No announcement yet.

The Season 10 Thread 2 - Discussion, Speculation and News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't really know if this was worth creating its own thread but today is Dark Horse Day and the free Dark Horse Day sampler was released at participating comic shops.The issue features a new season 10 story by Christos Gage and art by Juanan Ramirez.I got my copy just now..The story is titled,"Where Are They Now?"The story is set before the most recent issues(The gang still have the book,Buffy/Spike are still a couple and it's safe to say that Xander and Dawn are still in our universe)

The preview pages give the basic setup.Harmony and Clem are filming a documentary about how much has changed for everyone and they are basically following Buffy annoying her and insulting her.The preview showed them bugging her at the laundry mat and asking about breaking the rules and sharing her powers to activate all the slayers and how that makes her boring now.Harmony also warns that she is hearing that someone is out to kill her which proves to be true when she is almost electrocuted when she steps in a wire left in a puddle.

The story then continues with Harmony and Clem once again dropping in on Buffy,this time while she is on a date with Spike.And once again she throws some insulting comments at Buffy and Spike and their releationship and the fact she breaking the rules again by dating another vampire.What right does she have to keep breaking the rules.Basically saying how Buffy is getting old and Spike has lost his edge since they've been dating.That Buffy's leashed him and he's gotten boring.Harmony asks if there is already trouble in paradise if they have to schedule a date night.She wonders if the passion is fading between Buffy/Spike along with Buffy's youthful looks.

And yes this sequence does seem to be teasing the current(#27) and upcoming(# 28)issues.

Once again though another attempt is made on Buffy's life.This time a runaway streetcar whose brakes have been messed with.Buffy,Spike,and Harmony stop the streetcar with their combined strength.

For a third time Harmony and Clem pop in with their cameras to annoy Buffy.This time while she's with Giles.Again Harmony makes her usual Harmony like insults.Pointing out that Giles is a old man's mind stuck in a boring kid's body and what right do they have to define the new rules of magic.Is it just Narcissism?

Before Giles can get far in explaining why they are in charge of the new rules of magic,Buffy's finally has had enough and is going to pound Harmony to a pulp.Before she can get on that though,Giles recognizes Harmony and Clem's sound man as a former watcher in training.Buffy realizes it was him and Harmony's camera man, a vampire who were behind the attempts on her life.The former watcher wants Buffy dead for tampering with primordial forces and the vampre wants Buffy dead for the same basic reasons.

Harmony is pissed because these two almost got her killed while trying to kill Buffy and that's not what she hired them for.She hired them to film a documentary,not kill Buffy(atleast not kill her too while trying to kill Buffy.lol). So Harmony joins in with Buffy and Giles to take them down.Buffy slays the vampire while Giles immobilizes the former watcher in training who is turned over to the police.

The issue ends with Harmony pointing out that a rogue watcher and vampire hate Buffy so much that they teamed up.Doesn't that stop Buffy and make her think.Rules exist for a reason.When you break so many of them(which Buffy has),sooner or later,won't you break everything?

Buffy tells Harmony and Clem in a very pissed off face,that the interviews are over.Clem says,that's cool since with no camera or sound guys now,they don't know how to run the equipment anyway.

The final two panels are Harmony adding that Buffy just doesn't care.That she will continue to blaze her own trail and break the rules.So the question is,does this make Buffy the best slayer ever or the worst?As Harmony says this walking away,we see a dejected look on Buffy's face.

I thought this was a fun little story that teases the current goings on in the monthly.
    Last edited by BAF; 04-06-16, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• First advanced Buffy # 28 review.Spoilerish

http://www.wickedhorror.com/horror-r...ire-slayer-28/

Spoiler:
      Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #28

June 16, 2016By Nat Brehmer

I know of several fans who stopped reading the comic because of something they were certain was going to happen in this issue. So, obviously, there’s no way to avoid spoilers because we’re going to address that topic pretty openly. The last issue ended with Spike telling Buffy that he thought it would be best if they broke up. Now, Buffy fans take their shipping very, very seriously. And people have dreamed of Buffy and Spike as an actual, healthy couple for a long time. For over ten years, in fact. To actually see this in the comic book, to finally have that relationship be validated on such an amazing scale, I understand why they feel everything so deeply. I really do.

But I also love the way this issue plays with certain expectations. We’re not used to happiness in the Buffy universe. It’s not something that tends to stick around. Healthy couples don’t usually get to stay healthy or even together for very long, especially couples that either Buffy or Spike are a part of. That’s not to mention the fact that when Buffy and Spike were initially put together way back when, the relationship was very pointedly toxic. But they were different people then. And that, really, is what this issue is all about.

