Site restructuring: suggested new Buffyverse sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site restructuring: suggested new Buffyverse sections

As you have probably noticed, we have been moving a lot of the threads around in the Buffy, Angel and General Discussion sections. We now have the different season splits under the two shows and have pulled out the Character and Relationship discussions in all three sections. As there were a considerable number of threads that were about external rankings, polls, reactions, podcasts, articles those were gathered together too (currently News and Entertainment) and I noticed a good deal of threads that related to the mythology of slayers and vampires and grouped those as well (Verse mythology). So we're at a point of suggesting a new breakdown, having gotten a clearer idea now of what the content across the various sections is.

We're suggesting dropping the General Discussions section to create new sections to sit with Buffy and Angel in the Buffyverse section. So we'd have...

Buffy - with each season section to discuss the episodes of the show (possibly adding a reviews/rewatch section for each season)
    Angel - with each season section to discuss the episodes of the show (possibly adding a reviews/rewatch section for each season)
    Characters and Relationships - currently split into a Buffy section, an Angel section, and a general verse one***
    Verse Mythology - to discuss the particulars and peculiarities of slayers and demons across the verse
    Buffy and Angel Comics - with the subfora for the different publishers and other general comic discussions
    Wider Fandom - looking to split the threads in the current remaining General Discussion section***

***The Characters and Relationships threads are currently split into a section for each show and a third for threads that apply across the verse. We could keep these three sections under the main C&R heading as the three separate sections they currently are. Or we could look to introduce some character splits within the three. Or perhaps look to draw them all together and then break up by character or relationships. Either option adding character sections is a theoretical suggestion, we might find there aren't the variations for it and end up with too many being within a general 'other characters' or 'other ships' sections.

***We're suggesting creating three subfora to Wider Fandom. So it would have under it:
    - Articles/Interviews - for sharing and discussing links such as screenrant or newspaper articles, general interviews etc
    - Reactions/Podcasts/Social Media - again for sharing and discussing other fandom activities
    - Outside the Shows - as per the current area for discussing what the writers and actors are doing outside the verse
    - Other misc threads such as those about books and memorabilia would just be within the additional threads sat under Wider Fandom

So, what do you think? Please feel free to ask questions and share your opinions, preferences and suggestions.

I love things being tidy and all in their proper category, so I like that aspect of it. My only worry is that it will be easier to overlook threads as they get deeper embedded in the topic hierarchy.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
      My only worry is that it will be easier to overlook threads as they get deeper embedded in the topic hierarchy.
      I think this is where the intended activity column on the home page will be important. The New Topics link in the header of course gives a good overview of what has happened since you've last been logged in but it does require login. Latest Activity is there even if you aren't logged in but it only reports on the last topics created unless you change the filter to turn 'new topics' off. Then it gives a list off all individual posts.

Having a list in a right column which shows all the threads that have had recent activity if we can do that would mean that you are not left seeing only the last topic posted in for each forum. This aspect of additional ways to report the activity needs looking at definitely.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
        Double Dutchess commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be great to have this activity column.

I really love the categories so far. My first question is - where does new merchandise go? Dolls, games, toys, books, media. And my second question is related - where do we find out the latest news? Should we have a thread for this in general? Where would we post the new show that David B is in? Or the latest project by Danny Strong?

I strongly think we should have a thread solely devoted to the upcoming TV show even though it’s temporarily in development hell - I know it seems like a long way off, but I think a thread with new developments would be useful.

Could we maybe wrap them all up in a Breaking News kind of category instead of an Article/Interview category under Wider Fandom? One that has threads that keep tabs on the actors, writers, directors, new merchandise, new contests, convention appearances, concerts, readings, tributes, mentions? Once the new show gets going, there will be a lot of new stuff.

Or maybe just keep Articles/Interviews separate from a News thread that announces any new Buffy development whether the show or people connected to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
        I really love the categories so far. My first question is - where does new merchandise go? Dolls, games, toys, books, media.
        That would just go as general threads under Wider Fandom rather than one of the subfora in there. If when breaking down the News/Entertainment current group there were enough of these threads it might warrant a fourth subfora to Wider Fandom, but without going back through it's hard to say it would.

