Buffy the Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy the Movie

So the remake seems to be happening. Many people on this forum only love the tv series, but the movie did start it all. Did you see movie or the series first? Is twenty years long enough to wait to remake a movie? Are you optimistic or dead set against anything that isn't SMG as Buffy?

I'd love to have an idea of how the community generally feels about the prospect of a movie remake!
    Loved the first movie
    11.76%
    Hated the first movie
    21.57%
    Looking forward to a remake
    7.84%
    Holding judgment on the remake
    19.61%
    Rather stake yourself than see a remake
    5.88%
    Excited that a movie might expose more people to the tv series
    7.84%
    Afraid that the movie will damage the series reputation
    19.61%
    Other (below)
    5.88%

Lydia made the punch!

...I have to confess that I've never seen the original movie! The prospect of a remake leaves me very wary indeed, but I daresay if it really does come off, it will stand or fall by its own merits, like all remakes.

Comment

I actually think the first movie was dreadfully awful (not even in a cheesy good "bad movie" way). So the remake could very well be better, but not sure I'm interested in a movie just about Buffy but with none of the other characters I love so much....unless the actress were say, Candice Accola, who would make a perfect Buffy I feel and is someone I'd go to a movie to see/watch.

Though lol, well twenty years is still better than the recent trend of remaking movies within two years or so of coming out!
      Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I think the first movie was just great, campy fun. I loved it when it came out and I can still enjoy it. It's not the same "Buffy" as the show, but I never needed it to be. I can still see the Joss touches in it (which I don't think Kristy Swanson ever gets enough credit for bringing out in various, very TV-Buffy worthy moments like quiet conversations with Pike and Merrick).

I enjoyed it enough that I was actually initially pretty resistant to the show because my instinctive reaction was "oh look, cheap cash in on cult classic".

For the reboot... I'm actually psyched. I've spent so much time in scifi/fantasy movie geekdom and comic reading and everything, I guess the whole "it's not Joss' canon" aspect of it just rolls right off me. The Joss/canon angle of it actually has been making me rub my eyes in confusion since the reboot story came up, because it's not as though Joss has been getting a lot of universal love and acknowledgment for his own work with the characters lately. I always liked Marvel's "What If..." comics and such, so I am really curious to see another take on the Buffyverse.

It doesn't hurt my optimism that Warner seems to be pretty serious about it. Grabbing people out of Christopher Nolan's movie-making team to produce is a seriously good first step. Interviews with the writer have me confident she can capture some of the emotional core of "Buffy" that we all love within the constraints of a new imagining of her character and backstory. And, I love me some casting chat -- my current #1, no questions choice for the role would be Dianna Agron of "Glee" and "Heroes" fame.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well well well. Apparently I'm the only person that would rather stake myself than see a remake. Don't worry kids, I'll take one for the team. Seriously, the last thing I want to see is a remake. I'm so sick and tired of Hollywood already not being able to come up with an original idea for ANYTHING let alone have them try and butcher something that I already love and adore. Remaking Buffy for me is like trying to remake Clueless or Porky's or Death Becomes Her. Just no dammit. Stop ruining the things I like and don't think about touching the things I love! Horrible idea.

As for the first question, the original Buffy movie, LOVE IT!!! Loved it when I was a kid obsessed with vampires, every year I went as a vamp for Halloween besides the one year I went as the pink Power Ranger, and I still love it as a grown adult. Cheese and ridiculousness. Two things I usually enjoy. This situation was no different. Favorite part of the entire Buffy movie (besides the death of Amilyn of course ):

Amilyn: "Vampires can do anything"
          Buffy: "Oh yeah? Clap."

Hehe, it's funny because he has one arm in case you never bothered to watch the movie.
          T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Well, if it's any reassurance, I don't think Warner Bros is actually "remaking" the 1992 movie. My understanding is that their movie is going to basically be off a clean sheet of paper, and they just obtain the rights to make it through the sequel rights to the 1992 movie. I'm pretty sure that it's not being made as an origin story as such, but it could pretty much reinvent Buffy's origin and not even have much to do with the original movie.

