No announcement yet.

Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is going through the episodes at an amazing pace. Six episodes in a week. I actually think it's an advantage to not have endless breaks or to watch a dozen of other shows in between epsiodes.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      He is going through the episodes at an amazing pace. Six episodes in a week. I actually think it's an advantage to not have endless breaks or to watch a dozen of other shows in between epsiodes.
      Yes I've been surprised at how quickly he's putting them up, but it is a nice change. They aren't very long so it's fairly easy to work them in. The early season episodes always seem to be a lot briefer as, understandably, they have far less to say about them. I like how straightforward he is. I don't get the impression there is a lot of deliberate drama to his reactions other than I think he realises putting emphasis on the times he feels for Buffy is probably worthwhile.

Comment

DodoReactions has posted for a few episodes since I last looked :

Angel
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ08tOIPAH8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFICQD8seAE

'Stalker alert' I honestly don't think he knew Angel was a vamp, even though he'd wondered. As he says, he wasn't surprised and was surprised. His reaction to this one is really entertaining. His apology to the Master really amused me.

I Robot, You Jane
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGvdlRFFdUw

Shame his mic turned itself off, but it's still quite entertaining to see his visual reactions.

Puppet Show
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIuODvxK0A
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrSn-zZaNI

I haven't watched this one yet but hopefully will tomorrow. I'm finding this guy really very entertaining.

I also caught ASR's vid for Angel too
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExq...bYqz0v9uhx7hOj

Still frustrated she only posted odd ones for S1. There's just Prophecy Girl after this.

Her dislike of Collin is funny. She's so much more chatty now than she was in the earlier episodes. I assume just because she's getting to know the characters more. I know she said Angel watching over Buffy is kinda creepy but she's clearly very smitten with them as a pairing. Her response to the reveal Angel is a vamp was funny. Her reaction over the cross burn at the end was very different to my, 'that's ridiculous their heights makes no sense for that' response.

Comment

I have continued to watch DodoReactions.

The Witch:

I really liked how he was genuinely angry at Giles for giving Buffy such a hard time just because she wanted to join the cheerleading team. He does not think too highly of Joyce's motherly touch. Interestingly he defended cheerleaders, saying the mean girl in tv shows and movies is always a member of the cheerleading team. He thought that was quite unfair.

The best part however was how horrified he was at Amy's mother getting turned into a statue. Most people think it's funny but it actually is horrible. I sometimes think about her lying at the bottom of the Hellmouth crater, still alive and probably hoping to die ...

Teacher's Pet:

Cordelia has like three seconds on screen and he still manages to praise her above everyone else - lol.

Never Kill A Boy On The First Date:

I skipped his reactions because the audio didn't match up with the video. I don't know what happened there. Maybe that was why he switched microphones half way through?

The Pack:

He can't stand to hear the word quarantine - lol.

Dodge ball wasn't brutal when you played it? Of course, it was, you moron. It's the worst game ever! I hated it!

flow

Last edited by flow; 04-07-21, 10:06 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I've watched The Puppet Show and Nightmares and he enjoyed both of them. I am enjoying Dodo's reactions.

I really liked his point about the mean girl/cheerleader combo in Witch too flow . I've always really fancied Dodgeball but they never played it when I was at school. I think it looks great fun, assuming everyone doesn't turn on you like they did in The Pack obviously.

I had totally forgotten I'd not seen his reaction to Puppet Show so your posts prompted me to catch up again.

Puppet Show
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIuODvxK0A
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrSn-zZaNI

Agreed his reaction to this is really entertaining and he obviously really enjoyed the twists and turns of it. I'm glad he's liking the variety in the show. I've never really taken Giles' prioritisation of the talent show seriously as he is also making suggestions about looking into the deaths. I hope he comes to develop some Snyder love as he's one of the best supporting characters/performances.

Nightmares
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkgilT6bVA
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YHvZ3csKY

He's pretty underwhelmed by Collin already then. He's going to love the end of School Hard. His response to what Buffy's dad says to her is surprisingly emotional, Giles seeing Buffy's grave too. I can't decide how much reactions when people get tearful are about adding to the reaction for the viewers. He seems generally pretty straight/genuine though.

