Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fanart FAQ: technical help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by only-V View Post
    Hi everyone! Once upon a time I used to post here (not often, and not a lot, I was too impressed by your talent), and then... I stopped doing any graphics for 2 years or so. I would like to go back to it, so I had a look into my old "Graphics" folder... and it's the biggest mess you can imagine. So my question: how do you organize yours? Which folders? Do you keep the screencaps or look for them online? What about stock pictures? Do you keep the graphics by size, fandoms?
    Sorry about all those silly questions, I just try not to get lost in my files as I did the last time.
    Hey and welcome back to fanart!! I don't know if this is going to be helpful but I will try to answer, just tell you what I do with my organizing. I am in the process of building my files back up after my computer crashed so I get that it can be frustrating to organize your folders believe me.

One advise I can give is to defiantly save your resources, anything you have used and or think about using again safe it on your computer make a folder for it because sites go down and one day you might find yourself without the screencap archive you have gotten used to.

Now as to the organasing this is what I do:I have a file for resources (textures, brushes, fonts and so on) that I have categorized in maps named after the site I got the particular resource form. This makes crediting way easier. and then I have a file for my screencpas and here I have it organised in shows, so like a Harry Potter map and a Once upon a time map and so on. This is because I can actually remember where I got the sceencaps from. And then within the 'show maps' I got maps for stuff that I am obsessing over, like for example I love Snape so I have his memories scene form DH from tow different screncap archives and thus I have a map in my HP files called Snape's memories and then within that I have different maps for where I got the caps from. So those are the 'Crazy Mara is obsessed' maps The weirdest thing I have got a map for right now is in my Once upon a time map I started a separate one for the chipped cup...

But yeah so basically I would suggest that you go trough the thing you have now, sort out what you will defiantly still use what you might use, throw away some stuff with low quality or from shows you are defiantly no longer into and then organize starting with resources to avoid forgetting who to credit and then move on to the actually screencaps/promo's and categorize in a way which will make it easy for you to access the thing you are currently most into

Hope that was a bit helpful good luck!
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks
    Thanked 3,009 Times in 989 Posts

Hi everyone! Once upon a time I used to post here (not often, and not a lot, I was too impressed by your talent), and then... I stopped doing any graphics for 2 years or so. I would like to go back to it, so I had a look into my old "Graphics" folder... and it's the biggest mess you can imagine. So my question: how do you organize yours? Which folders? Do you keep the screencaps or look for them online? What about stock pictures? Do you keep the graphics by size, fandoms?
    Sorry about all those silly questions, I just try not to get lost in my files as I did the last time.
    Perhaps I'm not the best one to answer since my folders are messy as well. But I've three important folders in my general 'pictures' folder. 1 for unfinished work/.PSD files, 1 with everything I save for the internet (finished wallpapers, avatars and banners) and 1 with all the textures that are not in galleries somewhere on the internet. The folder with my finished work is sorted on date, so the newest stuff is always on top. And my 'texture' folder is filled with folders named after the site or person who made the textures. And in those folders I save all the wallpapers I downloaded from them or their site.

And to say the opposite of Mara; I don't save screencaps, stocks and promos on my computer, it only slows the computer down and it's easier to browse through internet galleries. That's why I do have a 'favorite resources' folder in my internetbrowser with all the sites with good galleries (stocks, textures and pictures/screencaps). It's also easier to credit the people who made the resources, if you save it on your computer it sometimes happens that you forgot to name the files and can't credit. It's true that sometimes sites go off-air and it can be annoying, but usually you can work around it because there are plenty of screencap sites and in the worst case you can often cap an episode or movie yourself (or ask somebody). I don't believe that it pays off to fill your C:drive with things you can easily find on the internet and only use once or twice. Textures are different because you use those over and over again.

Brushes I put in the 'brushes' folder that is part of the many folders that come with Adobe Photoshop. I don't keep an extra copy of those .abr files in a seperate folder. But I try to name all the brushes in such a way that I know who made it. Same with the gradients.

I look forward to see your art.
    Last edited by Nina; 11-02-13 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

Hey! I remember you! Glad you found your way back!

My art section is a mess too! Its like a rabbit hole where I have to go deeper to finder the newer sections and before reveals its branches off into lots of folders for my resources. I like to save my art according to when i was doing it. Its easier for me to not have to navigate to different folders when saving and then uploading and risk accidentally sticking a file in a random folder and having to spend time looking for it much later. So i let a folder get about fifty finished wallpapers and then i create a new folder to work in. Just estimating that number. When i feel it is too crowded, want a new start, or have something big happen in my life like moving, then i will create a new folder to give me a fresh start feeling. This allows me to move on from WIPs after keeping them around for a good period of time. If i want to find a specific WIP, i can usually remember approximately what time era it is. But more usually, i will just browse an old folder for memories and be looking for inspiration when i stumble over an old WIP.

