Tying off hanging plot points and loose threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying off hanging plot points and loose threads

Are there any plot points that are left hanging or loose threads in either show that you can suggest headcanon to tie off?

I thought of this when seeing a reactor watch Teacher's Pet and, as often happens, the ending left them speculating about whether there would be more preying mantis coming in future episodes (because of the eggs seen in the class storeroom). I'm going to suggest that this in fact was narrowly averted when someone came in to clear the room at the end of the day (directly after Buffy had just left) and that they somehow spotted and cleared the eggs. Perhaps that first baby slowly emerging was what caused them to see the eggs and they just bagged and destroyed them all.

Do you have any other suggestions for this or other plot points needing tying off or tidying up?

Another just occurred to me from the final season of AtS. Fred's parents not knowing about Fred's death. Left at just the tv shows they never knew that she'd been taken over by Illyria and we don't know that anyone survived that final battle of NFA. But I'd like to believe that if they did, they would have gone to the trouble of finally contacting her parents to at least say that she'd died fighting to save the world. Or, going with the comics canon, that when Fred was returned she did go to see her parents. I doubt she would have explained everything that she'd been through, but they might have been told about Illyria to some extent.

Of course, she then goes missing again in S12, but, as another thread, I like to believe that they would have found a way to rescue her. I can see Angel determinedly finding a way and the scoobies supporting him.

Comment

A big mystery to me is what happens to certain people who are vanquished, but not dead at the end of episodes.

Amy's mother in Witch - did she die in the Sunnydale crater?

Ethan Rayne - he never did escape the government, did he?

What happened to Marcie Ross? Did she become a super spy?

The weird shaman guy in Enemies who casts spells in Arabic - would like to have seen him again - there's a backstory there with his wife that sounds interesting...

We never hear from Olivia again until the comics - I guess the Gentlemen scared her away permanently.

What happened to Andrew's brother? Did he end up in prison?

We never see Oz at all until the comics - a return in season 7 would have been nice.

Most importantly, where were Willow and Xander's parents in Chosen? Were they warned to leave town?

Comment

Stoney
      Well Spiked
      Stoney
      Do you have any other suggestions for this or other plot points needing tying off or tidying up?
      No. I'll be honest, I never really notice them and if I do it doesn't bother me. Does it bother you? I'm not sure whether I lack imagination or whether it's the legacy of 20+ years telling students not to reiterate the plot. That aside, I take my lead from Lessons..."There's always a talisman. The real question is who put it there..." As far as I'm aware we never find out. Closure is a narrative device and "Life isn't a story". I think it's kinda neat. Alternatively, it's an excuse because I don't remember story.

@American Aurora

We never see Oz at all until the comics - a return in season 7 would have been nice.
      I think he's there kinda by association. New Moon Rising: WILLOW: I was waiting. I feel like some part of me will always be waiting for you. Like if I'm old and blue-haired, and I turn the corner in Istanbul and there you are, I won't be surprised. Because... you're with me, you know? OZ: I know. (Pause) But now is not that time, I guess.

S7 opens in Istanbul and I think S7 is - in part - a mediation on Time/History. Lessons opens in Istanbul. It's actually much easier to get closure if you ignore the story.
      ​​​​​​​
      sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
        Priceless
        Slayer
        Priceless commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty much the same, I don't really see hanging plot points, or not ones I'm particularly interested in having answered.

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
      I'll be honest, I never really notice them and if I do it doesn't bother me. Does it bother you? I'm not sure whether I lack imagination or whether it's the legacy of 20+ years telling students not to reiterate the plot. That aside, I take my lead from Lessons..."There's always a talisman. The real question is who put it there..." As far as I'm aware we never find out. Closure is a narrative device and "Life isn't a story". I think it's kinda neat. Alternatively, it's an excuse because I don't remember story.
      It doesn't bother me. I just find the story interesting and where there are answers there's normally the potential of more questions. So really it is an interest in more and digging into what was happening. If you knew who put the talisman there then the natural next question is why. What happens next is always of interest to me. And after that, and after that etc etc. Where there is a question left unanswered it provides a spring board for mulling over possibilities.

Describing it as tying off hanging plot points and loose ends was misleading I suppose because when do you really consider something concluded. It should perhaps have just been about picking up hanging plot points or loose ends.

I love the idea of the link to Oz in S7. I'd still have liked to literally see or hear from him though.

I'm now trying to think on possibilities of who placed the talisman.

American Aurora
      Slayer
      American Aurora That's a great bunch of possible plot points to be continued. I've heard people raise the idea of wanting to find out what happened with Marcie Ross quite a few times. It would have been great fun to have had her come into another episode or be side mentioned. She could even have gone rogue and offered her services to W&H and been brought up in AtS. Possibly in Blind Date, as another of their assets.

The others I'm going to have a dwell on.

Comment

Working...
      X