Inspirational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirational

I'm creating this set of questions based on your inspirational and motivational moments in BtVS. It needs to connect to you as a user.

1) What's your inspirational scene?
    2) What's your motivational quote?
    3) Who is your inspirational character?
    4) What's the music you find inspirational?
    5) What outfit inspired you?
    6) What overall episode inspires you and motivates you in your daily routine?
    7) What's your inspirational season?
    Last edited by Brendan; 16-03-21, 11:17 AM.

So much of Buffy is inspiring, but the scene from Bring On The Night is pretty perfect.

Giles is pacing, talking. The slayers in training are sitting around the dining room table, along with Dawn and Anya. Xander and Willow are leaning against the wall.

GILES - We're back at square one.

XANDER - Which square would that be, exactly?

GILES - I'm not sure. The First predates everything we've ever known, or can know. It's everywhere. It's pure. I don't know if we can fight it.

Buffy walks in, and everyone turns to look, seemingly unaware that she'd been listening.

BUFFY (solemn) - You're right. We don't know how to fight it. We don't know when it'll come. We can't run, can't hide, can't pretend it's not the end, 'cause it is. Something's always been there to try and destroy the world. We've beaten them back, but we're not dealing with them anymore. We're dealing with the reason they exist. Evil. The strongest. The First.

GILES - Buffy, I—I-I know you're tired.

BUFFY (resolute) - I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of hell, and it is gonna swallow me whole. And it'll choke on me. We're not ready? They're not ready. They think we're gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run, do it now. 'Cause we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them, and cut out their hearts one by one, until The First shows itself for what it really is. And I'll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that's us. Any questions?

I guess it would be Buffy's above speech, but otherwise, simply because I am a massive Spuffy fan, it would be Buffy's lines from Never Leave me; "You faced the monster inside of you and you fought back. You risked everything to be a better man . . . And you can be. You are. You may not see it, but I do. I do. I believe in you, Spike.

Buffy. She faces so much and does it with humour and compassion, she rarely wavers, she's dedicated, brave and clever. She makes the tough choices when she needs to, but she's never hard or uncaring.

It would have to be the whole of Once More With Feeling My favourite song being 'Where Do We Go From Here'

I can't think of any outfit that inspired me, but seeing Spike dressed in tweeds and shadowing Giles in Restless always makes me smile. Love his blue shirt and khaki pants in Crush, when he's trying to me more Riley-ish because he sees Buffy likes that style.

Chosen. To see the potentials choose to be strong, to fight for a cause, to accept there is more meaning in their existence then they possibly knew. That's inspiring.

I love Season 7 but it's Season 6 that I find most inspirational. It doesn't matter how far you fall, how terrible the world becomes, how empty you feel, you can come back from anything. You can be happy and hopeful again and find new meaning and connections. What's been lost can always be found.

Comment

• Brendan
      Brendan commented
      Editing a comment
      Priceless I really enjoyed reading your answers.

Buffy in her white dress looking for the Master in Prophecy Girl. Not only is it one of Buffy's finest moments as a character and hero, it looks fantastic. Both the set they made for the Master and Buffy's look are so well done. It tells you everything you need to know of Buffy and BtVS.

If it's about a motivational quote that is meant to help/motivate a character: it's certainly Giles in Innocence. I don't think he has ever been more important for Buffy.

For me: I'll have to cheat and go to Ats. Maybe a bit of an UO, but the speeches and philosophical insights in BtVS never really worked for me. So Angel in Epiphany it is.

Angel : Well, I guess I kinda worked it out. If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. I fought for so long, for redemption, for a reward, and finally just to beat the other guy, but I never got it.

Kate Lockley : And now you do?

Angel : Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because, I don't think people should suffer as they do. Because, if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Certainly Buffy in the first few seasons. For a part it's also nostalgia, I was young and Buffy was my first female hero. But young Buffy is still awesome, so she deserves to be my inspirational character.

That said, I do think Angel deserves more credit thant he often gets though. The fact that the man is still standing after everything he went through and continues to fight, is beyond impressive.

BtVS music? I don't really have something that is still stuck in my head besides the intro and the Ats intro. Both are cool, but not all that inspirational to me.

Back to my first answer: the white dress with leather coat and crossbow. It's not something I would ever wear, but if Buffy was an outfit... she would be that one. And I think that's impressive work by the one responsible for that look. In the end that's what you want, an iconic look for a character.

None, I really enjoyed watching BtVS. It was never part of my daily life (beyond BF) though.

Season 2 I guess. It's the strongest season IMO. And in the end, a season makes the strongest impression when everything just works.

Like with question 2 and question 6, I can't really say BtVS every really inspired me though. It was amusement: it made me cry and it made me laugh. But it didn't teach me anything new, it didn't force me to look at life in a different way or inspire me.

Comment

I found this quite difficult because, like Nina , I think I watched the show and was emotionally connected to it, affected by it, but didn't automatically think of it as inspirational as such. But then I do think it opened my eyes to many things that are a part of growing up, that others go through, and that is a positive, inspirational lesson. Particularly combined with some of the ways that AtS phrased things. I agree again with Nina inspirational quotes spring to mind from AtS more, but it is often the same message - which I'll come to below.

