Server Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Move

As you all might have seen from the announcements the forum has been exceeding my maximum useage on my current server. We are going to be moving to a new dedicated server this week. It will either be Tuesday or Wednesday but I will confirm this so everyone can expect some downtime while that happens.

As a result of this my costs for maintaining the forum have rocketed and I am asking any member who can to donate. You can do that here.

If you have any questions about the server move then please ask below

So, Nikki, if I follow the donate button to the paypal page, do we need to have a paypal account or can we just pay with a credit card on that page.

I only ask because I do not have a paypal account and am not intending to set up one up (as I have actually tried in the past) and I suspect other members may be in the same boat and would still like to help, if possible.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I am pretty sure you would need a Paypal account. But I'm happy to accept other ways. I can either PM people my account number to transfer direct or my address if people want to mail me a cheque/cash. I'm really hoping that a lot of people send a small amount, it will really make a difference

Let me know what's easier for you.

Comment

You can also just use credit card Jenni Lou
        On that same page, you can just fill in the cc information.

I hope many members will donate, dedicated hosting is expensive!

However, I've seen that paypal takes quite a charge if the donation is below 4 euro/ 3 pound.
        Some people have donated on SP a couple of times and gave 2, 3 or 5 euro each time. And even though every little bit helps, it's more clever/benefitial for them to give 10 to 15 euro's at once, so paypal only charges once, and less in %

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Rosely! It seemed as if it may be that way from the paypal donate page. And that's great news for everyone who doesn't have a paypal account; we can use credit cards instead!

I will try and send in something soon. I have to use my fiance's card because I don't have one. (And I like it that way! Credit/debit cards can get you in trouble! )
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Thanks Rosely, you are knowledge girl on all this!

Thanks also Jenni Lou, I really appreciate it

Comment

Hey Niks -

If someone - say in the States - wants to send you some cold hard cash - would you PM them an address?? And would you be able to exchange?
              -TP<3
              "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
              - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Yep I'm happy for people to mail me cash. It's best to enclose it in some kind of card so it's not clear what it is to the postmen!

I can exchange it here for no fee so it's easy for me

If you want I'll PM you my address. It's all so appreciated I can't tell you

Comment

What kind of a percentage does Paypal take? Is sending cash/check better? Or is there a perk to Paypal for like tax purposes? (I really have no idea about such stuff.) I'd be happy to help; I just want to figure out which way actually gets you the most forum fundage for the least hassle.
                  "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Well Paypal do take a bit, not too much and it's easier for me in terms of it's directly there in my account, whereas cash I have to go change and then pay it in. But either are fine. Remember if you post cash you have to then pay for the postage to the UK which is probably more than the cut Paypal take.

Comment

That's cool you'll take donations by mail Nikki.

And some random info on Paypal since I've used it a lot over the years and found it a useful service. Paypal's cut isn't crazy high. And considering the quickness and safeness, it's a good way to send money.

Paypal rates will run 3-5% of the amount sent depending on the method you send the money. (Credit cards will have the larger fee, while bank account transfers are lower). Then there may be another couple percent for the currency to be transfered.

And like Rosely mentioned, there's a $0.30 cent fee per each time you send money. Which isn't huge so if you want to send a little now and a little later then it won't make a big difference in the amount Nikki will receive.

I guess for a $10 donation, paypal on average would only cut about $1 which is cheaper than postage and a card to send something from the US.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Yeah - but if I send Cash to the UK then I have to send a card and note to Nikki - which would be - FUN!! (Well worth the postage!)
                        -TP<3
                        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                        - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I would love to donate but the problem is I don't have a pay pal account.

Trish

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
                            Yeah - but if I send Cash to the UK then I have to send a card and note to Nikki - which would be - FUN!! (Well worth the postage!)
                            So you want me to PM you my address?

Originally posted by BangelFan2202 View Post
                            I would love to donate but the problem is I don't have a pay pal account.

Trish
                            You can donate with a credit card through Paypal or I can send you my address and you can post cash

Comment

How about debit card? Will that work too?
                              sigpic
                              Go ahead, call it a coccoon crash

Comment

Sure. As long as your debit card as a credit card logo like MasterCard or Visa. It will work the same way.
                                sigpic

Comment

Nikki, I could probably mail you a little something. Could you pm me your mailing address please so I can mail it? This would be fun...I can mail Nikki a cute card!!!!

Comment

Done and thank you

Comment

*has addled brain in the morning* So, to be clear here - for us in the US, we do NOT need a pay pay account, but we can use a credit card anyway? And they take a fee for the processing? So, I could just increase my donation by that amount, so you end up with what I wanted you to have?

Is that the way this works? BF is such a huge part of my life, I can't NOT donate to keep it going! And thanks, Nikki, for everything!
                                      sigpic

Comment

Yep you can go to the paypal website via my donate link and just enter your credit card number and amount as if you were shopping online

If you donate $10 I will get $9.20 or around there.

Many thanks for donating

Comment

Working...
                                        X