No announcement yet.

Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alley box has posted her reaction to This Year's Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfkiCHcbck, hoping to get to see this tomorrow at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      alley box has posted her reaction to This Year's Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfkiCHcbck, hoping to get to see this tomorrow at some point.
      Can't wait to see your reaction!

Spoiler:
      At first I was a bit annoyed with Alley because she seemed to not get it, there was just something a little off putting while she was watching the dream sequences. She wouldn't just let them play out without commentating. But as the ep went on, she was so in to it by the end, it was great to see. Now it might all be a put on, but it's a very entertaining put on so I stick with her.

Comment

"She wouldn't just let them play out without commentating."

She like a lot of reactors do that all the time and I'm afraid it annoys the hell outta me.

Comment

I've seen alley box's reaction to This Year's Girl now.

I loved the little interjection of her future self who has just seen the start of S5. There have been a couple of times now she's commented on foreshadowing she's linking as she's editing older episodes (compared to where she's gotten to on Patreon). Revisiting the episodes and what you thought before like that must be interesting.

I thought this was a great, fun reaction. I know she talks constantly through it, more so than usual, but it just came across to me like she is musing out loud, trying to figure out what is going on. I don't think she isn't listening/watching (which I sometimes feel with reactors). I think you're right Priceless in that it was more like she was commentating on what she was seeing. This episode is full of moments of intrigue, so I could understand it and thought hearing her internal processing was pretty entertaining. It's quite funny how floored she is by it all and her confused speculations about the council guys are mixed in with some pretty good ideas too on what might come in the next episode.

Great appreciation for all the other different character elements of this episode too. She's so energised by it and excitable it just made me smile. She really must have wanted to just put the next episode on. Ha. Her schedule is at least sticking with Buffy for a couple more weeks. I'm really looking forward to seeing her watch WAY.

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            She's going to be blown away by 5x5 and Sanctuary on Angel

alley box's reaction to Who Are You is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadh9eqa_9w

I really enjoy seeing reactors that have different favourites to me. It helps to see what they see in the characters/relationships and I get this benefit from her huge love for Willow & Tara. She's so excited by the possible romance unfolding. And there's tons of appreciation for Tara generally.

I really loved her response to Faith in this episode. She's on a BtVS ep again next, and clearly doesn't know that Faith is going to go over to AtS. I agree Priceless , she's going to go nuts for the AtS Faith episodes. This four ep crossover for Faith is an incredible part of the S4/S1 run and alley's clearly interested in what might be happening with her, so she's going to really like that she emerges again so soon.

Not sure she's going to feel the joy with Adam in what's left of the season. Interesting point of view on the general use of Spike, Xander and Anya.

Her comment on the sound cues and background music was really interesting to hear. I love her awareness of elements like this and the camera work at points, it really adds to my viewing of the episodes.

I've noticed that failwhale has his reaction to Restless up (and War Zone). Hopefully I'll catch them later today.

Comment

I've noticed that failwhale has his reaction to Restless up
            I wasn't very impressed by his reaction. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Comment

Stoney
              Her comment on the sound cues and background music was really interesting to hear. I love her awareness of elements like this and the camera work at points, it really adds to my viewing of the episodes.
              I don't watch BtVS reactors but, given your background in visual art, I'm genuinely surprised this isn't a starting point for you. One of the reasons I like S7 is the framing (there's quite a lot of frame within a frame - windows, doors etc...not quite John Ford, John Wayne and The Searchers but it's there). Sigh...maybe if I spent less time thinking about this, I'd remember the plot.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                StoneyI don't watch BtVS reactors but, given your background in visual art, I'm genuinely surprised this isn't a starting point for you. One of the reasons I like S7 is the framing (there's quite a lot of frame within a frame - windows, doors etc...not quite John Ford, John Wayne and The Searchers but it's there). Sigh...maybe if I spent less time thinking about this, I'd remember the plot.
                I know it's crazy isn't it. I think it is purely just because I wasn't used to applying visual analysis to film/tv until I started to discuss the shows. Although I've studied some tv advertising, my work has tended to focus on static images, publications, items/objects. If someone presented me with a screenshot of a scene it would be more automatic to start breaking down the elements and analysing it as a fixed image/items as I would a piece of artwork or photograph. But thinking about camera transitions, movement between shots, isn't something I'd necessarily notice. A power dynamic in the positioning of characters as they're talking, for example, I'll see. But it might not have necessarily been an element that would have jumped out at me in the same way it does for her as she's automatically considering direction. I'm getting more tuned in to it, but reactors like her seeing it in what they are watching for the first time really does make me zone in to it more.

