Season 1 highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 1 highlights

I thought it would just be fun to have a quick season quiz to pull out highlights for people.

**Try to stick to the challenge of choosing just one answer for each.**

I know it is going to be tough but that's kinda the point. It doesn't have to be your ultimate favourite ever you are committing to, just what occurs to you first (or even just to differ from others' answers).

So, pick a favourite scene/moment through the season for
    - Buffy:
    - Willow:
    - Xander:
    - Giles:

And a favourite scene/moment for up to three other characters of your choice:
    - Other character 1:
    - Other character 2:
    - Other character 3:

- Who's your favourite villain of the season:
    - Do you have a favourite comedy moment:
    - What about an emotional moment:
    - Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly:
    - What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season:

- Favourite set:
    - Favourite fight sequence:

- How do you score in this quiz - https://www.absurdtrivia.com/quiz/00...season-1-quiz/

- And let's end with your 'top three' episode choices:

Willow - the first thing I thought of is in The Harvest when she tells Cordelia to 'deliver'. We met this geeky shy girl who is picked on and only one episode later she shows there is so much more to her and she really isn't the little weakling we think she is. It's a brave thing to do and she does it to defend Buffy's honour.

Buffy - So many moments I love Buffy in Season 1, but I'll go for Prophecy Girl and the whole 'I'm 16 Giles, I don't want to die'. So emotional and really stops you in your tracks and makes you remember Buffy is just a 16 year old girl, not some superhero, but areal flesh and blood girl who is facing death.

Xander - Punching the clown in Nightmares is one of Xander's best scenes of the season. He faces his fears and he conquers them, he's really brave because clowns are horrible, but he doesn't hesitate. Plus all that free chocolate, I've never felt closer to him as when he's picking up those chocolate bars.

Giles - So many good moments. I love The Puppet Show scene where he happily climbs into the guillotine, knowing there 's a homicidal demon on the loose. So clever, but with so little common sense. He stutteringly questions what's going on, but it's too late, he's trapped. Makes me laugh every time.

Cordelia - Welcome To The Hellmouth 'Excuse me, I have to call everyone I've ever met right now' I just love that whole scene, but that line is wonderful.

Joyce - Prophecy Girl when she surprises Buffy with the dress. It's such a sweet moment and I always feel for Joyce, she gets so much criticism and she's doing the best she can.

Angel - One of my favourite Angel moments is at the end of 'Angel', when he and Buffy share smoochies and as Buffy walks away, the camera pans down and you can see how her cross necklace has burnt into Angel's skin. It's sweet and romantic (and physically impossible but we'll overlook that because the emotional impact is just so good) and Angel is so in love he doesn't feel any pain.

- Who's your favourite villain of the season: Does Hank in Nightmares count?
    - Do you have a favourite comedy moment: Witch, where Giles is very angry about something and the camera pulls back and Buffy is in a cheerleading outfit. But there are so many funny moments it's an impossible question.
    - What about an emotional moment: Prophecy Girl scene mentioned above.
    - Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly: 'If the apocalypse comes, beep me' - classic.
    - What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season: Witch. I didn't guess the vice/versa of it all and I loved Catherine being trapped in the statue.
    - Favourite set: The library
    - Favourite fight sequence: I really like when Buffy breaks the window at the Bronze and Luke thinks it's sunrise, and Buffy says 'is in about 9 hours moron' - she's not just brave and a good fighter, she's also witty and clever.

- How do you score in this quiz
    I got 92% 23/25. I got questions 8 and 11 wrong

These are not necessarily the best episodes, but they are the ones I enjoy watching the most

The Puppet Show
    Witch
    Prophecy Girl

I answered all these questions really quickly and tomorrow my answers might change

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      When there is so much goodness to choose from it's hard to pick one and can definitely change. I'll do the same later and just go with the ones that come to mind first.

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I did, just went with what came to mind first. Of course when you think about it, loads of much better examples come to mind

- Buffy: It would definitely have been the scene where Buffy shouts at Giles in Prophecy Girl, but to choose something different, I really like the strength we see in the character from the very start when she goes to talk to Willow, to essentially befriend her, and makes it clear that she won't be just conforming to the social expectations.
    - Willow: "I sort of stumbled onto them when I accidentally decrypted the city council's security system." I love this as a character moment. It says so much about how smart she is and also that she isn't going to be afraid to push against the system.
    - Xander: When Xander follows Buffy in The Harvest to find Jesse. It isn't sensible to have just done that regardless but it flags both a major character insecurity in not wanting to feel useless and a major character strength in his bravery and willingness to just throw himself into the fight.
    - Giles: I'm going to choose a moment similar to those for the others in that it was a moment when I think we saw that Giles would really challenge what was expected of him for Buffy. He did let her down at points, they aren't perfect, but his assertion he was going to face The Master instead of her, showed that he would break from tradition and the boundaries of his role for her.

- The Master: I love the Master and his wit and sarcasm. When he traps Buffy after she goes to face him and he tells her prophecies are tricky, that he couldn't go if she hadn't come, it's a huge moment that he makes so good.
    - Snyder: Another favourite character, and his introduction in The Puppet Show is so good. The mix of antagonism and humour with his character is great and the conversation about Willow, Xander and Buffy having to come up with an act is just a fabulous balance of that when he pushes his authority as well as making himself look comical, "I know the three of you will come up with a wonderful act for the school to watch. And mock. And laugh. At."
    - Dr Gregory: I love the positive encouragement he gives to Buffy when he's telling her she can excel in the class, it's such a great balance of reprimanding and motivating.

