This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Banner Contest?

I was wondering when (and if) we're going to be having a new forum banner challenge? I'm getting tired of looking at the same ones (even if they all are spectacular )
    sigpic

I'm sure there will be one down the road but I'm also pretty sure that these are going to stick around for awhile.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

hmmmmm....well, there were an awful lot of entries for the last banner challenge - so yay! for lots of interest...maybe we could have a monthly challenge - or even quarterly?
      sigpic

Comment

I believe Nikki announced when doing the last challenge that we would be holding the banner challenges every 4 months as long as there was interest.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Oh that's awesome! Thanks Lyn ...so that's like what? tri-ly?
          I guess I'll be looking at the same banners for a couple more months then... But that's ok, because like I said before, they are all so stunning!
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, I was talking to a couple other people after the challenges closed and we saw that Nikki said that we'll do them every 4 months and we were kinda...surprised. We came to the conclusion that maybe we should TRY to do the banner challenges every 2 months or so. This way there are a variety of banners with the challenges and other artists can have their banners displayed on the forum. 4 months seems too long, honestly, since most people on this forum get bored with a snap of their fingers.

So maybe we should TRY every 2 months. If there's not that many banners the first time, then we'll extend the wait to 3 months, if that doesn't work, then we'll extend it to 4 and just go with 4. But I definitely think it's worth a shot to try it.

Now, of course the banners up are...BEYOND gorgeous. I'm in no way saying that I dislike these current banners and wouldn't mind seeing them up for a while. But I do think it's fair if we just TRY a shorter gap between challenges so that other people can get their moment in the greenlight. Again, if it doesn't work, then we'll extend the gap.
            wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Remember we had regular banner challenges on BW and had to stop them because of lack of interest. This first challenge had a lot of participants, well, because it was the first I think. Plus you have to consider that for this first challenge Nikki accepted every banner, regardless of quality criteria and I think she said for the next challenges the old BW banner standards will be in place again for the challenge. Which will automatically lead to less banners that will actually be up for voting.

The problem is, people may fast get bored with looking at the banners, but as the experience with BW shows, artists soon get bored with making new forum banners every 2-3 months as well, so in the end it really wasn't worth the bother anymore.

Comment

Yes, that's very true. But I also think that the banner challenges began to lose interest because we were doing it monthly AND because of the forum's issues that arose during that time. We never tried doing it every 2 months and we never got a chance to do it every 3 months.

We don't know if things'll be different with the participation unless we try again. It won't hurt anybody. Worse case scenario, we have less banners than prefered. Big whoop. We'll know better for next time.

I just think assuming that participation will be very limited with the challenges is too rash. There are more artistic and active members here than at BW. The fanart forum is always getting posted in, unlike at BW when it began to die off.

Ideas that might keep things afloat with doing the banner challenges every two months or so:

-Keep it open for like two weeks. That way people have more time to make entries.
                -Advertise it more.
                -Change the criteria so it's not too picky but still will weed out the better banners.

I definitely believe that we need to try it at a regular pace and if that doesn't work, then go back to 4 months. It doesn't hurt anybody (except maybe the people whose banners don't fit the criteria... ).

Comment

Well, one thing is, on BW we only had banner challenges for the default banner, all other sections were devoted to different shows and were never changed again after the banners were set up. Personally I think doing banner challenges for all 5 styles at once is futile, since you won't have enough banner entries for every style, plus it's a lot of organising for Nikki, setting up the different polls for the different styles. So maybe a banner challenge every 2 months for one particular style would be an acceptable alternative.

I am not really sure that we have more fanartists on BF than we had on BW honestly. It was my impression that it was mainly the BW fanartist community that actually moved here first, since running challenges and battles was such a pain with the BW downtime. But well, could be a wrong impression.

Anyways, after all it's Nikki's decision. I am fine with either solution

Comment

Four months doesn't seem terribly long to me; time passes so fast. I guess there isn't anything wrong with trying it out but you also have to keep in consideration that with each banner change, Nikki needs to tweak all the individual templates, not to mention setting up the polls. I know it doesn't seem like much but if it were me I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

I think a good idea might just be to have a banner thread in the fanart forum and then people can post them whenever they want and when there is a good amount of choices, then we can have a poll. It doesn't have to be a set period of time. And if a lot of banners get posted then we can just stop the submissions until it's time for a change. Could work. Maybe not though.

