Was Katrina Silber from Sunnydale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Katrina Silber from Sunnydale?

When I first watched Dead Things, I assumed that Katrina was from Sunnydale. But rewatching "I Was Made to Love You", I realized that Katrina and Warren met in another college in another town. So, was Katrina from Sunnydale originally?

Possibly. But if not, where was she from and how did the Trio kidnap her? We know Katrina met Warren at a Tech College in Dutton (in California, the town would be in the North Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area near Fairfield - think Napa Valley and the famous vineyards) and she came back to stay with his mother during their 2001 Spring break in Sunnydale. April followed them to Sunnydale (which is assumed to be somewhere in the Santa Barbara vicinity) and Katrina took off.

We don't see her again until Warren gets the boys together in their Villain-mobile and drives to a rather sophisticated bar - an interior that we never see in Sunndale - where we find Katrina drinking alone.

The scene plays as if Warren KNEW she would be there - and the rest was pretense so he didn't have to divulge his real purpose to Andrew and Jonathan. But where was this bar? Did the trio drive up to the San Francisco Bay Area where Warren knew Katrina would be? Did he leave a message on her phone/email pretending to be someone else and lured her there for drinks?

On Google maps, the road from Santa Barbara to Dutton would be pretty straight-forward - you'd take Highway 101 along the coast and make a straight beeline for the North Bay through SF itself. It's about 370 miles - depending on the time you drive, it would take 5-6 hours going full speed. Of course, we're talking magic here, so who knows if the Trio could somehow make it there faster. That seems a bit far-fetched, but then again, Warren might have asked Katrina to meet him somewhere farther down the coast - like Monterey or Santa Cruz (where Marti Noxon went to University of California) Which would make it only 3-4 hours.

I kinda like the idea of the Trio heading far out of town to do their mischief - assured that the Slayer won't catch them out-of-town and safe from anyone who might recognize Warren later on when a woman goes temporarily missing. But Warren makes it pretty clear that he has an idea in mind as to where they're going first.

WARREN: Gentlemen, the cerebral dampener is online. And with this baby, we can make any woman we desire our willing sex slave. I know just where to start. (Dead Things)
    After the Trio bring Katrina back to their lair and dress her up and then murder her with a bottle to the skull, they decide to take the heat off by making Buffy believe that she's responsible for the death. Spike dumps the body in the river and the police immediately find it and astonishingly identify her within the few minutes it takes for Buffy to bash Spike's head in. So how did they identify her so fast? Especially if she wasn't from Sunnydale?

It's possible that her fingerprints were on file somewhere - sure, she could have committed a crime, but she also might have worked for any federal agency for a time and they'd be on record. Or perhaps Warren deliberately placed her wallet on her body somewhere so that Buffy could be specifically blamed for her death?

This also brings up the question of why Warren would WANT Buffy to believe she'd killed Katrina - because in an inquest and trial, it would surely come out that Buffy found out who Katrina was and would realize her link to Warren. Which would naturally lead to Buffy realizing that she'd been set up. Or was this part of Warren's plan all along? Did he want Buffy to know who the real boss of Sunnydale was? Warren isn't the brightest bulb and he may have thought that was a brilliant idea. Or perhaps he thought Buffy would be so riddled with guilt that she'd be a target for blackmail? Perhaps he couldn't imagine Buffy turning herself in?

Katrina's 'chance' meeting with Warren - and her death isn't a big plot hole - but it's interesting to speculate on exactly what Warren was thinking at the time.

I think Warren turned up without Katrina expecting him at all. I think he was confident and cocky about knowing where she'd be so I think he just used his knowledge of her, possibly having stalked her some, to turn up in the right place. The point that it being out of town would have worked with their plans to kidnap someone is a fair one. I can definitely go with that.

I think that they honestly felt that the disorientation that Buffy was under would have her fully convinced that she had killed Katrina so she would just confess. It is daft to draw Buffy into it and give her the chance to make the connection, but I think it is illustrative of and in keeping with the increasing loss of control and steady unravelling that starts to happen with The Trio from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      I think Warren turned up without Katrina expecting him at all. I think he was confident and cocky about knowing where she'd be so I think he just used his knowledge of her, possibly having stalked her some, to turn up in the right place. The point that it being out of town would have worked with their plans to kidnap someone is a fair one. I can definitely go with that.

I think that they honestly felt that the disorientation that Buffy was under would have her fully convinced that she had killed Katrina so she would just confess. It is daft to draw Buffy into it and give her the chance to make the connection, but I think it is illustrative of and in keeping with the increasing loss of control and steady unravelling that starts to happen with The Trio from here.
      Yes, it’s such a weird plot. One would think Warren would put two and two together and realize that Buffy would immediately suspect him. But maybe he felt that it would somehow also unconsciously act as a warning to Buffy as to who was the real Big Bad in town. Dunno.

Comment

Warren definitely had a lot of ego at play and we see his delight in taking on the Scoobies at varying points when he's confident. It tends to be cockiness when his plans were going well though. So I can see that perhaps subconsciously he wanted Buffy to know that he'd killed a girl and was getting away with it. But the very act of what they do with Buffy in trying to pass on the murder of Katrina does suggest he's deliberately trying to not be linked. I think it works better to be a mix of maybe that wish to brag and tell his nemesis what he's done while also panicking a little at the same time.

EDIT: Although having said that, his plans don't have to be going well do they. The whole confrontation in Buffy's yard that results in Tara being killed is Warren becoming more unhinged but determined to butt heads against Buffy and try to dominate.

Comment

I like the idea that Warren did came up with the “frame Buffy” scheme more as a calling card and sold it to his dim cohorts as something else. I could see him doing that.

Because otherwise, yes, there’s no way Buffy wouldn’t figure out their involvement after this. Whereas so many people go missing in Sunnydale due to vampires, etc that I don’t even know if they’d have even registered reports of Katrina’s death or disappearance otherwise.

Comment

It's just pretty amazing to me that the Sunnydale police are able to identify her dead body so quickly - unless Warren left something to tip them off on purpose.

If Katrina wasn't from Sunnydale to begin with, the mystery deepens even more.

Then again, there are so many dead bodies in Sunnydale that it boggles the mind that the police department even has one person left.

I'm tempted to think they're actually demons trained by the Mayor to keep the peace and have some kind of natural emphatic ability to sense a person's identity so the morgue can be emptied quickly.

Comment

It isn't likely to have been her family reporting her missing and contacting Sunnydale because of her history there because you would expect that to have taken the police to Warren. So perhaps in their panic they redressed her and left some ID on her unwittingly. Although, how connected are police missing person databases? Is it feasible that a missing person report in LA could be accessible on an automatic nationwide database perhaps? It makes sense to make missing person lists open across states even.

Comment

Working...
              X