What happens is that Spike tells Buffy that it would be so much easier if they broke up now in order to avoid hurting each other even more later on, and Buffy tells him “No.” Now, just reading that at first might sound bad, because it’s generally considered bad form if you don’t just let someone break up with you. But everything that follows her saying that is kind of beautiful.

The bulk of this issue is a genuinely adult conversation about conducting adult relationships. It is, in essence, the story of Buffy and Spike and everything that brought them to this point. Of course it would be easier to call it quits, but the easiest thing is very seldom the best thing to do when you love someone. They’ve both had their share of troubles in past relationships, especially with each other, and they acknowledge that. Buffy is frankly glad to hear he’s having doubts and admits that she has her own and that that’s the healthy thing to do. Have doubts. Talk through them and be stronger for doing so.

And Spike, God bless him, acknowledges the unhealthy way he obsessed over Buffy. He talks about how he put her on a pedestal and is perfectly self-aware without taking us out of the moment. He throws away the notion of Buffy, the goddess he worshipped for so long. Spike finally discards that and focuses on Buffy the woman. She’s flawed and he’s flawed and they both love each other for it and that’s a place I’ve been rooting for these characters to reach for a long, long time.

But the issue is not solely devoted to Buffy and Spike by any means. Dawn and Xander have an incredible journey home, an adventure that’s probably an epic in its own right but that we see just the right fleeting moments of in order to be totally satisfied with. As friends or romantic partners, the trust and strength they find in each other is incredible. I know not everyone loves the arc Dawn has taken this season, but I do.

I’m in the vocal minority, but Dawn has always been one of my favorite characters. And while I love the comics, she definitely got the short end of the stick in terms of characterization in both season eight and season nine. Things happened to her and other people had to solve them and fix them. In this arc, Dawn has found an incredible strength and she’s found herself lost. But now she’s not only using that strength, she’s relying on her own largely untapped wit and intelligence to navigate her way through Hell and back to Earth, with only Xander’s trust and support in her as her guide. Plus, in the middle of all of this, we finally get to see the world of nothing but shrimp.

Willow, too, also has some nice moments as she realizes that while she doesn’t disagree with the reasons she chose to work alongside the military, they will always have a different agenda. Andrew, too, also comes to terms with some incredibly important things about himself.

In general, this is a beamingly positive issue, overall. Yes, that probably means something bad is going to happen and as we head into the final two issues of the season it’s clear that the gang are in for a hell of a fight. But for basically the first time this season, I am certain that whatever is coming, they can kick its ass. This group is back and working as a unit again and they are doing it in a way that feels not only earned, but necessary. Whatever they’ve done, even if they’ve never been a truly core part of the group, they are now. If anything ever made Andrew’s place in the ensemble official, this is it.

If people have abandoned ship—pardon the pun—I’d advise them to hop back on board, because season 10 is drawing toward a really promising close that leaves me more excited for the upcoming season than I’ve ever been.

WICKED RATING: 8 Stars (8 / 10)

Comment

• Well something terrible can of course happen in the end, especially considering the potential foreshadowing (or misleads obviously) of D'Hoffryn's comment about losing someone and all those gravestones on the final issue cover. But these developments don't surprise me and fit with the season theme of maturity. I'll be interested to see what exactly the Andrew developments are as he has had a reasonably repeated story presence this season and there is of course still Jonathan in the mix.

Comment

• There's nothing mature about rehashing nonsense the show did 13 years ago. No matter how many times Gage keeps repeating it, Spike never put Buffy on a pedestal and the doubts they had never had any tangibility in the framework of either of their storylines. Whole thing sounds like a less-poetic version of Touched.

Blatantly spoiling to keep fans reading is kind of funny, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            But these developments don't surprise me and fit with the season theme of maturity.
            Yeah, Gage has been building Buffy and Spike quite nicely, both of them have changed and matured and now they reached the same place together. It reminds me what Andrew said in The Girl in Question so many years ago:

ANDREW: Ohhh. The point is she's moving on. You guys do the same, and you might catch her one day. One of you, anyway. But you keep running in place, you're gonna find she's long gone.

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            Well something terrible can of course happen in the end, especially considering the potential foreshadowing (or misleads obviously) of D'Hoffryn's comment about losing someone and all those gravestones on the final issue cover.
            Yeah, that's something to worry about... it reminds me Willow and Tara - supreme bliss, and then...