- Who's your favourite villain of the season: Has to be The Master. I know it's greatly in the scripting but Mark Metcalf makes him so much more than the classic villain he presents as and I wish we could have seen more of him.
    - Do you have a favourite comedy moment: I love the pause at the end of I Robot, You Jane when the gang conclude that they'll never have a happy normal relationship and Xander declares they're doomed. It's dark humour, but it's so beautifully done.
    - What about an emotional moment: Again that moment Buffy is shouting at Giles in Prophecy Girl is the total top emotional beat of the season, but for something different I'm going to go with Cordelia telling Buffy in OOM,OOS that she can be surrounded by people and be completely alone. It was the key scene that really started to draw me into the show more than anything else. They weren't just giving layers to Cordelia who had appeared as this vacuous, rich mean girl, but they were making really significant points about people hiding how they feel and making assumptions about the situation others are in. It raised the writing for me to a whole other level.
    - Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly: There's so many. If I hadn't already used it for my Snyder moment that would probably have been the one, but instead I'm going to go with the moment in Nightmares when Willow asks why this is happening and Giles just says bluntly 'Billy', to which Xander's resulting quip, "Well, that explanation was shorter than usual. It's Billy!" is great.
    - What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season: This is tough because there are a lot of episodes that the storyline/theme of surprised me in the show and that started right from S1. I'm going to choose OOM,OOS as the invisibility someone can feel literally removing them and becoming a reality I thought was such a clever depiction of how horrible and impactful the school experience can be and it really went beyond the monster of the week threats of other episodes.
    - Favourite set: Again I really like Pricey's choice, but I'm going to say the Church where the Master is trapped. When Buffy goes down there in Prophecy Girl the set really adds to the tone and menace of the moment.
    - Favourite fight sequence: I love the fight with Marcie in OOM,OOS. The best bit is when Buffy gets Cordelia to be quiet so that she can listen for Marcie and you get that intense moment of focus, the draft playing on her hair, and then she hears the slightest creak and you get that classic hit that results in Marcie being 'revealed', it's great.

- How do you score in this quiz - https://www.absurdtrivia.com/quiz/00...season-1-quiz/
    I was very pleased with myself to get 100%. There was one that I wobbled between which of two options to choose though and was lucky to pick the right one rather than definitely remembering the answer.

1 - Prophecy Girl - for that scene between Giles and Buffy alone this deserves the top slot
    2 - OOM,OOS - As I said, it was the moment I really started falling for the series
    3 - The Pack - This was a difficult call, I nearly chose a different 3rd place, but this is probably the episode that I enjoy rewatching the most after my 1st and 2nd choices. The depiction of 'the pack' as they move around and the scenes of them acting in a predatory way around the school were excellently filmed. Kudos to NB too for really conveying a different persona. And there's the deaths of Herbert and Flutie which were surprising and impactful.

Comment

So, pick a favourite scene/moment through the season for;

- Buffy: Definitely her breakdown in Prophecy Girl. I wish I could go with something more original but it's just too iconic.
      - Willow: When she tricks Hyena!Xander into revealing his true motivations in The Pack - "Now I know"
      - Xander: Confronting Angel at his apartment in Prophecy Girl - "You're in love with her?" "Aren't you?"
      - Giles: It's a tie between his heart-to-heart with Buffy in Never Kill A Boy On The First Date when he reveals he never wanted to be a Watcher and cheers Buffy up or his scene with Angel in Out of Mind, Out of Sight - "A vampire in love with a Slayer. It's sort of poetic in a maudlin sort of way"

- Cordy: Either "What is your childhood trauma!?" from Welcome to the Hellmouth or being dragged away by the chess club in Nightmares
      - Angel: "You have no idea what it's like to have done the things I've done. And care" - Angel
      - The Master: His cruelty in Prophecy Girl - "But prophecies are tricky creatures. They don't tell you everything. You're the one that sets me free. If you hadn't come, I couldn't go. Think about that"

- Who's your favourite villain of the season: It's definitely The Master and I think he's incredibly underrated both as a Big Bad and his performance by Marc Metclaff. However, Catherine Madison is a close runner up for me. I loved her brief scene at the end of The Witch.

- Do you have a favourite comedy moment: A tossup between Buffy "attacking Cordy with a stick". in WTTH, Cordy being dragged away by the chess club or seeing her hair in the mirror in Nightmares, a confused elderly Ms French telling Buffy "she's right here" in Teacher's Pet or Willow rushing into the laboratory with a baseball bat in The Witch ("Where is she!?")

- What about an emotional moment: You can't beat Buffy's breakdown however that episode is full of other great moments. I love the scene between Buffy/Willow in Willow's bedroom as well as Buffy's death scene as the tear trickles down her face. The final Buffy/Angel kiss in Angel is also beautifully shot and well done.

- Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly: "Giles I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die." It's the "wanna" that gets me. I also love the raw anger coming from her voice when she screams at Giles for being so useful with all his books.

- What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season: It's hard to forget everything I know about the show but if I pretend I am a new viewer and remove my biases I do think Flutie's death would have been really unexpected and shocking.

- Favourite set: The library.

- Favourite fight sequence: Buffy killing the vampire at the beginning of Prophecy Girl. I love the slow mo, the smirk, the reveal of the stake, the quick kicks etc.

- How do you score in this quiz - https://www.absurdtrivia.com/quiz/00...season-1-quiz/ 100% Though for a second I thought I was going to get the number of deaths wrong for NKABOTFD.

- And let's end with your 'top three' episode choices: Prophecy Girl, Angel, Out of Mind, Out of Sight.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Love your choices of favourite scenes/moments for up to three other characters and I agree The Master is often underrated.

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
      So, pick a favourite scene/moment through the season for;
      - Buffy: Definitely her breakdown in Prophecy Girl. I wish I could go with something more original but it's just too iconic.

Oh—!

so lovely—

your words, all
      we have of
      you, come to dwell—no
      matter how
      briefly here again

Comment

Favourite scene/moment through the season for

- Buffy:
        "I'm sixteen, Giles. I don't wanna die..."
        - Willow: When she tells Cordelia to use the Del key to deliver her paper or:
        "I'm not okay. I knew those guys. I go to that room every day. And when I walked in there, it... it wasn't our world anymore. They made it theirs. And they had fun. (a tear rolls down her cheek) What are we gonna do?"

