• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PuckRobin
    Rogue Scholar
    • Feb 2015

New Employees for Angel Investigations

Which characters would you like to have seen joining Angel Investigations?

I guess the most obvious one would have been Faith. Certainly she fit right into Angel's world with her guest appearances. Her redemption arc would be a good match. And obviously she had some good fighting skills.

Another obvious one would have been Kate. I wonder if that was the ultimate plan for the character, if she had worked out and if the actress had wanted to stay with the series. Having an ex-cop as a PI is an obvious trope.

Heck, there even was already an ex-cop who works with vampires - Vicky Nelson in Tanya Huff's novels beginning with Blood Price. Nelson had to retire from the force due to visual impairment, she worked as a PI and teamed up with vampire Henry Fitzroy - illegitimate son of Henry VIII and modern-day romance writer, (I enjoyed the books. Never saw more than a few second of the Blood Ties TV version.)

Kate would have been able to get them past police barriers, etc.

David Nabbit who appeared in three episodes could have been source of cash, computer know-how and geeky humour. Maybe a touch of what Andrew eventually brought.

???????
  • American Aurora
    Slayer
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
    Which characters would you like to have seen joining Angel Investigations?

I guess the most obvious one would have been Faith. Certainly she fit right into Angel's world with her guest appearances. Her redemption arc would be a good match. And obviously she had some good fighting skills.

Another obvious one would have been Kate. I wonder if that was the ultimate plan for the character, if she had worked out and if the actress had wanted to stay with the series. Having an ex-cop as a PI is an obvious trope.

Heck, there even was already an ex-cop who works with vampires - Vicky Nelson in Tanya Huff's novels beginning with Blood Price. Nelson had to retire from the force due to visual impairment, she worked as a PI and teamed up with vampire Henry Fitzroy - illegitimate son of Henry VIII and modern-day romance writer, (I enjoyed the books. Never saw more than a few second of the Blood Ties TV version.)

Kate would have been able to get them past police barriers, etc.

David Nabbit who appeared in three episodes could have been source of cash, computer know-how and geeky humour. Maybe a touch of what Andrew eventually brought.
    Those are all great choices. But honestly? I kinda lean towards the show's producers who wanted Anthony Stewart Head to appear in Angel Season Five. If Buffy hadn't continued after The Gift, I can see his character moving to Southern California at some point.

I can imagine Giles quitting the Counsel and moving to LA to work with Angel to rid the world of Wolfram and Hart after Buffy's death in Season Five. The antagonism and sheer bitchiness between them would have been tremendously entertaining and I can see the clash between the older watcher and Wesley immediately. The dark side of Giles' character also fits the more noir-ish feel of the Angel TV series. Ripper (and his antagonist Ethan Rayne) would fit right in with the shadowy LA atmosphere.

And as one of the strongest actors on BtVS, I think that the clash between the very different but effective acting styles of Head and Boreanaz would have created a nice subtle tension.

Plus, Giles still resents Angel for what happened with Jenny, adding intense unspoken sub-textual guilt to the brew.
    Last edited by American Aurora; 09-01-21, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Stoney
      Well Spiked
      • Aug 2011

Aside from Faith, who I agree would definitely have been great as a permanent member of the team, I can see Giles working too, although I can't see him being told what to do by Angel or Wesley, so I'm not sure how they'd settle that. Having Ethan show up would have been fun in AtS. I felt that Nabbit was a lost opportunity and would have liked to have seen his appearances reoccur a bit.

I wondered about Amy being brought into it as someone looking for redemption and needing to do it away from Sunnydale like Faith. It would have brought a magical element to AtS but then I think it would have just felt like they were trying to duplicate the BtVS group formula.

I think Giles and Faith are my favourite suggestions.

Comment

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooh, I like Amy as an addition. She would have been great!
    • PuckRobin
      Rogue Scholar
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
      I can imagine Giles quitting the Counsel and moving to LA to work with Angel to rid the world of Wolfram and Hart after Buffy's death in Season Five. The antagonism and sheer bitchiness between them would have been tremendously entertaining and I can see the clash between the older watcher and Wesley immediately. The dark side of Giles' character also fits the more noir-ish feel of the Angel TV series. Ripper (and his antagonist Ethan Rayne) would fit right in with the shadowy LA atmosphere.

