Positives and Negatives - S5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positives and Negatives - S5

Just as with the previous seasons' threads, this is just for fun.

Taking one episode a day, try(!!) to choose one thing about the episode that you think is positive and one thing that is negative. They don't have to be big things about the story, plots, characters (although they can be), more superficial observations are also very welcome and may bring up some variety.

Feel free to comment/discuss any thoughts posted too (and also to join in ad hoc or play catch up too if you miss a day or so and want to).

--

Day 1 - Buffy vs Dracula
    Day 2 - Real Me
    Day 3 - The Replacement
    Day 4 - Out of My Mind
    Day 5 - No Place Like Home
    Day 6 - Family
    Day 7 - Fool for Love
    Day 8 - Shadow
    Day 9 - Listening to Fear
    Day 10 - Into the Woods
    Day 11 - Triangle
    Day 12 - Checkpoint
    Day 13 - Blood Ties
    Day 14 - Crush
    Day 15 - I Was Made to Love You
    Day 16 - The Body
    Day 17 - Forever
    Day 18 - Intervention
    Day 19 - Tough Love
    Day 20 - Spiral
    Day 21 - The Weight of the World
    Day 22 - The Gift

Buffy VS Dracula

Positives: I love the abrupt cut from Buffy telling Joyce "Duty calls. It's a total drag" to Buffy enthusiastically wailing on a vampire. I also admire the guts it took to just drop Dawn on us with "moooooom." And I appreciate the symbolism that Angel's bite has left a permanent scar on Buffy.

Negatives: Dracula is pretty lame and he's just an awkward fit with the Buffyverse's vamp mythology. They offer a brief explanation that most of his powers comes from "showy gypsy stuff" but it's a pretty half-assed explanation. I also think that Xander is written far too cartoonish before he succumbs to Dracula's thrall.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Buffy vs Dracula

Positive: Xander's butt-monkey rant is funny and iconic!

Negative: What exactly is Giles trying to accomplish by telling Willow about his decision to leave? He has to realize that Willow will not keep this secret from Buffy so, to me, this looks like manipulation. Instead of just talking to Buffy he's playing games. Not cool.

Comment

Buffy vs Dracula

Positive I'm a sucker for metafiction and self-referentiality so I like the idea of this episode. Stoker's Dracula is always an absent presence in 20th Century texts and I like the prologue replacing the phallic vampire fang and death with Buffy's equally phallic stake and death. Poor Riley needs to take a leaf out of Spike's book and "go patrolling" with her. Is Buffy's restlessness mirroring Lucy's restlessness in the novel/film? Does she combine this with Mina's "New Woman"? The storm's certainly a parallel. Does separating "fact from fiction" become central to the season? I like Spike's testosterone fueled confrontation with Riley and what might be genuine concern for Buffy rather than jealousy of Dracula. There's a foreshadowing of S6, not just the topic of the Slayer's demonic origins but also Dracula wearing the same colours Spike wears in OMWF. The introduction of Dawn's done well.

Negative Overall, the acting seems really weak - and I don't like Riley.
        sigpic

Comment

Day 1 - Buffy vs Dracula

Positive - The episode sets up a lot of what is to come in the season pretty well, Buffy and Riley's dissatisfaction in their relationship, Buffy's want to explore her slayer side more, Spike and Riley's rivalry and Dawn's drop in at the episode end is just brilliant.

Negative - As unfortunately happens too often, characters being forced into sexual situations is treated casually or as comedy.

Day 2 - Real Me

Positive - I adore Dawn's insertion into the series, it's one of the best things they ever did. Having an episode from Dawn's pov to follow that 'wtf?' moment for the viewer at the end of the last ep was just a great idea. Such a fabulous way to get to know a whole heap about her by viewing her perspective. Even though we still have no idea why she is there and the final line was clearly played to keep you guessing if she was going to be evil, it really helps accept her as a character we need to know better quickly.

Negative - Sure Buffy doesn't know that Harmony killed some of her minions (or perhaps just Brad, we don't know), but there's a chance she did and she is feeding on others, so the mass hysterics about Harmony having 'minions' bugs me.

Comment

Real Me

Positive: I think that this episode does an amazing job of introducing a new character. Dawn is funny and instantly likeable. She interacts with every member of the gang and we even learn what she thinks and how she feels about all of them.