And my second question is related - where do we find out the latest news? Should we have a thread for this in general? Where would we post the new show that David B is in? Or the latest project by Danny Strong?
        That would still go in 'Outside the Shows' in Wider Fandom.

I strongly think we should have a thread solely devoted to the upcoming TV show even though it’s temporarily in development hell - I know it seems like a long way off, but I think a thread with new developments would be useful.
        There have been a couple of articles about this which would be in the News/Entertainment articles at the moment. It would certainly make sense to have a general thread about News on it in there as information is released or even in the general Buffy section outside of the season threads. Whatever the content is of something new coming out could help prompt where it could go.

Could we maybe wrap them all up in a Breaking News kind of category instead of an Article/Interview category under Wider Fandom? One that has threads that keep tabs on the actors, writers, directors, new merchandise, new contests, convention appearances, concerts, readings, tributes, mentions? Once the new show gets going, there will be a lot of new stuff.
        I'm not sure. At the moment having 'breaking news' would sit kind of flat when there isn't any regularly developing news. Articles and interviews covers a far more broad range and is based on the content that is currently on the board. The others all sound like they would just go into Wider Fandom generally as new threads were opened or the Outside the Shows section. Or were you thinking about the related topics about the new show specifically?

Or maybe just keep Articles/Interviews separate from a News thread that announces any new Buffy development whether the show or people connected to the show.
        It might be that it ends up getting it's own area once there is more happening/to say about it. But that might be within Buffy I can certainly see that it would warrant it's own News thread if developments start being announced and things start moving forward more determinedly. Do you think this is something that is likely to happen in the near future? Everything always seems to have such huuuuge lead times.

Comment

I am not sure I understand the new structure yet (I might be because I am very slow - lol.)

If I go to the directory on the main site I find the section Buffyverse. In this section, I find General Discussions, Buffy, Angel, and Buffy & Angel comics.

Going to the subsection Buffy I find the next directory and it says Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth. Scrolling further down I find current threads ( at the moment for example Inspirational, Joss Whedon Top Ten episodes, Fun with Buffy Miniatures, and so on).

I don't understand if the current threads are from all the subsections (Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth) or if they are only from the subsection Buffy which is a subsection within Buffyverse but separated from the above-mentioned other subsections. I hope I explained well enough. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to find the subsections and the threads within them if we show the subsections on the main forum within the section Buffyverse and within that subsection underneath the section Buffy. I also think it might be easier to find threads if the thread list in the subsection Buffy shows all the current threads, including those from the subsections Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
            I am not sure I understand the new structure yet (I might be because I am very slow - lol.)

If I go to the directory on the main site I find the section Buffyverse. In this section, I find General Discussions, Buffy, Angel, and Buffy & Angel comics.

Going to the subsection Buffy I find the next directory and it says Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth. Scrolling further down I find current threads ( at the moment for example Inspirational, Joss Whedon Top Ten episodes, Fun with Buffy Miniatures, and so on).

I don't understand if the current threads are from all the subsections (Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth) or if they are only from the subsection Buffy which is a subsection within Buffyverse but separated from the above-mentioned other subsections. I hope I explained well enough. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to find the subsections and the threads within them if we show the subsections on the main forum within the section Buffyverse and within that subsection underneath the section Buffy. I also think it might be easier to find threads if the thread list in the subsection Buffy shows all the current threads, including those from the subsections Characters & Relationships, season 1, season 2, and so forth.
            The additional threads that appear at the bottom are just general threads that are related to the Buffy show but which don't fit specifically under character/relationships or a specific season. Similarly, in the Angel section there is a characters and relationships section and each season and then the 'other' general discussion threads appear beneath those. We could put the 'other' threads into a 'general discussions' subfora (one for Buffy and a separate one within Angel) beneath the individual seasons perhaps, if people think having those 'loose' is confusing??

The character and relationships threads we were intending to put into an overall section. But weren't sure how members would want that organised (ideas suggested in the OP).

If the threads in Buffy and Angel were all grouped in subfora it might be possible to have a right hand column listing of most recent activity like we are intending to do on the home page, but I'm not sure as I haven't looked into this yet. I don't know if this would still be possible if some of the threads were 'loose' beneath the subfora as they currently are.

