Anyone heard about this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard about this ?

Saw this floating around on tumblr but have not heard about it anywhere else, anyone has more info ?
    https://buffythecomicslayer.tumblr.c...fy-the-vampire
    What a challenge, honesty
    What a struggle to learn to speak
    Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Oh FFS.........

Comment

I haven't heard of this before. I suppose considering all the attention the reveals about the toxic work environment have received it isn't surprising that someone is trying to use it as a point for wider discussion against the show and the social context of the responses to it.

Comment

I hadn't heard about it either. I've got a lot of books on Buffy, some contain interviews with producers, writers and cast members that offer behind-the-scenes narratives about the show's making etc, that I try to update each year.

Is Evan Ross Katz an academic? I'm not sure what the article means when they call him an "SMG expert". I looked him up and his bio says "Evan Ross Katz is a writer/editor whose work can be seen on/in Garage Magazine, Out, Fashionista, Men's Health, Refinery29, MTV, Teen Vogue, Playboy, The Advocate, Observer, Allure Magazine, Time Out NY, and more".

Thanks for sharing!
        Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 08-06-21, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I guess they're trying to milk some money from the recent news.

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what it feels like with the description. It could be quite gossipy in feel.

Yeah, I'm reserving my judgement for when we get more details, but it doesn't bode well At the very least we can already infer that it's not (likely) going to be an impartial, cross perspective depiction of the events.
          What a challenge, honesty
          What a struggle to learn to speak
          Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

I imagine this will be a 'warts and all' retelling of the on set happenings

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I imagine this will be a 'warts and all' retelling of the on set happenings
              Sounds like it'll be a bit of a hit piece to me. Old interviews with quotes taken out of context to lead people to a conclusion.

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah pretty much agree.

Evan Ross Katz is known for his extremely campy persona, podcast and writings on various topics that generally revolve around gay culture. I would imagine that the book will be looking at Buffy from that vantage point, with all of the dish, camp and diva worship that he’s known for. His podcast is called “Shut Up Evan” - the description mentions that he talks about gay s**t and such. One of his big things is SMG and he appears to view her as a major figure in gay culture (which is not untrue.). Not only her work in Buffy, but also the campy and entertaining Cruel Intentions and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Looking at the description, I imagine that the book will look at Buffy more from a personal point of view - how it affected him as a young gay man - plus a lot of amusing dish and rumormongering. It sounds like it’s going to be closer to a memoir than a thoroughly researched book. The interviews with SMG and CC are most likely just transcripts of the interviews from his podcast. I doubt he’s done enough research or interviews to do a genuine ‘warts and all’ book - it’ll be closer in spirit to “What Buffy means to Me” fan articles than anything else, I’m betting, with some clucking over Whedon and the rest.

Still, I imagine the point of the book is to make the case that Buffy is still relevant regardless of what happened on set - because it had a huge impact on culture - especially gay culture.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 09-06-21, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X