Negative: I understand that, even though she remembers it, Buffy's never had a younger sister so it makes sense that she's extra annoyed but still, she comes across as kinda mean and way too angry in this episode.

Comment

Day 1 - Buffy v's Dracula

Positive: Much better episode then I remember. It's like a microcosm of the rest of the series; Buffy drawn to evil vampire, discovering her 'demon' side, Willow misusing magic, Xander trying to grow up, Giles pulling away and Dawn, who will affect Buffy in ways none of them know yet.

Negative: Giles and the female vamps. Seemed gratuitous.

Comment

Aww come on. That was wonderful. "Oh dear, I seem to have left my shoe" and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                  Aww come on. That was wonderful. "Oh dear, I seem to have left my shoe" and all that.
                  "No more chick pit for you" is one of Riley's best lines. His other good one also comes from this episode: "Cow me!"

BvD is one of my favorite eps. And everyone looks pretty.

Comment

Day 2 - Real Me

Positive: I just love that the writers/producers took this massive risk of introducing this new character. Dawn was meant to be a bit of brat, so encouraging unpopularity with the audience, and yet they were so committed to Dawn and the S5 story line. I adore Dawn, she's a great character and adds a new dimension to Buffy as a character. (And Michelle Tranchtenberg is great in the role)

Negative: Tara's self-pitying 'non scoobie' 'outsider feeling' gets a bit much. 'You've got such a tight bond, I'm not sure I want to break into that' - yeah right Tara, so stop whining about it

Comment

Day 1 - Buffy vs Dracula

Positive - I loved the last scene. Dawn's introduction was such a shock!

Negative - I was not impressed by Dracula at all, and God, I really hated Xander in this episode. He was embarrassing.

Day 2 - Real Me

Positive - Dawn's diary and her thoughts on the other characters was so interesting! I also liked the detail about Giles watching Passions with Spike.

Negative - I never understood Tara's outsider feelings. Buffy and Xander are Willow's best friends, they have no obligation to be Tara's as well. Tara is the girlfriend. I don't remember being friends with my best friends' significant others.
                      Made by Trickyboxes
                      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

TBF, Xander (as Renfield) being obsequious and the Chick-pit were down to Stoker - not Whedon.

Sosa Lola
                        I really hated Xander in this episode. He was embarrassing
                        Aahh...I think you're being too hard on your boy. I thought he played the part well - particularly his self-annoyance.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                          TBF, Xander (as Renfield) being obsequious and the Chick-pit were down to Stoker - not Whedon.

Sosa Lola

Aahh...I think you're being too hard on your boy. I thought he played the part well - particularly his self-annoyance.
                          I knew it was in the book, but I didn't like Giles being happily ravished by vamps, when he preaches how terrible they all are and should be staked. And why were they not biting him? Do they not bite in the book?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I knew it was in the book, but I didn't like Giles being happily ravished by vamps, when he preaches how terrible they all are and should be staked. And why were they not biting him? Do they not bite in the book?
                            Ha...not read it for about 30 years. If I recall - mouths were involved but not much in the way of teeth. Here it is.

I'm very dubious of the exact location of Harker's "throat" but perhaps that's just my dirty mind.

"I was afraid to raise my eyelids,but looked out and saw perfectly under the lashes. The girl went on her knees, and bent over me, simply gloating.There was a deliberate voluptuousness which was both thrilling and repulsive, and as she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal, till I could see in the moonlight the moisture shining on the scarlet lips and on the red tongue as it lapped the white sharp teeth. Lower and lower went her head as the lips went below the range of my mouth and chin and seemed to fasten on my throat (Yeah! That's YOUR story...). Then she paused, and I could hear the churning sound of her tongue as it licked her teeth and lips, and I could feel the hot breath on my neck. Then the skin of my throat began to tingle as one's flesh does when the hand that is to tickle it approaches nearer, nearer. I could feel the soft, shivering touch of the lips on the super sensitive skin of my throat, and the hard dents of two sharp teeth, just touching and pausing there. I closed my eyes in languorous ecstasy and waited, waited with beating heart".
                            sigpic

Comment

Day 3 - The Replacement

Positive - I really enjoy the Xander-centric episodes and this is no exception and is such an important one in a season where a heck of a lot of milestones in growing up take place. There being a side of yourself which feels like a total mess and the side that is capable is a straightforward premise but one that is so relatable, and not limited to teens/early twenties. I love that he is so in character in both extremes though and the two Xander's are just both so 'him' when they're side by side too. Lovely bit of character exploration.

