Owen vs Collin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owen vs Collin

Both these characters are introduced in S1's Never Kill A Boy on the First Date. We get to know Owen a lot more in that specific episode than we do Collin, but it's his only appearance and across S1 overall we get to see a lot more of Collin of course.

In watching reactors I've seen that even if people seem intrigued by the twist and reveal of Collin as The Anointed One at the end of NKABOTFD, that initial interest tends to wane. He seems notoriously disliked in the end. Most of fandom talks of finding him frustrating and most reactors I've watched are wishing he'd exited with The Master at the end of the first season (even if they do enjoy his actual exit). But I have been surprised to see some reactors actively disliking Owen throughout his single appearance in S1 too.

I think there was some scope with Collin and he was actually quite interesting, if a little underused. I wish that they'd had him go into gameface at least once and made more of his obvious involvement in the TV room in Prophecy Girl (going by the small bloody hand print on the TV). But perhaps it didn't work so well on a child and they were wary of how 'dark' to show him. I don't know. But I would have appreciated seeing some power from him that warranted him taking leadership after The Master was gone. I do feel the potential is there though.

Owen is interesting greatly for how the different individuals in the school social hierarchy respond to him. He's seen as nerdy and boring to some but also good looking, sensitive and potential date material to others. His withdrawal and reticence to engage, often while being quite openly critical and judgmental of others, is then contradicted by his later desire to head out again and start to live a life with adrenaline thrills. I like the character but I'm not sure I see as much potential as Collin had, even if it was pretty unrealised.

I see strengths and weaknesses in both. Which character do you prefer?
    Owen
    60.00%
    Collin (The Anointed One)
    40.00%

I prefer Owen by far. I think he's exactly the sort of guy Buffy would go for. He is a loner, into poetry and has a specific aesthetic. He's also physically tall and broad and reminds me a little of Riley.

I enjoy his episode and to be honest I never understood why he finding fighting enjoyable is any different to Xander's often dangerous behaviour. But I do like that the show is saying Buffy can never have this sort of normal relationship with a normal guy, so setting up Buffy's life for the next 7 years. Poor Owen, you were gone too soon in my opinion.

I also like that all of Buffy's human partners have two last names, Owen, Scott and Parker. I wonder what Whedon was trying to say with that?

Comment

• TimeTravellingBunny
      TimeTravellingBunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing probably, a lot of characters in American TV shows have first names that could also be last names.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I prefer Owen by far. I think he's exactly the sort of guy Buffy would go for. He is a loner, into poetry and has a specific aesthetic. He's also physically tall and broad and reminds me a little of Riley.

I enjoy his episode and to be honest I never understood why he finding fighting enjoyable is any different to Xander's often dangerous behaviour. But I do like that the show is saying Buffy can never have this sort of normal relationship with a normal guy, so setting up Buffy's life for the next 7 years. Poor Owen, you were gone too soon in my opinion.

I also like that all of Buffy's human partners have two last names, Owen, Scott and Parker. I wonder what Whedon was trying to say with that?
    I thought the same thing about Owen. I don't see anything he does as particularly dangerous or more risky than anything the rest of the gang does.

Comment

I think his desire to risk his life, that it gave him a thrill, is different to the others. They put themselves in danger but it is more driven by the wish to help and fight against the dangers others face. There was a glee and energy to Owen when he was talking about going out again that sounded like he'd take risks to welcome danger. Talking of going into town and starting a fight.

What surprised me about the couple of negative reactions I've seen to him is how annoyed the viewers were by what he was saying all the way through. I've never really viewed his comments as problematic before but I can see how his sweeping generalisation about girls who want to date could irritate.

I really like NKABOTFD too Priceless . I think the mix of what people expect of others against what the truth turns out to be is a classic theme in the show and tends to work well. I find Angel's reactions to Buffy's date really funny too and Cordelia's initial response to Angel works so well for the continuation into AtS.

I think that I like Collin more though. I'm not sure if it isn't for the potential I saw in the character rather than the execution though. But I didn't dislike Owen. The things that I've seen people bring up against him I might have rolled my eyes at at most, but didn't really think much of. He was just a teen that was pretty unsure of himself and intrigued by Buffy. I get that.

Comment

I found Collin very one note. It could have been the age of the actor, but his emotions and reactions were all the same. I agree the thought of a child leading Buffy to her death is very dramatic and could have been exciting, but the way it was done left a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I found Collin very one note. It could have been the age of the actor, but his emotions and reactions were all the same. I agree the thought of a child leading Buffy to her death is very dramatic and could have been exciting, but the way it was done left a lot to be desired.
          I think they went for him being cold and almost disinterested in an attempt for it jarring dramatically with him being a child. Lines like, "I'd annihilate her" delivered very dead pan in response to The Master wondering what to do about Buffy in Angel is a good example. Particularly as it is paired with a seemingly child-like pursuit of him tossing stones into the pool. Taking Buffy's hand in Prophecy Girl as they walk. I think moments like these are there to be unnerving. I like the idea of them well enough, even if the actor doesn't always pull them off as well as could have happened. His, 'I hate that girl" at the end of When She Was Bad always makes me smile. So, I can agree the execution isn't great, but I enjoy the idea and the potential of what they were trying to do enough to prefer him as a character concept over Owen.

But I do think how they use Owen is interesting and he's in a good episode. So I can understand the disappointments with Collin not managing to beat him for others.

Comment

Working...
          X