BOOM! Buffyverse News Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
    Has Angel appeared in the Buffy comics since his book was cancelled?
    He hasn't appeared.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAF View Post

He hasn't appeared.
      That sucks.

Angel's a great character. It's sad to hear that he's not being used.
      My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I am amazed that the new comic writers don't seem to know what to do with Angel.

His entire story of monstrous behavior, repentance and desire for redemption feels so perfect for this particular moment in our culture.

Instead, they seem to want to endlessly wander down old paths that have been done time and again.

Comment

• redtent
          redtent commented
          Editing a comment
          Tbh, they don't know what to do with any of the male characters.

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          I loved what they did with Xander, I thought that worked really well.

• https://bleedingcool.com/comics/boom...we-are-slayer/

Boom Studios To Launch Buffy Multiverse Storyline, We Are Slayer

Posted on September 29, 2021 by Rich Johnston

Morgan Perry, Retail Sales Lead for Boom Studios (and major roller derby participant) ran the presentation at this week's Diamond Retail Summit, talking about their upcoming comic books and their relationship with retailers. And after continually comparing the comic book industry and being a comic book retailer to roller derby at length, stretching the metaphor for longer than ever Stewart Lee would think reasonable. Before she talked about Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Boom Studios published comics based on the Fox property Buffy The Vampire Slayer, as created by Joss Whedon. Boom Studios ran the comic like a recent reboot and recently introduced the Buffyverse tapping into other versions of Buffy – the film, the TV series, the Dark Horse comics series and more. And now, after announcing a series Buffy: The Last Slayer with a fifty-year old Buffy Summers, there is something else that Boom Studios is to launch for 2022 called We Are Slayer.

Perry states "Speaking of the multiverse, everything in our Buffy The Vampire Slayer series has been leading up to the We Are Slayer arc, that lays bare what's at stake. Yeah, I know what I did there but just bear with me. Following these reveals, we're going to be telling a story we've been waiting to share for a long time, Buffy The Last Vampire Slayer."

No more details, but it sounds like a hashtag and a call to action. Could this be a reprieve of the event that saw the world filled with Slayers? A Boom Studios take on that? A recognition of the Buffyverse, with Buffies teaming up across realities? Or something utterly and completely different? Maybe it will be a Buffy/Roller Derby spin-off series to get Perry even more excited? Seriously, someone should pitch that to her.

Comment

• Based on the solicitations for issue 32 “We are the slayer” is simply the name of the arc starting with issue 30. This seems to be another BOOM-overhype situation.

Comment

• Oh what a surprise!

Comment

• So the new comic is in the Boom!verse? Interest cancelled.

Comment

• December:

https://buffy.fandom.com/wiki/Buffy_...ayer_(2019)_32

Comment

• Was at the bookstore the other day and decided to check out the graphic novel section to see if there were any Buffy/Angel things. Of course, the old DH Library Editions weren't there - they now seem to be going for hundreds (if not thousands) a piece which is insane. I have all the individual comics, trade paperbacks and collections and Library Editions for DH and IDW and I'm thinking of placing them in special acid-free covers considering one could now use them as a down payment for a house.

But I did see the first oversized graphic collection of Buffy Boom! comics, High School is Hell - and the list price was 75 American dollars!

I then looked on Amazon and it's currently selling for around 40 dollars, but I can't believe the ways in which they're trying to stick it to consumers these days. 75 dollars!

Comment

• I think you can still find them online digitally at least (although not through DH Digital any more unless you already had them), so people can read them without having to take on a second mortgage.

Comment

• BOOM! announces a new Angel series for next year.This will be a miniseries though,8 issues,not a ongoing.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chri...angel-in-2022/

Christopher Cantwell Writes New Buffy Spin-Off Comic, Angel, In 2022

Posted on October 21, 2021 by Rich Johnston|

Boom Studios is to publish a new Angel comic book series as part of their Buffy The Vampire Slayer reboot line of comics. The eight-issue comic book series will be written by current Iron Man comic writer, and producer and director of AMC's Halt and Catch Fire Christopher Cantwell and regular Boom artist Daniel Bayliss of WWE The New Day: The Power of Positivity, Labyrinth: Coronation, colourist Patricio Delpeche of Origins, and letterer Becca Carey as… Detective Angel.

