Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Buffy's hand scarred

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Was Buffy's hand scarred

    Spoiler:
    After it was burned in chosen?
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

  • #2
    No, but season 8 started a year and a half after Chosen. Even without the special Slayer healing, her burns would've been gone long before that.

    I'm not sure why you put that in spoiler tags, it's less of a spoiler than anything else in the Comics section since it's about Chosen.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

    Comment


    • #3
      OK thanks

      I was unsure wether I had to use spoiler tags for that or not *newbie*

      I'm surprised because they were holding hands for a rater long time...
      Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
      the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

      Comment


      • #4
        She reacts to the flame in the scene, but her hand is never shown as having been burned. Special rules for special fire, perhaps.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

        Comment


        • #5
          I always thought that we're supposed to regard it as metaphoric fire of love.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Moscow Watcher View Post
            I always thought that we're supposed to regard it as metaphoric fire of love.
            that is exactly what it is I agree

            But kind of wish she had a scar from it so that it left a mark of that moment.
            Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
            the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

            Comment


            • #7
              It would be nice if there was some mark from that moment, but it appears comic!Buffy has forgot all of season 7 except for the fact that Spike has a soul now.
              "You were meant for me, made for me. It's why you had to be turned, so you could wait for me"

              A Gem of a Soul by Spuffy Luvr

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mike13z50 View Post
                It would be nice if there was some mark from that moment, but it appears comic!Buffy has forgot all of season 7 except for the fact that Spike has a soul now.
                That is why I'm finding it hard to take the comics seriously compared to the show. I cant understand why Joss has done this

                I still stick by my opinion that I will not regard the comics as cannon, to me they are like indiana Jones 4, its more of a spiritual successor than an actual successor.
                Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
                the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

                Comment


                • #9
                  If the show went in another season, I think they would have mentioned it again. It's such a nice moment, it's a shame that it was forgotten.
                  I always thought it was a metaphor that they were soul mates. Spike was saying that he could feel his soul just moments before.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As much as I would like to have some recognition of any sort of past canon with Buff and Spike (and this is coming from a non-shipper), as far as the burning hands and canon goes, I don't remember seeing any sort of burning or scarring of Buffy's hand in the final scene when they all stood on the edge of the crater. Which I just assumed meant that either Buffy's Slayer healing powers are just THAT good (notice she wasn't feeling much pain from being run through with the sword either) or else the fire was more magical/mystical than real, actual flames.
                    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

                    Si vis pacem, para bellum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well the fire burned Spike to cinders so it wasn't entirely mystical, well not for long. But essentially I agree with this, he was being shot through with sunlight, he could feel his soul but at the point when Buffy clasped his hand he wasn't dust and wasn't screaming so I think it was indeed a mystically special flamey moment (technical as always, I know, I know you all live for my verbally dextrous descriptions, what can I say, it is in my profession).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is there seriously not even one mention of the "I love you" she whispered to him in season 7?


                        If so I wonder why that is..
                        Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
                        the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mike13z50 View Post
                          It would be nice if there was some mark from that moment, but it appears comic!Buffy has forgot all of season 7 except for the fact that Spike has a soul now.

                          Yeah soon as season 9 started I got this ever growing feeling that the writers were gradually trying to retcon Buffy/Spikes past for as you say they both behave as If season 7 never happened.

                          Weird and bloody annoying quite frankly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                            Yeah soon as season 9 started I got this ever growing feeling that the writers were gradually trying to retcon Buffy/Spikes past for as you say they both behave as If season 7 never happened.

                            Weird and bloody annoying quite frankly.
                            And depressing. After the end of the show I have been for years the staunchiest defender of Buffy's love for Spike in season 7, arguing to support it until I was blue in the face (and all argued-out). The comics have made me change my mind for the most part, they have been corroding my Spuffy faith to the core. That's the power of their charm! LOL

                            I should have continued ignoring them in order not to retroactively spoil the show for me, but now it's too late!! I still have a tiny hope for the future, although I probably really shouldn't! Hope refuses to die.

                            |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                            Icon by xiperita

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lyri View Post
                              As much as I would like to have some recognition of any sort of past canon with Buff and Spike (and this is coming from a non-shipper), as far as the burning hands and canon goes, I don't remember seeing any sort of burning or scarring of Buffy's hand in the final scene when they all stood on the edge of the crater. Which I just assumed meant that either Buffy's Slayer healing powers are just THAT good (notice she wasn't feeling much pain from being run through with the sword either) or else the fire was more magical/mystical than real, actual flames.
                              Her Slayer healing was never that good that wouldn't feel pain from being run over a sword (definitely not just mystical) or a burn. But I assumed that she just wasn't paying attention to the pain with everything that was happening.

                              Originally posted by BuffySpike View Post
                              Is there seriously not even one mention of the "I love you" she whispered to him in season 7?


                              If so I wonder why that is..
                              Because that scene was obviously written to be the end of their story, and neither Joss nor any other of the writers have a clue how to continue from there with the two of them talking openly about their feelings and their past, without resolving the UST and probably getting into a relationship. And we can't have that, we can't have Buffy in a relationship and we need to prolong things, so we have to contrive reasons for her and Spike not to be together.