Loved his disbelief at Xander picking up the chocolate bars and how much he enjoyed the character reveals with the various nightmares. Still getting plenty of Cordelia love.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
            SpuffyGlitz commented
            Editing a comment
            I've seen the School Hard one but won't spoil :-) Loved his response to Nightmares It's one of my fav S1 eps and he really did it justice. I think he genuinely gets teary, wonder how Innocence will hit him!

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooo, I'm going to have to try to fit the Patreon reactions in. You should definitely feel free to post links/comments to any of the reactions you see in the different season threads, I can always glance over any if I want to avoid being spoiled.

I watched Dodo reacting to Angel. He said the f*** word at least two times and it made me laugh because it is actually used quite often in Germany. It's not considered to be as bad as in the US. I am not quite sure how British people deal with the f*** word though. Does it get bleeped on tv?

He had little patience for Angel's schtick and I am going out on a limb here and say he won't jump on the Bangel bandwagon. What I found really cute was the scene where Buffy talks about her diary entries not being about Angel at all and then Angel says he didn't even read it. Dodo said it was very embarrassing for Buffy but he also actually blushed on her account. I think he is really rooting for Buffy.

I skipped I Robot, you Jane because of the mic issues. I didn't want to watch through a mute reaction - lol.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

I just watched Dodo's reaction for Out of Mind, Out of Sight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgb6WhHRQ0, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm4g9Sxjldg
            This is a good reaction, he's clearly intrigued about what is happening and enjoyed the episode generally. He said he was confused by the ending, but didn't really expand. I suppose just because it leaves a thread to something quite different, so he's unsure if it'll be picked up again. Generally, I expected he'd like the focus on Cordelia in this one and getting some character insight and that did seem to be the highlight for him.

Comment

Just seen DodoReactions on Prophecy Girl...
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shkZvgzZaMc
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1byb7X7rSA

Ah, it's a shame he doesn't like The Master more. I know he's not all fierce 'mwahaha' but that's part of what is great about him.

All the character beats of this really affects him. He was so gripped, it's a great reaction. He loved the major scene with Buffy/Giles and seeing Cordelia getting pulled in. He's going to like the next couple of seasons with her I think but it might send him on a rollercoaster with Xander.

Overall, good response to the first season. I've really enjoyed following him and am looking forward to seeing him continue into S2.

I've still got alley box and failwhale to catch up with, hopefully later.

Comment

I also watched After Show Reactions' reaction to Prophecy Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZQ...JME2FCq&index= 5

I don't have strong opinions on her particularly as she put up so little of the reactions for S1, but she seems fairly engaged by the show in her comments and definitely still a lot more energised than when she started the season.

Lots of feels for Buffy's fear of facing The Master/dying but she was riding on the conviction it wouldn't happen because there are seven seasons. Obviously, that's always going to affect later viewers, knowing how much more is coming. But still, seeing Buffy dumped by The Master is horrible and she didn't think they'd go with it being real, even briefly. Her response to the creature coming out of the Hellmouth is hilarious.

She seems to miss odd ones of S2 as well. Going by what she said at the end a friend was actually suggesting skipping episodes they said were just 'filler episodes' in S1. It's a ridiculous way of viewing it in my opinion. Even if they only have smaller moments/character points, you'd still be needlessly missing them and some of the characters' histories. I think she watched them all though, and just limited the reactions to the supposed 'key' ones. I hope the reactions she doesn't put up in the following seasons are again only because she hasn't done a reaction for them, but she still watches them all.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really looking fwd to this She doesn't skip watching any, even if they're not all uploaded

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm really pleased to know she is actually watching it all. It's such a shame that you can't see all the reactions though.

Stoney
                He's pretty underwhelmed by Collin already then. He's going to love the end of School Hard. His response to what Buffy's dad says to her is surprisingly emotional, Giles seeing Buffy's grave too. I can't decide how much reactions when people get tearful are about adding to the reaction for the viewers. He seems generally pretty straight/genuine though.

Loved his disbelief at Xander picking up the chocolate bars and how much he enjoyed the character reveals with the various nightmares. Still getting plenty of Cordelia love
                I watched Dodo's reactions to Nightmares while I was on my stationary bike this afternoon.