D'Hoffryn... he now has the Soul Glutton's Trident, I hope that it cannot be used to "eat" souls...
            Last edited by betta; 16-06-16, 10:57 PM.
            My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Comment

• Preview for BTVS S10 issue #29

Last edited by Silver1; 28-06-16, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Nice to have the characters admit they're knee-deep in an idiot plot.

Comment

• Not going to do them much good now though is it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                    Nice to have the characters admit they're knee-deep in an idiot plot.
                    We have GOT to tweet that to Gage or confront him with it if Slay Alive ever does another Q & A with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                      Not going to do them much good now though is it.
                      Nope. And it certainly won't help prevent another one since you can't fix stupid.

Comment

• It seems more people are realizing how "stupid" Season 10 is.

Depending on what is canon, the only reason Spike is in the Scooby Gang is to be with Buffy. If he wants to 'break up', he could easily form his own very powerful gang. He has Beck, the 'Spikettes', maybe Spider aka Maria Harley, and he would have Illyria/Fred if Season 10 actually flowed from the IDW stuff.

It is increasingly obvious that Willow should have simply kept the Seedling inside of her.

In "Selfless" (B 7.05), D'Hoffryn wouldn't risk fighting Buffy. In Season 10, he's somehow more powerful than possibly the entire Scooby Gang combined.

There was essentially zero fallout from Xander's BtVS S9 betrayal.

The Angel crossover made less than zero sense for at least a few reasons.

Comment

• Think you seriously misread "Selfless" if you thought D'Hoffryn was even particularly worried about Buffy.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                            It seems more people are realizing how "stupid" Season 10 is.
                            I for one think that Season 10 is awesome, and for what I can see, there isn't "more people realizing how stupid", they are the same people (everywhere) who never liked it from the beginning.

The season is full of action, good stories, character development; Gage manages to write his book without making it confusing, crowded, or failing to follow the thread he has started.

The reviews for #28 have been very positive, and most of people are eagerly waiting the next issues. And BtVS will have a Season 11, which proves it's working.
                            Last edited by betta; 29-06-16, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                              In Season 10, he's somehow more powerful than possibly the entire Scooby Gang combined.
                              "somehow" ?? - that is part of the plot isn't it, that by killing off the other members of the council he, as the remaining member, gained the powers/abilities awarded to them all with the book.
                              Last edited by Stoney; 29-06-16, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                "somehow" ?? - that is part of the plot isn't it, that by killing off the other members of the council he, as the remaining member, gained the powers/abilities awarded to them all with the book.
                                Indeed. So in clearly established plot, he went from someone who was never particularly afraid of Buffy or her friends, to someone who had the aggregated book-created benefits of the whole world-defense magical council thing that I would love to hear Buffy or Giles or someone acknowledging it sounds even dumber now every time they refer to it.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Although being a demon, D'Hoffryn never caused problems to the Scoobies; he was always about his business, the Vengeance gig, and the women who worked for him. He never showed any other interest besides that - kill the Slayer, world domination, whatever.

He offered the job to Willow, and when she refused it, he was cool with that, he even gave her a talisman.

He attended Anya and Xander's non-wedding and behaved as any other invintee (and only offered Anya her job back because he saw the opportunity, he didn't cause anything).

When Willow summoned him to try to save Anya, he came and saved her, after all - in his (cruel) way to deal with business, but still his business.

In the comics, D'Hoffryn allied himself with Illyria and the Council to solve a problem - he wanted to defeat Severin, and that's why, later, he didn't want Buffy and friends to enter the Deeper Well, it's not that he was battling the Slayer for the sake of it.

Then, he reappears saying he is willing to help with the writing of the New Rules, facilitating meetings between several beings who wanted to be heard, and with a new Council of Magic.

Besides, the Scoobies were overwhelmed by Archaeus's arrival, they had to fight the Mistress, the Soul Glutton and the Sculptor, and finally, they were busy with the demons's invasions - it wasn't like if they were having a wonderful time and simply decided to pass to D'Hoffryn their responsibilities.

So I think it's quite understandable that the Scoobies ended up trusting him too much and made the mistake of not overseeing his intentions more closely.
                                  Last edited by betta; 29-06-16, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by betta View Post
                                    I for one think that Season 10 is awesome, and for what I can see, there isn't "more people realizing how stupid", they are the same people (everywhere) who never liked it from the beginning.

The season is full of action, good stories, character development; Gage manages to write his book without making it confusing, crowded, or failing to follow the thread he has started.