And as one of the strongest actors on BtVS, I think that the clash between the very different but effective acting styles of Head and Boreanaz would have created a nice subtle tension.

Plus, Giles still resents Angel for what happened with Jenny, adding intense unspoken sub-textual guilt to the brew.
      That's a great suggestion, although I imagine Giles's resignation letter sitting atop of a pile of ashes. I guess there were some Watchers Emeritus like Wesley's dad that were trying to reform the Council. I can imagine Giles offering Andrew as his replacement to the Council 2.0 as his replacement, kind of an FU to his old employers.

I love how this would create an interesting mirror of double-acts. On one side you have the Older Vampire Angel and the Younger Ex-Watcher Wesley and on the other you have the Older Ex-Watcher Giles and the Young Vampire Spike.

Then again, maybe it wouldn't pan out that way? Giles did participate in Robin Wood's murder plan. Wesley did take Angel's son. Spike tortured Angel. Angel tortured Spike.

Maybe Angel's team needed a psychiatrist. .... I guess the closest living cast member to a psychiatrist is Riley Finn. He was a psyche major, hard as it was to believe.

Comment

• American Aurora
        Editing a comment
        Ha - Riley Finn, Demon Psychiatrist - sounds like a spin-off.

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        Seconded for Riley finn demon psychiatrist lol

• American Aurora
        Editing a comment
        He took on the job after Sam left him for a chaos demon! LOL!
    • Nina
      and her haircut.
      • Nov 2007

If there would be a s6, my dream cast would be:

Angel, Wesley, Gunn, Fred, Faith and Gwen. Spike is optional, depending on how he is written. There is a lot of potential. Connor should be a recurring character and maybe Anne as well (but more as a part of an arc for Gunn and not as a member of AI).

I've mentioned before why I think that Faith is a better fit for Ats: her relation with Wes, her relation with Angel, how well she fits the Ats themes and the freedom to break away from being the other slayer.

And I think it would be interesting to see her with Gwen, a character who mildly resembles the old Faith. Let Gwen be the temptation and the mirror. At the same time Gwen also mirrors Angel. The lone and untouched wolf who is shunned by the pack because they are different/a freak. It would be interesting to see them interact more. And if I had to pick, I would like it if she would be more comfortable with that isolation.

In the earlier seasons I would've enjoyed a bit more soulled Darla I think. Just her hanging out with the team and helping them solve one or two cases. The Angel and Darla dynamic fascinates me because it's so different from all his other relations. She is older than him, stronger than him and just as smart. She doesn't see him as this odd bigger than life figure who is terribly out of place. She doesn't expect him to be the adult in the room and doesn't project daddy issues on him. Which makes her a unique character in Angel's life. I suspect he is a bit less alone when she is around.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
        Slayer
        • Mar 2011

I could see Robin Wood joining the team.
        https://youtube.com/@DoubleDutchess

Comment

• vampmogs
          Slayer Supporter
          • May 2007

Ohh Giles is interesting. That had never occurred to me before but they do have a fascinating relationship and he would have been a great addition.

The thing is, Giles absolutely resents and distrusts Angel over Jenny and his torture in Becoming but at the same time he rather likes and respects him as a person. Pre-Innocence they had a really pleasant rapport with mutual respect (they even share a laugh in Surprise) and Giles is even openly supportive of B/A (he suggests Buffy could spend some time with Angel in Lie to Me). I think it's even implied that Angel leaving Buffy in S3 won him further respect as in LMPTM Giles says that "Angel knew how harmful your relationship was" and has "self-awareness." So I always found the tension between them Post-S2 pretty interesting because it's not a personality clash at all but rather just the fallout from S2. Had that not happened, Giles and Angel would be friends. It would be interesting to see how that would have developed if they had been around each other more.

Plus I did like the Giles/Wes dynamic as it progressed in S3 (Giles goes to check on him in Graduation Day and almost sounds like he's developed a bit of.. affection.. for him when he amusingly states he's going to check he's not still whimpering) and it would be interesting to see Giles and AtS Cordy interact as their team-ups in BtVS S2/S3 were fun too.

