Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanart FAQ: technical help

Thanks

Honestly the best coloring tuts I've found is the latest one from Jenni Lou here and pretty much all of Olga's here. I also have some here that I have been told are helpful. But really the best thing to do is if you see a piece that you are interested in, ask the artist and they might be able to give you some tips on achieving that specific effect.

Thanks

I have a question about website hosting. I have a site that I currently want to change from the host of Bravehost to Dreamhost (due to the LARGE amount of space Dreamhost has). However, I have never transferred my site to a different host. I'm worried to do this because I'm afraid I'll end up either losing part of my original site or just causing myself too much work. Does anyone know if there are any places that help transfer sites for you? Or if this is easier than I am thinking? My site is currently 43 GB and has a ton of info.

::Shadow of Reflection::
    NOW CAPPING YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOWS AND MOVIES!!! See them HERE...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Well, I think you have to reupload everything anyway. Make sure you make backups of all your files, pages, databases, etc.

Where coppermine is concerned, you can export your mysql databases and then when you have you files re-uploaded, you can import the database through phpadmin. It should save you from having to manually set up all your cats and albums all over again, as well as save you the trouble as re-adding all the files through the interface. All the info should match up.

This is NOT something I have experienced, so I suggest referring to the coppermine forums, as it has info in there about how to move and export/import and all that stuff. You just have to search until you find it.

And if you haven't used phpadmin before...it's kind of confusing. I only dip into when absolutely necessary because I am afraid I will change the wrong values or something and screw up my whole database. So if you are going to look into the export/import issue, read up on it and try to get as best an understanding you can of it.

In the end, I think it's going to be a lot of work for you anyway it goes. My site is more than double your size and it is something I hope I never have to move, 'cause yikes!

Good luck.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    Well, I think you have to reupload everything anyway. Make sure you make backups of all your files, pages, databases, etc.

Where coppermine is concerned, you can export your mysql databases and then when you have you files re-uploaded, you can import the database through phpadmin. It should save you from having to manually set up all your cats and albums all over again, as well as save you the trouble as re-adding all the files through the interface. All the info should match up.

This is NOT something I have experienced, so I suggest referring to the coppermine forums, as it has info in there about how to move and export/import and all that stuff. You just have to search until you find it.

And if you haven't used phpadmin before...it's kind of confusing. I only dip into when absolutely necessary because I am afraid I will change the wrong values or something and screw up my whole database. So if you are going to look into the export/import issue, read up on it and try to get as best an understanding you can of it.

In the end, I think it's going to be a lot of work for you anyway it goes. My site is more than double your size and it is something I hope I never have to move, 'cause yikes!

Good luck.
    Thanks, Jenni-Lou. This certainly sounds like an after graduation project.

Thanks

I recently installed Adobe CS4 on my work computer, along with a new LCD screen. However I can't seem to get these two to agree and colors are way off between photoshop and browsers. I've tried fixing the color settings on the monitor itself but that just didn't work one bit, and since Adobe stopped including "adobe gamma" when they launched CS3, I tried using another program called "quickgamma" to get the screen to show me the right colors and shades. I also tried out a few color settings in photoshop but nothing seems to work. The problem persists and despite using the same HEX# for the site I'm coding and photoshop, the color still differs between programs with one darker than the other.

Does anyone have a solution on this problem because my brain just can't find one despite wasting hours of work time searching for a solution (wouldn't surprise me if it's something really simple that I'm missing). Help??

EDIT: seems it's Firefox that's acting up because I just did a double check with IE and impressively enough the damn thing showed me what I wanted to see - correct colors.

EDIT (again): Nevermind. Seems I had to go into the config of firefox and disable colormanagement. Something that was a default setting in FF3, but now FF3.5 and on. *doh* oh well, finally figured it out. If anyone else experiences the same problem, you now know how to fix it
    Last edited by Dana; 05-02-10 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixed the issue myself :)
    PRETTY AS A PICTURE HAS RETURNED

With the return of PAAP comes the integration of Screencap Paradise
    Keep a look out for Chosen Art, Roadhouse and the others

Thanks

I feel like I am living on this thread...