EDIT:
                    Originally posted by galathea View Post
                    Personally I think doing banner challenges for all 5 styles at once is futile, since you won't have enough banner entries for every style,
                    Excellent point! Maybe a contest every two months for a different style is a great idea!
                    sigpic
                    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
                      Well, one thing is, on BW we only had banner challenges for the default banner, all other sections were devoted to different shows and were never changed again after the banners were set up. Personally I think doing banner challenges for all 5 styles at once is futile, since you won't have enough banner entries for every style, plus it's a lot of organising for Nikki, setting up the different polls for the different styles. So maybe a banner challenge every 2 months for one particular style would be an acceptable alternative.

I am not really sure that we have more fanartists on BF than we had on BW honestly. It was my impression that it was mainly the BW fanartist community that actually moved here first, since running challenges and battles was such a pain with the BW downtime. But well, could be a wrong impression.

Anyways, after all it's Nikki's decision. I am fine with either solution
                      Oh yes, I agree. I just thought of that, too. Doing challenges for all 5 at once is too crazy. And we wouldn't have many banners for all of them. Yes I definitely agree.

But maybe if we did it like you said where we alternate every two months. Then the banners would technically be up for a while and whatnot. Like, maybe the default and another style set are open for new banners, we vote, and the winners go up. Two months later, another challenge opens for the last three styles. Two months after that, the cycle starts over.

This way, the banners are technically up for roughly 4 months each but there's a different challenge every 2 months. So people can have something to keep them busy. I know that that's why I do the banner challenges: it's something to keep me busy and keep my muse working.

And we do have other fanart mods who can take care of running the challenges with Nikki's assistance. *Shrugs*

But yes, it is Nikki's decision in the long run.

Comment

I like the idea of having the challenges every two months for different style sets...and I do remember on BW we had set shows for each style set...perhaps that's something that could be incorporated here? Maybe we could set say the 'green' style for Supernatural and the 'default' for Buffy and have a challenge, then 2 months later set the 'blue' for Smallville and 'black' for Angel or something (not necessarily those exact shows and whatnot, but you get the idea)
                        sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to mention how it is the middle of summer hiatus and the forums are always lacking a lot of activity. Take a look at how few entries the regular challenges are receiving. I do not see a reason to start up another challenge so soon. October will be here before we can blink.

Besides, the people that won the last challenge deserve the recognition and honor of staying up there for a couple months. Knowing that your banner may be up there for several months makes it more valuable to enter and win.

I do think it would be a good idea to stagger the different style banner challenges and maybe consider setting some as specific shows. I like the specific show designation as it does make the forum more comfy for those that come here because of new show discussion and not just Buffyverse discussion.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                            I just wanted to mention how it is the middle of summer hiatus and the forums are always lacking a lot of activity. Take a look at how few entries the regular challenges are receiving. I do not see a reason to start up another challenge so soon. October will be here before we can blink.
                            That's a good point but it's not always the lack of interest in fanart that is the problem with a lack of entries. The fanart section has been "popping" ( ) with activity and fanart battles are being started.

And whoa...October? That's when the next one is? Wow. So it's only been a month? Are you serious?

Originally posted by Ehlwyen
                            I do think it would be a good idea to stagger the different style banner challenges and maybe consider setting some as specific shows. I like the specific show designation as it does make the forum more comfy for those that come here because of new show discussion and not just Buffyverse discussion.
                            Well, if we're waiting 4 months between challenges I don't think we should stagger the styles. That'll just mean an even longer wait. But I do think we should pick specific shows for specific style sets. Though there are two issues with that:

1. How is it decided which show goes to which style set?

2. That might limit entries, too, seeing as some people might not be happy with the shows picked and won't enter.

I remember talking to Nikki about the first issue but I don't recall a general solution being created. But maybe a poll would work? And maybe we'll need to add another style set for like an "Other Shows" banner? Default would be Buffyverse, Black could be Angel, Green could be Supernatural, Blue could be Smallville, Chestnut could be Heroes. Maybe we should bring in another style set for Other Shows - the shows that are also watched by members (IE: VM, Lost, GA, etc...).