I have to admit I was surprised Hank telling Buffy it's her fault he and Joyce got a divorce made him cry. He is growing on me as a reactor and I believe him to be 100% genuine and authentic. I am also proud my fellow countrymen are not afraid of showing their emotions! However, if this is making him cry he is in for an emotional rollercoaster through the next six and a half seasons.

It's funny that he still managed to get a little Cordelia praise squeezed into his reaction. I mean, she only had the tiniest line this episode but it was still his highlight.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, he loves Cordelia.

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He's now my favourite reactor! I've loved all his reactions

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                Just seen DodoReactions on Prophecy Girl...
                Ah, it's a shame he doesn't like The Master more. I know he's not all fierce 'mwahaha' but that's part of what is great about him.

All the character beats of this really affects him. He was so gripped, it's a great reaction. He loved the major scene with Buffy/Giles and seeing Cordelia getting pulled in. He's going to like the next couple of seasons with her I think but it might send him on a rollercoaster with Xander.

Overall, good response to the first season. I've really enjoyed following him and am looking forward to seeing him continue into S2.
                I have watched those two videos too. I already liked him a lot but when he started crying at Buffy's" I am sixteen, Giles. I don't wanna die" line, I felt like hugging and comforting him.
                I was surprised that he reacted very harshly to Xander telling a kid to leave (because he wanted to have a chat with Buffy). And when he said "Everything falls apart" just because Willow turned Xander down I thought "just wait until you see Seeing Red.".

I can really recommend his reactions. They are genuine, thoughtful, but not over the top analytical - that was something that did put me off Liam Duke's reactions a bit. I usually only watched the first part of them - the part where he does react but does not go into everything in detail.

One more thing that really made Dodo my favorite reactor, for the time being, is the fact that he stopped the recording at the above-mentioned line and took the time - despite being emotionally affected - to praise SMG's acting performance. Yay!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same, his reaction to Prophecy Girl, esp that scene, was wonderful

I really enjoy Liam Duke's reactions and his analyses. But he does repeat himself a bit when he's thinking things through after watching (and that's with watching the edited YouTube versions!). On the plus side, I think it shows he's thinking about it as he's talking rather than planning out what he feels will be impressive breakdowns, so it feels like it is all part of his initial/genuine reaction, even if he does ramble a bit. But he's raised quite a few things I've never considered though, so I'm happy to hear him say some of it twice. His reactions are quite a bit longer than those of others too, which is why I ended up falling behind with his and not continuing to watch them alongside failwhale and alley box. I do really enjoy Dodo too and hope I can work in his longer reactions of S2, it'll just be harder to do it and keep up with him.

Comment

I just watched the Welcome to the Hellmouth reaction for the new reactor Veronika that Priceless flagged in the general YouTube thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRLYsJiG3I&list

I think she's funny, although possibly plays up her visual reactions a bit. I don't know if that or the fact that she talks constantly will irritate me. I'll definitely watch a couple more of hers to see if I get used to her quirks. She is up to IRYJ so far, so there are a few to give a go. The spoilers that she knows are pretty vague. Although she thinks Angel and Spike are love interests, she said she thought one of them is a vampire. The details just don't seem there much at all. She does also know Willow is in a famous lesbian relationship often cited in tv tropes.

I'm really amused that she says Giles is very British. The depiction of Giles is really over the top 'British' so often, but it really does seem this is how other nations picture us. I suppose the Royal Family and stuffy politicians don't help to dispel that impression much.

Comment

I wonder what Veronika's accent is. She said she is in Scotland but obviously isn't from there. I'm so rubbish at accents, help me out someone.

I've watched her reaction now to The Harvest too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3bM_-EWQA&list.

I'm glad that she likes The Master. She does seem to have enjoyed the basic setup and what we see at first of the group. Good first comments on Xander and Buffy. Interesting initial expectation that Cordelia's role is for bringing balance to the combination of the supernatural with the high school drama rather than expecting the two to mesh as they will.