My resources are a bit more organized. I try to use galleries whenever i can to save space and be able to credit the source. I have separate folders for stocks (folders for landscapes, skies, objects, etc), textures (separated into who i downloaded it from), screencaps(organized into fandom/season/episode/who capped it when i remember), fandom heading separated into my favorite and rare fandoms (which has promos and stills).

But as galleries seem to be going off line temporarily/permanently, im feeling the need to copy more galleries to my computer. So if i do that like with Screencap Paradise, i have the website as a main heading and then branch off like the gallery was organized.

So my art section is basically a lot of good intentions and a lot of twists that can keep me scurrying around but keeps prying eyes too confused!

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

I guess we are all messes when it comes to organizing these kinds of items! Because I am too! Basically I have a few folders:

STOCK. With several subfolders where I try to categorize them. Like Nature, Blood, Wall, Textures, etc.
    WIP. Also with many subfolders. Here I save images I come across that I feel like I might want to use at some point. Sometimes these folders are collected screencaps from a scene or episode that I hope to tackle one day. Others are photoshoots and the like.
    MANIP. Images I have saved that would be good bases for manips.

But these folders are big, old messes in and of themselves.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Drunkface McCord little albatross's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    I like to save my art according to when i was doing it. Its easier for me to not have to navigate to different folders when saving and then uploading and risk accidentally sticking a file in a random folder and having to spend time looking for it much later. So i let a folder get about fifty finished wallpapers and then i create a new folder to work in. Just estimating that number. When i feel it is too crowded, want a new start, or have something big happen in my life like moving, then i will create a new folder to give me a fresh start feeling.
    I pretty much do this same thing. I always end up saving all my gifs, small graphics and wallpapers in the same folder for a period of time (unless they're awards or a large amount of things like icons) and start a new folder when I feel it gets too big. After that, I usually move some of my old folders to my external hard drive because I have a hard time letting go and I always freak out about losing all of my artwork or needing the original files in case everything I have uploaded online disappears without a backup. I don't know. haha.

I save all my textures, stocks, brushes, etc in a general 'textures' folder. I have separate folders within that folder for my usual places (if I download/use a lot of textures from one place, i name a folder after the site or user who made them), or I at least save it with the site name in front of the file name in the general textures folder if I haven't made a folder for the maker yet, just so I usually know whom to credit. like "soaked_paintythings.jpg" etc
    would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Thanks

Thank you so much for all your recommendations and explanations. Let's do it! Sadly, I don't have all the sources in mind (I used to randomly save textures and brushes and give them names such as "wood+light" or anything descriptive... but really awful if you're looking for the website where you had found it) so... it won't be that easy. But thanks a lot for your comments. (Let's try to open photoshop and see if I can still do things...)

Thanks!
    "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,778 Posts

Hi, guys.

Can anyone tell me how to make demotivational "You're doing it wrong" posters? My Photoshop skills are pretty basic, some of the things I don't know how to do include 1) how to insert a picture into a frame and 2) how to combine two or more pictures (which is also the reason why I don't know how to make collages).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

If you send me the pics you want to combine, I can make the poster. PM me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Watcher For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (29-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Hi, guys.

Can anyone tell me how to make demotivational "You're doing it wrong" posters? My Photoshop skills are pretty basic, some of the things I don't know how to do include 1) how to insert a picture into a frame and 2) how to combine two or more pictures (which is also the reason why I don't know how to make collages).
    I'm not sure how those posters are supposed to look, lol. But I can try to answer your questions.

1)
    Spoiler:
    1a) create a new file in Photoshop. File > New. You'll see a dialogue box. The important things to fill out are: width and height (make sure they're measured in pixels), resolution (for the internet graphic it's 72 pixels/inch), color mode (RGB color, 8 bit). As for the rest - background can be any color or even transparent, you can go with white for now and then change it later if you wish; and title can be chosen later if/when you want to save the file. Then click OK.

1b) Open the picture you're going to use. File > open. If you're on a newer version of Photoshop, it'll open as a new tab (you can switch between tabs like you do in web browsers). On an older version, it'll be just one more file in your working space.

1c) I'm assuming you don't want to have some fancy realistic frame, just a colored border around the picture - correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, here's the simplest way to make it:

On the left side of your screen, there is the tools (instruments) palette. It looks like a tall, narrow rectangle with various pictograms in it. Click on this pictogram to pick the color you want your frame to be:

You'll get a color picker dialogue box that looks and works pretty much the same as in any other program, such as Word or MS Paint. Choose a color, click OK.

1d) Switch to the working file you've created.

Now, if you're a Windows user, press Alt + Backspace on your keyboard. It's the shortcut that fills your canvas with the foreground color, the one you picked in the previous step.

