Vampires are the new black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampires are the new black

Vampires are everywhere these days! And while Joss may not have created vampires, we are all here because we loved BtVS or Angel to some degree.

So rank your top 5 vampires, vampire/vampire or vampire/human couples, or vampire shows! Or let us know what you think about vampires becoming so mainstream.

In the poll, I listed some recently popular Vampire fandoms. I'm sure there are more. Plus feel free to talk about older vampire stories like Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, etc.
    BtVS
    21.74%
    Angel
    20.00%
    True Blood tv show
    9.57%
    True Blood books
    5.22%
    Vampire Diaries tv show
    9.57%
    Vampire Diaries books
    0.87%
    Twilight Series movies
    3.48%
    Twilight Series books
    6.96%
    Moonlight
    7.83%
    Being Human UK
    7.83%
    Being Human US
    2.61%
    Other (list below)
    4.35%

Lydia made the punch!

For other: loved the creepy Scandinavian film/novel Let the Right One In. Thought that was a very interesting take on vampires. It's hard to discuss it without major spoilers right away, so I'll just say it's a lot of fun. And rather heavy on the gore.
    "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
    -John Green

Comment

Vampires as a genre tend not to be a big draw for me - they weren't what pulled me into Buffyverse and they aren't enough to pull me into other shows.

The only other 'vampire show' I watch is Being Human - the real one, that is

Comment

Lol, I actually don't really care for the vampire mythology in BTVS/ATS at all, for the most part--they're just cheesy and dumb and boring, no depth except for a select few (who are interesting--Angel, Spike, Darla, Dru....yeah, that's mostly it). I don't like it when things are just pure black and white and there's zero complexity, I find that boring.

I think my favorite mythology is that of Moonlight--I liked the secret hidden vampire society, that vampires more or less keep their personality and can choose to be good or act evil, and I think it's a good mix of strengths and weaknesses--they can go out into daylight, but not extensively (and will weaken to the point of death if out exposed in the sun for too long), a stake paralyzes them, fire does kill them, etc. *insert obligatory lamenting of the too early demise of this show*

My second favorite vampire mythology is perhaps that of TVD, I like the way becoming a vampire is a two-step process that morally implicates the person being turned, so that they can't be wholly a victim at first as in other mythologies. And I also like that they can be bad or good as they will, like humans, and that they have weaknesses but with certain aids can go out into daylight and such.

With Being Human UK I like the vampires on the show, and their society and such, the only downside is the absurd thing where they don't actually need to drink any blood to survive, lol....which doesn't make any sense. (Basically I think it's supposed to be all three are a metaphor for human problems--addiction, anger management, low self-confidence--all turned into supernatural states, which is why the vampire mythology doesn't wholly make sense).

Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post
        For other: loved the creepy Scandinavian film/novel Let the Right One In. Thought that was a very interesting take on vampires. It's hard to discuss it without major spoilers right away, so I'll just say it's a lot of fun. And rather heavy on the gore.
        Oooh that was another good one!
        Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post
          Vampires as a genre tend not to be a big draw for me - they weren't what pulled me into Buffyverse and they aren't enough to pull me into other shows.

The only other 'vampire show' I watch is Being Human - the real one, that is
          I'm about the same. Never been into vampires that much. I was more drawn to the zipping dialogue, the depth ad the immense charm of Buffy rather than seeking it out for the fanginess.

But yes, I too find myself drawn into Being Human(uk) for pretty much the same reasons.
          JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
          Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I love me some vampires.

I think some old school shows need some love! The most layered vampire mythology I've ever run into was "Kindred: The Embraced" (although it's almost unfair -- it's based on an RPG and those are allllllways gonna need more detailed mythologies than TV shows, and if anything, one of the worst parts of the show is how much they couldn't get into), which was a pretty fun show.

Also, some love for "Forever Knight", without which there may never have been Angel or Mick St. John (and, one could actually reasonably infer was the inspiration for -- between 1992 and 1997 -- Angel even suddenly appearing in "Buffy").
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Despite being a massive Buffy fan, I'm not really into vampires. My friends that haven't watched Buffy (which is basically all of them) don't understand me when I say this. Buffy is so much more than a show about vampires.

