinated by the creativity of those players and the evolution of blues into rockabilly. The experimentation of later bluesmen with guitar riffs and faster song tempos opened this huge number of doors for music, and I can do nothing but bow in respect. But like I said, I do agree that the pre-war blues records are fascinating.

Oh and kick ass avatar.. love Alias
              It's impossible to like Alias and not love Irina. Hence, the avatar!

Brazil right? Haven't seen that movie of is... almost any of his movies. Tideland was alright.

I saw Cher in concert so I can't get on you about Madonna. Besides, music or not, they both know how to put on a show.
              Brazil, correct!

Cher's '60s stuff isn't all bad, but I have to admit I have a problem with "Believe" and anything that came out of that era, haha. Her '80s stuff may not be exactly my cup of tea, but if anyone ever tells you they can't sing the chorus of If I Could Turn Back Time, they're lying shamelessly.

And I'm well-aware of the musical prejudice against Madonna, though I could write a pages-long essay on her artistic value and her enormous contribution to both pop music and culture. I'll hold myself back for now, though. :P
              Last edited by icecreamkiller; 30-09-08, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Buffy Forums!!
                -TP<3
                "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

That come off as I don't like Madonna? Not sure how that happened... honestly I only really know "Like A Virgin" and "4 Minutes". "Like A Virgin" might actually beat Cher's "Believe"... but I feel like I'm betraying Cher to admit that lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X