Other than Giles, Faith and Kate are the big ones for me. Faith works well in AtS and I love her friendship with Angel and where she left things with both Wes and Gunn in AtS S4. I'm also a fan of Kate and I would have liked to see her establish a relationship with characters other than Angel as his interactions with Cordy and Wes were very minimal. AtS also needed more female characters.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• Stoney
            Well Spiked
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            And I think it would be interesting to see her with Gwen, a character who mildly resembles the old Faith. Let Gwen be the temptation and the mirror. At the same time Gwen also mirrors Angel. The lone and untouched wolf who is shunned by the pack because they are different/a freak. It would be interesting to see them interact more. And if I had to pick, I would like it if she would be more comfortable with that isolation.
            Gwen's never been a favourite character of mine but I did like her interactions with Angel and reflection of isolation. Seeing her and Faith together would be very interesting.

I love your points about Darla and agree the dynamic between her and Angel is very different from how he is with everyone else.

vampmogs I really like Kate's character too but I'm not sure integration with the AtS gang wouldn't lose something in why she's interesting as a human reflection of Angel that is trying to find her place. I can see it working if it was a spring board to her then leaving to go and do something elsewhere, a way to become more sure/comfortable with the supernatural world. You could then have some great return episodes and times when they need to call on her still (depending on what she went on to do obviously).

Comment

• vampmogs
              Slayer Supporter
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              vampmogs I really like Kate's character too but I'm not sure integration with the AtS gang wouldn't lose something in why she's interesting as a human reflection of Angel that is trying to find her place. I can see it working if it was a spring board to her then leaving to go and do something elsewhere, a way to become more sure/comfortable with the supernatural world. You could then have some great return episodes and times when they need to call on her still (depending on what she went on to do obviously).
              I definitely think it would take her character in a completely new direction but I think it could be an equally interesting direction. Seeing Kate come face-to-face with characters like Lorne and places like Caritas would have been really interesting. I also think it would be pretty interesting to see her work with AtS considering they so frequently break the law without even thinking about it and the difficulty she'd have in doing that given her previous dedication to being a cop. I really liked how her letting Angel go in Reunion came back to cost her, her job in Reprise so more of that stuff would be great for me.

I also agree with both you and Nina about Darla. Given her age and knowledge she could be to the group what Anya could have been had they taken her in a more serious direction in BtVS. And, yes, I also love her dynamic with Angel as there really is nothing else like it in the Buffyverse. I always describe them as the Buffyverse's version of a 'divorced couple.'

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• Nina
                and her haircut.
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

Gwen's never been a favourite character of mine but I did like her interactions with Angel and reflection of isolation. Seeing her and Faith together would be very interesting.
                Me wanting Gwen as a member is mostly about potential IMO. Her unique skills and background can add something to the team. And her character will cause friction, but that doesn't have to be bad if it's written well. But if she is just dropped in the team and the writers have little time for her, I think it will fall flat. It would be even worse if they make her a Cordelia, but without the heart. Which is a risk.

And now my OU in this thread ( ): It would be nice to see Giles away from his duty as a father-figure. See what else is there to explore with the character and I think that it's good for him to see Angel and Wesley again, adapt to who they are now. And hanging out with AI and fighting the kind of villains they fight, might also change his view on certain things.

But I don't think AI needs Giles. Wesley no longer needs the confirmation or have a relation with an older watcher like that. Angel already had his arc with Holtz. If Giles would show up with his grudges after s3, he is simply too late. Cordy is dead. Spike and Giles were both recently together on BtVS and I'm not sure being on Ats changes things enough for some new insights. And none of the other characters know Giles. The team as a whole doesn't need another watcher either. They have Wesley, Fred and Angel on board for research. Nearly all of them are better fighters than Giles and the group dynamic doesn't really need a father-figure. So what is the point of having Giles?

Honestly, I can see Giles being around for a few episodes. That would be really nice, but not as a main character.

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it could possibly be more developmental for him. Perhaps for all the reasons you list it would be a very different environment for him.
              • BtVS fan
                Banned
                • Jan 2019

I wish we had a Buffy appearance post Sanctuary and post Chosen but I guess that wasn't meant to be.
                I'd also would've liked more of the Damage Andrew. The double crossing manipulator rather than TGIQ Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X