Moist of Lipwig's take on Angel's redemption arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moist of Lipwig's take on Angel's redemption arc

You probably wonder who Moist of Lipwig is after seeing the thread title. They are a Tumblr user and I encountered their take on Angel's redemption arc recently. The meta can be read here.

Personally I don't agree with all things stated and some of the examples are debatable. But what I really like about it, is that the writer made me rethink about what Minear was doing with the character Angel. Moist of Lipwig argues that Angel wants redemption for being a bad father/creating monsterous 'kids' instead of the vague 'everything bad he ever done' stuff. Minear started his tour the force with the episodes Somnambulist and The Prodigal and ended with Home. The two s1 episodes are episodes about sons fighting their dominant father forever and without a victory. While Home is about a father killing his son in order to set the son free.

That is an arc.

I might be the slowest person of this forum, but I always mistook Benediction as the final episode of Angel's arc. Angel's conversation with Holtz was such a natural ending for the arc set up in BtVS. But I missed that Minear redefined the redemption arc and that his version still needed a resolution after Benediction. Of course I picked up on the whole father/son theme, but I never linked it to the redemption arc or that Home is a crucial final episode for Minear and his Angel arc.

I haven't read the link yet so am just thinking of the genearl idea and I think it ties well with Spike's inclusion in AtS 5 too and Angel's role in his past for him to help him in working through the positive potential he can have in his future. It's definitely an interesting angle to look at AtS/Angel's arc from.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      I haven't read the link yet so am just thinking of the genearl idea and I think it ties well with Spike's inclusion in AtS 5 too and Angel's role in his past for him to help him in working through the positive potential he can have in his future.
      I was thinking the same thing. It's such a pity that Minear left Ats for good after s4, because Angel/Spike would've been an interesting chapter in this arc.

Comment

Sounds like the arc could be carried into Not Fade Away with Angel making peace with Connor, and coming to some kind of terms with problem grandchild / kid brother Spike..

Comment

Working...
        X