No announcement yet.

Famous guest stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joel Grey was probably the biggest one. He's won a raft of awards including an Oscar, a Tony, a Golden Globe and a Grammy, as well as many others..

He's probably not famous but George the janitor in IOHEFY is sings Ali's songs in Aladdin.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

How about Doug Jones? He was one of the Gentlemen. I don't know how famous he is considered, but he's certainly carved a specific career and had a lot of major rolesy since then: in Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, The Shape of Water (male lead!), Star Trek: Discovery, What We Do in the Shadows... even though you usually don't see his real face.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Found out "Inca Mummy Girl" has two guest actors whose careers have gotten much bigger since their appearance on Buffy.

First is Clayne Crawford. Then going by his original name of Joey Crawford, he played Xander's former bully, Rodney Munson, who quickly became Ampata's first victim in the episode (also possibly the first mummified corpse with braces). Afterwards, he went on to make appearances in (just a few examples) TV shows like the first three shows of the CSI franchise, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Justified, 24, Leverage, NCIS: New Orleans, and Jericho. He was a regular on Sundance Channel's Rectify, for which he was nominated for a Critics' Choice Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 2016. Perhaps his biggest (and also most infamous) TV role was as Martin Riggs in the TV adaptation of Lethal Weapon, alongside Damon Wayans as Roger Murtaugh. After numerous instances of "hostility" between Crawford and the crew, and allegations by Wayans that Crawford engaged in reckless endangerment while directing an episode of the show, Crawford was fired after the show's second season and his character killed off. He's also appeared in numerous films, from A Walk to Remember and Swimfan to Smokin' Aces 2: Assassin's Ball to last year's The Killing of Two Lovers.

Next is Gil Birmingham, a Native American actor who played Ampata's knife-wielding "guardian" who was killed by her in the girl's restroom at Sunnydale High. Birmingham was a petrochemical engineer and bodybuilder whose acting career started when he was cast in a 1982 Diana Ross music video after he was spotted in a gym. Over the years, he's done both live action and voice work in numerous TV shows (including Riptide, The Wild Thornberrys, Banshee, House of Cards, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Siren) and films (including House II: The Second Story, Skins, all the Twilight movies as Billy Black, Hell or High Water, Wind River, and this years's MCU offering Eternals). He'll be a recurring character on the Netflix series Pieces of Her and is currently a series regular on the Paramount Network's Yellowstone, which also stars a bunch of relative unknowns including Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, Kelly Reilly, and Kevin Costner.

Comment

Clayne Crawford was great in Rectify. I'd recommend the show if people haven't seen it. It's about a man on death row who ends up being released and how he settles back into a hostile world.

Comment

Did anyone mention Harry Groener? Mayor Wilkins is frequently listed as the best Buffy villain. I saw him as the lead in Crazy for You on Broadway - singing and dancing through the most memorable Gershwin tunes - My Embraceable You, I Got Rhythm, Someone to Watch Over Me, etc. He was remarkable: trained in ballet, theater and song - a wonderfully talented man who also made a splash on Broadway in Oklahoma! I know someone who is on a first-name basis with him and describes him as a loving and kind person. When I first watched Buffy, I was surprised to see him in a non-musical part, but he turned out to be perfect for the role.

Also, I have to mention Amber Tamblyn who was in All the Way. She was in dozens of television shows and movies although I'm not sure she is a dancer like her father Russ Tamblyn. She has done so many things - acting, directing; poet, author - truly a "woman for all seasons".

Both of these actors have a list of credits a mile long.

Comment

• TimeTravellingBunny
              TimeTravellingBunny commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched a show called Joan of Arkadia with her as the lead, but never made the connection.

I don't think either of those have been mentioned Tiny Tabby . I'm not surprised that Mayor Wilkins was an accomplished actor, he has such presence, but I am surprised he is a Broadway lead. I may have been told that before, but I hadn't retained it if I had. I really want to see him in something now, I can't imagine it.

I didn't know about Janice actress Amber Tamblyn. It might be that she hasn't been on as much UK viewed shows perhaps. Looking at her IMDB The Ring is the only thing I think I would have seen her in.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              I don't think either of those have been mentioned Tiny Tabby . I'm not surprised that Mayor Wilkins was an accomplished actor, he has such presence, but I am surprised he is a Broadway lead. I may have been told that before, but I hadn't retained it if I had. I really want to see him in something now, I can't imagine it. .
              Oh, I think there are lots of clips online.

Here's a clip from the Tony Awards of his wonderful performance in Crazy for You opposite Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel in the original animated film, The Little Mermaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJIB3Ib-mM

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Tabby View Post

Oh, I think there are lots of clips online.

Here's a clip from the Tony Awards of his wonderful performance in Crazy for You opposite Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel in the original animated film, The Little Mermaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJIB3Ib-mM
                Like so many guest stars on Buffy, Harry Groener was a superstar of musical theater at the time he was cast in Buffy. Joss Whedon sure did love his musicals.

I've seen him perform live on stage many times and he's a fantastic character actor even when playing a lead, both musicals and plays.

He's also written a few plays and adaptations that were well received.

Comment

Working...
                X