Comment

Stoney
              The Characters and Relationships threads are currently split into a section for each show and a third for threads that apply across the verse. We could keep these three sections under the main C&R heading as the three separate sections they currently are. Or we could look to introduce some character splits within the three. Or perhaps look to draw them all together and then break up by character or relationships. Either option adding character sections is a theoretical suggestion, we might find there aren't the variations for it and end up with too many being within a general 'other characters' or 'other ships' sections.
              I tend to prefer fewer subsections and therefore would vote for just one subsection "Characters & Relationships" that would cover both shows.

The additional threads that appear at the bottom are just general threads that are related to the Buffy show but which don't fit specifically under character/relationships or a specific season. Similarly, in the Angel section there is a characters and relationships section and each season and then the 'other' general discussion threads appear beneath those. We could put the 'other' threads into a 'general discussions' subfora (one for Buffy and a separate one within Angel) beneath the individual seasons perhaps, if people think having those 'loose' is confusing??
              I think a "General Discussions" subfora in each section would be a good idea since we have to sort the "loose" topics somewhere. Is there a possibility to have all current threads appear at the bottom? I think that could make it easier to find something. You have the subfora listed on top but you can also look at what is being currently discussed in all those subfora at the bottom.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                StoneyI tend to prefer fewer subsections and therefore would vote for just one subsection "Characters & Relationships" that would cover both shows.
                If the Characters and Relationships section is made from the three sections as they currently are, there would be a Buffy, an Angel and a verse wide section within it. If all the threads were put loose in there I think it would be a lot of threads with no distinction (General currently has 70 over 7 pages, Buffy 169 over 17, Angel 27 over 3). So it would be probably hard to find threads on specific characters or the Angel specific ones amidst all the others. Alternatively, they could all be thrown together, as a verse-wide section, but split by characters or relationships under that main C&R listing??

I've been surprised by how few Angel discussions we've been having. This is definitely an area that I'm hoping to post more in this year and wondered if those who haven't watched the show through might consider a watch thread. I noticed a couple were started but didn't gather momentum. As I'm just starting to watch reactor vids for AtS with alley box and failwhale I'd really like to generate some more Angel activity.

Anyway, /tangent...

I think a "General Discussions" subfora in each section would be a good idea since we have to sort the "loose" topics somewhere. Is there a possibility to have all current threads appear at the bottom? I think that could make it easier to find something. You have the subfora listed on top but you can also look at what is being currently discussed in all those subfora at the bottom.
                I'm not sure if that would be possible, but when I get to looking for the recent activity listing options if that can be added to the subforum areas too it possibly could be under or as a right column list. I think if the general threads underneath the season splits aren't obvious and could be missed, having a General BtVS threads section they all sit within makes sense. If it flags they are there better.

Comment

Okay, so that round of reorganising for General Discussions/Buffyverse is complete now too.

Further possible suggestions are:
                  • To split the BtVS seasons into the different episodes.
                    I'm a bit torn on this to be honest. I think that it might prompt threads if people have an area for each episode, but some are going to be far more busy than others. I can draw out the reviews from the rewatch for each at least, but that will obviously take some time. It would make things easier to find but most sections would probably be pretty light on content. And there would be *a lot* of sections. Plus, there would still need to be a section for overall season discussions too of course.
                  • To split the Characters and Relationships into Character and Ship sections rather than having them broken up by the tv shows and overall verse.
                    Again, I'm not sure whether I think we should leave this section as it is or not. I can see the benefit of this as some characters span the shows and because the relationships affect the characters within their overall stories, rather than being totally restricted to the individual shows. There will definitely be characters & ships that have more threads and probably a pretty uneven split. But this could make it easier to find things and also prompt people to think of talking points on those that have less activity already. Or, conversely, put people off discussing characers/ships that don't feel heavily supported. But if they already aren't getting discussed, you could argue it'd be more likely to prompt than put off further. And again, there would still need to be a general/others section as minor characters would never warrant individual sections. But motw or villains could be a category too. It would probably need to be existing content led.
                  • To split Outside the Shows into specific actors/writers.
                    Again it would make it easier to find information but there would need to be an 'others' section and some individual sections would likely be far busier than others. I'm not sure how warranted this breakdown would be.
                  Let us know what you think of how things have moved and these other possible changes. We are still talking to vBulletin about the missing homepage links and want to wait until that is fixed before considering any more moving around. So, we can a least have the conversation about whether or not we want to consider anything more. We may decide to just leave things as they are of course.