- Xander: Bullying Angel into helping him save Buffy from The Master
        - Giles: Planning to go and face The Master himself so Buffy wouldn't have to

Favourite scene/moment for up to three other characters of your choice:
        - Joyce:
        Buying the prom dress for Buffy
        - Cordy: "When it comes to dating I'm the Slayer" (and all her other comedic moments)
        - Billy Palmer: when he smiled at Buffy after waking up from his coma and confronting his coach

- Who's your favourite villain of the season: Darla
        - Do you have a favourite comedy moment: There are many but I'll go for this one:

"Willow: Buffy has a really important date.
        Buffy: Owen!
        Giles: All right, I-I'll just jump in my time machine, go back to the twelfth century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show.
        Buffy: Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm."

- What about an emotional moment: The same as above - Buffy's line in Prophecy Girl.
        - Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly: Again, see above ...
        - What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season: I think that Sid the Dummy is not the villain in The Puppet Show is a great plot twist.
        - Favourite set: The library (not very original of me, I know...)
        - Favourite fight sequence: Do we get a lot of fight scenes? I don't really remember any. maybe the fight between Angel and Buffy vs. Darla at The Bronze.

- How do you score in this quiz - https://www.absurdtrivia.com/quiz/00...season-1-quiz/ I am too embarrassed to tell ...

- And let's end with your 'top three' episode choices: 1. The Puppet Show, 2. Nightmares, 3. The Pack
        Last edited by flow; 01-08-21, 01:51 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

flow Great point about Joyce buying Buffy the prom dress, it's a really sweet moment between them. I love that The Pack shows up in your top three, really surprised by The Puppet Show. What is it you like so much about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            flow Great point about Joyce buying Buffy the prom dress, it's a really sweet moment between them. I love that The Pack shows up in your top three, really surprised by The Puppet Show. What is it you like so much about it?
            Yes, Pricey picked the same scene

I love The Puppet Show because of the back story of Sid the Dummy. He has existed for such a long time as a Dummy and still keeps fighting the good fight. There is a very quiet heroism about that and also about the way he sacrifices himself at the end. Also, it is kinda sweet and sad at the same time that Buffy is the one who gets his loneliness because she feels the same. They share a very sweet moment about that. I also picked it because it is one of the most underrated BtVS episodes.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
              Yes, Pricey picked the same scene
              I'd forgotten that but I just relooked and yes of course. I really liked the point that Pricey made that Joyce is trying to do her best. I used to be very critical of her but after discussing the character on here a bit I've come to see a different side to it and really better consider the context of being a single parent for her.

I love The Puppet Show because of the back story of Sid the Dummy. He has existed for such a long time as a Dummy and still keeps fighting the good fight. There is a very quiet heroism about that and also about the way he sacrifices himself at the end. Also, it is kinda sweet and sad at the same time that Buffy is the one who gets his loneliness because she feels the same. They share a very sweet moment about that. I also picked it because it is one of the most underrated BtVS episodes.
              That's a lovely element to emphasise re: Sid. I have always just looked on it in terms of him trying to complete his task and be free, but you're right there is another layer within that to the determination and persistence that is plain heroic. I'll definitely be thinking about that more than I have before when I next watch it.

Comment

- Buffy:

I hate to fall in line with everyone else, but the obvious is the spectacular moment in Prophecy Girl where SMG tears up the scenery. This is the first moment in the show where it really seems to sink in that even Buffy is expendable despite the show bearing her name. It also introduces the idea of fate as something unavoidable - although the outcome may not be what we think - which will play an enormous part in the Buffyverse later on.

BUFFY: So that's it, huh? I remember the drill. One Slayer dies, next one's called! Wonder who she is. Will you train her? Or will they send someone else?
                GILES: Buffy, I...
                BUFFY: They say how he's gonna kill me? Do you think it'll hurt?
                Angel tries to hug her a tearful Buffy, she pushes him away.
                BUFFY: Don't touch me! Were you even gonna tell me?
                GILES: I was hoping that I wouldn't have to. That there was... some way around it. I...
                BUFFY: I've got a way around it. I quit!
                ANGEL: It's not that simple.
                BUFFY: I'm making it that simple! I quit! I resign, I'm fired, you can find someone else to stop the Master from taking over!
                GILES: I'm not sure that anyone else can. All the signs indicate -
                Buffy throws Giles' books at him as she screams.
                BUFFY: The signs? Read me the signs! Tell me my fortune! You're so useful sitting here with all your books! You're really a lot of help!
                GILES: No, I don't suppose I am.
                ANGEL: I know this is hard.
                BUFFY: What do you know about this? You're never gonna die!
                ANGEL: You think I want anything to happen to you? Do you think I could stand it? We just gotta figure out a way -
                BUFFY: I already did. I quit, remember? Pay attention!
                GILES: Buffy, if the Master rises...
                Buffy tears the cross from her neck.
                BUFFY: I don't care! I don't care. Giles, I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die. (Prophecy Girl)
                - Willow:

Willow has so many moments in the show, but as always, my favorite ones are the tiny moments where we see a character suddenly shift and grow. I love the dual scenes in Prophecy Girl when Xander practices asking Buffy out on Willow - who obviously pines for him - and then Willow turning down Xander after Buffy rejects him because she's no longer willing to be a consolation prize. It's a great moment for Willow, showing that she's finally moving away from just being old Faithful. And smartly, this revelation comes to her right after Cordelia orders her around. And yet, AH turns down Xander in the most plaintive manner, a tiny shattering of the heart.

