Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, some updates on what is happening.

Group is hidden - I'm discussing with vBulletin the option of putting in a request that they change how the groups should function so that invitation only groups are visible but the content can't be accessed without membership. Unfortunately, with this request being an amendment it is hard to know when it could be completed by. It's a 'watch this space' on this one I'm afraid. In the interim, creating a public group just to flag the main group exists and to direct people to contact the group owner is the best option.

Group topics (threads) tab is not appearing - I have raised this with vBulletin. It seems to me that if you enter the groups via a notification it seems to restrict you to viewing that single thread (and so doesn't offer you the tab for the other topics). If you click on the group's title though (as it appears under the site banner), then it takes you into the group's main page and the list of topics reappears.

Notifications disappearing - DeepBlueJoy I haven't had anyone else raise this still yet but I am debating it with vBulletin. They suggested that if you go into the threads other than through the notifications that it would still dismiss them. I've pressed that you are seeing the notifications disappear as you try to access the list of them, without going into anything. So, at the moment I'm still trying to move them past the assumption that it is just that several notifications belonged to the same thread (comments and posts etc) or that you are accessing the threads generally. At the moment, I'm afraid your best option is still to access notifications through a bookmarked link to the 'both' filter, so that you can see the dates of notices (whether dismissed or not) to keep up with notifications.

Structure - we have, as you've probably noticed, finished working through the welcome area and have moved that to the top of the forum to help visitors/new members. We are now looking to move onto the main Buffy and Angel sections and will start to make changes and move threads around in there soon.

Thread list - looking to put in a list of thread/post activity that appears in a right hand column is likely to happen alongside looking at the structure of the main sections that we're moving on to next.

Tagging - Nina I raised the issue of the tags not working in comments even after the javascript check seemed to improve the tagging in the main body of posts. vBulletin reiterated that tagging is interrupted by javascipt conflicts/restrictions, but did also say that, "User Tagging doesn't work automatically in Comments. The system wasn't designed that way. This is due to the original design. Whether the design is correct or not is a different discussion." You could enter the BB code but that isn't really practical as it would involve knowing the user id number to be able to enter [user=???] tag.

Frustrating but it doesn't seem to be something we an improve as such. I have often noticed when tagging that it seems to prefer to put the tags at the start of the lines so you might find that it fetches the tag more readily if you use it at the start of a comment. It is supposed to retrieve the tags after three or more characters are entered after the @ so if it doesn't give you the pop up, just typing the username in and hoping it switches to a link in the comments is where we are with this. It is possible I could look to enter in a report request for them to consider looking at it as something to develop??

Reputation pips - these are being 'lit' fully in twos when they should go through a green level first and only light up one at a time. I've been discussing the behaviour of this with vBulletin and it has been concluded that these display issues are 'a CSS issue'. I'm trying to find out if that is something we can change or if it is all background coding we don't have access to.

Subscriptions aren't reliable - I have mentioned this to vBulletin alongside the question about the notifications but haven't gotten anywhere with it yet. It does seem like deselecting and restarting the subscription retriggers the notices again. So, if you pick up on new posts having happened where you should have had a notification but didn't receive one, try restarting your subscription in the meantime.

I haven't as yet has the chance to look further into the Cutting and Pasting text issue Silver1 is having or checked the issue with some text being faded or blacked out within the Dark style. But they aren't forgotten.

If there is anything that has been raised which I haven't mentioned, then please do say. I am trying to remember to keep the first post of this thread up to date with where we are with the ongoing issues and noting ones solved too for reference.

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Nina , a fix has been registered with the software developers to look to enable the pop up to complete user mentions also working in comments, so a future update will hopefully fix that.

• Nina
      Nina commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great, thanks for the update!

• Silver1 have you checked if you have javascript enabled and have the new forum homepage www.buffyforums.net as an accepted site across your security settings?

Also, it might be interesting to see if it works to copy into the text box if you turn it back to the source coding - clicking the far left button on the post editing toolbar that looks like a piece of paper with <> on it. Does it let you paste in the postbox if you do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
      One small thing I thought I'd mention: (just in case something can be done about it at vBulletin...)

....whenever I use the "Dark" Style, posts or blocks of text just black out. (Or they appear so faded they blend in with the dark background.) Enough that they can't be read. It's across the forum - but I think it only applies to text that's been copy-pasted rather than directly typed out, it ends up blacking out. As a result, I can't really use that Style ever, even though it's actually one of the very nice options in the different 'Styles' for the forum.

It's not super important, but I wondered if anyone else has noticed this? Not sure if others use the Dark Style often, but it's always the same for me.
      I've just been looking at this and flicking through the S7 thread to find examples in the dark style. The first time I've seen what I think you are describing is on page3, in your post #55. I see it again in post #86, #93, #98. This took me to the bottom of page 5. I haven't seen it on anyone else's posts and I copy and paste all my longer posts in so it can't be that in itself that is causing it.