Also, in the meantime, I am going to try to work out what the activity list options are for the homepage.

Comment

This maybe an unpopular view, but I get confused with the amount we already have. Also considering the posting count on this forum is so low, do we really need what few topics are active, split into another section/thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                      This maybe an unpopular view, but I get confused with the amount we already have. Also considering the posting count on this forum is so low, do we really need what few topics are active, split into another section/thread?
                      Where they are is about organising content though. If they are in one subforum or another doesn't increase the post count. But there is an argument to say that specific sections being there might prompt discussions and have people read comment in past threads as they'd be 'findable' again. It may not too of course and just be frustrating clicking through layers of subforums. But I think what we had were pages of old threads noone read or commented in. But the new/current breakdowns may be enough.

Comment

To be honest I still don't think there's enough content going about to split. All these new sections just feel like overkill to me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                          To be honest I still don't think there's enough content going about to split. All these new sections just feel like overkill to me personally.
                          Well I think it's made topics a heck of a lot easier to find and as I was going through I saw some threads I'm not sure I saw when they were first posted that I'll be going back to find again later. I do think it is questionable about whether we want to split it any further though. Although I really can see the potential of it spurring threads if there are areas for specific things/episodes. We'll see if the general consensus is that there's enough divisions as it currently stands we won't increase it.

Comment

To be honest, I think it is totally fine the way it's now. To split the subsections into sections for each episode would be too much, I think. I don't see what we could discuss for example Teacher's Pet, apart from the discussion in the rewatch thread. It would be a subsection with only ever one thread. Therefore I think we should really leave it at the seasons.

The same goes for the characters. How often do we, for example, discuss Oz? If we talk about him it's mostly either in connection with a certain episode or season or another character or the verse in general.

And last not least the same goes for outside the show. Most of them are not making headlines every day anymore. There are the occasional tweets or Instagram pics but we already have a general thread for that.

If the aim is to prompt more discussions I'd say let's go through old threads and see if we should revive some with new posts or create new posts from an old prompt.

flow

Comment

I share Silver1 's concern that we might be spreading the forum too thin with all those subcategories, and like flow I would not be in favour of making things even more fine-grained than they already are.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm quite happy leaving the levels as we currently have them and seeing if we do find more discussions are generated by having some splits or not. We'll see if anyone else speaks up of course, but I can certainly see the merit in staying as we are for a time and seeing how it settles.

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                                I share Silver1 's concern that we might be spreading the forum too thin with all those subcategories, and like flow I would not be in favour of making things even more fine-grained than they already are.
                                Which subcategories in particular do you feel this with? Outside of the season splits, the categories that we've generated at this point have felt led by the content and in trying to make the threads less of a jumbled pile. Perhaps it is just me, but I never went through the old threads as it was just a mountain. I think some division gives a sense of directing interest and breaking up topics that might draw people out a little to encourage new discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                  Which subcategories in particular do you feel this with? Outside of the season splits, the categories that we've generated at this point have felt led by the content and in trying to make the threads less of a jumbled pile. Perhaps it is just me, but I never went through the old threads as it was just a mountain. I think some division gives a sense of directing interest and breaking up topics that might draw people out a little to encourage new discussion.
                                  Not any specific ones, just in the general sense that if visitors see lots of subforums that have only a few posts (or only really old posts) this might give them a negative impresssion. On the other hand, if the extra divisions lead to older threads being more visible and tempt more people to respond to them, as you expect, then this potential problem should resolve itself.

Comment

For me personally I find nothing seems to kill a conversation stone dead then having it taken into It's own separate thread where it can often linger and die.

Comment

Yeah, have to agree. The fandom and the board is slow enough you can probably get away with a general thread and have everyone post in it. The shows are over. There's no new canon. I don't think separate sections for all seasons is really necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                      X