The Bronze at night. Cut inside to Xander and Willow sitting at a table.
                XANDER: You know how I feel about you. It's, uh, pretty obvious, isn't it? There's never been anyone else for me... but you. And we're good friends, and it's time to take the next step.
                Willow is listening to him dreamily.
                XANDER: Would you, um... date me? Oh that's good! Date me! It's terrible, right?
                WILLOW: Huh? Oh, no! Oh, yes, 'date me' is silly...
                XANDER: See, what I should do is I should just start with talking about the dance. Y'know, Buffy, Spring Fling just isn't any dance. It's a time for students to choose, um... a mate and then we
                can observe their mating rituals and tag them before they migrate. Just kill me!
                WILLOW: You're doing fine!
                XANDER: Why's it so hard? I should just walk up to her and say, 'Hey, I like you. Let's go to the dance together.'
                WILLOW: Direct and to the point.
                XANDER: I'm ready. I wanna do it now. I *gotta* do it now.
                WILLOW: Oh, Buffy's not here. You can practice on me some more.
                (...)
                CORDELIA: Willow! I really like your outfit!
                WILLOW: No, you don't.
                CORDELIA: No, I really don't, but I need a favor.
                WILLOW: What kind?
                CORDELIA: Well, the Bronze won't let us use their sound system, and I need someone who knows how to hook one up. If you could just show up tomorrow morning...
                Willow sees Xander angrily throwing a ball against the wall in a classroom.
                CORDELIA: I'd be really, really grateful! I mean, I'd talk to you at the dance and everything.
                WILLOW: Sure.
                Willow notices Xander.
                CORDELIA: Great! Tomorrow at ten?
                WILLOW: Sure.
                Willow walks over to Xander throws a ball - hard. As they talk, he continues to lob it at the wall.
                WILLOW: Hey!
                XANDER: Hey!
                WILLOW: How'd it go?
                XANDER: On a scale of one to ten? It sucked.
                WILLOW: Oh.
                XANDER: Well, I guess it could be worse. I could have gangrene on my face.
                WILLOW: Well, what'd she say?
                XANDER: Apart from 'no', does it really matter? She's still jonesin' for Angel, and could care less about me.
                WILLOW: At least now you know.
                XANDER: Yeah, you're right. The deal's done. The polls are in, and it's time for my concession speech.
                Willow comes up to Xander. He suddenly perks up and places his arms around Willow in a friendly way.
                XANDER: Hey, I know what we'll do! We can go! Be my date! We'll, we'll have a great time! We'll dance, we'll go wild. Whadaya say?
                WILLOW: No.
                XANDER: Good! What?
                WILLOW: There's no way.
                XANDER: Willow, come on!
                WILLOW: You think I wanna go to the dance with you and watch you wish you were at the dance with her? You think that's my idea of hijinks? You should know better.
                XANDER: I didn't think.
                WILLOW: I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I'll see you on Monday.
                Willow leaves the room. (Prophecy Girl)

- Xander:

It may not be as flashy as his scenes with Angel in the tunnels when they go to rescue Buffy, but I've always loved NB's reading of the final line of this small scene when Buffy and Xander are travelling through the tunnels in The Harvest looking for Jesse. I know there are more powerful scenes with Xander, but this and the scene with Jesse in the tunnels are the scenes that made me love him as a character. The pause before the tiny intake of breath and then almost silent laughter as Xander reacts in horror and disbelief to Buffy's tale of the X-Acto Knife is fantastic and NB's deadpan reading of the final line bespeaks the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Xander shows himself to be unbelievably brave here in showing up unexpectedly to help Buffy find his friend - which foreshadows his actions that save her life in Prophecy Girl.

XANDER: Okay, so, crosses, garlic, stake through the heart.
                BUFFY: That'll get it done.
                Xander: Cool! Of course, I don't actually have any of those things.
                BUFFY: Good thinking.
                XANDER: Well, the part of my brain that would tell me to bring that stuff is still busy telling me not to come down here. I have this, though.
                Xander turns on a flashlight.
                BUFFY: Turn that off!
                XANDER: Okay! Okay! So, what else?
                BUFFY: What else what?
                XANDER: For vampire slayage.
                BUFFY: Oh, fire, beheading, sunlight, holy water, the usual.
                XANDER: You've done some beheading in your time?
                BUFFY: Oh, yeah. There was this time I was pinned down by this guy that played left tackle for varsity. Well, at least he used to before he was a vampire. Anyway, he had this really, really thick neck, and all I had was a little, little X-Acto Knife...
                Xander stops and laughs nervously.
                BUFFY: You're not loving this story.
                XANDER: No, actually, I find it oddly comforting. (The Harvest)
                (...)
                XANDER: Mind if I come in?
                ANGEL: Make yourself at home.
                Angel closes the door as Xander races into the room.
                XANDER: She's gone.
                ANGEL: What do you mean?
                XANDER: Buffy, she's gone to fight the Master.
                ANGEL: He'll kill her.
                XANDER: Rumor has it. Only we're not gonna let it happen.
                ANGEL: Well, what do you propose we do about it?
                XANDER: Look, I know you can find this Master guy. He's underground, right? Take me to him.
                ANGEL: You're way outta your league, kid. The Master'll kill you before you can even breathe. If you're lucky.
                XANDER: How can I say this clearly?
                He holds up a cross as Angel growls and falls into a chair.
                XANDER: I don't like you. At the end of the day, I pretty much think you're a vampire. But Buffy's got this big old yen for you. She thinks you're a real person. And right now I need you to prove her right.
                ANGEL: You're in love with her.
                XANDER: Aren't you? (Prophecy Girl)

- Giles:

My favorite Giles moment is his refusal to accept that Buffy will die. I love how he paces back and forth, testing various weapons as Jenny talks. I love how Buffy and Giles fight for their destinies - but Buffy the hero wins out with a single blow.