I don't know the shortcuts for other OSs (sorry ), so if you're not on Windows, go to the Tools palette again and pick the one that looks like a little bucket:

It may be 'hidden under' another tool (the gradient tool, that looks like a little rectangle filled with white-to-black gradient). If you're seeing the gradient and not the bucket, press it with your mouse and hold for a second. A small drop-down menu will appear, like in my screenshot above, and you'll be able to pick the right tool.

Then simply click inside your picture to fill it with color.

1e) switch to the tab with the picture you want to have framed. Do you want to use the entire picture or just a part of it? If you want the entire picture, go to Select > All, then Edit > Copy.

If you want only a part, go to the Tools palette and pick the Marquee tool:

I assume you want a rectangular frame, right? Pick the Rectangular marquee tool.

Then click and drag your mouse over the picture to select the area you need. If you didn't get the selection you wanted right away, that's okay, simply try again. When you click on the picture (with the selection tool still on), the old selection will disappear and you'll be able to draw a new one.

(Also, you can undo what you just did with Ctrl + Z (Cmd + Z on Mac, I believe) or from the Edit menu.)

Once you've selected the part that you want, go Edit > Copy.

1f) Switch to the file you're working with, then go to Edit > Paste.

The picture you've selected and copied will appear on top of the colored layer. You will probably want to move it around or change its size.

To do so, go to Edit > Transform > Free Transform. A kind of a selection box, with little markers in the corners and in the center, will appear around the picture.

If you're seeing only a part of this box, or not seeing it at all because the picture is too big, zoom out using the Navigator palette that is in your top right corner (it has a slider, drag it to the left) OR using your mouse wheel while holding the Alt key (on Windows).

To resize it, hold Shift (I forget how the Mac equivalet is called... ), hover over the corner marker until your cursor turns into a little diagonal line with arrows on both ends, then click on the marker and drag. If you don't hold Shift while resizing, the picture will lose its aspect ratio (become stretched or squeezed).

To move it, click anywhere on the picture (except the markers) and drag.

Once you resized and positioned the picture, double click inside it or hit Enter.

You can also move the picture using the arrow keys on your keyboard. One press of a key = 1 pixel, but if you hold Shift it'll move 10 pixels at a time.

Basically, this is it. I figure you already know how to add text. But if you don't, feel free to ask.

To save the end result for posting on the internet, go to Save > Save as > pick JPG or PNG format > type in the title you want and click Save. For JPG format, set the quality at a minimum of 7-8, if it's lower the picture might end up blurry or pixelized. If your picrure had a lot of red, set a higher quality.

2) The princilpe is the same, except you paste not one, but several pictures onto your canvas. If you want to learn how to blend them, have a look at Jenni Lou's tutorials. They are simple, clear, and have illustrations. If you still have questions after reading them, don't hesitate to ask.

Phew! This was longer than I planned, lol. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Zugma; 28-03-13 at 05:05 PM.
    [ ...In my exile. ]
    LJ; Tumblr; Wallpapers

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zugma For This Useful Post:

buffylover (28-03-13),Ehlwyen (28-03-13),Nikki (28-03-13),TimeTravellingBunny (29-03-13)

Thanks

Sooo... I've been away too long now and I lost many of my resources, including links to screencaps sites that I either can't locate or have been closed. I'm looking for a good screencap resources for HQ caps, mainly for Veronica Mars and Buffy. I remember having the best source for VM caps with excellent quality but now I can't seem to find it. Same with Buffy and Angel.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be so happy.

Josh.
    "Well you may never be or have a husband, you may never have or hold a child, you will learn to lose everything... We are temporary arrangements"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 491 Posts

Try Home of the Nutty, Screencap Paradise, or Screencapped.net! Also, for Buffy caps, Pretty as a Picture has them!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Josh (07-01-15)

Thanks

None of these have VM caps, PAAP has the Buffy ones, but not as HQ as the ones I had my hands on before! but thanks.

I guess I'll have to cap my own, which is not that but hard but time consuming lol.

Thanks though!
    "Well you may never be or have a husband, you may never have or hold a child, you will learn to lose everything... We are temporary arrangements"

Thanks

How about this one: vm caps
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (08-01-15),Josh (08-01-15)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Sorry for OT, but I wanted to ask if on BF there is a thread about HTML. More precisely, a thread like this where you can get for help or suggestions.
    Thank!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by janas View Post
    Sorry for OT, but I wanted to ask if on BF there is a thread about HTML. More precisely, a thread like this where you can get for help or suggestions.
    Thank!
    YUP

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...our-HTML-needs!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

janas (08-01-15)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Thanks! I bookmarked it.

Thanks

If anyone knows or can help me decent HQ Gabriel Macht photoshoots or galleries, that would be great. I was thinking of making a wallpaper and thought it would be easy tracking down photos but the dude has like only one fansite and the gallery is way below standard. I'm really surprised cause he seems like the guy who would be popular among fangirls or boys.

Thanks in advance.