Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to see from 'Dollhouse?'

Hey

Whoopie! Looks like Nikki's made a 'Dollhouse' section.. I'm very excited Well since there's no new episode to discuss for another four weeks at least, I thought we might start a thread discussing what we'd like to see in the show and what we hope to get out of it?

Just for inspiration I'd thought I'd link to the new trailer that just aired on Fox over the past week;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83_0ppup7VI

So what do you guys hope happens in the show and what kinda themes or feelings are you hoping to get out of it? Do you think it'll live up to people's expectations? are you worried about the show? Do you not like what you've seen or heard, do you love what you know of it? ect.

Vamps

~ Banner by Nina ~

First of all, I?m super excited for this and a little scared because I have no idea when Dollhouse will air in Portugal. It can be a simultaneous release, it could some months later or never! So, I?m a little scared.

About the show, I?m expecting good character work, great dialogue and great action. Maybe seeing the actors transform themselves completely and take risks.

Comment

I'm a bit sceptic, the idea is amazing and I hope that we will have many ethical dilemmas and great storylines. And I think that the first episodes will be great. But I'm not sure how long the concept will work without becoming a bit tiresome.

And my biggest fear is that Eliza can't carry the show, Tru Calling didn't really showed me that she could do it, she was fine in it but she never showed me that she could handle Echo. Because I've the feeling that the role of Echo is much harder to play.

But I will wait and see, maybe I'm really wrong.

Comment

I’ve no idea what the show will be like in terms of quality – though I read one review that said it was “more like angel and firefly than Buffy”, so perhaps it won’t be as much my cup of tea.

But in terms of things I’d like to see…

1) Humour. Humour is what brought me to Buffy, and it’s what I loved best about the other shows, too. Let’s see Whedon unleash his funny muscles. Erm. That sounds gross.
        2) Strong, unique characters – I want to get to know these people, not just as people in a particular situation, but as individuals. No one just going through the motions (eg standard fbi guy, standard icy doctor bitch).
        3) Not too pious – having rewatched some of the West Wing recently I am very off over-preachy shows. So, I want them to handle the ethical dilemmas of this show in a neutral way, not trying to get us to believe something. NO SPEECHES PLEASE. Please? Just no.
        4) Lots of fun scenarios to explore with the actives – this could be like Alias only much better. This is where the humour could really shine if they do it right.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Okay, this is the one thing I'm asking Joss....

Don't make Eliza's character, Echo, too different. If she literally plays a different character each week, then I won't like this. Not at all. I like strong characters with great personalities and deep pasts. If Echo is different every week, we won't get to see the progression of her character. It'll take away the reason why I love television more than film: character progression. Usually, you get to watch a character grow and learn to love them. If that doesn't have Dollhouse going for it, then I don't know if I can ever truly like it.

Comment

What I want to see with this show? Mostly, I want to see it get a fair chance from the networks to actually become what it can become, because even for the pilot, the first five eps, the first season- it's not all a show can do, and I'm looking forward to getting to know something amazing.

And I think it will be amazing, and I think Eliza Dushku can absolutely pull it off.

What I'd like to see? Follow through in terms of story arc. Not an episode a week kind of thing, I really hope they handle a longer kind of arc, and I'm sure they will.

Comment

Echo will be different characters not only once a week, but probably two or three times a week. But the actual "Echo" will also be in every episode, the Active who is starting to retain self-awareness.

I don't know how the show will do on humor. On one hand, the original presentation had a very, very funny moment ("It's the happiest day of my life!")... that that episode doesn't exist anymore. And Joss said this is the darkest thing he's ever worked on.

Did you guys see the spot that aired during "American Idol"?

"Dollhouse" commercial
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

OOoo... Thanks for that KOC! Hadn't seen the commercial - sure makes it seem like a show to watch!

I am intrigued by the fact she will be different people each episode. I can't imagine a more challenging role for an actress than to pull off a different character each week while still evolving the one character - Echo.

Humor will be great - unexpected and inappropriate - that's what Joss does best. So I imagine at strange and interesting times a nugget of comedy will work its way into the dialogue!

ACTION! Hopefully we'll get lots of action out of Eliza! She has always been an "action" kind of girl!

But MOSTLY what I hope to see our this show...

A special guest star appearance of JAMES MARSTERS!!!
                -TP<3
                "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                  What I want to see with this show? Mostly, I want to see it get a fair chance from the networks to actually become what it can become, because even for the pilot, the first five eps, the first season- it's not all a show can do, and I'm looking forward to getting to know something amazing.
                  Couldn't agree more. It makes me really appreciate how lucky we were that both Btvs and Ats were allowed that time to grow into something. Neither series had a brilliant first season by any means, but Joss was right in saying you earn all the fun stuff you can do later in a series when you lay the basic foundations down early on... I just hope 'Dollhouse' gets that chance.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  Did you guys see the spot that aired during "American Idol"?

"Dollhouse" commercial
                  Haha, I linked it in my opening post for the thread!

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

What I'm happiest about is that Amy Acker has signed on (best Jossverse actor) so as long as her screen time is ample I'm happy.

Comment

Looking through some of the promo-stuff I think the concept looks a bit more exciting to me now than it did.