The reviews for #28 have been very positive, and most of people are eagerly waiting the next issues. And BtVS will have a Season 11, which proves it's working.
                                    Yeah, I love season 10 as well. All I ever wanted from a Buffy comic was a straightforward entertaining Buffy story and season 10 is exactly that - a straightforward entertaining Buffy story. Buffy dates a vampire, Willow bewitches or whatever, Xander is being extra Xander-y; there's humor, action, drama and metaphors, there's character development, focus on friendship and a particularly bad Big Bad to slay. And issues that were bothering us for years are finally being addressed! What more can you ask for? I think people in fandom often look at the show through rose-tinted glasses probably because they barely watch it anymore. So the lore isn't very elegant? Well, when was it? So Scoobies are making mistakes? Well, when weren't they? So the plot is rich in asspulls? Well, when was it asspull free? Come on!
                                    Last edited by a thing of evil; 29-06-16, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                      Indeed. So in clearly established plot, he went from someone who was never particularly afraid of Buffy or her friends, to someone who had the aggregated book-created benefits of the whole world-defense magical council thing that I would love to hear Buffy or Giles or someone acknowledging it sounds even dumber now every time they refer to it.
                                      They thought the individual restrictions were precaution enough and that was wrong and ill considered. It has been a repeat of the season for the untrustworthiness of demons to be raised. Pointedly in fact right from the first issue with Vicki, what they expected of her (or didn't) was raised. But as betta says, it wasn't typical of D'Hoffryn to be a threat in this way. Yet the vampire attendee at the speed dating showed perhaps a negative side of demons being 'known' that has seeped back to the gang somewhat too. They have become complacent and with Drac's actions and yet another backstabbing incident from Harmony trying to take the book they were getting warning signs of this that they just weren't heeding. Despite saying it, they aren't always doing it. And this all sits beside the affect others can have, manipulation and control, and responding to that maturely as well as handling your responsibilities and not getting careless over such things. So I may be missing the point, but what has happened with D'Hoffryn is supposed to be dumb isn't it??

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                                      Depending on what is canon, the only reason Spike is in the Scooby Gang is to be with Buffy. If he wants to 'break up', he could easily form his own very powerful gang. He has Beck, the 'Spikettes', maybe Spider aka Maria Harley, and he would have Illyria/Fred if Season 10 actually flowed from the IDW stuff.
                                      Well what is unequivocally certain is that S8, S9 and, as much as you don't like it personally, S10 are all canon and Spike isn't only there to be with Buffy. He returned in S9 for Dawn and because, as his mini explored, he wants to stop wandering, stop focussing only on his love interest and belong with the people he cares most about.

Comment

• the only reason Spike is in the Scooby Gang is to be with Buffy
                                        Spike hangs out with Scoobies because they are his friends and I'm gonna prove it to you. Spike and Buffy get together in issue 12. It's not something either of them plans, Spike is ready to move on, Buffy is, you know, being Buffy and yet prior to that Spike lives with Scoobies, fights with Scoobies, hangs out/plays games with/shoots shit with Scoobies, drinks with and talks about personal issues with Scoobies. And, here's the important part, nobody questions that. Nobody's like Go away Spike! Buffy doesn't want you and we neither! or What are you doing here Spike? You don't belong with us. Nothing like that happens and nobody bats an eye because at this point Spike's one of them! Where else would he be?

And Spike! There's this awesome scene in Spike series where he tries to play it cool and all vampire-y and whatnot and Willow instantly sees through his shit and completely detonates it with that nope, I want a hug line and they hug and he enjoys the hell out of it! Point is, there's nowhere else Spike would rather be!

Comment

• Originally posted by betta View Post

That's because most of the people willing to offer critique on it quit reading. S10, while starting off with potential, has meandered around to a sub-S8 plot that requires, again, the characters do the dumbest thing possible for the ends of the story. A story with a moral fit for 12 year olds: hurr, life is hard; don't duck responsibility, friends4ever. All without ever introducing any different dynamics that might actually make sense or offer any explanation. They started at the end and worked backwards and forced everything into a mold needed for the story. Same thing that they did with S8. Which I guess is kinda meta. The characters never learn because the people writing never seem to.

The entirety of S10's long plot is the same as the Dracula plot in the first arc. Do something incredibly stupid, Drac gets book, people die, admit you did something stupid, boy I'll never do that again! Over and over again, whether it's Andrew, Buffy or the gang as a whole. Characterizations are mercurial to say the least, except for Spike to an extent. Everyone else waffles from stupid to obvious-writer-mouthpiece like the last issue.

Of course it's getting a S11. They paid for the license. Until that license expires, they'll print. Hopefully more of those High School Years books as they seem to be able to tell the stories better in less time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X