BtVS Season 3 highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtVS Season 3 highlights

Alright, let's move on to S3 and see if we can get some interesting highlights for this season too.

**Try to stick to the challenge of choosing just one answer for each.** As before, you aren't committing to your 'ultimate favourite eva ', just whatever occurs to you first (or even just to differ from others' answers).

With a few changes from the S1 & S2 threads just for variety...

Choose a favourite scene/moment through the season for
    - Buffy:
    - Faith:

And a favourite scene/moment for up to three other characters of your choice:
    - Other character 1:
    - Other character 2:
    - Other character 3:

- Choose your favourite motw:
    - Do you have a favourite comedy moment:
    - What episode do you think is most underrated:
    - Favourite scoobie episode:
    - Best villainous plot:

- Can you get full marks in this quick quiz - https://whatculture.com/tv/buffy-the...mber-season-3/ ?

- And let's end again with your 'top three' episode choices:

- Buffy:

The moment of shock and betrayal when she realizes that Giles was poisoning her in Helpless. "I don't know you."
    - Faith:
    The scene between Faith and Angel in Consequences. "I hope evil takes Mastercard." And then the look on her face as Angel's words start to change her point of view ... until Wesley goes and ruins it all

- Other character 1:

Willow - so many choices, but I liked her instant realization that Xander slept with Faith, and how the others were waiting for a more demonstrative surprise from her. "I don't need to say 'oh'. I got it before. They slept together." Followed by her crying alone
    - Other character 2:
    Giles telling Buffy off for not telling him about Angel in Revelations
    "I won't remind you that the fate of the world often lies with the Slayer. What would be the point? Nor shall I remind you that you've jeopardized the lives of all that you hold dear by harboring a known murderer. But sadly, I must remind you that Angel tortured me... for hours... for pleasure. You should have told me he was alive. You didn't. You have no respect for me, or the job I perform."
    - Other character 3:
    Mr. Trick in Homecoming. I love the twist that police just come and arrest the vampire menance and then his encounter with the mayor where brings up the subject of racism
    "If this is the part where you tell me that I don't fit in here in your quiet little neighborhood, you can just skip it 'cause, see, that all got old long before I became a vampire. Do you know what I'm saying?"

- Choose your favourite motw:
    Okay, this is hard one because again Buffy is so not monster-of-the-week at this point. Those seem weaker. But I'm going to say the apocalyptic threat that we see only glimpses of in The Zeppo. But not because as with some people I think it was a super-cool threat that should have been the focus of the episode instead of Xander. No, I think it only works as a parodic backdrop to comment on Xander's story and send up the show a little bit.
    More seriously, the Master and Anya from The Wish. The Master counts as a monster of the week now.
    - Do you have a favourite comedy moment:
    Xander going crazy with the sock puppet o' love in The Prom. A bit like his going too far Redrum moment in The Puppet Show.
    Xander: (puppet) Who's this Anya? Is she prettier than me?
    - What episode do you think is most underrated:
    Dead Man's Party - Season 3 was the first Buffy season I watched live, and it was this episode that exposed me to the vicious and somewhat misogynist hate towards Marti Noxon. It was like a preview of the fan reaction to season six. And we got to see complicated heroes all making emotional mistakes with each other.
    - Favourite scoobie episode:
    Really tough choice. But I'd say the Scoobies really come together in Graduation Day, and we even get to see an extended Scooby family with characters like Larry, Jonathan, Percy and Harmony drafted into the mix. Lots of heroic moments for our gang working together.
    It's also the last time we see all the season 1-3 Scooby Gang together as Cordelia and Angel leave for the spinoff.
    And I like the banter between Xander and Angel. "Then Angel, - in his non key-guy capacity, - can work with me."
    - Best villainous plot:
    Rat poison in the school lunch. If not for Xander's double Jell-O gluttony, she'd have gotten away from it.

- Can you get full marks in this quick quiz - https://whatculture.com/tv/buffy-the...mber-season-3/ ?
    Yes, 100 percent. Guessed as whether it was instruments or school uniforms. (Well, sort of remembered, but didn't trust my memories. Either way, I thought more of The Music Man.)
    Last edited by PuckRobin; 14-08-21, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Great answers. You didn't pick your top three eps though.