There is going to be a reoccurring theme to my answers because that is what inspires me about BtVS, it's the sense of development and journey. The perseverance that we see from characters and the way they try. So I find it really difficult to think of one specific inspirational scene that depicts this best as there are a multitude of examples of times that characters showed determination and positively affected things around them. But for a simplistic display, let's go for Buffy and Willow sat on the bed at the end of Same Time, Same Place, coming through so much and still able to share strength and continue to support each other.

This is where I hit that difficult block where it is the AtS lines that spring to mind and, in particular, "if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do." But then this combines in my mind with Amends and a feeling of what inspired Angel ties the two. I am no fan of the magic snow but I love Amends as a character episode for Angel. And the discussion between Angel and Buffy at the end is really good. So, when I think of this line from AtS, I also think of that scene and Buffy telling Angel that everyone is weak and everyone fails but being strong is continuing to try and to fight, even though it's hard.

It honestly also brings the Never Leave Me moment to mind too that Priceless quoted, and genuinely was another that I considered when I first read the question. Like the STSP moment as well, it's all about continuing and trying to be better, being supported in becoming so, believing in the possibility that you can make a difference. They all tie for me.

I find so many of the characters show the traits that I think are inspirational in showing perseverance and the determination to keep trying. Angel and Spike are two of my favourite characters for their paths and development through the shows. So, as she influenced and inspired them both, was key in all the answers I've given so far, I'll have to say Buffy. On a first watch I really didn't appreciate her character as well as I do now but talking about the themes and stories of the verse has built up my appreciation for what a compelling character she is.

Generally, classical music tends to make me feel more zen. I don't tend to notice the general music inverse unless I deliberately put thought into how it is being used within a scene. Obviously, OMWF is very specific, different. But I wouldn't say that I feel inspired by the songs in that. So, I'll have to go for the theme tunes for BtVS and AtS. I really love them both and hearing them brings all the warm fuzzies to mind that the shows give me.

I'm not especially interested in the outfits but I would agree with Nina that the Prophecy Girl one is a classic and really represents Buffy and the show. But for variety I'll go for the only other one that really stands out to me for exactly the same reasons and that's the image of Buffy in the Hellmouth in Chosen dressed in what I think is a really smart combination, wielding the scythe. It's an incredible visual that I think works so well alongside the PG one.

I think if S1 Buffy could look forward and see that she'd love how adult yet stylish she looks and powerful (and she'd definitely want to have a go with the scythe). Equally, whilst I think there is the chance it'd make her feel tired so many years of fighting had passed, I believe S7 Buffy would look back on herself in the PG outfit with the crossbow in hand and be proud of herself for continuing to fight even though it's hard and being so brave and determined at such a young age. (There's that reoccurring theme again ).

Possibly strangely, Earshot. It is one of my favourite episodes and I think alongside all of the amazing feats the group achieve the acknowledgement that even the heroes have limits, that everyone has their own problems is both reassuring and also a great reminder that everyone around you has things to deal with too. It actually helps me to remember to be considerate of others around me on a daily basis.

There are moments in all of them. I love Spike's journey through the show the most and his arc gives me a lot of joy, so I'll have to say S7 for seeing where everyone had come to and with the theme of becoming the best person you can be and empowering others it proudly waves a lot of the positive messages I think the show's inspirational elements are built upon.

Comment

There are many, so the one I pick is not my one and only, it's just the one that inspires me today. Tomorrow it might be a different one. It's the scene in the Magic Box in The Gift where Buffy tells everyone: "Everybody knows their jobs. Remember, the ritual starts, we all die. And I'll kill anyone who comes near Dawn."

She is up against a hell god. The odds are not in her favor. Her mother is dead. Her watcher has threatened to kill her. The world is about to end. But she doesn't waver. She keeps fighting.

That one never changes. It has been the same from the first time I have watched BtVS until today. It's Buffy in First Dates: "You can't beat evil by doing evil."

Buffy.

From BtVS specifically? I don't listen to the music very closely (although I have a cd with the soundtrack lying around somewhere). I always had a very soft spot for the Touched song It's Only Love by Heather Nova.

There are so many inspirational outfits on Buffy (and really awful ones as well). Again I can only name the outfit I find inspirational today. I might name a completely different one tomorrow. But for today I am going with the outfit Buffy wears in the sword fight with Angel in Becoming Part II.

This is an outfit that is strong but feminine at the same. It stands for how far Buffy has come over the whole course of season 2.

That's a tough one. I don't think I can name a single episode because they are all together inspirational for me.

Season 6 and season 7. I have to name them both because they are two parts of a whole.

flow

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
          StateOfSiege97 commented
          Editing a comment
          oh @flow—

it is nice to know that someone else shares
          my soft spot for "It's Only Love"—

and it is not really my kind of music....

Working...
      X