No announcement yet.

Reacting to Reactions! - AtS Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fan of phantom Dennis as an ongoing character, although he has his moments, but the intro and background to him I think are put together in an interesting way here. My least favourite aspect of the episode being the 'cry Buffy' line that makes little sense for Cordy to say I think and her breakdown didn't even make his list of issues. In fact, as I remember it, he seemed to quite like how CC did the despairing patch Cordy had. I have to say I like seeing her pulling on an inner strength again though. In that way I suppose she's given a touch of that duality we're seeing generally.

Comment

Okay, alley box has watched Rm w/a Vu now too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bxp8CL6Mg
      She clearly wasn't coming into this expecting to enjoy it too much. She isn't finding following Angel and Cordelia too engaging yet and wants something more. As she's not too bothered by Doyle I expect the change to Wes and that feel of a watcherly dynamic coming in might make quite a big difference for her.

It was so weird that the scene of Maude bricking in Dennis was missing from the recording she first watched. I'm glad she got to see that later as it's definitely a key moment in this ep. Shame that she originally watched it not in the best frame of mind, but I'm glad that on reflection she enjoyed it more.

I really like that she is pro Kate, but it is a fair point to question what she'd be thinking when it's revealed there are reoccurring suicides at this location. Where is there logic outside the supernatural she'd be happy with? Of course they are going to bring Kate in more so it'll be interesting to see if she is satisfied with how that goes. I'm glad she enjoyed the humour in the interactions between Angel and Cordelia and it seems she'll get more from the phantom Dennis element than I do. She'll probably warm to Doyle just as they kill him off.

Comment

I watched the AlleyBox review and can understand why she feels as she does. Cordy and Angel are still struggling with characterisation right no. They are being written as if they were still part of Buffy, especially Angel being the broody vampire. I think she'll warm when she sees that Angel is much better in his own show and Boreanaz can actually act.

I agree that Doyle's death will affect her, but she'll be surprised to see Wesley and I think once he joins, the show takes on a more adventurous and humorous tone and she'll enjoy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I watched the AlleyBox review and can understand why she feels as she does. Cordy and Angel are still struggling with characterisation right no. They are being written as if they were still part of Buffy, especially Angel being the broody vampire. I think she'll warm when she sees that Angel is much better in his own show and Boreanaz can actually act.

I agree that Doyle's death will affect her, but she'll be surprised to see Wesley and I think once he joins, the show takes on a more adventurous and humorous tone and she'll enjoy that.
          I suppose it makes sense really that there is a lot of BtVS characterisation in them at the moment as that's where they came from and there should be an adjustment/transition as they're finding their way in a new place. Plus, they could even bring it out in each other a little as they met back then. I think her feeling of not being invested in the character of Doyle will be better met with Wes' appearance. I think it will also help her to see Angel as a protag too.

When they make more of the clash with W&H and meet Gunn as well as having Kate around, you start to get a bit more structure to the world around AI. It begins to pull it out of just being Angel fighting demons at night in LA, which is all she's feeling that you are seeing so far. Somnambulist and The Prodigal start to dig more into Angel's past too and his deeper issues that feed that brooding. I'll be surprised if it doesn't start to grab her more as the season goes on and Wes joins.

I'm glad that she's feeling like she can express her reservations though. I think it is easy to assume the reactors are just going to say positive things to try to please the existing fans of the shows. I'm sure there is a degree to which that's true and they are deliberately trying to see worth in what they're watching. But it is important that she can also talk about how she is individually finding it when it isn't working for her and there's nothing wrong with simply liking one show more than another. Plus, she's clearly aware it's early days still for AtS. She may not come to love it as much as BtVS, but it should improve for her as it gets into its rhythm.

Comment

failwhale34 posted on Sense & Sensitivity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZE9pipAqE
            I have a lot of love for this episode. I'm glad he got a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, and appreciated the expansion for Kate.

Comment

failwhale's watch of Bachelor Party is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DccgHSkk7k0
              This was a fairly fun reaction to watch. He seemed to appreciate getting some more background to Doyle, but he didn't do any after watch comments/analysis this time so it was all just the reaction. No idea why, possibly tech issues. Plenty of enthusiasm for the coming crossover.