- Buffy:
    There's so many to choose from but I'm going to go with her reclaiming her identity in Anne ("I'm Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and you are?") and the power shot of her with the hammer and sickle.
    - Faith: Definitely her lashing out at Buffy in Enemies when she has her tied up at Angel's mansion. Her anger and resentment is so potent and clear here ("You get the mom. You get the Watcher. You get the little Scooby Gang. What do I get!? Jack squat! This is supposed to be my town!") and I think it's Eliza's best performance in S3.

- Other character 1: I'm going to cheat and use the Angel/Mayor scene from Graduation Day II as a moment for both of them. Harry Groener is marvellous whenever The Mayor breaks his cheery 'family man' persona and his rage here is exhilarating ("Murderous little fiend! Did you see what she did to my Faith!?"). And I love Angel hurling him across the room and the weight of their interactions in Enemies and Choices and the way he played Faith adding another layer to the animosity between them as Angel protects Buffy.
    - Other character 2: Giles in Amends when Angel comes to his home and he fetches the crossbow ("I can't come in unless you invite me" "I'm aware of that. Come in"). The tension is palpable but in spite of everything Giles can't help but listen. I also love the homely shot of Giles cooking himself dinner before Angel knocks on the door and ASH looks fantastic in the striped Ralph Lauren shirt.
    - Other character 3: There so many amazing Willow moments from Dopplegangland but I would have to go with Willow and VampWillow meeting each other for the first time and the hilarity that ensues ("..bitch").

Choose your favourite motw: Kralik from Helpless is wonderful and genuinely terrifying.
    Do you have a favourite comedy moment: The entire scene of Buffy, Xander and Giles mourning Willow and then Willow entering the library in Dopplegangland. From Xander shaking the cross, Giles spear tackling Willow into a hug, Willow asking the gang if they did drugs, and Xander's sarcastic comment about the Watcher's Council letting Giles go. It's utter brilliance.
    What episode do you think is most underrated: It's a toss up between Enemies and Gingerbread. I disagree with a lot of the complaints about the twist being a 'cheat' in Enemies and I think the episode makes total sense. Whereas Gingerbread often gets dismissed as a forgettable MotW but it's actually very good and has a bunch of very underrated moments.
    Favourite scoobie episode: Prom. It has Willow cradling a sobbing Buffy in her lap, Xander buying Cordy the prom dress, Buffy being adamant that her friends get to enjoy prom, Xander's heartwarming smile as he looks back at Buffy through the crowd as she receives the Class Protector Award, Oz's unwavering trust that will Buffy save the day etc.
    Best villainous plot: The Mayor/Faith arc is overall my favourite villainous plot of the season but I also really liked Anya's introduction in The Wish and The First tormenting Angel in Amends.

Can you get full marks in this quick quiz - https://whatculture.com/tv/buffy-the...mber-season-3/ ? 100%. But I fully admit to going 50/50 on The Mayor's 'To Do List' as I couldn't remember the order of the haircut and PTA Meeting. I got lucky!

And let's end again with your 'top three' episode choices: This was actually so hard and I'm sure I'll change my mind if you ask me tomorrow but Graduation Day I & II, Dopplegangland and Helpless. Special shout out to Amends, The Wish, Prom, Anne, Consequences, Enemies, Earshot.. gah I could just go on and on. It's such a strong season when it comes to the strength of it's individual episodes.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Choose a favourite scene/moment through the season for:

- Buffy: I would definitely have gone for the reclaiming of her name in Anne. But, for variation, I'm going to go with her attempt to talk to Faith at the end of Bad Girls. She's genuinely reaching out and looking to support Faith there and I think it really shows her heart in how much she is wanting Faith to lean on her and open up and with how affected she is by what happened herself too.

- Faith: This was a really hard choice because I really love Faith's journey through S3 and singling out one scene from that is tough. I find Faith's responses to killing the Deputy Mayor, the Books of Ascension demon and Professor Wirth are all pretty fascinating to show her progressively closing down. But, after mildly cheating by mentioning all of those in my preamble, I'm actually going to pick a small moment that came before.

I think everything that passes with Faith and her eventual redemption works so well because there are also moments where we have hints of a genuine wish to belong and of those one of my favourite is the moment Faith disrupts Scott's date in Homecoming. What she does is a little cruel for my liking personally, but she is doing it in reaction and defence of Buffy, because there is some loyalty felt there. Sure, it can also be about her own distrust of men too, but I think mostly it is responsive to the fact he hurt Buffy. And, as it isn't an observed act, it is just her acting on her own feelings towards Scott because of her connection with Buffy.

