Famous guest stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous guest stars

I was watching the S5 episode "family" and was surprised to see Amy Adam's as Beth (Tara's cousin). Were any of the Buffy guest stars already household names? In my memory they were all unknown at the time, perhaps for budget reasons? I think I've read Brittany Spears was supposed to play April (Warren's robot) but obviously did not. I would love to know if anyone remembers if budget effected casting.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

I think John Ritter who played Ted was already a big name.

It's funny how many people now suddenly realise that Pedro Pascal (The Mandalorian, Game of Thrones) was in Buffy before he was famous.

I had a similar experience when I noticed that John Hawkes (who played Sol Star on Deadwood) was the janitor in "I Only Have Eyes For You".
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Ashanti as Lissa in First Date was probably the most prominent guest star who was on the show because she was famous but not necessarily for being an actress. It was a cameo similar to what Britney Spears as the Aprilbot would have been like.

flow

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooops, we posted so close together when I posted below yours wasn't showing, so I unknowingly just repeated the Ashanti suggestion.

Wasn't Ashanti Douglas who plays the demon Xander dates in First Date in S7 already well known?

EDIT: Oh, and Joel Grey of course, Doc from S5.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
        StateOfSiege97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Joel Grey will always be my favorite:

Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret—

Hinton Battle was certainly well known when he appeared in Buffy. He had a huge Broadway career.

For example, while the Trio may have never bothered to watch Red Dwarf "because it's not out on DVD yet", I do have the Red Dwarf DVDs and at 6:45 on this special feature you can hear Red Dwarf star Danny John-Jules gushing about Hinton Battle, who was scheduled to play his character in the US remake:
      https://youtu.be/R5B9iycpd08
      Last edited by PuckRobin; 31-12-20, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, of course, Sweet!

• PuckRobin
        PuckRobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, three Tonys is pretty impressive.

I think Ritter was the only household name in the US aside from Ashanti in S7 unless you count musicians playing. Mostly it was character actors. I have never wholly believed the Britney thing based solely on my disbelief the show could ever afford Spears.

Comment

• PuckRobin
        PuckRobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. John Ritter was certainly a big name. (The star of among other things Three's Company, the US remake of Man About the House which ran for many, many years and lived on in reruns for decades.)

How about freakin' Mando - Pedro Pascal - as Dead Eddie from "The Freshman"? I only learned that a few days ago.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        I missed that connection! Cool!

• Double Dutchess
        Double Dutchess commented
        Editing a comment
        Hee, thank you for illustrating my point above

PuckRobin

Ritter was also in the Problem Child movie series and was in a show that ran almost 3 seasons prior to BTVS. I'd say he's definitely the most widely known actor to take on a role in the show. There are others that genre fans might recognize like Armin, who was in pretty much every sci-fi show ever and Brian Thompson who was also in a lot of sci-fi shows. Jeff Kober was also recognizable. I recognized Amy Adams when it aired from a terrible horror movie called Psycho Beach Party where she played the girlfriend of none other than Nic Brendon.

Comment

I loved seeing Armin Shimerman appear as both Quark and Snyder for three seasons. I think a lot of the others like the Mandalorian star or Wentworth Miller became big after Buffy. Oh, Lindsay Crouse had some impressive credits.

Comment

Jeremy Renner was Vampire Penn on Angel.

Comment

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            Christina Hendricks also played a small role in Ats s1. She was the Irish 18th century barmaid in The Prodigal.

I was surprised to see Amy Adams as Beth in Family.

Comment

Not a guest star but Gunn's character was named after James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) who work in Angel (with his brother, I think) along with his brother.

Comment

I was thinking that the musical acts didn't count, but I realized that one did have a small speaking role, so she counts. And she was already famous.

Aimee Mann in Sleeper - who hates vampire towns.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                StateOfSiege97 commented
                Editing a comment
                oh yes—
                adore Aimee Mann, especially
                that album: Lost in Space...

Which reminds me Bif Naked performed but didn't speak. She's a Vancouver girl as is Mercedes McNab.

Comment

Come to think of it, Anthony Stewart Head -- his face, not so much his name -- was known for the very popular coffee commercial soap operas that aired on both sides of the Atlantic. (Although the coffee brands changed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXpQxnkf2l0

I must admit though that while I remember these commercials very well, it wasn't so well that I immediately recognized him when I first saw Buffy.

P.S.: You might say he's not a guest star but the credits of seasons 6 and 7 beg to differ.
                Last edited by PuckRobin; 03-01-21, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Let's not ignore the Master himself, Mark Metcalf, AKA Neidermeyer from National Lampoon's Animal House and similar characters in two different Twisted Sister music videos.

John Rubinstein, who played evil lawyer Linwood in several episodes of AtS, is an established character actor, director, and musician whose career began in 1967. His father was Arthur Rubinstein, the concert pianist. He originated the title role in Bob Fosse's Pippin and won several awards for his performance in the Broadway version of Children of a Lesser God in 1980. (from his entries on IMDB and Wikipedia)

Comment

• American Aurora
                    American Aurora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I forgot about Rubinstein! Lots of Broadway actors on Buffy.

• GoSpuffy
                    GoSpuffy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Evil lawyer lin wood" from Florida by any chance? Lol

Daniel Dae Kim is another and he played Laywer Gavin on Angel

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What's said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I'm re-watching The West Wing and I'm on WW 4.01-02 and Amy Adams is in "20 Hours in America". I had forgotten she was in The West Wing. I remember she was in an episode of Smallville and what her role was. I remember she played Tara Maclay's cousin in "Family" (B 5.06).

* BtVS spent its money on the writing, the production, the special effects, etc. and eventually on the cast when it moved to UPN. There wasn't really money for famous guest stars. The cast and writers on BtVS after BtVS S1 were on the show because they loved the show. David Fury, Jane Espenson, Douglas Petrie, etc. were fans of the show after watching it. James Marsters and Michelle Trachtenberg were fans of the show after watching it.

Sarah McLachlan and Gavin Rossdale of Bush were fans and that's a big reason key songs of theirs were used in BtVS.

And BtVS has so much staying power largely because the media and the critics were huge fans of the show.

Comment

• BtVS fan
                      BtVS fan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ashanti was a famous Guest Star

https://youtu.be/M1YpRYQDUbM

Great guest star video!

Comment

Total credit goes to Liam Duke for this spot. Even as he said it I was doubtful but I looked it up and he's right, Michael Cudlitz who plays Abraham in The Walking Dead was Bob in The Zeppo. Such a great spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X