                              Originally posted by Francy View Post
                              And depressing. After the end of the show I have been for years the staunchiest defender of Buffy's love for Spike in season 7, arguing to support it until I was blue in the face (and all argued-out). The comics have made me change my mind for the most part, they have been corroding my Spuffy faith to the core. That's the power of their charm! LOL

                              I should have continued ignoring them in order not to retroactively spoil the show for me, but now it's too late!! I still have a tiny hope for the future, although I probably really shouldn't! Hope refuses to die.
                              So why was Spike presented as one of the two greatest ('truest') loves of her life in season 8 dreams and fantasies then? It doesn't make sense, unless she was also never supposed to love Angel, either - why put the two of them at the same level? They could have had Riley, or Parker there instead...
                              Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 12-05-12, 12:00 PM.
                              You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post


                                So why was Spike presented as one of the two greatest ('truest') loves of her life in season 8 dreams and fantasies then? It doesn't make sense, unless she was also never supposed to love Angel, either - why put the two of them at the same level? They could have had Riley, or Parker there instead...
                                I don't like how they pushed the reset bottom. They have avoided dealing with issues that normally would have to be dealt with, or at least addressed, between two people who share a history, and it feels artificial to me. The Spike and Buffy interaction in the comics feels more like a blank new slate than a continuation of what we saw in the show.

                                I'm not saying it's impossible that we are going to get some great Spuffy in the future. It's that I don't really like the approach they have taken in the comics so far in terms of storytelling, it could have been handled differently (and better).

                                YMMV.

                                |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                                Icon by xiperita

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Francy View Post
                                  And depressing. After the end of the show I have been for years the staunchiest defender of Buffy's love for Spike in season 7, arguing to support it until I was blue in the face (and all argued-out). The comics have made me change my mind for the most part, they have been corroding my Spuffy faith to the core. That's the power of their charm! LOL

                                  I should have continued ignoring them in order not to retroactively spoil the show for me, but now it's too late!! I still have a tiny hope for the future, although I probably really shouldn't! Hope refuses to die.

                                  Well for me anyway they've become so utterly stupid plot wise that It makes it easier to dismiss them as nothing more then (at best) Whedons own type of crackfic.

                                  That and the fact he'll probably having less and less to do with them creatively due to more important engagements.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Francy View Post
                                    I don't like how they pushed the reset bottom. They have avoided dealing with issues that normally would have to be dealt with, or at least addressed, between two people who share a history, and it feels artificial to me. The Spike and Buffy interaction in the comics feels more like a blank new slate than a continuation of what we saw in the show.
                                    I don't think it looks like a blank slate - a lot of their scenes were quite loaded with history (especially those written by Joss, who actually knows to write layered dynamics) but I agree that they are avoiding dealing with anything - not because anyone wants to bury Spuffy, but because, like I said, the writers have no clue how to have them openly talk about any of that without getting them together, so there's a lot of artificial contrivance in order to keep the avoidance.

                                    What is particularly annoying is that we might never get any conversation between them about post-Chosen, Buffy won't ask him why he didn't tell her he was back from the dead and he won't explain, and she won't tell him how she found out and how she fell about it, and he won't ask - it looks like it will probably be left to us to fill in the blanks, but this is really unfinished business between the two of them they would have to deal with. However, it seems that none of the writers seem to know how to deal with it. Spike not calling Buffy was written just because he had to be on AtS and SMG wasn't going to guest star - and Joss might think he wrote himself into a corner there so he's trying to ignore it. Which is a really big failure as a writer - you have to know the way to write yourself out of the corner rather than pretending that you're suddenly somewhere else and not in that corner and insulting people's intelligence. A lot of people on this forum and in fandom have been offering explanations for Spike's and Buffy's behavior, feelings and motives post-Chosen that can work perfectly fine for both of them without making either of them not care about each other, so I don't know why the writers can't do the same. Just have them have one bloody conversation, just 2-3 panels. But I guess that would take away the time from people talking about the Seed for the 100th time.
                                    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Lets just hope we finally get those few panels in issue 10. So we at least know where they stand. I don't think it's something that can be fully resolved in one issue. But I'm hoping once Spike leaves we get some scenes where Buffy's thinking about him, or even talking to someone like Dawn about him. The same goes for Spike. Is that to much to ask for?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Its Anita View Post
                                        Lets just hope we finally get those few panels in issue 10. So we at least know where they stand. I don't think it's something that can be fully resolved in one issue.
                                        If we ever do get these panels, it probably won't be in issue 10. They will probably talk about Buffy having been a robot and Buffy wanting to have a normal life and about Spike being a vampire and that she can't have a normal life with a vampire.

                                        But I'm hoping once Spike leaves we get some scenes where Buffy's thinking about him, or even talking to someone like Dawn about him. The same goes for Spike. Is that to much to ask for?
                                        I'm torn between thinking that will certainly happen because it would be good storytelling, and expecting to see none of it based on the depth of writing we've had so far in season 9, where focusing on a current plot point usually means ignoring almost everything else. That part of me is fearing that we'll get nothing from Buffy for several issues, until one scene where Spike is mentioned and she gets sad and thinks "I miss Spike", because for some writers, the only way to show a character missing someone is to have them actually say it.
                                        Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 12-05-12, 01:20 PM.
                                        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X