- Angel: I nearly chose a moment from Amends as it is such a great character episode. But as that episode has had some love already I'm going to go with Angel's conversation with Faith in Enemies. I think it really shows a genuine want to help her and we don't see Angel reach out to many people individually in BtVS. But he can help because of his history, in being able to understand the distinction between himself now in terms of his choices souled and putting what he still goes through against what Faith is doing. It works so well as a piece at the start of his relationship with Faith that is then continued and built on in AtS.

- Wesley: That moment in Graduation Day pt2, when Wes steps up and asks what he can do to help. Wes is one of my favourite characters and although the majority of his overall journey is in AtS, where he starts from in BtVS is obviously still a part of it too and informs what follows. The initial development from being a Council pawn to wanting to step outside of the parameters of what he was raised to do in order to instead do what he feels he should here is just great. Even if he does end up getting knocked out basically immediately.

- The Mayor: That scene in Graduation Day pt1 when he walks into the library and mocks the group, riles Giles and leaves is incredible. Like vampmogs said with his selection of the hospital scene between Angel and The Mayor in Graduation Day pt2, it is the way he breaks his cheerful persona and you see those darker edges. The delivery of his threat, "I'm gonna eat her" is just fantastic.

- Choose your favourite motw: Kralik is a great choice and The Master in The Wish, but for variety I'm going to choose something else. I'm going to go with Amends and The First. I do think the dismount with The First both here and in S7 is shaky, but the concept of it and how it can use people's own fears against them, literally plaguing them with memories of people and how it uses Angel's past to haunt him like that is great.

- Do you have a favourite comedy moment: I kind of wanted to pick out a Mr Trick line because the character is great, but what came to mind first was Oz's delivery at the end of Graduation Day pt2 about taking, what turns out to be a really brief moment to deal with the fact they've survived high school...
      Oz his hands in his pockets: "Guys take a moment to deal with this: - we survived." Xander nods.
      Buffy: "It was a hell of a battle!"
      Oz: "Not the battle (Cordy looks at him), high school." They all look quietly at the school and listen to the crickets chirping.
      Oz: "We're taking a moment (Willow and Buffy get up from the bench. Oz looks at Cordy) and we're done."
      The impact of everything they go through always matters so much and completing that stage of school is a significant thing as you're growing up. But the brief pause before just getting on with it really works not only with their teenage perspectives but in emphasising that the story is in what they do next and how it all informs what they go on to. It's just perfect as a comedy moment for the show which uses humour so well alongside making serious points about challenges and stages of growing up.

- What episode do you think is most underrated: I agree with Mogs that Gingerbread is an underrated episode, but I'm choosing The Zeppo. The show isn't written from a single character's perspective, so I think the overly extreme coddling Xander is receiving and the exaggerations played at other points being 'off' due from being how he sees things distracts viewers sometimes from enjoying the delight of seeing things from a character's point of view. It's a great fun episode with some character insight on top, there's just a heck of a lot to love about it.

- Favourite scoobie episode: Okay, this probably counts as a bit of a side-step, but The Wish is one of the most emotional episodes for me on rewatches and it is because of seeing the gang in this alternate reality. It is deeply affecting to watch and see the significance and difference that they all make to each other through a 'what if' where they never came together as they do in the original universe. It's one of the most impactful for underlining how great they are as a group by tearing them apart.

- Best villainous plot: I'm going to give Mr Trick some love here and pick Slayerfest. It's totally callous and sick but works so well with a vampiric/evil dismissal of human life and Mr Trick's own more modern/business-like viewing of potential opportunities to exploit.

- Can you get full marks in this quick quiz?
      Damn it! 14/15 - The Mayor's to do list thwarted me. I chose the one Mogs clearly didn't as I was torn between the same two.

And let's end again with your 'top three' episode choices:
      There are many episodes I really rate in this season. So, I'm deciding based on what I would pick if I was going to choose just three to rewatch right now. It would be The Wish, Earshot and Anne (very nearly Helpless).

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
        SpuffyGlitz commented
        Editing a comment
        Love your choice for the Faith moment especially. It's such an underrated moment, but it perfectly hints at that buried loyalty towards her that could have developed more, but was inherent in her
    Working...
    X