But another question has been raised in my head: how were the challenges originally intended with the 4 month gap? Were all the style sets to be up for new banners after 4 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                              That's a good point but it's not always the lack of interest in fanart that is the problem with a lack of entries. The fanart section has been "popping" ( ) with activity and fanart battles are being started.
                              True. Though as a fanartist I've found I can get stressed when there are too many challenges. I'd like to enter each and every one. Many times that stress leads me to not get any entries done.

And whoa...October? That's when the next one is? Wow. So it's only been a month? Are you serious?
                              It better come quick, SN doesn't start till then!

But another question has been raised in my head: how were the challenges originally intended with the 4 month gap? Were all the style sets to be up for new banners after 4 months?
                              Nothing was actually set. The main thing was to get the forums looking nice with banners so it didn't appear so lonely here. We wanted to get something up quickly and then have a few months to sort out everything around here. Right now I think Nikki's biggest project is getting the introductory Buffyforums page up with transcripts and other stuff rather than just the place holder that's there right now.

But you bring up a lot of good ideas and suggestions about the different style sets that I'll want to consider more when I'm not sneaking at work.

200 posts, woot!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                                Well, if we're waiting 4 months between challenges I don't think we should stagger the styles. That'll just mean an even longer wait. But I do think we should pick specific shows for specific style sets. Though there are two issues with that:

1. How is it decided which show goes to which style set?

2. That might limit entries, too, seeing as some people might not be happy with the shows picked and won't enter.

I remember talking to Nikki about the first issue but I don't recall a general solution being created. But maybe a poll would work? And maybe we'll need to add another style set for like an "Other Shows" banner? Default would be Buffyverse, Black could be Angel, Green could be Supernatural, Blue could be Smallville, Chestnut could be Heroes. Maybe we should bring in another style set for Other Shows - the shows that are also watched by members (IE: VM, Lost, GA, etc...).
                                See, I don't think we should 'set' specific style sets for particular shows, but that that should rotate as well...like it could be how Heather stated for the first set of challenges, but then the next time around the colors change to different shows...I know there are some style sets I won't post in no matter which show is attached to it, and if my favorite show is always set for that particular color....

I don't know...maybe it is better just to let the challenges be open to whatever people's muses come up with, but to just rotate the style set challenges...
                                sigpic

Comment

Ok my two cents quickly before work.

I know from past experience that while 20 members say they will make a banner for the challenge about 5 of them come through, so the fact that there what 5 people here saying they'll make a banner doesn't leave me with high hopes of many entries at the moment

I don't like the idea of seperate shows for each style, I know it worked on BW, but as Buffy is over, even though this is Buffy Forums I like the idea of being able to have different shows on one banner. I think that's why the banners Chris made did so well because they had something for everyone on each style.

Running a contest is a lot of work, the coding is a lot of work on all the styles because it's not coding like our websites have.

I am happy to go with the idea of running a challenge every 2 months for a different style and in 1 month from now I will open a challenge for Black Style as I think alphabetical is the easier way for me to do this!

But I am putting in full disclaimers that if we don't get many entries I will go back to a longer wait between banners.. isn't it better you look at the same great banner for months than less than good banners for shorter periods?!

Comment

Can I just add two cents too? (Or maybe just one...)
                                    As a non-fanartist, I LOVE the banner challenges. For me they represent two things, namely, a tiny way to be involved in a community that I otherwise am not a part of, and secondly, a way to be more a part of BuffyForums, that is, have a say in the goings on here. It's a nice thing for all members to have equal chances to be involved in one small part of the community, regardless of whether they're VIP, a top fanartist with heaps of cred, or a relatively new member who may be new to fandom. In short, I have always loved the challenges, and always made a point of voting.
                                    Remember how we used to have that sort of 'news' type thread at BW? It kinda died, but maybe something like that is a nice way to get people into the goings on of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                                      Remember how we used to have that sort of 'news' type thread at BW? It kinda died, but maybe something like that is a nice way to get people into the goings on of the forum?
                                      I am working on a main page for this site that will house all the news so that will solve that one.

Comment

I know it worked on BW, but as Buffy is over, even though this is Buffy Forums I like the idea of being able to have different shows on one banner.
                                        Is not.

But, still cool to have different shows represented since we support them, but I still like a bit of Buffy-centrism
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X