Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key Affecting Moments (perhaps ones you only noticed later)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Affecting Moments (perhaps ones you only noticed later)

There are so many moments in both shows that really bring out strong emotional responses from us. Surely, part of why we love these shows so much is because we care about the characters and seeing their journeys and experiences affects us. There are storylines and plots, twists and turns that really take us by surprise, hit hard, make us think of something new or are deeply relatable.

I was thinking about The Pack today and the moment of Flutie's murder. There's no doubt it is a really dramatic moment in the first season and I was astounded from the first time I saw it that they went there and actually had him killed that way. So much of the season focuses on the social struggles of high school, but I hadn't until today thought about this moment and how that also shows the strain that the adults can be under too. Flutie was arguably trying to be too kind and lacked a level of authority that would have helped him do his job, but his murder obviously went to the extreme to depict the cost to him. I've never really thought about the strain on the teachers and the toll of dealing with the students. That this moment shows the pressure on others too, that it's an environment that could 'eat you alive' and defeat the adults too, underlines school as a brutal place!

I just wanted to explore some of the times that stand out to others as key moments in a season or character path. Times that really affected what we thought of the shows, the characters, the plots or the actors. What stood out to you, what moments changed your views as the characters grew, what seemed key and hit you the hardest emotionally? Has there been anything that you've noticed on later rewatches like this which you didn't notice or think about on previous viewings that you feel added something significant to how you view the themes, shows, characters or plots?

Well, my contribution really is an obvious one but the moment in IWMTLY when Buffy returns home and finds Joyce lying on the sofa and she says "Mom? Mom? Mommy" really is the most devastating moment in the whole series to me. It's actually that last "Mommy" that hits me hardest. Suddenly Buffy isn't the Slayer anymore, she is a little girl who needs her mom to be there for her.

There is another moment that is very tiny actually and I am not sure I noticed the impact when I first watched the show. It's Buffy talking to Mr. Platt, the school counselor, opening up while he is sitting in his chair, already dead.

To think what difference it would have made for Buffy to have someone to talk to, someone whom she trusts and who could offer her much-needed therapeutic help ... it's never again talked about and Buffy never again seeks any help outside the circle of her friends and family.

flow

Comment

This will sound weird, but I’ve just rewatched the last three episodes of Season Six and I had an emotional reaction to Willow that I hadn’t had before. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been writing about Dark Willow, but for the first time when she was talking to Buffy and Xander in Villians, I got a real sense of the horror of Tara’s death and her intense fury and anger at Warren, Jonathan and Andrew.

Perhaps it’s the last four years and the pandemic that’s affected me, but the whole Dark Willow arc felt intensely real and heartbreaking to me in a way that it hadn’t before.

I also really felt Buffy’s need to take Dawn to Spike despite what had happened. I realized that it wasn’t rational, but emotional - a desperate attempt to try and put together another part of her life that had been fundamentally broken. Buffy couldn’t bring Tara back or stop Willow - but she could at least try to pretend that things were the same with Spike. When she arrives to find him gone, I felt like the floor fell out from under Buffy because she realized that she could never, ever go back to before. All things have fallen apart - the center could not hold.

It’s this sudden reset that I suddenly realized eventually leads to her acceptance of life and rebirth at the end of the Season.

Comment

What a great topic!

Stoney I’d never have thought of the death of Flutie as such a powerful moment, but it makes sense.
        flow I’m right there with you with the “Mom? Mom? Mommy?” Both my parents are still alive, but that moment felt so real and raw to me. I sometimes wonder if that’s what my mom experienced when she discovered her mother.
        American Aurora Wonderful look at the end of season six.

One of the most powerful moments for me is the scene in the Angel episode Reprise with Holland Manners, where they discuss the nature of humanity and hell. Especially the punchline “If there wasn’t evil in every single one of them out there — why, they wouldn’t be people. They’d all be angels.” Which is like a philosophical gut punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiYR9PsmXc

And then Angel and Darla’s moment — the ultimate despair. And Angel’s epiphany the next episode about “if nothing matters, all that matters is what we do.”
        Last edited by PuckRobin; 16-07-21, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Interesting to link Spike's absence as playing its part in Buffy's press to accept things are different and change her outlook to better interact in her own life at the end of S6 American Aurora .

PuckRobin , Angel certainly takes what Holland Manners says badly!

One of the most heartbreaking moments of the whole show for me became so much more intense after reading StateOfSiege97 's incredible review of The Body. My appreciation for Dawn's experience and the impact of the loss of Joyce, the use of negative space in the episode, really built into the scene where she finds out. The choice to have the scene shot from an observer's perspective and seeing her speaking to Buffy without knowing the exact words but just the utter grief in her collapse is amazingly emotional. Coming to appreciate that moment more really did add to how I viewed the character and Michelle Trachtenberg's performance.

Comment

I agree that certain moments are some of the most memorable and heart wrenching - Joyce's death, Tara's death, and Willow's descent into darkness. The scene with Angel on the elevator isn't as immediately shocking, but it's also sad.

I recall two other scenes that I can't get out of my mind - Xander abandoning Anya at the altar in Hell's Bells to wander around in the rain and Spike falling to his knees while crying his heart out over Buffy's death at the end of The Gift. Both of them were heart-breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Tabby View Post
              I recall two other scenes that I can't get out of my mind - Xander abandoning Anya at the altar in Hell's Bells to wander around in the rain and Spike falling to his knees while crying his heart out over Buffy's death at the end of The Gift. Both of them were heart-breaking.
              The scene of Xander wandering outside in the rain as his self doubts pull him apart is a great example of something that affected me differently later on. When I first watched the show I wasn't very interested in Xander as a character. But S8 really started to change my view of him, I began to notice the journey and changes in him. Coming on here and discussing the character, being influenced hugely by Sosa lola 's love for him, really made me start to see him differently. So on my first rewatch, seeing the whole play out of the abusive childhood he had so negatively affecting him in S6, knowing then where it was all going, made that scene of his isolation and internal despair so much more affecting for me. It also made all the moments of Anya's heartfelt joy at becoming a Mrs and feeling that she'd found a place for herself so much sadder too.

Comment

Working...
              X