Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kate, what are people's thoughts on the character ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate, what are people's thoughts on the character ?

Title says it all.
    Good idea/Bad idea or good idea just badly executed or bad idea well executed ?
    Obviously we know she left after Epiphany as the Actress got another Job. Though I have read she was initially thought of for the Jasmine Arc in S3 though I can't see that working well with the audience at all imo.

So what do people think of the character Id love to know

Kate is not unlike Connor IMO, they ended up as antagonists before the audience had the chance to warm up to them. And they didn't do it in a cool or fun way. Which probably explains why the characters are unpopular. Can't say I was a huge fan of Kate (or Connor) when I watched Ats for the first time either. She was a force of negativity nearly every single time she popped up on my screen.

But I do think that she was a good character. Most characters either know about the supernatural already when we meet them for the first time or take it extremely well. For Kate it was a negative experience and she behaves how you would expect a human to behave when their life is derailed by forces they can't control. Her father was murdered by vampires and not long after that she lost her job because of the many supernatural cases. It destroyed her life and it's good we see that part for once. It gives depth to the world that we also see people like Kate or Connor.

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      In the case of Connor we know even the Actor was frustrated with his character, have we ever heard anything similar from ER

I thought Kate was very dull when I was younger and that she clashed tonally with the rest of the series (Elisabeth plays her as if she's right out of a cop procedural show). However, the older I get and the more times I rewatch AtS the more I really like her. I like that they subverted expectations of having her be Angel's love interest (whether that was planned from the beginning or they simply changed their minds I am not sure) and whilst it was unfair to blame Angel for her father's death, I think she was pretty justified in her anger towards him in S2. I really liked that letting Angel go free in Reunion cost Kate her job when he repaid her by letting Darla and Dru massacre the lawyers. Kate's anger and pain really resonated with me. My heart also absolutely breaks for her when she's fired in such a harsh way (the comment about her father).

My biggest disappointment is that she just left so abruptly in S2. I get that the writers has no real choice as Elisabeth scored a full time gig on Law & Order and her last scene with Angel is possibly one of the best of the entire series. However, I wish they'd managed to include that she was saying goodbye as I don't think that's clear at all and we randomly find out in a later episode that she's gone in a passing comment. It feels underwhelming after she was a big part of the series for the first 2 seasons.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
      I thought Kate was very dull when I was younger and that she clashed tonally with the rest of the series (Elisabeth plays her as if she's right out of a cop procedural show). However, the older I get and the more times I rewatch AtS the more I really like her. I like that they subverted expectations of having her be Angel's love interest (whether that was planned from the beginning or they simply changed their minds I am not sure) and whilst it was unfair to blame Angel for her father's death, I think she was pretty justified in her anger towards him in S2. I really liked that letting Angel go free in Reunion cost Kate her job when he repaid her by letting Darla and Dru massacre the lawyers. Kate's anger and pain really resonated with me. My heart also absolutely breaks for her when she's fired in such a harsh way (the comment about her father).

My biggest disappointment is that she just left so abruptly in S2. I get that the writers has no real choice as Elisabeth scored a full time gig on Law & Order and her last scene with Angel is possibly one of the best of the entire series. However, I wish they'd managed to include that she was saying goodbye as I don't think that's clear at all and we randomly find out in a later episode that she's gone in a passing comment. It feels underwhelming after she was a big part of the series for the first 2 seasons.
      You make a good point about how the actress played the character. Though to be fair given the shows original Detective procedural tone, that was probably intentional.

The throughaway line was in Dead End, Angel mentions they don't have a Detective on the Force anymore and that's pretty much it, she is never mentioned ever again. Even Doyle got more of a remembrance.

At the time I think they were looking at maybe doing a Kate/Angel relationship but backed down due to the hostility of B/A shippers to it. Though they could've gone back to it once the series was more established and IWRY had enough time gap for shippers to be over from. Its hard to describe to people now how huge B/A was (only B/S matched it) . Its why Buffy is still kissing Angel in End of Days. Poor Kate never really had a chance against it. Though personally I thought they had good chemistry and would've worked better than Cangel.

Comment

I really like Kate (and Connor is one of my favourite characters ).

I think that Kate was played against Angel's developments really well as we watched him trying to find a place between the demon and human world, questioning his own humanity and the goodness or evil in people too. Kate was simultaneously thrust into the same situation in reverse and I think it worked well. The ways that they reflect each other and the struggles we see between Angel and his father and Kate and hers are nice touches. I believe in their draw towards each other, they are working in similar roles and facing similar struggles. I'm glad the dynamic didn't turn romantic, but the potential for them having been closer and helping each other more but the ways in which events and circumstances, as well as their own issues stopped that happening is intriguing. For variety it is a complicated relationship that I think is used in interesting ways.

I do agree that it would have been nice if her exit had been flagged a little more though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          I really like Kate (and Connor is one of my favourite characters ).

I think that Kate was played against Angel's developments really well as we watched him trying to find a place between the demon and human world, questioning his own humanity and the goodness or evil in people too. Kate was simultaneously thrust into the same situation in reverse and I think it worked well. The ways that they reflect each other and the struggles we see between Angel and his father and Kate and hers are nice touches. I believe in their draw towards each other, they are working in similar roles and facing similar struggles. I'm glad the dynamic didn't turn romantic, but the potential for them having been closer and helping each other more but the ways in which events and circumstances, as well as their own issues stopped that happening is intriguing. For variety it is a complicated relationship that I think is used in interesting ways.

I do agree that it would have been nice if her exit had been flagged a little more though.
          I disagree, Kate had no bearing on Angels developments whatsoever. She was just the lady who gave him exposition info for the case of the week and then who decided to blame him for her Father's death. No of which had any bearing on Angel himself.

Comment

I didn't say she had a bearing on his developments in the sense of direct actions, but his dealing with her was part of his wider journey in the early seasons, so in that sense I think she represented a lot of it. As he did for her. For me, watching the two of them dealing with the reverse of each other's situation was interesting. Kate was trying to come to terms with finding out about the demon world and how she might interact with Angel as a representation of that world. Kate played a similar role for Angel. But with him it was alongside the interactions he was having with his team, who played a far more active role in connecting him to humanity. But we then saw how that played out against his interactions with Kate, the times he supported her and the times he misused her help.

The struggles they both had was a disservice to the other at points but the similarities of their positions (as well as their jobs and how they handled those) was interesting. Links like their daddy issues, again, just an interesting layer. I think Kate was intended to reflect Angel in the human world and narratively I think it was an interesting element when we're watching Angel trying to find a place and build a purpose for himself that was greatly about his connections to humanity.

Comment

I'm afraid I never really took to her. She just came across as a mixture of irritating and boring to me. Was glad to see the back of her sadly.

Comment

Working...
              X