Cut to the library. Giles is getting weapons out of the cage and prepares them.
                JENNY: Okay, so this Master guy tried to open the Hellmouth. But he got stuck in it, and now all the signs are reading that he's gonna get out, which opens the Hellmouth, which brings the demons, which ends the world.
                GILES: Yes. That about sums it up, yes.
                JENNY: The part that gets me, though, is where Buffy is the Vampire Slayer. She's so little.
                GILES: You know how to get in touch with this, uh, brother Lucca chap?
                JENNY: Hmm. As far as I can tell, no one can. He's disappeared. Did send out one last global though. A short one.
                GILES: What did it say?
                JENNY: Isaiah 11:6, which I dutifully looked up.
                GILES: 'The wolf shall live with the lamb, the leopard shall lie down with the kid, the calf, the lion and the fatling together, and the little child to lead them.'
                JENNY: That's kinda warm and fuzzy for a message of doom.
                GILES: Well, that depends where he's leading them to. Aurelius wrote of the Anointed One, 'The Slayer will not know him and he will lead her into Hell.'
                JENNY: So Lucca thinks the Anointed is a kid.
                GILES: If the vampire that Buffy killed was in fact not the Anointed, then it may well be.
                JENNY: Well, then we need to warn her.
                GILES: I don't intend involving her at all.
                JENNY: What do you mean?
                GILES: Buffy's not gonna face the Master. I am.
                BUFFY: No, you're not.
                Giles and Ms. Calendar look over and see her approaching.
                BUFFY: So, I'm looking for a kid, huh? And he'll lead me to the Master?
                GILES: Buffy, I'm not gonna send you out there to die. Now, you were right. I've waded around in these old books for so long, I've forgotten what the real world is like. It's time I found out.
                BUFFY: You're still not going up against the Master.
                GILES: I've made up my mind.
                BUFFY: So have I.
                GILES: I made up my mine first! I'm older and wiser than you, and just... just do what you're told for once! Alright?
                BUFFY: That's not how it goes. I'm the Slayer.
                GILES: I don't care what the books say. I defy prophecy and I am going. There's nothing you can say will change my mind.
                BUFFY: I know.
                She pretends to turn to go, but then throws a hard punch to his face, knocking him out. As he falls backward to the floor. Jenny scrambles to his aid.
                BUFFY: When he wakes up tell him... I don't know. Think of something cool, tell him I said it.
                JENNY: You fight the Master, and you'll die.
                BUFFY: Maybe. Maybe I'll take him with me. (Prophecy Girl)

- Other character 1:

Cordelia in Teacher's Pet - it's a marvelously funny monologue about a deadly serious subject when Cordelia talks to the school therapist about finding their teacher dead. Cordelia is utterly self-absorbed in her traumatized state - and yet, it's easy to feel sorry for her. She's not insensitive out of spite or malice - but out of naivete.

CORDELIA: I don't know what to say, it was really, I mean, one minute you're in your normal life, and then who's in the fridge? It really gets to you, a thing like that. It was... let's just say I haven't been able to eat a thing since yesterday. I think I lost, like, seven and a half ounces? Way swifter than that so-called diet that quack put me on. Oh, I'm not saying that we should kill a teacher every day just so I can lose weight, I'm just saying when tragedy strikes, we have to look on the bright side. You know? Like, how even used Mercedes still have leather seats! (Teacher's Pet)

- Other character 2:

Angel and Darla in Angel - as always, their dialogue is brutally honest and the chemistry between them is as strong as between Angel and Buffy. It's utterly believable that Darla was the light of Angelus' unlife.

DARLA: She's out hunting you right now. She wants to kill you.
                ANGEL: Leave me alone.
                DARLA: What did you think? Did you think she would understand? That she would look at your face - your true face - and give you a kiss?
                Cut to Buffy in the library taking a practice shot at an anti- smoking poster with a crossbow.
                DARLA: For a hundred years you've not had a moment's peace because you will not accept who you are. That's all you have to do. Accept it. Don't let her hunt you down. Don't whimper and mewl like a mangy human. Kill! Feed! Live!
                Angel angrily shoves Darla against the wall with her arms pinned.
                ANGEL: Alright!
                DARLA: What do you want?
                ANGEL: I want it finished!
                DARLA: That's good. You're hurting me. That's good, too. (Angel)
                - Other character 3:

Principal Snyder in The Puppet Show - he reminds me of a *lot* of producers I've had to deal with over the years. Just watching him walk by the theater seats makes me shudder in recognition. It's also a brilliant piece of character definition that is unique - the line "he may have gone in for all that touchy-feely relating nonsense, but he was eaten." could only have been said in BtVS by Snyder.

BUFFY: If it isn't the great producer!
                XANDER: Had to see this to believe it.
                GILES: Oh. You three.
                BUFFY: The school talent show. How ever did you finagle such a primo assignment?
                GILES: Our new Führer, Mr. Snyder.
                WILLOW: I think they call 'em 'principals' now.
                GILES: Mm. He thought it would behoove me to have more contact with the students. I did try to explain that my vocational choice of librarian was a deliberate attempt to minimize said contact, but he would have none of it.
                BUFFY: Giles, unto every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show. You cannot escape your destiny.
                GILES: If you had any shred of decency, you would have participated or at least helped.
                Buffy: Nah! I think I'll take on your traditional role and watch!
                XANDER: And mock!
                WILLOW: And laugh!
                BUFFY: Okay. I think maybe we better leave our Mr. Giles to this business he calls a show.
                The three of them get up and start back up the aisle to find Principal Snyder waiting there for them.
                BUFFY: Principal Snyder!
                SNYDER: So - we think school events are stupid and we think authority figures are to be made fun of?
                BUFFY: No! No, we don't. Unless you do.
                SNYDER: And we think our afternoon classes are optional? All three of you left campus yesterday.
                BUFFY: Yeah, but we were fighting a demon.
                SNYDER: Fighting?
                BUFFY: Not fighting.
                XANDER: No, we, uh, left to avoid fighting.
                SNYDER: Real anti-social types. You need to integrate into this school, people. I think I just found three eager new participants for the talent show.
                BUFFY: What?
                XANDER: No!
                WILLOW: Please?
                SNYDER: I've been watching you three. Always getting into one scrape or another.
                BUFFY: Well, we're really, really sorry, but about the talent show, please, you can't make us -
                SNYDER: My predecessor, Mr. Flutie, may have gone in for all that touchy-feely relating nonsense, but he was eaten. You're in my world now and Sunnydale has touched and felt for the last time.
                XANDER: Can I just mention that detention is a time-honored form of punishment?
                SNYDER: I know the three of you will come up with a wonderful act for the school to watch. And mock. And laugh. At. (The Puppet Show)

- Who's your favourite villain of the season:

The Master - I really love his droll sense of humor.