Comment

And now alley box has posted on Sense & Sensitivity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeF9VL_YHqY
                Her continued enjoyment of Kate's inclusions are nice to see. The way things go with Angel/Kate and her difficulty with the supernatural is not going to be what she's expecting at all I think. But it is impactful so hopefully that element will meet what she's hoping for.

It was just great to see her really engaged in an AtS episode. As she explains, for someone who likes normally reserved characters being written to share, it was on to a winner for her. I can understand the mixed feelings towards humour being attached to people sharing feelings, but I do agree they weren't just playing it as embarrassing to do. I'd like to rewatch the scene of Kate's speech now following her comments on the camera work, interesting.

This is the first AtS reaction I think she's seemed fully on board with the show. This episode is a highlight in the early half of the season for me so I'm not sure it won't drop a bit for her again after this. I do think it bodes well for her getting more engaged with the show and the better, more consistent quality increase that comes.

Urr, she started this video saying she's had a bad breakup, clearly is struggling with it bless her as it plays on her mind blatantly through her final comments, and is wanting Giles and Oz to not let her down. She does present it as not being serious but, egads, I hope she was feeling a bit better before she moved on to Wild at Heart over on her Buffy watch. I guess I'll find out when she loads up the YouTube of that next.

Comment

I've caught up with failwhale34 - IWRY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjXWQrGyNHc.
                  I loved his surprise when Buffy walked in, classic. His concern for breaking things when they start to passionately kiss in the kitchen scene is hilarious. A little occasional cringe for him, but plenty of praise for this one, the humour, the use of time and the resolution. I quite like his take for what Angel gains in understanding how they can come together when needed after this, if there's a 'world saving' purpose.

failwhale also posted a joint reaction for Hero and Parting Gifts too.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmom4etKPU

I don't get this watching order, but presumably he was advised to combine these two. His reaction to Hero was interesting, he's so certain it is going to be taken back and disbelieving they'd kill Doyle only eight episodes in. I can understand having that lingering doubt that he's definitely gone. Plenty of pros in his comments about this after he sees the two eps.

I loved his pondering in Parting Gifts about who the rogue demon hunter could be and then his response to seeing it's Wes, ha! Yep, Wes is the greatest tie in. He's totally thrown by the move from Doyle to Wes. It's actually a really interesting pair of episodes to see someone watch back to back because of that transition. I totally understand his response to Doyle going like that. It's good that it wasn't just undone, even if the character loss is sad and I was certainly disappointed, I loved Doyle. But hey, Wes is one of the best things about AtS. Great to see him really invested in the show and characters across these episodes.

And alley box has posted on The Bachelor Party too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8aB-oliS5o.
                  Well she wished for a Doyle episode and here it is. Interesting thoughts about the possible metaphor/themes of Doyle's experience in finding out he was half demon and his denial response to the trauma he experienced with that. I'm glad she seemed more interested in him and it is a shame we don't get the further development she thought could happen moving on from what we learn of him here. I still can't see her being too bothered by his exit next episode though. I think she'll have more energy for Wes' inclusion and going by her excitement in seeing JM's regular status on BtVS I think it will help better solidify an interest in AtS to gain Wes. We'll see.

Interesting thoughts on Cordelia's progression and her response to Doyle. I can't remember what I thought of their potential but I do understand suspecting nothing will come of it. No surprise she's looking forward to finding out where BtVS goes following the vision at the end of this.

Comment

Much later than I'd hoped, I've finally caught up with failwhale's reaction to Somnambulist... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXCc4HioUBE.

His reaction to the drama in his episode was so different to mine. He clearly felt it was really over the top in places. I've never felt that and it just made me want to rewatch the episode in full. I'll think about this next time I do watch it. I always loved Kate staking Penn through Angel.

His response to the Angel/Kate developments of the episode were pretty solid though and the interest in the new group dynamics is good, with appreciation for the link to Angel's past again.

I also caught up with alley box's reaction to IWRY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqk9khAz0W0
                    It's going to be a little bit before she gets to see more of Kate, I'm really looking forward to seeing her reaction to what happens with her.

