Fray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
    Maybe the language was made more complicated, because we are experiencing everything from Buffy's perspective.
    Very good point, that had not even occurred to me. From now on, that is my canon
    Last edited by Priceless; 26-03-18, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Very good point, that had not even occurred to me. From not on, that is my canon
      I'm honestly not sure. Is it happening in "real time" or is it recall (as Spike was in FfL) or retelling? If it's recall, I'd agree. If it's real time then it's direct unmediated speech - not reported speech and while there's a subjective element of POV in looking - hearing is more objective. In addition, I think Fray itself plays with phonetics (Harth isn't a word - Hearth is but they both sound the same) so there's a difference between written and spoken language.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        I'm honestly not sure. Is it happening in "real time" or is it recall (as Spike was in FfL) or retelling? If it's recall, I'd agree. If it's real time then it's direct unmediated speech - not reported speech and while there's a subjective element of POV in looking - hearing is more objective. In addition, I think Fray itself plays with phonetics (Harth isn't a word - Hearth is but they both sound the same) so there's a difference between written and spoken language.
        Many writers allow the main subjects perspective to inform the narration even if they are using the third person limited. In Fray, we are supposed to feel relatively at ease in this strange world. In S8, we follow Buffy to a bizarre and alien new place.

It may also be that Joss simply had more time to develop the lingo

Comment

Working...
        X