No announcement yet.

What is your opinion of Cangel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on Tumblr, mainly to repost other peoples stuff and try and keep the old fandom alive on there. But I have to say I think when it comes to debate the place is pure poison.

Also the format of tumblr can be confusing, and not set up to make communicating between people easy. I think It's rubbish myself and go only knows why it caught on in the first place. The only thing Its really good for is uploading images and gifs.

Comment

I joined Tumblr ages ago, though I don't go on there very often, mainly because I can't figure out how to get the best from it. Are you Silver1 on there? I'll follow you, though I don't really know what that means

Comment

I'm just silverspike on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          I'm on Tumblr, mainly to repost other peoples stuff and try and keep the old fandom alive on there. But I have to say I think when it comes to debate the place is pure poison.

Also the format of tumblr can be confusing, and not set up to make communicating between people easy. I think It's rubbish myself and go only knows why it caught on in the first place. The only thing Its really good for is uploading images and gifs.
          I agree that the format is not the best for discussion. I was very unhappy when Livejournal fell out of fashion and Tumblr rose into prominence, as Livejournal had a format much more suited for discussion.

Although Tumblr is a bit better now that there's the "reply" feature where you can reply to a post without reblogging it. But there are still some annoying glitches, like the fact that sometimes, when you reblog a post with your own comment, the "notes" section to the original post only shows that you've reblogged it, but not that you commented on it, which makes it less likely that your comment will be read as people checking the original post won't be aware it's even there (this usually happens when the original post is a reply to an Ask). Another problem is that it's often not at all clear, from the Notes to a post that has a lot of reblogs and comments on it, how many people 'liked' the original post, and how many 'liked' one of the reblog-comments (which is a problem when people reblog something and comment to show their disagreement).

On the other hand, Tumblr is perfect for images and gifs, but it's also pretty good for writing longer articles, possibly with images and gifs - kind of like what we used to do on Livejournal. (You can't really do that on Facebook, and you definitely can't do it on Twitter or Instagram or whatever else is popular now.) It's just that you need to reblog something if you want more people to see your reply to it (you can just reply, but then the people who follow you won't necessarily see it - replies are a good feature when you don't want to make a big deal out of something or feature it on your profile).

As for the atmosphere - yes, there are absolutely ridiculous people on Tumblr. I've seen an awful amount of nonsense there. There are too many ignorant kids who are trying to show how they're oh so woke and engage in a lot of rants and virtue-signaling, there's a lot of groupthink that happens as a result of people reblogging or liking posts without giving them much thought. But I don't like it when people paint everything with one brush - there's also a lot of very smart, thoughtful people who write great articles, and there are some good discussions. You just need to be careful who you are following - and, for the love of all that's holy, never, never go a tag search! Nothing good is likely to come out of it.

Also, it's not just Tumblr that can be like that, it's like that on pretty much any social media - I've seen similar or worse stuff on Twitter, Youtube or Facebook (the latter especially in Facebook profiles of popular TV shows etc.). Twitter in particular can be awful - I think it's the shortness of the tweets that encourages short, stupid comments without much thought. And I've learned the hard way never to do a Twitter tag search of random tweets, it's often even worse than Tumblr.

ETA: I'm Time Travelling Bunny (imagine that), http://travllingbunny.tumblr.com
          Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 24-01-18, 03:32 PM.
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I think I already follow you.

Part of the problem is a lot of misinformation can easily get spread around. Nobody ever seems to check the posts previous notes and so they just end up liking it and passing it along, like some crazy virus.
            Last edited by Silver1; 24-01-18, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Priceless i think you've converted me with your well thought out reasoning. I think the main thing I don't like about Cangel is Cordelia. As you are aware, I'm not a fan. I would have preferred Hangel (harmony) as I found Sparmony loads of fun. But yes, your a description of an adult relationship based on being friends does sound very romantic. If CC had not gotten pregnant I think things would have been very different.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                Priceless i think you've converted me with your well thought out reasoning. I think the main thing I don't like about Cangel is Cordelia. As you are aware, I'm not a fan. I would have preferred Hangel (harmony) as I found Sparmony loads of fun. But yes, your a description of an adult relationship based on being friends does sound very romantic. If CC had not gotten pregnant I think things would have been very different.
                Oh I would have loved Hangel, it would have been so funny. It could only happen in a nightmare world because I cannot imagine Harmony being remotely attracted to Angel, although looks-wise Harmony is his type. He's been nothing but mean to her through S5, and I hate that he (and everyone) treats her so badly.