Other than Buffy and Angel, the only other show that I watch that contains vampires is Supernatural (and I think there were vampires in it for like two episodes).

So basically, I'm not a vampire fan. I've never seen Twilight or True Blood, and I've never read any vampire novels. I've only seen one episode of the Vampire Diaries after being forced into watching it. As far as I'm concerned, vampires were hot from 1997-2004.
              Moss: Four! Five! I mean Fire!
              Tosh: Because you're breaking my heart.

Comment

I voted for BTVS. But I have to admit - in Supernatural there are a couple of episodes with vampires and they were made it very credible, too.
                sigpic
                maked by plamivasi

Comment

Originally posted by Spillow View Post
                  Despite being a massive Buffy fan, I'm not really into vampires. My friends that haven't watched Buffy (which is basically all of them) don't understand me when I say this. Buffy is so much more than a show about vampires.
                  I'm with you, although I do like the Twilight saga and "Being Human" (the US version). People look at me crazy when I tell them I dint watch BTVS for the vampires. It's the characters themselves and the way they interact with each other that pulled me in, not to mention I think the writing is brilliant.

Comment

To be honest, I prefer the old vampires over the current popculture boyfriends with fangs and a ~dark side~.

I love Dracula, he's by far my favorite monster. I started with the book (yeah yeah I know, should've done that ages ago) and the character is magnificent. And let's face it, Dracula is not just a vampire but he is the vampire. In a way almost every vampire shares some characteristics with Dracula. The combination of being a monster with the face and intelligence of a human is what makes the vampire so much more interesting than the werewolves or other monsters. A vampire can live between us, behave like us, which makes him really dangerous and facinating.

I didn't read much books by Anne Rice, but I still want to read at least more about Lestat. Lestat sounds like a very facinating vampire. Which makes him rare between the most modern vampires, the most are nothing but broody (and/or cool) characters with a dark side which brings on the angst.

Comment

I don't know if I consider myself a fan of vampires... I am not particularly enthralled by them (I don't seek every vampire books or movies out), but I do seem to enjoy shows about vampires. One of the main reason I loved Btvs and Ats is the mythology (I have always been more interested in the slayer and vampire stuff than in other elements of the shows. Never cared much for the scoobie gang dynamic, for example...). For a while, I was sick of vampires (or maybe, I was just sick with the Buffyverse). Now I got back into Buffy, and I also enjoy new vampires shows such as True Blood, The Vampire Diaries and Being Human (UK version).

I love Dracula by Bram Stoker. I used to read Anne Rices book, but stopped after the forth in the Vampire Chronicles... it wasn't keeping my interest anymore. I still like Interview With The Vampire, though (also the movie!).

That's about it, when it comes to me and vampires!

I refuse to watch or read Twilight, they would have to brainwash me to get me to do it! (no offence to the fans)

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                      Icon by xiperita

Comment

Originally posted by HisMRS View Post
                        I'm with you, although I do like the Twilight saga and "Being Human" (the US version). People look at me crazy when I tell them I dint watch BTVS for the vampires. It's the characters themselves and the way they interact with each other that pulled me in, not to mention I think the writing is brilliant.

I voted for BTVS mostly because of the mythology about vampires - about the soul and without a soul thing. Also in "Supernatural" the vampires can walk in a day. In "Iterview with vammpire" they couldn`t. In the both films the question about the soul is not disscused. And I think the mythology about vampires in BTVS is very well written.
                        Also, me, just HisMrs watched the show because of the characters. This show is about Buffy`s life . And all this things - vampires, demons, werewolves, e.t.c.. are just background .
                        sigpic
                        maked by plamivasi

Comment

I picked both Buffy and Angel as my vampire mediums because I am more fond of these kind of vampire mediums. I thought it's pretty awesome and I still do. I follow my vampireness on that ledgend, among other things. I watch the two shows for other things as well too, and those reasons are my own.
                          sigpic
                          NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
                          Coming Soon!!

Comment

Working...
                          X