If, while in the Dark style, you go into any of those posts to 'edit' and highlight the text and select the font colour drop down in the toolbar, it tells you that the font is a light grey. As there is obviously some automatic switch that occurs in the different colour themes between the skins I switched back to Wood and checked and it does look like the font in your posts is a dark grey rather than black. If you go to edit and select the font colour it says it is 'Automatic' but if you highlight it and then select 'black' in the bottom right, it clearly turns darker.

So I think, for whatever reason, when you are copying and pasting in it is changing the font colour to a dark grey. In the 'Dark style' this means it switches to light grey rather than turning to white from black, and so it doesn't appear as clear. I think if you edit the posts where you notice it, highlight all the text and switch it to white (if you're in Dark, to black if you're in another style) it should fix it.

Also, I noticed a lot of your pictures have a missing picture symbol beside them. It tends to do that when you have copied and pasted pictures/emojis, you can just delete the symbol in edit to remove those.

If you can tell me if you've noticed this on anyone else's posts or if you have any problem changing them I'm happy to help, I just didn't want to go through editing your posts without having spoken to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        Silver1 have you checked if you have javascript enabled and have the new forum homepage www.buffyforums.net as an accepted site across your security settings?

Also, it might be interesting to see if it works to copy into the text box if you turn it back to the source coding - clicking the far left button on the post editing toolbar that looks like a piece of paper with <> on it. Does it let you paste in the postbox if you do that?
        I'm sorry. This is turning out to be too much agro for me. I simply can't be bothered anymore. If it works it works. It just doesn't for me.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay, I'm happy to find the solution but if you're not so bothered I'll strike it off as it seems to be an individual issue. Still, if you find the same problem happening again, trying the <> 'source' button might readily fix it.

If you can tell me if you've noticed this on anyone else's posts or if you have any problem changing them I'm happy to help, I just didn't want to go through editing your posts without having spoken to you.
        Hey Stoney, thanks a lot! Yes, I've noticed the grey issue. Have no idea why it's done that, but I'm not worried about that so much. I know it is something I have to edit to fix.

However, I'm talking about a much more general issue. It's frustrating when trying to follow the rewatches in the Dark style— Almost every response post is utterly blacked out for me. I'll try and show you what I mean in spoilers as I've taken screencaps. The majority of your posts are blacked out for me, as well as those of others.

And I looked around on the forum, it's not just on the rewatch — even general posts are blacked out. I'll give examples. But I'll start specifically with the rewatch.

Spoiler:
        For instance, this is a response post by you on pg 12 that I just can't see:

Sometimes I can see the highlighted text you're quoting, but not your own text:

These are other examples from pg 13

These are your response posts again on pg 14:

Then on pg 15:

Then on pg 16:

Then on page 17:

And it's not just on the rewatch. For instance, this is how the general 'Welcome to BuffyForums' post looks like in Dark:

Spoiler:

It appears less blacked out than others, so it is still faintly readable, but it's an issue I've found across all threads when using 'Dark' (I think it probably only applies to copied text though). Do any of these appear blacked out for you as well in Dark?

It's not a pressing issue by any means, though. I've dealt with it by avoiding the Dark style altogether. But I thought I'd flag it up anyway in case it applies to others who may want to use the Dark style. Just as a backburner issue in case there's there's a solution later. One thing I've noticed is that I think it only applies to copied text after the site change—it mostly affects posts from 2020 and beyond.

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up about the missing picture symbols (I hadn't noticed that myself yet)—I will try to edit these issues.
        Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 10-03-21, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Ugh, okay, I hadn't gone that far into the thread to see those and they do look the same for me.

The issue there is that it just hasn't changed the font colour at all, the font is black on a black background. Obviously, I could go through editing them all but that doesn't fix why it isn't changing them. I don't know if those posts would have been copied in, possibly, but there are others that definitely would have been copied in of mine that it hasn't done this with.

I've raised it with vBulletin. As you said before, if you don't mind just switching styles in the meantime to avoid the issue, that'd be appreciated.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
            SpuffyGlitz commented
            Editing a comment
            It's definitely not a problem! And it's not pressing or imp

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            It's okay, I've raised a query. I shouldn't have thought it would be so simple. I'd like to smooth out any issues we find & it not changing the text colours is a glitch of some sort. At least the other styles can be used while it's looked at.

• Okay, vBulletin have looked at the sample posts I sent them showing the issue we're having with the Dark style. The problem is that the BB colour coding is appearing in some posts, so the font colour is 'hard coded' in the post. In that case it prevents the style from switching the colouring as needed.