THE MASTER: So! This is the Slayer! You're prettier than the last one.
                BUFFY: This isn't real. Y-you can't be free!
                THE MASTER: You still don't understand, do you? I am free because you fear it. Because you fear it, the world is crumbling. Your nightmares are made flesh. You have little Billy to thank for that.
                She looks behind her, but Billy is gone. She turns back to the Master.
                BUFFY: This is a dream.
                THE MASTER: A dream is a wish your heart makes. This is real life.
                The Master puts his hands around Buffy's neck and pushes her close to the open grave.
                THE MASTER: Come on, Slayer! What are you afraid of? (Nightmares)
                - Do you have a favourite comedy moment:

The realization that living in Sunnydale means never having to say you're sorry because no one remembers anything:

Buffy jumps down from the stage after dusting Luke in the Bronze.
                GILES: I take it it's over.
                WILLOW: Did we win?
                BUFFY: Well, we averted the Apocalypse. I give us points for that.
                XANDER: One thing's for sure: nothing's ever gonna be the same.
                Smash cut to the quad at Sunnydale High School in mid-afternoon. Everything appears the same as students play ball, study and walk around chatting as if nothing happened. As Buffy walks up to Xander, she pauses to listen to Cordelia talking to a girl.
                CORDELIA: Well, I heard it was rival gangs. You know, fighting for turf? But all I can tell you is they were an ugly way of looking. And Buffy, like, knew them! Which is just too weird. I mean, I don't even remember that much, but I'm telling you, it was a freak show!
                GIRL: Oh, I wish I'd been there!
                CORDELIA: You should have been there. It was so creepy.
                Buffy and Xander shake their heads.
                BUFFY: What exactly were you expecting?
                XANDER: I don't know, something. I mean, the dead rose. We should at least have an assembly. (The Harvest)

- What about an emotional moment:

There are so many incredible emotional moments in Season One, but I'm going to pick a really understated moment. Angel's first scene with Buffy in her bedroom - for some reason, I have always found this moment to be unbearably sad.

ANGEL: Look, I don't wanna get you in any more trouble...
                BUFFY: And I don't wanna get you dead. They could still be out there. So, uh, oh... two of us, one bed. That doesn't work. Um, why don't you take the bed? Y'know, you're wounded...
                ANGEL: I'll take the floor.
                BUFFY: Uh, no, that's not...
                ANGEL: Oh, believe me, I've had worse.
                BUFFY: Okay. Um, then why don't you check and see if the Fang Gang is still loitering and, um, keep your back turned while I change?
                Angel goes over to the window to have a look as Buffy goes to her closet to change.
                ANGEL: I don't see them.
                BUFFY: You know, I'm the Chosen One, it's my job to fight guys like that. What's your excuse?
                ANGEL: Somebody has to.
                BUFFY: Well, what does your family think of your career choice?
                ANGEL: They're dead.
                BUFFY: Was it vampires?
                ANGEL: It was.
                BUFFY: I'm sorry.
                ANGEL: It was a long while ago.
                BUFFY: So, this is a vengeance gig for you.
                ANGEL: You even look pretty when you go to sleep.
                BUFFY: Well, when I wake up it's an entirely different story.
                Buffy hands Angel the comforter from her bed.
                BUFFY: Here. Sleep tight.
                He lays the comforter on the floor next to her bed and lies down as Buffy crawls into bed.
                BUFFY: Angel?
                ANGEL: Hmm?
                BUFFY: Do you snore?
                ANGEL: I don't know. It's been a long time since anybody's been in a position to let me know. (Angel)

- Pick a line which you think gets delivered perfectly:

It's the tiniest bit from The Puppet Show, but AH delivers the punchline so perfectly:

WILLOW: What could a demon possibly want from me?
                XANDER: What's the square root of 841?
                WILLOW: 29. Oh, yeah. (The Puppet Show)

- What do you think is the most unexpected or unusual storyline in this season:

The opening scene of the entire series.

In Welcome to the Hellmouth. I'm giving the opening scene by Joss Whedon a lot of credit for creating the essential tone of BtVS.

The first moments of anything narrative - whether a play, a movie, a television show, a book - represents an attitude or a philosophy of life that casts a shadow over the entire piece for better or worse. I'd make a case that Welcome to the Hellmouth is an impressive pilot episode that does a terrific job introducing the themes and characters of BtVS.

We get an intro that is a quick montage of various vampire tropes - crosses. stakes, axes, weapons, graveyards, the Vampyr book, pictures of demons in ancient texts, Buffy wielding a crossbow - with a narrative overlay and suspenseful music telling us who the slayer is. It's not meant to be representative of the show - it's more akin to a preview of a film or the blurb on the back of a book before opening the cover.

And then we get to the heart of the narrative and thematic matter - the show starts not with an establishing shot of a vampire den or a mighty Watcher's council or even Buffy herself - but a high school with all its concomitant hopes and fears of young teens who are trying to find their way in the world - and prefigures the true nature of BtVS as a coming of age story. Through the branches of trees, the camera tracks in a circular motion until it rests upon the stylized letters carved between Italian Renaissance columns above a doorway flanked by a gorgeous Spanish Colonial bay window and Classical touches throughout the facade. The name of the school - Sunnydale High School - establishes the all-American setting of the drama and the modernist architecture that combines several styles with precision and elegance conveys the unique architecture of Southern California. There's a small flash of light against the glass doors, as if someone is holding a flashlight.

