Thread: 1x09 History Repeating

Thanks

Default 1x09 History Repeating

So what did you guys think of this important episode, in which we finally learned why Damon returned to Mystic Falls?

I have to say, I'm glad it wasn't just to mess with Stefan, although given what an annoying bitch Katherine was I'm not thrilled that she was the reason either. Still, poor Damon looked so heartbroken....I wonder though how Damon knew that Catherine would be trapped in the church early enough in advance to have Emily give her the crystal? And Lexi's death was really unnecessary if Damon was planning to bring in 27 vampires at once anyway....although it seems that he didn't know that at the time, he was just concerned about Katherine....I find it interesting that she didn't compel him, that he knew she was a vampire all along, I wonder if it's true.

And wow, 27 vampires, the town sure used to be full of them! I wonder how they managed to corral all of them into the church, or why so many would be there in the first place? I can see why Emily decided to break her bargain, although it's still sneaky of her, and I can understand why Damon did what he did to Bonnie out of initial rage....I wonder why Elena wasn't more freaked out and furious at Damon though?

In all it wasn't my favorite episode, although I liked the reveal, and the new mysteries of the new teacher (who most certainly is a vampire, I'd say, between the ring and the hesitation at the door--I wonder why he wants Jeremy to dig into his family history though, when it probably included vampire hunting if the watch is any consideration?) and Logan (I wonder when he was blooded and by whom, for him to have become a vampire after he died? Especially since it had to have been recently for the blood to be in his system, as we know now....and wow, he hunted vampires and yet chose to let the change happen? Hypocrite! ).....I sure never expected to see him back, when they didn't find a body I assumed it was because Stefan and Damon had hidden it!

Oh and I also LOVED all the bonding between the brothers tonight, it was the first time that they really seemed like brothers, and it was so cute! Especially when they were imitating each other, that was too funny! Also the fact that Damon did seem so remorseful about Lexi's death and so eager to get back into Stefan's okay graces was touching, like his shocked and hurt expression during the fake!stabbing was--I think Damon really does love Stefan deep down, whatever he says......I love the brother dynamic on this show, I was reading an old article about Fall TV picks that mentioned VD, saying that it "has the best brother-on-brother relationship this side of Supernatural" and I really agree!

It's nice that Caroline finally has found someone to hang with, but I found that storyline boring....oh and the Elena/Stefan stuff too, I know I'm always defending VD from Twilight comparisons, but the end of the episode was too much like the Edward-leaving scene in NM for me, lol--even down to Stefan reaching out to touch her face before he turns away.... On the other hand though it is quite different from Twilight in that Elena would certainly not descend into catatonia and lose the will to live if Stefan left, or even react as strongly as Buffy did in "The Prom" (though the scene with Bonnie reminded me of that scene with Willow)....but yeah, because Elena has friends, family, and a life.

I do wonder what the deal is with the brothers, because obviously they can't really leave right now!
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina View Post
    I find it interesting that she didn't compel him, that he knew she was a vampire all along, I wonder if it's true.
    I like that reveal. If it is true, it really sheds more light on Damon as a character with significant depth, imo.

and the new mysteries of the new teacher (who most certainly is a vampire, I'd say, between the ring and the hesitation at the door--
    It certainly appears that way but I found myself doubting that. I feel like it's a red herring or something. I guess I don't trust tv shows very much. They always try to trick you! BUt seeing as I haven't read the books, I don't know what the dea with Alaric is. Btw, how funny was his little speech about how to pronounce his name? I totally felt like he was talking to the audience and not the classroom.

and Logan (I wonder when he was blooded and by whom, for him to have become a vampire after he died? Especially since it had to have been recently for the blood to be in his system, as we know now....and wow, he hunted vampires and yet chose to let the change happen? Hypocrite! ).....I sure never expected to see him back, when they didn't find a body I assumed it was because Stefan and Damon had hidden it!
    I was very surprised to see him!!! And he may be a hypocrite, but I can see where someone might embrace being a vampire rather than being dead. Really dead. I guess if you were about to die you'd have to do some serious thinking about whether you wanted to be gone forever or turned into a "monster." In the end, I feel the decision isn't so much about survival as it is a statement about how weak a character you have....Though, maybe Logan has even more ulterior motives at more.

Especially when they were imitating each other, that was too funny!
    It was a nice touch and I really enjoyed that.

I do wonder what the deal is with the brothers, because obviously they can't really leave right now!
    Right? They both seem resigned to leaving so I wonder what will happen to prevent their departure?

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

oh and the Elena/Stefan stuff too, I know I'm always defending VD from Twilight comparisons, but the end of the episode was too much like the Edward-leaving scene in NM for me
    LOL!!! It's funny you should say that....I started imitating Bella in that scene to my husband (trying to convince him to come see New Moon with me next week....not so shockingly, it seemed to have the opposite effect on him )

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post

It certainly appears that way but I found myself doubting that. I feel like it's a red herring or something. I guess I don't trust tv shows very much. They always try to trick you! BUt seeing as I haven't read the books, I don't know what the dea with Alaric is.
    Well, a book major spoiler then:
    Spoiler:
    I'm serious, if you don't want to be spoiled don't read this:
    Spoiler:
    in the book, Alaric is NOT a vampire, but a vampire hunter hired on by the town to find the vampires. But, there was no Logan in the book, so I'm not sure how this will play out...

Btw, how funny was his little speech about how to pronounce his name? I totally felt like he was talking to the audience and not the classroom.
    Right? Because in the books, I always pronounced his name like he said not too!