Sound cues is a totally different thing. An absence of sound/music stands out to me but I often don't consciously take in the background sound/music and 'notice' them as a part of the scene. If I do remember to think about it, I see totally how it is being layered in to lead expectation and add to tone etc., and I know it is playing an active part in how I'm reading the moment. But it isn't a part of what I notice I'm noticing, without deliberately considering it. Sometimes I do think they really pop out. Many times I've shouted at characters on the tv not to go that way as the music of 'you're about to die' is clearly playing. But it is only through the rewatch I have got into the habit of considering the lyrics of the background music in scenes.

Comment

So I've seen failwhale's reaction to Restless - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7x5op8weBY

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  I wasn't very impressed by his reaction. Looking forward to hearing what you think.
                  I didn't mind it. I did think the fact it was only thirteen minutes didn't bode well, but I have noticed that he does generally tend to produce shorter YouTube videos than some other reactors as they get further on in the series. It makes his easier to fit in though.

I think he found the episode intriguing and entertaining enough, but he definitely spent a fair amount just trying to work out what they were doing. Once he'd gotten into the feel of it he seemed to appreciate some of the character elements that were being raised and the way they were transitioning between so many sets (especially in Xander's I think it was). I thought it was interesting that he said he expected it to feed into the future and be understood better later. Someone like Liam Duke I'd expect to get into pulling it all apart for character analysis straight away (I'm still on S3 with him), failwhale I think will like it more on a rewatch or with some more series hindsight. For a first watch, I thought it was a fair reaction.

But then, I suppose I'm affected by the fact I really didn't rate Restless at all when I first saw it and was quite critical of it. But then breaking it down and considering the various element with more intentional consideration made me realise I'd vastly underappreciated it. It's honestly one of my favourites of the show now.

Was there anything specific in his reaction that disappointed you Priceless ?

Comment

Was there anything specific in his reaction that disappointed you Priceless ?
                    The only thing that now jumps to mind is that he didn't seem to get that the shadowy man in Xander's dream was his father. He made several guesses (IIRC) as to who it was, and only seemed to understand when the man spoke to Xander.

I think I also felt cheated by seeing his reaction to Buffy's comments about the first Slayers hair and grooming. I would have like to have heard his take on that and if the racist nature jarred him. Perhaps it was the treatment of the first Slayer in the episode what made him cut it to the bone?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      The only thing that now jumps to mind is that he didn't seem to get that the shadowy man in Xander's dream was his father. He made several guesses (IIRC) as to who it was, and only seemed to understand when the man spoke to Xander.
                      I think you're right that it wasn't until his dad was in his face that he understood where they were now. They do build more on Xander's issues with his parents from here so I think he'll be thinking back to this as things move on.

I think I also felt cheated by seeing his reaction to Buffy's comments about the first Slayers hair and grooming. I would have like to have heard his take on that and if the racist nature jarred him. Perhaps it was the treatment of the first Slayer in the episode what made him cut it to the bone?
                      I really didn't notice him reacting to that element other than he was trying to work out what was going on and how it connected to the previous episode's spell. It could be that he was just somewhat distracted by trying to figure out the episode.

Comment

So I've just seen alley box's Superstar reaction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_eZ0CEatoY

Her enthusiasm for Tara is great, it can be infectious. Or, well, at least encourages me towards greater appreciation.

I have a lot of love for this episode and how it draws from everyone's situations and moves them on around the Jonathan/spell elements. I was surprised when she talked before watching that she found Buffy's reaction to Faith/Riley so hard to understand. So, I was pleased she liked how the episode followed up on that for Buffy.

I was amused that she objected to the repetition of a romance shot, it's just a classic. I found her comments again on Spike's inclusions interesting. I suspect the level she likes this episode is probably fairly standard to most viewers responses.

Really looking forward to seeing her watch the Faith eps over on AtS next.

Comment

• Priceless
                          Priceless commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I though she liked parts of the episode, such as Tara etc., but overall I don't think she was that impressed.

• Stoney
                          Stoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No, I agree, she seemed to just not mind it. Which I think is how most people feel about it. I adore it, but am always prepared for others to be more lukewarm as you say.
                      Working...
                      X