Verse mythology - isolated statements/moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verse mythology - isolated statements/moments

In The Wish Nancy states, "Everyone knows that vampires are attracted to bright colors." This could of course be seen as a development specific to the alternate universe of The Wish, but it struck me as a random statement that I don't think is backed up or repeated at another point in either show.

Also, in The Harvest, when Principal Flutie stops Buffy leaving and states, "That's the Buffy Summers I want in my school. Sensible girl, with her feet on the ground!" Buffy then easily jumps the school gates. Again, I don't think this is something that we see again. Although she does get up to the tower in Earshot in a series of very athletic moves, that jump from a standing start I think is an isolated physical display.

Can you think of other occasions these elements of vampire and slayer mythology have been repeated? Or, give other examples of times when some random statements were made or moments happened that weren't repeatedly or commonly used points of mythology within the verse?

I think the colors bit was just to show how clueless the people were.

Buffy displays her jumping ability a couple times after. When she meets Angel and later in S6 when she catapults over some trees leaving Xander in the dust. It was one of those things they used when necessary. I think they didn't want to get into silly levels like the Angelus/Faith fight on Angel that was as out of place as Mulder turning into Jason Bourne in the X-Files revival.

Comment

I agree that Buffy's jumping ability appears a few times throughout the show. She jumps far and high to battle Ampata in Inca Mummy Girl, she leaps a great height in Lie to Me to get to Drusilla when Spike's gang enter the basement, she jumps very high to avoid Dracula's swing in Buffy VS Dracula and then later across the room to stake him, she leaps over tall hedges in Two to Go etc. Faith is showing jumping great heights in Five By Five and Release as well.

For me the two that stand out the most is Penn's super speed in Somnambulist when he attacks the police at the station and Marissa scaling up walls like a spider in Deep Down. In all fairness, the super speed is implied in other scenes (Angelus getting up to the top of the stairs before Jenny in Passion etc) but it was just the first time we'd seen it visually represented like that. However, a vampire being able to scale up a wall like a spider was certainly new and not something we ever saw repeated again.

The use of garlic to repel vampires has always intrigued me in BtVS. In The Harvest garlic is shown in Buffy's weapon trunk, Buffy and Willow put garlic up around her room to try and keep Angelus out in Passion and Buffy puts garlic in her room to ward off Spike in Wrecked. However, we never actually see what effect garlic actually has on vampires (does it burn them like a cross? Does it simply deter them? etc) and in The Prodigal Liam's father nails garlic to his windows and all Angelus says is that he's busy "hanging that foul herb at the door." However, other than showing a distaste for it, it doesn't seem to actually impact Angelus in anyway. I'd love to know what it actually does in the Buffyverse or if it's a bit of a superstition and nothing more.

I interpreted the colours moment from The Wish the same as iwhale. I thought it was meant as an act of desperation from the Sunnydale citizens to try and ward off vampires. A baseless superstition, if you will.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• bespangeled
        bespangeled commented
        Editing a comment
        There's also Cordelia refusing to give up pasta del mar, and Angel complaining about the smell. I think garlic is pungent and a vampire sense of smell is sensitive so they may find a victim that's less stinky

Originally posted by iwhale View Post
      I think the colors bit was just to show how clueless the people were.
      Ach, you're probably right. With everyone deliberately wearing sedate colours I had assumed they had a reason for believing it other than just fear. But it could well have just been that. You wouldn't expect Giles and his group to adhere to such belief though and I can't remember if they all looked similarly dressed.

Buffy displays her jumping ability a couple times after. When she meets Angel and later in S6 when she catapults over some trees leaving Xander in the dust. It was one of those things they used when necessary. I think they didn't want to get into silly levels like the Angelus/Faith fight on Angel that was as out of place as Mulder turning into Jason Bourne in the X-Files revival.
      Ah, was that when she went to wait on the bar above the path? You and vampmogs raise a good few examples. I don't know why the school gate one has always stood out to me as unusual. I suppose because she's not in motion at all but possibly just because we also don't see it, the camera being in on Buffy rather than showing the full jump, so it seemed more 'odd'.

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
      For me the two that stand out the most is Penn's super speed in Somnambulist when he attacks the police at the station and Marissa scaling up walls like a spider in Deep Down. In all fairness, the super speed is implied in other scenes (Angelus getting up to the top of the stairs before Jenny in Passion etc) but it was just the first time we'd seen it visually represented like that. However, a vampire being able to scale up a wall like a spider was certainly new and not something we ever saw repeated again.
      Yes, I was thinking about Somnambulist and that does stand out. Angel's dream connections with Penn too suggests a link as his sire that I don't think we see specifically like that again. But there are other times when a connection between two vamps is suggested. Human Darla telling Lindsey she can feel Angel in Judgment stands out as she has lost her demonic side. But what would/wouldn't be retained from a dusted vampire being magically returned to being human is clearly not breaking previously established mythology.

The use of garlic to repel vampires has always intrigued me in BtVS. In The Harvest garlic is shown in Buffy's weapon trunk, Buffy and Willow put garlic up around her room to try and keep Angelus out in Passion and Buffy puts garlic in her room to ward off Spike in Wrecked. However, we never actually see what effect garlic actually has on vampires (does it burn them like a cross? Does it simply deter them? etc) and in The Prodigal Liam's father nails garlic to his windows and all Angelus says is that he's busy "hanging that foul herb at the door." However, other than showing a distaste for it, it doesn't seem to actually impact Angelus in anyway. I'd love to know what it actually does in the Buffyverse or if it's a bit of a superstition and nothing more.
      I think it is just a deterrent. The granules I put down in my garden to put off the local cats is a garlic based one. For those with a superior sense of smell I imagine it is off putting. But that would at worse create a momentary wince, it would hardly be much protection, so it bothering them more than that would make it more logical as something Buffy kept in her supplies and used herself.