I really think the other characters are going to provide massive amounts to this show, which I should have realised really - but most of the focus has been of Echo.

It's a tricky concept to fly with - a character who blank. If Joss can make her awakening real, then I think it will play out well, if he can work in her back story then even better. If he can confuse the situation so that Echo has to work out if the memories that are returning are hers....or the personalities that have been given then this could lead anywhere - great mystery ahoy, leading to a great reveal or personal twist at the end of the season then even better!

Also - what if the personalities that have been downloaded are not constructs but actual
                      people's memories somehow stolen or retrieved, either from the dead...or the living? That could lead somewhere interesting too......

That's what I'm hoping to see - with a backdrop of kicking things or a spot of looking at morality.
                      A Bear! You made a Bear! Undo IT!!!

Comment

I've ben following Dollhouse ever it since it was mentioned, and i have to say, it's starting to look pretty damn excellent!!!!

The new commercial was fantastic as well, but there is one thing I'm worried about.

This sounds like a great show, and i know Joss can do a lot with it, but where can the overall series plot go? I mean, how long do they plan on stretching out the show until Echo finds out who she is? We'll see very soon, but I'm about wary of how long they can stretch out the show without incorprating some other big plotlines we're unaware of.

Other than that I'm ecstatic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I hope to see greatness from Eliza, and me personally, not that it would happen, but a special appearance from David!!! Eliza and David are close, so I'd love that. They are so cute together.

But Eliza is gold and she touches gold with her hands, so I love her...

Comment

It's a FOX show, so perhaps we could get an appearance of David as Booth. Hell, I have no problem with them doing a little crossover there. Nothing about the "Bones"-verse contradicts "Dollhouse".
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

It's a FOX show, so perhaps we could get an appearance of David as Booth. Hell, I have no problem with them doing a little crossover there. Nothing about the "Bones"-verse contradicts "Dollhouse".
                              Sounds like a plan to me. David and Eliza have been great. And it would be fabulous to see some Angel/Buffy Alumni. Maybe they could solve some piece together and kick some butt!

Comment

I love that stuff. That'd be brilliant, yup.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post

And I think it will be amazing, and I think Eliza Dushku can absolutely pull it off.

What I'd like to see? Follow through in terms of story arc. Not an episode a week kind of thing, I really hope they handle a longer kind of arc, and I'm sure they will.
                                  I couldn't have said it better myself! What *scares* me most is that it's a fox show and they don't have an great track record for letting shows develop their audience. I *don't* want to be disappointed by a premature cancellation!
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                                    I’ve no idea what the show will be like in terms of quality – though I read one review that said it was “more like angel and firefly than Buffy”, so perhaps it won’t be as much my cup of tea.

But in terms of things I’d like to see…

1) Humour. Humour is what brought me to Buffy, and it’s what I loved best about the other shows, too. Let’s see Whedon unleash his funny muscles. Erm. That sounds gross.
                                    2) Strong, unique characters – I want to get to know these people, not just as people in a particular situation, but as individuals. No one just going through the motions (eg standard fbi guy, standard icy doctor bitch).
                                    3) Not too pious – having rewatched some of the West Wing recently I am very off over-preachy shows. So, I want them to handle the ethical dilemmas of this show in a neutral way, not trying to get us to believe something. NO SPEECHES PLEASE. Please? Just no.
                                    4) Lots of fun scenarios to explore with the actives – this could be like Alias only much better. This is where the humour could really shine if they do it right.
                                    I agree. Humor is what I most want out of it. I think the scifi premise is cool and interesting already. What I need is a reason to love the characters and show. And humor is the best way to attach my feelings.

All three shows had humor so I'm hoping that passes along. The scifi makes you feel disconnected since it isn't truly of the world we know. The lack of humor in Fringe is why I lost interest in the week to week watching of it. I'll be waiting for dvd on it. So I really hoping for humor in Dollhouse.

That's interesting to hear that it will be more like Angel and Firefly. I believe this will fit my idea of the show more if it is more focused on the individual fighting authority and trying to live their own life without interference. Which feel to be the main themes of Angel and Firefly to me. Buffy obviously had some currents of that but Buffy was more based on family interrelations. Which if many characters in Dollhouse are getting mind wiped, that would be hard to sustain long term relationships.

Buffy was new big bad each year, while Angel was about uncovering more about the mystery of W&H each year. So that's probably another reason Dollhouse is put in association with Angel.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Never really thought about that. I guess it could work, but I like things to stay in their own seperate little Jossverse if possible.

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
                                      Sounds like a plan to me. David and Eliza have been great. And it would be fabulous to see some Angel/Buffy Alumni. Maybe they could solve some piece together and kick some butt!
                                      Okay, well now I can't argue with that at all! I'm all for having some old Buffy and Angel alumni back together! Maybe we could even have both supergirls working for Joss!

Comment

Where did you hear that the show will be more like Angel or Firefly? I?m really out of the loop here.
                                        I was thinking about the Friday night slot and I now think that Dollhouse will hit it off. A lot of people wanna see this, Joss fans and non-Joss fans. So, I?m thinking the pilot will attract many viewers.

About the show, I?m curious to see Eliza and Amy here. I have to say that I?ve never heard of Dichen Lachman, though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X