The camera then tracks through a school hallway, passing a trophy case (athletics) and the library (learning) - things that Buffy will need to defeat the powers of darkness. And this also adds to the narrative anxiety because we don't see a building swarming with cars as parents drop off their children and backpack-laden students rushing to class while engaging with friends. Instead, we're getting a view of the high school in the dead of night - dark, deserted and ominous - with driving music that creates a sense of excitement as the camera continues to track through a classroom from a low angle, our view obscured by the legs of desks and chairs. We see, cleverly, that the classroom is filled with objects for scientific learning. Cleverly, they are also associated with the Gothic origins of Buffy - a skeleton, jars of things in formaldehyde, a skull, a mortal and pestle - and a large microscope that also prefigures the intense focus and study Buffy will need to defeat her foes. We're meant to believe that we are following someone's POV - perhaps the flashlight wielding intruder who has wandered into the school.

Suddenly, the first real action that we see in the show is a criminal act - breaking and entering - as the window of the classroom shatters and glass flies near the microscope. The camera shows two teens - an aggressive male and a timid female. The male seems to be the main instigator - he's the one who shatters the glass and convinces her to climb inside.

GIRL: Are you sure this is a good idea?
                BOY: It's a great idea, now come on.
                The camera turns to follow them into the hallway as the girl asks if he knows anything about the place they've broken into.

GIRL: Do you go to school here?
                BOY: I used to. On top of the gym it's so cool. You can see the whole town.
                This tells us that the two don't know each other very well - they've most likely just met before he brought her to the high school. The anxiety of going to a strange place with a relative stranger already heightens the dramatic suspense that something terrible is going to happen - especially considering the title of the show.

The dialogue also tells us we're not necessarily going to get a high school drama full of do-gooder kids - Sunnydale has its former delinquents who push back against the controlling nature of school with its rules and regulations. But their criminal act and his subsequent coaxing of the girl to have sex with him on the roof of the gym also reflects a major trope of most horror narratives - the price of moral transgression is death.

The girl seems to sense this - she pulls away from the boy as they walk down the dark hallway, the library doors behind them (that we later learn lies directly above the Hellmouth) and the lighted entryway to the school ahead. The darkened hallway acts as a liminal place between multiple points of exit and entrance, acting much like an alleyway does in later Buffy episodes with all directions indeterminate and open depending on the actions and decisions of the characters.

GIRL: I don't wanna go up there.
                BOY: Aw, you can't wait, huh?
                GIRL: We're just gonna get in trouble.
                BOY: Yeah, you can count on it.
                We get another stock horror trope when the two almost kiss before the girl turns around in fear at some perceived threat out of sight, down the darkened hall. Monster or security guard? Either way, they might get into trouble simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time - like a deserted high school in the middle of the night with a boy that she doesn't know very well. The camera starts to track in a circling pan around the girl as if to reflect her state of mind - not certain where danger may come from or where to run to in the face of a threat. This sets up the notion that Sunnydale High School itself will act as a landscape of possible horrors that Buffy and her friends will have to journey through - it's not a place of safety, but of intense peril.

GIRL: What was that?
                BOY: What was what?
                GIRL I heard a noise.
                BOY: It's nothing!
                GIRL: Uh, uh, maybe it's something.
                BOY: Or maybe it's some *thing*!
                GIRL: That's not funny.
                The boy waves his hand in a silly claw gesture as she looks nervously towards the doorway. A potential escape route - or the entryway for some "thing" outside? At this point, the school building itself is firmly set up as a character - a series of byways for infamous things to enter into - or exit from. The boy calls out toward the partially lit entryway as the girl looks back to the long darkened hallway and the library doors near the classroom as if she expects something to enter from that direction.

BOY: Hello! There's nobody here.
                GIRL: Are you sure?
                BOY: Yes, I'm sure.
                GIRL: Okay.
                As she turns towards the boy (and the entrance to the school,) the camera cuts to an over the shoulder shot as we see that her features have changed to that of a hideous monster with giant fangs. We never see the boy's expression as she bites deeply into his neck, growling and holding onto his arm and the viewer suddenly realizes that the focus is now entirely upon the vampire girl and her exaltation at having fooled the boy.

Not only does this ironically turn the commonplace heroic trope of 'girl in peril' on its head by showing a 'boy in peril' instead, but the victory of the girl monster over the human boy also deconstructs another trope - "The Final Girl" - in which the heroine of a slasher or horror movie is the last one standing after the enemy has been defeated.

It also lampshades and toys with a darker trope of the woman as hidden devourer with her open mouth full of sharp teeth - the vagina dentata - a metonymy for the male fear of the female and her hidden sex and reproductive organs which is reinforced by the idea of the 'Hellmouth' as the dark place from which the unknown emanates. This is connected in many ways to rituals that represent the initiation into adulthood in various cultures. The boy's attempt at initiating sexual intercourse ends up in a failure of comprehension - a failure to see the false in the true, the monster in the human. In BtVS, we see that nothing is what it seems and the rite of passage to adulthood is fraught with dangers that we least expect.

I could say so much more about that, but I think that's enough!

- Favourite set:

Sunnydale High School. It's actually Torrance High School in Los Angeles and one of the most beautiful high schools in the US. It was designed by the Olmsted Brothers, sons of the famous architect who was commissioned to build many of the famous national parks across the US, including Central Park. Built in the early 20th century, it's a gorgeous combination of High Italian Renaissance form (the magnificent pillars that flank the entrance and ceramic titled roof), Spanish Colonial charm (the arched fanlight above so very popular in California) and a touch of Classical styling (flat window beneath a pediment.) From it's gorgeous Spanish Colonial quad to the octagonal library with amazing skylight, it's an incredible campus. The high school itself is so famous that it's become the backdrop for a lot of shows set in high school like Beverly Hills 90210, Medium and the Secret Life of the American Teenager.