There is no straight fix for this other than to manually change the colours in the posts. Wayne from vBulletin did this for the Welcome message for us and that is readable in Dark now. I have also gone through pages 12-17 that we were discussing in the Rewatch S7 thread and where a post wasn't readable in Dark I opened it to edit, highlighted the whole post, and selected 'Automatic' in the font colouring options. This seems to work fine to fix it, but is obviously not a practical solution across the whole site (it took about 30mins to go through the posts of those five pages).

I have asked vBulletin if they have any suggestions of why this might be happening in some posts. SpuffyGlitz suggested that it may be when text is copied and pasted in. This makes sense and may be true in the majority of instances. But I'm pretty sure on some of the occasions my post wasn't converting as it should when I had typed directly into the thread. But there is the chance it is just about copying in text.

Nina It does feel like this is going to be an ongoing issue. We can put up a post in the FAQ/Info section to flag to members that when using the Dark style if they find posts where the text isn't visible or is really faded, to just change the style to read the thread. Members can edit their own posts if they see it has happened (changing the font to the 'Automatic' colour), or check to see if any colour coding appears when the source button is selected when first posting pasted in text (you can flick to the source code in a post by clicking on the far left toolbar button of the post editing options with <> on it). But essentially, we either see this as a workable frustration we'll flag to members or we need to consider taking the Dark style off the list of options.

Comment

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            We can create a notice for people who use that style, I think that's a nice start. And we can check if we can adjust one of the other styles and make that one a 'dark' style so we have an alternative?

• Wow, that was fast! It's very helpful to know that by highlighting the text and clicking 'automatic' in the meanwhile, that can at least fix the posts currently faded. I just looked at those pages and you're right, you've completely fixed them (though it was time-consuming.) There's only two blacked responses on p 11 now, and my own blacked/faded posts, which I will set about editing.

I didn't know how to fix it efficiently like that. I was approaching the editing in a much slower way when I discovered this (reposting para-by-para). Thanks hugely for trouble-shooting it I think this is going to be just a workable frustration but it'd probably be nice to still keep the Dark style.

Comment

• Nina : We can create a notice for people who use that style, I think that's a nice start. And we can check if we can adjust one of the other styles and make that one a 'dark' style so we have an alternative?
            Sure, I'll look this weekend to see if it is possible to create a notice that is specific to using the Dark style. If not, I'll just post a thread in the FAQ/Info section about using the Dark style and allowing for this. For threads that may have more copying/pasting to them (still assuming that is the key reason this happens) and cause a problem to reading, such as the rewatches, it'll be easier if people switch style briefly if they find a thread where it is needed. I have no issue with keeping the Dark style if people like it and are happy working with this problem as and when it occurs. But I will try to remember to check for text I paste in to make sure it hasn't taken on colour coding to it. Realistically though, it is going to keep occurring amongst members.

I'm not sure there is any point in adjusting another style to be 'dark' as the same problem will occur if the text being viewed is hard coded to be black. Unless we opt for a different 'not white' background colouring that is more middle ground in how dark it is perhaps, so black still works on it. If you think it is worthwhile to play around with it, we probably could find a compromise that allowed for this issue.

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
            Wow, that was fast! It's very helpful to know that by highlighting the text and clicking 'automatic' in the meanwhile, that can at least fix the posts currently faded. I just looked at those pages and you're right, you've completely fixed them (though it was time-consuming.) There's only two blacked responses on p 11 now, and my own blacked/faded posts, which I will set about editing.
            I've fixed the ones on p11 now too. I don't mind editing and correcting these now and then when they are noticed or if it is causing a particular problem in a smaller thread. I went through S7 as it is the current rewatch thread and I wanted to check how easy the fix could be. It'll just be necessary to switch styles for the other rewatches if they are doing the same over a large number of posts. The threads are just too big to go through them entirely. But specific posts/smaller threads I'll happily do as/when they are noticed.

I didn't know how to fix it efficiently like that. I was approaching the editing in a much slower way when I discovered this (reposting para-by-para). Thanks hugely for trouble-shooting it I think this is going to be just a workable frustration but it'd probably be nice to still keep the Dark style.
            It's no problem. I'm always happy to help and am glad an answer was found as to what was happening. And I'm pleased if you feel it will be workable.

By the way, I only didn't amend your posts too because you said you were doing them and it would have seemed rude to just ignore that and do it anyway. But if you have any trouble with it do say and I'll fix them too. You are probably aware of this, but when you go into 'edit' if you click in the post and then press ctrl+a it will highlight all the text in the post and you can then just select the 'Automatic' colour option to change it.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
              SpuffyGlitz commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks a ton Stoney! That's terrific The good news is I haven't noticed this in any of the other rewatches, so it looks fixed for now. I just like having at least one 'dark' style on the forum

Sure, I'll look this weekend to see if it is possible to create a notice that is specific to using the Dark style.
            Pretty sure I saw an option to select "users who use style x".