Welcome to Detective TV, starring Angel and his co-star—Cordelia! But wait, Angel isn't just a celebrity? Nope, he leads a double life… as a real monster hunter for Angel Investigations! Sometimes, though, this double life can get his friends into trouble, and as Wesley recovers from a horrific curse, Angel stumbles into a series of supernatural events which lead to him getting sucked into an unexpected and mysterious world. He soon faces a terrifying enemy, who sees him as a threat

"I love writing character ensemble stories, stories about seemingly random individuals who suddenly find themselves trapped in the orbits of others. Angel has one of the best ensembles to ever grace the TV screen, and theirs is a story about a family of choice," said Cantwell. "When BOOM! approached me, I leaped at the chance to honor and celebrate the original series in a fresh way, pulling on some loose threads and weaving new ones. It takes all the characters and plays 52 card pick-up with them, reshuffling their roles and identities into a literal alternate universe that LOOKS and FEELS like Angel, but is also something else entirely."

Christopher Cantwell's other comics credits include Regarding the Matter of Oswald's Body with Boom Studios, The United States of Captain America and Doctor Doom for Marvel Entertainment, The Blue Flame from Vault Comics, and She Could Fly and Everything for Dark Horse's Berger Books. As well as Halt and Catch Fire he also served as an executive producer on the first season of the upcoming TV adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang's Paper Girls, coming soon to Amazon Prime.

"I love what BOOM! Studios has done with this series and especially what our incredible writer Chris Cantwell is doing with this story! Here you will see all of our favorite characters in a slightly different reality and yet they all maintain their core and humor in a story that is highly entertaining and with unexpected turns," said Bayliss. "This has given me the opportunity as an artist to represent great action scenes, creepy creatures and demons, but what I love the most is that Chris also goes a little deeper with the characters and the interactions between them, with more personal situations with which we can relate more closely with the characters. For me, these are the heart and soul of the series, and they have been my favorite scenes when putting ink on the page."

Daniel Bayliss is a Mexican cartoonist, illustrator and co-creator of Moonhead Press. He has worked on titles such as WWE The New Day: The Power of Positivity, Big Trouble in Little China/Escape from New York, Jim Henson's Labyrinth: Coronation, Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Dragons, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as well as on original series Translucid and Kennel Block Blues for Boom Studios. He was nominated for The Russ Manning Award in 2016.

"Angel has always been a contradiction of good vs. evil, spotlight vs. shadows, and tortured past vs. redemptive future, which is what makes Chris and Daniel's take on this version of the iconic vampire so delightful as they imagine a universe where Angel's identities and worlds collide," said Sierra Hahn, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios. "It's all magical hijinks, mysterious Big Bads, and tons of secrets in this fresh new take on the characters you know and love from Angel."

Strange sounding series.I assume another multiverse story.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                        Double Dutchess commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm intrigued, but not loving the art.

• It's nice to see that they haven't forgotten about Angel (or Spike going by his inclusion in one of the alternate covers). I'll look out for reviews and comments on these as they do seem fun. The humour is very light for Angel, but I can see touches of the original woven in and the idea of the show element is entertaining. You're probably right BAF that they'll just be tagged as another multiverse story.

The only thing I found off-putting in the article was the "but what I love the most is that Chris also goes a little deeper with the characters and the interactions between them, with more personal situations with which we can relate more closely with the characters." I feel quite fatigued by BOOM's insistence that everything they produce is deeper, better, more epic than anything that has come before. This idea looks fun, they have me interested, but comments like this get my back up a little and it is counter productive. It could be me being overly sensitive about the originals. It's a loyalty they are trying to capitalise on though, so I just don't think it is a great tactic. The marketing of BOOM's comics has never worked brilliantly for me.

Comment

• I'll look forward to this as it looks interesting. Is Cordelia playing Kate Lockley? That's quite meta

Comment

• Tired as I am by the endless Multiverse stuff, this still feels fresher than anything I’ve seen in BOOM!’s Buffy comics.

Comment

• January 2022 Solicits, actually multiple ones now: https://www.comicsbeat.com/boom-stud...solicitations/

Comment

• Both the Last Slayer story and the new Angel TV stories are definitely more interesting to me than the continuation of BOOM's original multiverse reimagining of BtVS. I'm hopeful both of them might be worth getting but I feel wary of buying them blind. Once I start it is harder to stop, even if I'm disappointed by them. I may just follow reviews again and get the TPB's if I think they are worth the read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                Both the Last Slayer story and the new Angel TV stories are definitely more interesting to me than the continuation of BOOM's original multiverse reimagining of BtVS. I'm hopeful both of them might be worth getting but I feel wary of buying them blind. Once I start it is harder to stop, even if I'm disappointed by them. I may just follow reviews again and get the TPB's if I think they are worth the read.
                                It's a pretty low bar. Honestly, I think I'd be more interested in them if they swapped the premises.

Comment

• So Buffy has her memories stolen and leaves the scoobies to fight Silas without her. As usual she is absent in her own comic

Comment

• Sorry Daniel Bayliss, not loving your art there. Too thick set muscle man looking for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                                    X