I interpreted the colours moment from The Wish the same as iwhale. I thought it was meant as an act of desperation from the Sunnydale citizens to try and ward off vampires. A baseless superstition, if you will.
      You're probably both right. In that way it reminds me of the film The Village. I will be looking though next time I watch the episode to see if Giles/Oz/Larry are wearing especially different clothing. Although they obviously might do so to blend in with everyone around them anyway, even if they don't believe it really makes a difference.

Comment

I thought the garlic thing was either a joke, or like the bright colours attracting vampires, showing how little is really known about vampires.

Isn't garlic related to onion and we know Spike loves a blooming onion so I'm not sure how well garlic would work as a deterrent. Unless it depends on amounts and you need a hell of a lot of garlic to deter vampires, as Buffy has in Wrecked.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I thought the garlic thing was either a joke, or like the bright colours attracting vampires, showing how little is really known about vampires.

Isn't garlic related to onion and we know Spike loves a blooming onion so I'm not sure how well garlic would work as a deterrent. Unless it depends on amounts and you need a hell of a lot of garlic to deter vampires, as Buffy has in Wrecked.
          Yeah, onions should have some effect on vamps if garlic does, but I don't think Joss is aware they are the same family. Most of the things in vampire lore that repel and kill vamps are related to medicinal things. Like vamp sensing and smelling, it's one of those things that is made use of when it suits them. Buffy and Spike and Buffy and Angel are attuned to each other in one scene, but capable of sneaking up on each other the next.

Comment

Garlic is part of the “lily” family , Amaryllidaceae, which, as you know, represents resurrection and eternal life, hence the “Easter lily.” Cooked garlic is ¼ as strong as raw and thus, the “blooming onion” is a reference to the weaker cousin to garlic, itself also weaker and very * sweet* the more it “sweats,” when cooked, and! Represents the female genitalia (and the act of “eating it.” to be graphic. So that might “explain” how Spike ‘enjoys’ it. (And I might mention this regarding the “bespelled” or “alter reality ‘behind the “ 'wings’” --hee--of the stage of Angel/Cordelia in ‘Waiting in the Wings.’)

The other reference used on Buffy a lot is ‘vanilla’—it is related to the orchid, Orchidacae, which is a symbol of femininity, joy, beauty, (purity, often, if “white”—western; as ‘white’ is “death’ in eastern “lore.”) and also means: “everlasting love for the deceased” , so very much a ‘normal’ kind of symbol, particularly in “fan fic” regarding Buffy and Angel for each other, (season 5’s grave scene for example), with so many “death” symbols contained within BTVS.

HUGS!
            sybil

Comment

The other reference used on Buffy a lot is ‘vanilla’—
              Which references are you thinking of in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Which references are you thinking of in particular?
                I don't think it's ever mentioned in show. It's a fanfic thing that Buffy smells like vanilla. It's from an interview with Sarah where she said she had vanilla-scented hand lotion or something or other in her purse.

Comment

When I think of Buffy jumping, I think of the finale in "Chosen" when she leaps tall buildings at a single bound.

I also think of the fight between Angel and Spike in "Destiny" where they both literally leap all over the place in a way that we rarely see. I like the moment when Spike lands with his coat behind him almost like bat wings.

The weirdest thing I recall a vampire doing is brushing their teeth - Harmony in "Harm's Way" does this. Never saw any other vampire do that.

Dracula turning into a puff of smoke is a neat parlor trick, but you never see any other vamp do that either.

I'm not sure if we ever see any other vamps eat human food except Spike. Mister Trick orders fast food and pizza, but I think the actual food he's after are the delivery people themselves.

Of course, many of the vamps drink coffee and/or booze.

Comment

With Dracula it’s “showy Gypsy stuff” — those wacky Gypsies. Then again, maybe it comes from just being straight-edge in his vampirism. As Bela Lugosi’s Dracula said “I do not drink.... wine.” Maybe the other vamps fondness for booze dulls their potential.

Yes, I also thought the bright colours thing was human desperation and misconceptions, mixed with a touch of slut-shaming.

The jumping over the fence stunt feels like it with needs the Bionic Woman sound effect:
                    https://youtu.be/DZvw9O_1hMs

Or the Wonder Woman jumping sound effect:
                    https://youtu.be/RDe59Dlmi8g

Comment

American Aurora
                      The weirdest thing I recall a vampire doing is brushing their teeth - Harmony in "Harm's Way" does this. Never saw any other vampire do that.
                      Spike implies it in "Dirty Girls" - tobacco stains the teeth. Given the significance of the title (and the context of the conversation with Faith), I'd always presumed it was a comment on the abject - both girls/women and vampires constructed as the dirty other by patriarchal discourse. For me, it conjures Dead Things (the corpse being the ultimate in abjection - "the big house" features in both episodes. Buffy wants to be in prison - Faith's just been sprung) and then onto the mother via The Body and the notion of cleanliness (it's the mother's role to prepare a child for patriarchal society by bringing the child up to be "clean and proper"). This is usually when I've drunk too much
                      coffee.
                      Last edited by TriBel; 26-09-21, 10:15 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X