- Favourite fight sequence:

Darla and Buffy in Angel. It's one of the few moments in Buffy before Seeing Red where a bad guys uses a gun to take out the Slayer and it's a doozy. I love Buffy's endless cartwheels as Darla shoots with both pistols as if she's at a shooting gallery. And the banter between them is far more interesting than most of Buffy's vampire battles.

DARLA: Do you know what the saddest thing in the world is?
                BUFFY: Bad hair on top of that outfit?
                DARLA: To love someone who used to love you.
                BUFFY: You guys were involved?
                DARLA: For several generations.
                BUFFY: Well, you been around since Columbus, you are bound to pile up a few ex's. You're older than him, right? Just between us girls, you are looking a little worn around the eyes.
                DARLA: I made him. There was a time when we shared everything, wasn't there Angelus? You had a chance to come home, to rule with me in the Master's court for a thousand years, but you threw that away because of her. You love someone who hates us. You're sick. And you'll always be sick. And you'll always remember what it was like to watch her die. You don't think I came alone, do you?
                BUFFY: I know I didn't.
                BUFFY kicks the crossbow up into her hands and aims it at Darla.
                DARLA: Hmm, scary.
                Darla produces two pistols from behind her back, one in each hand.
                DARLA: Scarier!
                Darla turns to shoots Angel, who staggers back and falls.
                DARLA: Oh, don't worry. Bullets can't kill vampires. Can hurt them like hell, but -
                Buffy dodges behind the pool table as Darla shoots with both barrels.
                (...)
                DARLA: So many body parts, so few bullets. Let's begin with the kneecaps. No fun dancing without them.
                Darla shoots off a few more rounds, and the pool table takes a few hits. Buffy pops up with the crossbow and hits Darla in the abdomen. Buffy watches as she straightens back up again.
                DARLA: Close, but no heart.
                Darla pulls the bolt out of her chest and throws it aside as she and Buffy continue to fire at each other.
                (...)
                DARLA: C'mon, Buffy. Take it like a man!
                Angel comes up behind her, roars and plunges the bolt into her back. As Darla cries out in pain, she turns to look at her attacker and addresses him in a plaintive voice.
                DARLA: Angel?
                Darla falls, bursting into ashes. Buffy rises to meet Angel's eyes before he quickly exits.
                The look in Darla's eyes before she dies is perfect.

I got one answer wrong - couldn't remember what Amy was eating.

Prophecy Girl
                Angel
                Welcome to the Hellmouth
                Last edited by American Aurora; 06-08-21, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                  StateOfSiege97 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info on the
                  architects of the high school: I
                  lived long in Buffalo, central parts
                  of which were Olmsted-planned....

(with two lovely Frank Lloyd Wrights... )

I was really surprised by your choice of emotional moment American Aurora and it made me reconsider the scene in trying to see what it is that you find sad within it. Is it a sense of loneliness from Angel, that he's been isolated?

I love what you wrote about the opening moments of Welcome to the Hellmouth. I can't remember ever consciously thinking about the scene setting for the series in those opening moments and how much information is established. Really interesting and something I'm going to be considering a lot more now.

Comment

I scored 92% in the quiz.

I got where the dead teacher was found in Teacher's Pet wrong. I wonder if I'm thinking of a different teacher.

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where did you put that they were found?

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                  I was really surprised by your choice of emotional moment American Aurora and it made me reconsider the scene in trying to see what it is that you find sad within it. Is it a sense of loneliness from Angel, that he's been isolated?
                  Yes, what I like about the scene is how deeply subtexual everything is. It’s not just Angel’s isolation - it’s his obvious realization and appreciation of all the human things that his soul has been missing for a hundred years. I’m not just talking about his love for Buffy, but the sensation of what it’s like to be accepted without much reservation. And I think this is what makes Buffy such a unique slayer - it’s her empathy and compassion for others. Buffy doesn’t ask him to leave because he’s wounded - she knows that their relationship is awkward, but even offers him her bed. It’s not her beauty, but her kindness that moves him - mainly because he feels he doesn’t deserve it.

But there are other aspects that really make the scene shine - especially all the immediate assumptions that she makes about Angel because she believes him to be a normal human guy. Questions that force Angel to grapple with feelings he’s ignored for a long time - his family, his reasons for dusting vampires, his lack of knowledge about whether he snores that stems from total isolation from others. For the first time since his siring - and perhaps even before that if you look at Liam’s history - Angel has a place in a human world where he’s a person who’s valued and thought worthy of special treatment. I’d say that the overwhelming feelings only intensify when he stays up in Buffy’s room all day and hears her mother bustling about, cleaning her daughter’s things, feeling the tremendous bond between mother and daughter. By the time Buffy returns, he’s all wound up and his soul is trembling in hope and fear - which is why I think he finally loses control.

If Spike’s issues are wrapped around creating a defensive persona to protect himself, Angel’s issues are more centered on his fears of control - that the calm, placid surface will suddenly shatter to reveal a ‘monster’ that isn’t completely due to his vampiric nature. I think his self-loathing - his hatred of his former self, LIam, because he was a selfish libertine who disappointed his family - has a lot to do with how Angel acts both as Angel and Angelus. Whereas William had a very different background that revolved more around his inability to socially connect with others and create healthy relationships rather than a deep self-loathing.

I really like the scene in Buffy’s bedroom because it’s a glimpse of the deep waters that connect the Angel who eats rats in alleyways with the Angel who eventually moves to LA and starts a detective agency. It reveals so much without having to show us anything concrete.

I love what you wrote about the opening moments of Welcome to the Hellmouth. I can't remember ever consciously thinking about the scene setting for the series in those opening moments and how much information is established. Really interesting and something I'm going to be considering a lot more now.
                  I think it’s a brilliant pilot episode.

Comment

Working...
                  X