I'm not sure there is any point in adjusting another style to be 'dark' as the same problem will occur if the text being viewed is hard coded to be black. Unless we opt for a different 'not white' background colouring that is more middle ground in how dark it is perhaps, so black still works on it. If you think it is worthwhile to play around with it, we probably could find a compromise that allowed for this issue.
            We could try to adjust dark as well, we can play with the colours after all.

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good. I'll look at the notice and try to find a succinct way to summarise it.

• @SpuffyGlitz: The good news is I haven't noticed this in any of the other rewatches, so it looks fixed for now. I just like having at least one 'dark' style on the forum.
            Oh that is good to hear re: the older rewatches. So, it might be an effect in pasting that has begun since the upgrade. If you notice odd posts like that do let me know and I'll fix them. I agree it is nice to have variety in the styles so if we can keep a dark theme without it being problematic that'd be great.

Comment

• I've created the notice against the Dark style and made it 'bright' so it stands out (but it is dismissible). Hopefully it's brief enough whilst still explaining sufficiently. I'll update the issue on the first post here too as completed now we know what's happening and note that occasions where the problem is found can be reported to the mods.

Comment

• Since today, or maybe since a few days, titles of several threads are missing on the Forums homepage. This is how it looked to me a bit earlier today, both on Firefox (this image) and Chrome:

BF missing thread titles.png
                https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Nina had noticed this too and we suspect that it is a quirk that is happening because of the threads moving around. Some of the ones in your example there aren't where things have been moving in the last couple of days though, so I'll look into it a bit more and raise the issue with vBulletin. Thanks for flagging it and taking the screenshot.

EDIT: I have raised this with vBulletin

Comment

• Wheeeee! The thread titles are back!
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                      Wheeeee! The thread titles are back!
                      Yes, I'm really pleased vBulletin got to the bottom of it for us.

It actually related not to the reorganisation but to a setting change we had made to allow the Red style to be one of the skin options, but without showing all the subforums on the main homepage. Fixing the link problem has meant changing that setting back, so the subforums have now returned to the home page if you are using the Red style. Unfortunately, I still think that makes the directory page look really cluttered in Red. I'm talking to vBulletin to see if there is a different way that we can get them to stop appearing in Red without triggering the same links problem. If not then we may have to take Red off as a skin option and just have Orange/Purple as the extra Verdana style.

Comment

• American Aurora
                        American Aurora commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Orange Purple is fine with me! Purple is my favorite color.

• Just aheads up to everyone, can people not pm me please, as I can't read what they've sent. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                        Just aheads up to everyone, can people not pm me please, as I can't read what they've sent. Thanks.
                        If you change your mind on getting to the bottom of the problems you are having with copying in or the PMs, then I'm happy to go back to figuring it out but it would be impossible without pinning down specifics as I was trying to before. Totally your choice of course. If you don't want to, I suggest that you consider dropping a visitor message to anyone who sends you a PM you so they can contact you that way instead. If you go onto your profile page you can always change the filter to just show visitor messages if you do use them and want to return to any (this would separate them from your activity notices). It is worth remembering of course that visitor messages aren't private.

Comment

• Okay, so this is a frustration that there isn't a quick/mass fix for unfortunately. We had some troubles during migration with punctuation corruptions and we identified and vBulletin corrected them, rerunning the migration a few times and doing mass changes. But I've noticed further punctuation corruptions in the last week where dashes, the first apostrophe when used to 'rabbit ear' words/phrases and some standard apostrophes (such as in: it's) have been replaced with question marks. Of course, because question marks themselves are legitimate symbols and we are no longer importing all the original files repeatedly, we can't just fix these. We can't just mass replace question marks either as it isn't all incidents that need correcting.

The only fix is individually editing out the corruptions from posts when noticed. If you see corruptions in a post which isn't your own, I don't mind aiming to fix posts members can't access that are reported to the mods as and when seen (this is on the assumption it isn't a request to amend the entirety of a huge thread!). Any thread titles that have them in will need reporting for a moderator to amend. You may choose to go back into some older posts of your own to see if this has occurred and edit out incidents yourself. The rewatch threads, for example, which I know a lot of people look back into, members might feel is worth checking. Indeed, it was when I was in a couple of rewatch threads that I picked up on this issue.

If you do have titles or posts you can't access to report, please do so here or drop me a PM.

Comment

• Obviously The One With the Self Aware Cordelia was just a step too far For some reason I can no longer access the Friends Titles thread, and it says contact a system admin. Can anyone help?

Comment

• Stoney
                              Stoney commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'll have a look at the thread and your permissions.

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Stoney. It could be something I'm doing, as I'm accessing the thread through the message centre
                          Working...
                          X