I'm intrigued to see how her feelings on the show develop going from her initial reaction here on the tone, where she's especially enjoying the fun and humour that is threaded through, and feels it is not taking itself too seriously. She might find the more serious themes work in alongside this and balance fine for her, particularly in the earlier seasons, but I don't think of it overall as a light hearted show personally.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Honestly, I'm hopeless with accents. I caught a 'w' in place of a 'v' and vice versa, so wondered at German, but I don't know if other accents do that.

• flow
                      flow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I heard one sentence and instantly thought she must be Italian.

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting. If she didn't strike you as possibly German she probably isn't.

So I've just seen Veronika's reaction to Witch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exi9u0hJBs&list. Really enjoying seeing her Giles love is continuing. Great appreciation for Buffy and, although this first MOTW didn't bowl her over, for the world building it gave.

I was disappointed that she said she got a lot of reactions to her first videos criticising her not having much of Xander included. I know the reactors must have their audience in mind but affecting what someone chooses to include and comment on is warping their individual response. Fan responses and comments to the reactors often emphasises how some people clearly watch wanting to see their own response mirrored.

Comment

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would also say there is a Xander resurgence happening in the fandom, or so it seems to me.

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting. I think I'm going to start a thread and see what responses and shifts others have seen as, thinking about it, I thought the general consensus was new fans were more likely to be against him.

Veronika's reaction to Teacher's Pet was interesting. Obviously, it's a Xander centric episode, but she was making a point about it increasing her interest in him. Which may well be true, but it does make me feel it might be because she was criticised for not commenting on him before. Although, she was openly critical of him continuing to pine for Buffy which does seem to be often be an issue people have. She did seem to contextualise that to him being a typical teenage boy though. The usual deserved appreciation for the lovely Dr Gregory. I was surprised at first when she said she liked TP more than Witch. But they do both have their strengths.

Comment

Priceless , I watched hani namu reacts' Welcome to the Hellmouth video. It's a little odd, as she's seen some of Angel, the first couple of seasons I think she said. Having odd snippets of what happens from seeing the sister show is always an odd start to seeing BtVS I think. It's back to front. She's got pleeeeenty of love for Angel though.

Have you followed all of hers? I think she's about midway through S2 glancing at her loaded reactions.

I like her and how she's responding to the show and the humour. Lots of energy and enthusiasm for it. It's a great first episode reaction. She's funny. I'll definitely try watching a few more of hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                        Priceless , I watched hani namu reacts' Welcome to the Hellmouth video. It's a little odd, as she's seen some of Angel, the first couple of seasons I think she said. Having odd snippets of what happens from seeing the sister show is always an odd start to seeing BtVS I think. It's back to front. She's got pleeeeenty of love for Angel though.

Have you followed all of hers? I think she's about midway through S2 glancing at her loaded reactions.

I like her and how she's responding to the show and the humour. Lots of energy and enthusiasm for it. It's a great first episode reaction. She's funny. I'll definitely try watching a few more of hers.
                        She is a big Angel fan. Like you, I thought it was a weird way to watch the shows, though she doesn't seem very spoilt on who Buffy is. She is a big Willow fan too.

I've only just discovered her, so not watched a lot of her reactions, but she does seem really enthusiastic. It makes me wonder how she'll react to the later seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          She is a big Angel fan. Like you, I thought it was a weird way to watch the shows, though she doesn't seem very spoilt on who Buffy is. She is a big Willow fan too.

I've only just discovered her, so not watched a lot of her reactions, but she does seem really enthusiastic. It makes me wonder how she'll react to the later seasons.
                          It will probably just depend on how invested she gets in the BtVS characters along the way. It'll be very interesting to see how she reacts to Angel's relationships with Spike and Dru in S2. If they present them/their dynamics in any ways that she finds surprising after first seeing them in the odd AtS episodes and flashbacks. She did seem quite taken aback by how mean Cordelia was at a couple of points in Welcome To.

Comment

hani namu reacts' reaction to The Harvest was hilarious. "Their lair is so gloomy, I mean, get some sunlight". And her fangirling over Angel is really entertaining. Lots of appreciation for the other characters too. Shame she's not feeling the threat of the vamps so much. But she's just a delight to watch. A new favourite.

Comment

Working...
                            X