I really enjoyed the episode. I too am wondering about Katherine (and others) in the tomb
    Spoiler:
    In the books (major spoiler warning)
    Spoiler:
    she never did die, either, though it was under different circumstances, but she played a major role in the book's pivitol plotline

I loved the throw-out to the name 'Falls Church' in this episode as that was the name of the town in the books - not Mystic Falls. And did anyone else catch Bianca Lawson as Emily? It took me a minute to recognize her, without Kendra's horribly fake-Jamaican accent I guess she can't seem to get away from the vampire series personas either!

It really does seem to me now that Jenna is a combination of Meredith and Judith. Especially with the fact that she's interested in Alaric as
    Spoiler:
    Alaric and Meredith get engaged in the books, and Aunt Judith has a fiance in the books that at one point is suspected of being a vampire - it seems to me that they're blending both of those couples together for the series

But my favorite moments of the episode were the Damon/Stefan bonding moments. And the fact that we got to see Damon (finally) emotionally vulnerable - he does care for someone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRae12 View Post
    Well, a book major spoiler then:
    Spoiler:
    I'm serious, if you don't want to be spoiled don't read this:
    Spoiler:
    in the book, Alaric is NOT a vampire, but a vampire hunter hired on by the town to find the vampires. But, there was no Logan in the book, so I'm not sure how this will play out...
    Lol, I have no resistance to spoilertags with this series!
    Spoiler:
    Hmm, well that was another of my theories, given his insistence that Jeremy research into local history--aka his family's vampire-hunting past (or so I'd guess with the watch).....we'll see though!

Right? Because in the books, I always pronounced his name like he said not too!
    Lol, I kind of wasn't paying close attention during that part, how do you pronounce his name again?

I loved the throw-out to the name 'Falls Church' in this episode as that was the name of the town in the books - not Mystic Falls. And did anyone else catch Bianca Lawson as Emily? It took me a minute to recognize her, without Kendra's horribly fake-Jamaican accent I guess she can't seem to get away from the vampire series personas either!
    I was confused for that reason, what was Falls Church supposed to be in the TV show again? I find it funny to hear it mentioned though, since that's in the DC area and close by....

Oh and yes, I noticed Bianca Lawson's name in the opening credits, and figured then that she must be Emily! I hadn't recognized her the previous times we'd seen Emily on the show....She does seem very different though without the crazy Jamaican accent.... So that was neat, I haven't really seen her on TV since Buffy besides one Bones epp.

But my favorite moments of the episode were the Damon/Stefan bonding moments. And the fact that we got to see Damon (finally) emotionally vulnerable - he does care for someone.
    Well I think we've seen him kind of emotionally vulnerable before in relation to his brother, but yeah, obviously this was the biggest moment--he looked so heartbroken....
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

Lol, I kind of wasn't paying close attention during that part, how do you pronounce his name again?
    Ha, actually it is already starting to get a little blurry with me too...probably because I've tried to think about it too much! But I think it was "Ah-Lair-Ick"...I think.

Well I think we've seen him kind of emotionally vulnerable before in relation to his brother, but yeah, obviously this was the biggest moment--he looked so heartbroken....
    Yeah...I felt like having a Spike moment...awkwardly patting him on the back! I hope we begin to see more and more revealing of his "heart", because I feel like there is probably supposed to be some tension between him and Stefan over Elena (or like it will end up being that way), and so far he has very little redeeming him!! It's funny that so many people don't really care for Elena/Stefan...I actually like them quite a bit. I agree, they are sort of a Bangel-type relationship, and I always preferred Spuffy much more, but there is something sweetly innocent about that first head-over-heels love like that. Stefan just seems very sweet.

So was anyone else slightly confused by the mystical-holding-cell thingy under the church? So are there really bodies down there? Or was it mystical in that it would conjur them up from thin air? Did destroying the amulet mean that they simply cannot be retrieved, or that they were destroyed when the amulet was? Hmm..maybe more to be revealed about that soon. Sucks that Bonnie doesn't have it anymore though, since it seemed to have some protective properties. And she could use protection from Damon!!

Spoiler:
    I also got the feeling that Alaric might NOT be a vampire, they way the tried to make him look like one. For one, I think it would be a bit odd for 2 vamps to be gunning for Elena's aunt. Plus, he doesn't look very pale.
    Last edited by BloodyHell; 15-11-09 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHell View Post
    Ha, actually it is already starting to get a little blurry with me too...probably because I've tried to think about it too much! But I think it was "Ah-Lair-Ick"...I think.
    It's Ah-Lahr-Ick. I only remmeber because I was pronouncing it in my head the way he said not to.

Spoiler:
    I also got the feeling that Alaric might NOT be a vampire, they way the tried to make him look like one.
    That's why I can' say that he is. It's like were trying to make it obvious that he was. And in a way that made me doubt the sincerity of the information.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

I was confused for that reason, what was Falls Church supposed to be in the TV show again? I find it funny to hear it mentioned though, since that's in the DC area and close by....
    I think they were referring to the old burned out church that the vampires were trapped under...

Thanks

How great was Damon's "And to prove it, I'm gonna not feed off human. For at least a ... week"
    The Stefan!Damon & Damon!Stefan game had me just rolling on the floor! Agree with everybody posting above about the really cool brothers' vibe this week!

Plus: obviously, poor Damon. All this time he was hoping to get Katherine back... and his speech about him knowing about her all the time...
    I guess soon he'll turn his attention to Elena instead.

Stefan & Elena "I'm leaving, I'm leaving" scene was textbook bangel for me.

I wonder what makes Stefan and Damon decide they're NOT leaving though (besides the obvious show can't lose two of its most important characters )?
    banner by litzie avatar by diane