Very amusing reaction to Buffy's appearance. She clearly wasn't really connecting with this though and didn't feel the Bangel vibe personally, but felt for Buffy. Some of the hits Buffy takes over the seasons are going to really hit her if she feels this connected to what she's going through.

Appreciation for seeing Angel become human and some elements of the episode, but she knew it wasn't going to hold. Interesting point of view on feeling the benefit for Buffy in not remembering. As usual I enjoyed her comments on the camera work and liked the tie she made with the scene setting in the sewers.

Comment

failwhale34 has put up a joint reaction to Expecting and She - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKAtrz3XwI

I can remember when I first watched these two episodes. After loving Somnambulist I was vastly disappointed with Expecting and actually, unusually, decided to just watch the next episode straight away to get rid of the 'ugh' feeling I had gained from Expecting. But it was She(!) and it really didn't help.

Hopefully I'll get to catch up with the reaction later today.

Comment

I finally managed to get time to watch failwhale's reaction to Expecting and She.

I quite enjoyed his reaction to Expecting, it drew focus to the team dynamics that are building which is the best element of it.

Gotta love the 'I don't dance' scene in She, it's a classic.

I really liked that he is thinking about the strain of the visions on Cordelia. His appreciation for elements of this episode was nice to see. I do enjoy watching reactions where the reactor likes the episode more than I do, it broadens my thoughts on it. Glad he's continuing to like the new team's vibe and it will be really interesting to see how he responds to the bigger shifts in Wes' character through the seasons. As well as the changing dynamic between him and Angel.

Shame he won't get most of the continuations that he's seeing the potential for from She.

Comment

Just watched Alley Box's 'Hero' reaction and she seems a bit confused about what was happening re Doyle. I don't think she believes the show will kill him off so early and just when she's starting to think a Doyle/Cordy romance could work

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Just watched Alley Box's 'Hero' reaction and she seems a bit confused about what was happening re Doyle. I don't think she believes the show will kill him off so early and just when she's starting to think a Doyle/Cordy romance could work
                            Oh no and she's been struggling to feel interested in Doyle. It's a shame if she was just starting to feel a spark of interest in where things might go with him now. I'll hopefully get to see this later today.

Comment

I finally got time to watch alley box's reaction to Hero - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxOLXRJOKQ

It is nice to feel she's getting more energy and enthusiasm for the show. The mood of this episode seems to work well for her. I can understand why she thought the Scourge could have been a multiple episode villain. I'm surprised she is questioning if they're intentionally using Nazi imagery when it's so heavy-handed, but I agree that it does add the sense of threat. Not with her on digging Angel vamped and in the uniform at all.

I can understand her uncertainty on killing Doyle off so soon. I'd be surprised if she isn't told about Glenn Quinn in the comments, but I hope not because at the moment she is wondering if he'll be brought back, and The Scourge return too, speculating how it might be done etc, and seeing it all as potential set up.

EDIT: I looked and third comment down someone says he had to be let go. I know it doesn't spoil the actual ongoing story, but still, frustrating.

Comment

alley box has posted on Parting Gifts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KejlOZzkG0

I'm pleased she seems to be avoiding her comments somewhat as she mentioned getting some RIP Glenn Quinn messages but she still has hope he's coming back.

I loved the moment when she saw the mysterious biker drive up and decided it would be cool if it was a demon hunter and was then so sure we'd know them because they didn't show their face straight away. Her response when she found out it was Wes was not disappointing. Glad she enjoyed this one so much and has so much anticipation for where things might go with Cordelia's and Wes' characters. Obviously, Wes is going to be sticking around far more than she's expecting.

The pick up of Wolfram and Hart in this episode stood out to her of course and her thoughts on how distinct it is to be facing off against a company were really interesting. It's lovely to hear her speaking with such appreciation for the show compared to how uncertain she was about it in the first few episodes.

Comment

• Priceless
                                  Priceless commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I loved that she loved this episode so much. I think she's going to enjoy Wesley being part of the AI team.

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yes definitely. She might be somewhat surprised at what a permanent member of AtS he becomes, particularly after Doyle left so quickly.

• Priceless
                                  Priceless commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yes, she still seems to think Doyle may reappear, mainly because he's still in the titles. By next episode I think she'll realise he's not coming back.
                              Working...
                              X