Negagive - Buffy and Riley going off to make out in the bedroom was really immature and it didn't even set up for a good joke.

Comment

TriBel, thank you for that! 'The super sensitive skin of my throat'. I'm with you, 'throat' you say?

Comment

Day 3 - The Replacement

Positive - I like that both Xanders are Xander. I understand why the audience would think that scruffy Xander is the real Xander, as the last time we've seen sauve Xander was the early episodes of S3.

Another moment that stood out for me was when Riley stopped rubbing Buffy's shoulders upon seeing Xander imitating him with Anya and ending up making things worse. That was a nice Riley moment.

Negative - "But I never help. I get in trouble and Buffy saves me." "That's not true! Sometimes we all helped save you. (realizes that was unhelpful) And sometimes you're not in trouble."

This exchange between Xander and Willow always annoyed me. What grates more than Xander yet again putting himself down and forgetting all the times he'd saved the day was Willow not remembering a single moment where Xander saved her life. And the most annoying thing is: the reason Xander ended up in this mess was because HE SAVED BUFFY FROM TOTH!!!! He pushed her away and took the bullet for her!
                                  Made by Trickyboxes
                                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

The Replacement

Positive: Xander doing the snoopy dance! It was mentioned in "Passion" and it's so cool that we actually get to see it! I love it when BtVS does stuff like that.

Negative: Riley's but she doesn't love me line. Where does this even come from? It's so random and also completely insane.
                                    Last edited by a thing of evil; 29-03-18, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Day 1 - Buffy vs Dracula

Positive - I thought Xander was hilarious in this episode, and acted the 'possessed' role really well. I love seeing Nicholas Brendon act out roles that depart from his usual character traits (like in the Replacement, or The Pack.)

Love how Riley's insecurities in dating the Slayer are seamlessly woven in: they manifest as subtle little put downs playing down Buffy's strength and trying to even the score. And we see that when Riley's overwhelmed by insecurity, he resorts to Neanderthal-like behaviour and uses his brawn (like towering over Spike as if to announce who's boss - it shows him as weak imo.)

Very amusing to know Spike and Dracula were "rivals" (whether this is 100% true or not, it definitely establishes Spike as another potential romantic threat to Riley for the season that follows, and it establishes an early parallel between Riley's jealousy of Drac's seductive powers and Spike's eventual hold over Buffy.)

Negative - For some reason, Giles being used as the guy for the "chick pit" felt a little icky to me, I don't know why, though it was funny in its own way. And Dracula seemed rather out of place in the Buffyverse - I didn't find him especially menacing or persuasive.
                                      Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 29-03-18, 11:24 PM.

Comment

The Real Me

Positive For all that she's irritating, I can't help but feel sympathy for poor deluded Harmony. I really like Anya in this episode. Love the comments about The Game of Life and her rush to protect Dawn. I think the title refers to more than just Dawn. There's a lot of petty jealousies emerging. I wonder whether "jokes" and asides are being used to betray characters real feelings? Riley: "Oh, no, not at all. I'm plotting your death, but in a happy way. (Smiles)". Dawn's reference to Buffy wearing a mask to protect her loved ones is telling.

Negative: Giles - I'm beginning to find Giles really perverse. I think there's evidence that his S7 persona isn't as OOC as some would have. As someone mentioned earlier - why did he tell Willow he was planning on leaving? In the hope she'd tell Buffy and do his dirty work for him? Here, he's callously turning Mr Bogarty's death to his own advantage. I don't like the following exchange: BUFFY: You put it in neutral again, huh? GILES: I'm just not used to this automatic transmission. I-I loathe this sitting here, not contributing. Shot of Dawn looking surprised. GILES: No, i-it's not working out. BUFFY: Giles, are you breaking up with your car? GILES: Well, it did seduce me, all red and sporty! BUFFY: Little two-door tramp". I don't like the car being gendered and it being the "female's" fault that Giles feels redundant. And yes - I understand it's a quip but given what'll happen in S6, I don't like the implications that a female who's sexually proactive is a slut. I should add that these are negative feelings about the character - I think the text is being clever in its foreshadowing.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X