- - - Updated - - -

Silver1 and TimeTravellingBunny I've followed you on Tumblr. I am a fan of Twitter and don't find it as bad as other social media sites. The shortness of tweets makes them more bearable for me then reading pages of vitriol on any other platform

Comment

Silver1 and TimeTravellingBunny I've followed you on Tumblr.
                  I'm there too... 👇
                  My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Comment

I'm following you too betta

Comment

Originally posted by betta View Post
                      I'm there too... ��
                      Yeah, I already follow you.

Comment

I would love to follow you Priceless on your Tumblr? my Tumblr link is under the tomb raider banner.

Comment

I am following you buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I am following you buffylover
                            I know this is going off topic.

Priceless what is your username just to make sure I followed you back?

Comment

My name on Tumblr is handlerlyon

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                My name on Tumblr is handlerlyon
                                I followed you on my main Tumblr!

Comment

I think that Angel X Cordelia makes sense and works in theory.

The problem was that in trying to make Angel and Cordelia a couple the writer's toned down Cordelia's more negative character trait's to the point where Cordelia became a boring character, plus this change in Cordelia's character didn't play to Charisma's strength's as an actress.
                                  My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
                                    I think that Angel X Cordelia makes sense and works in theory.

The problem was that in trying to make Angel and Cordelia a couple the writer's toned down Cordelia's more negative character trait's to the point where Cordelia became a boring character, plus this change in Cordelia's character didn't play to Charisma's strength's as an actress.
                                    Pretty much this. Frankly, Charisma just wasn't a strong enough actress to play the romantic lead and whenever they attempted to do dramatic scenes between Angel/Cordy it was often comically bad. Charisma's delivery of "I'm in love! With Annnggeeelll!" is probably the most horrendous and cringeworthy moment in the entire Buffyverse for me. Although, in all fairness, that was an absolutely terrible line anyway and even a strong actress would have struggled to deliver that well.

Charisma's strength as an actress was comedy and snark. It's why Angel/Cordy worked so well as friends because her humour balanced out his darker personality. In S2 I think they found a perfect balance between Cordy's heroism and her vain, superficial and snarky attitude, but by mid S3 the character's development gets seriously derailed and there seems to be a correlation between that and when they were trying to set her up as a love interest. What made them work as friends was pretty much abandoned to make them try and fit as lovers. The writers also committed the cardinal sin of telling 'telling not showing' by having Fred literally just announce that Angel and Cordy are perfect for each other and then, wham, suddenly they're in love.

I also disliked how the writers kept insisting that they were perfect for each other because they were such great heroes or "Champions" (I hate that word). They even had Lorne state that Cordy was too much of a hero and therefore "out of his league" but perfect for the "world's Champion" like Angel. It made them kind of an elitist pair and gave them a reputation that I didn't think they deserved, at least not more so than the other characters all around them. And having the season end with Cordy "Ascending" because she's so saintly and amazing was just... ugh. David Greenwalt needed to get his head out of his ass. People may hate S4 but at least you can be thankful that it retconned the hell out of that ridiculous storyline ("Yeah and Cordelia ascended to a Higher Being because she's such a pure and radiant saint... PLEASE").

They're my least favourite major relationship in the Buffyverse. I don't buy it and I never got the sense the writers were convinced about it either. I'd love to know more about what lead to the decision to try and pair them up together because it made for some really awkward writing and I always got the impression that there was some conflict behind the scenes. It's pretty much where AtS started going off track and, IMO, didn't really ever get back on track again until AtS S5.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

What I disliked the most about this ship is how Cordelia had to change drastically to be worthy of Angel. Plus, they were the best example of a great friendship between the opposite sex (like Xander/Willow). I wish they kept that. My favorite part of AtS that it didn't focus on relationships, but once they went there in S3 the show lost its charm. It worked better as four friends battling evil and their private lives are that: private. They don't date each other and they don't bring their significant others' to work.
                                      Made by Trickyboxes
                                      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I don't think Cordy changed to be suitable for Angel, I think she changed because all the circumstances in which she was living changed around her. She took on the visions, which had little to do with Angel, and its those that changed her more than anything. She opened herself up to be coming more a part of that world. I thought it was similar to Wesley, who changed through the show. I wonder if, because Cordy was a female, we don't see her growth as being linked to Angel and becoming a worthy love interest, while Wesley gets to grow and change and that's seen as organic because he's a male character. We don't say Wesely changed so he could become a love interest for Fred.

Comment

Yeah I agree. I've always hated that a few fans used to rip into the character and call her 'Saint Cordy' just because she,well, basically grew up. Embraced the good and had the courage to stick with it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X