Like, they can use Pike and Amilyn and Merrick and Lothos and Benny and any other characters that were in that screenplay, but they can't use any characters or ideas unique to the TV show. But they don't have to use any of those, either.

I have my own sort of mental picture of what a new "Buffy" concept would look like -- I hope they go with a more urban setting, for one, and that the idea of a slightly older, college-aged Buffy is something they are sticking with. And I just really want them to do something great with the casting and directing for it. I wasn't kidding about Dianna Agron being pretty close to perfect for a new Buffy.

I'm going to be very curious how well Sucker Punch does next month -- if it can come even halfway up to the box office that "300" (same director, same month) did, maybe Zac Snyder ends up directing "Buffy" which... really would be fine by me.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

I didn't like the original. I hated it. As for the remake- at first I was dead set against it. Now I'm iffy. I just don't want any ties to the TV series. So as long as Giles, Willow, Xanderl, Angel, etc are not in it- that's all that matters to me. And from what King said- looks like I have nothing to worry about. So if they cast good actors, create a good story/plot- maybe it'll be okay. Though I agree with Holypot- no one has a original idea these days. There are too many remakes.
              Banner by Digital Leonardo

Comment

I didn't like the original movie. I think I've only seen it once or twice (after having seen the show), but I couldn't stand it.

As for the remake.. I'd rather stake myself. The only way of bringing Buffy back would be to have Joss Whedon, Sarah Michelle Gellar and the rest of the cast and crew - otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Joss did have a chance of being part of the remake, but did you really expect him to say yes? He created a masterpiece, so I'm not surprised he said no to remaking that masterpiece just eight years later. And that's the other thing, the show ended eight years ago - why are they remaking it!? It's still so young!

The other question I keeep asking is: who are they making this movie for? The majority of Buffy fans are against it. Those who have never seen the show probably wouldn't give it a second glance. So, who's left? Why can't they see that the chance of this movie being successful is very small.
                Moss: Four! Five! I mean Fire!
                Tosh: Because you're breaking my heart.

Comment

I've got no problem seeing where the audience for a "Buffy" feature film is, even if its pretty harsh and cynical. And I think Warner is completely indifferent to whether or not they have the "people who liked Joss' 'Buffy' TV series enough that they talk about it on the internet" go to see it or not (even though I'll be there with bells on). It's... "movies for young adults that like pop/rock/techno/whatever music that will be on the soundtrack", and "people who will see any action movie" and "people who will see any vampire movie" and "people who will see any horror movie" and "people who will see any young adult drama/comedy". The goal from their end is to grab enough out of each segment that they make lots of money.

That their sequel right gives them "people who may have enjoyed either the 'Buffy' movie or 'Buffy' show but don't really get into it enough to care if it's the same person making it" as a demographic, as well -- which, incidentally, is probably most of the 4 million or so people tuning in "Buffy" on a week to week basis when it was on.

That all sounds pretty horrible, but the good news is they also got a screenwriter who is... one of those very-into-the-series, gets-what-Joss-wanted-"Buffy"-to-be-about people who, while she's tasked with basically reinventing it in a way that isn't even allowed to draw on the show, is also not going run out there trying to make "Dead or Alive" or "Bloodrayne".

I'm all about the bright side here -- if you've got a full blooded "Buffy" fan doing the writing, but have a team of great movie makers, you basically end up with the greatest AU fic of all time, and one that will (as Emmie proposed way back on Whedonesque) lets "Buffy" take a step forward into being "Bond" or "Batman" -- an intergenerational cultural hook.

My hope is that this movie manages to be, visually, kind of "Sucker Punch" and, tonally, something like "Scott Pilgrim vs. the Vampires"
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

I'm sure the Buffy remake could be ok, but it was the characters of the show that I fell in love with. The premise is cool, yes, but it was the interactions between Buffy/Giles/Willow/Xander that I initially wanted to see more of, so if the movie doesn't have all those characters, I don't know that I'd pay money to see it.
                    Also, if someone like Paris Hilton was cast as Buffy, I'd boycott on principle/

Comment

Working...
                    X