Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did no one but Anya motivate Xander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did no one but Anya motivate Xander?

Xander literally was in the exact classes Willow, Buffy, and Cordelia were. He's taking Trigonometry when a sophomore (http://offline.buffy.de/www.buffywor.../01_tran.shtml), he has a good vocabulary and it seems his low SAT score is likely because of complete lack of study and motivation. And it seems that he never asked Willow to help him study for the SATs.

There seems no good reason why Xander didn't go to UC Sunnydale other than Xander simply considered people 'like him' don't go to college.

The reason Xander became financially successful is because Anya pushed him to become financially successful; without her, he might have continued to live in his parents' basement until they died.

Being with the materialistic Cordelia, wanting to be with the upper middle class Buffy, and seeing Cordelia's interest in the apparently upper class Wesley didn't motivate Xander to become financially successful.

It seems clear that no one pushed Xander to study magic, do combat training, etc.

To be somewhat fair, the other Scoobies were self-motivated, but it seems odd that Xander didn't receive motivation from anyone but Anya.

Even Season 9 shows Xander regressing.
    Spoiler:
    With Dawn, Xander no longer seems financially motivated and his construction industry career is largely nonexistent.

That's not true.

Xander: Why do I need to learn this?
    Willow: 'Cause otherwise you'll flunk math?
    Xander: Explain the part where that's bad.
    Willow: You remember, you fail math, you flunk out of school, you end up being the guy at the pizza place that sweeps the floor and says, 'Hey, kids, where's the cool parties this weekend?' We've been through this. Do you have a headache?

Xander: Let's see. I gotta take a make-up chem test at three. And then I'm meetin' some of the guys for plasma transfusions at five. It's turned into quite the busy afternoon.
    Buffy: The fun never stops with you, does it?
    Willow: Giles seems pretty confident that the treatments are gonna work.
    Xander: Well, turning into a creepy-crawly wasn't on my top ten list of things to do before I turn twenty.
    Cordelia:I want you to know that you've really proven yourself to me. And you don't have to join the new team next year if you don't want. I'd be just as happy if you played football.

It seems clear that no one pushed Xander to study magic, do combat training, etc.
    Why would they? Xander kicks ass.
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 31-07-17, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Anya nags Xander to buy an apartment, but the success Xander receives at work was all Xander.
      Made by Trickyboxes
      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Working...
      X