Here's the deal. I do a lot of retouches of models and it involves removing the background, which is usually studio stuff and replacing it with solid color or something else. Well, I am having the biggest issue removing the main image from the background. I've tried the Extract tool, but I keep goofing that up and the simple eraser takes a TON of time.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for this?

Thanks

It kind of depends on the image, I think. Removing backgrounds can be very different from one image to another. I use the polygonal lasso tool a lot, myself.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Manson View Post
    I feel like I am living on this thread...

Here's the deal. I do a lot of retouches of models and it involves removing the background, which is usually studio stuff and replacing it with solid color or something else. Well, I am having the biggest issue removing the main image from the background. I've tried the Extract tool, but I keep goofing that up and the simple eraser takes a TON of time.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for this?
    I'm a huge fan of the pen tool, it's a bit time consuming (depending on the picture of course) but it's usually the best (my opinion of course). There's a great tutorial on the basic usage of this here. Her way and "my way" are quite different but the gist is there

Sometimes I use the marquee tool to select the image roughly, create a layer mask and do the rest with a brush - though that can also be very time consuming. Generally though, if you want something cut out nicely, you have to be ready to invest some time into it...

Thanks

Does anyone know of any good retouch tutorials? Just the basic stuff like smoothing skin and fixing make up etc is all i need to know.

I was attempting one and it was way to hard to follow. Any help would be

Thanks!

Thanks

Ok, so I know how to change hair colour from blond to red, or from brown to blond. but does anyone know how to change hair from blond to black?
    My Web Page of Fanart/autographs:
    CELLAR DOOR

Thanks

Okay- I haven't been able to access my site for a couple years or so because the files was on my iMac (it crashed). I used Dreamweaver (only for Mac). Now I have a PC laptop but no html editor. I don't want to buy another html editor but I'd like to acesss my site- how do I go about it? I'm really clueless here.
    Banner by Digital Leonardo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Ok, so I know how to change hair colour from blond to red, or from brown to blond. but does anyone know how to change hair from blond to black?
    It's so hard to do believably, imo. What I do in those circumstances is find a picture of black hair to just place right over the blond hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    Okay- I haven't been able to access my site for a couple years or so because the files was on my iMac (it crashed). I used Dreamweaver (only for Mac). Now I have a PC laptop but no html editor. I don't want to buy another html editor but I'd like to acesss my site- how do I go about it? I'm really clueless here.
    I saw your post in the other thread a couple days ago but just didn't have a good answer. I use an html editor but I use it as if it were simply nootepad. I don't use it to access my site; I just upload my files directly to the site and check them that way, sometimes in a temporary folder.

Thanks

I saw your post in the other thread a couple days ago but just didn't have a good answer. I use an html editor but I use it as if it were simply nootepad. I don't use it to access my site; I just upload my files directly to the site and check them that way, sometimes in a temporary folder.
    Directly to the site? I don't follow.

Thanks

You know, I just upload the files by FTP. Like if I am editing affiliates.php I upload that file and check it from my website to make sure I edited it correctly. Basically, I just put my pages online. Anyone could see them really.

Thanks

You know, I just upload the files by FTP. Like if I am editing affiliates.php I upload that file and check it from my website to make sure I edited it correctly. Basically, I just put my pages online. Anyone could see them really.
    Thanks for your help.

What's the typical wallpaper size these days? Its been awhile since I've arted...

Thanks

I have problems. With Photoshop, that is. Basically, whenever I'm making a wallpaper (or anything, really, but it's mainly happening when I'm trying to make a wallpaper), Photoshop randomly and abruptly closes itself out and then I get "We're sorry, there was a problem with Photoshop" message and then I've lost all of the images that I had open and all of the work that I had done since I last saved. Or sometimes the program will go completely white and freeze up and then my entire computer freezes up and the same thing happens - I lose all the pictures, all the work. And it's a bunch of bull-poopy. So, what I'm here to ask is:

1.) Has anyone else encountered this problem with Photoshop?
    2.) Does anyone know of a way to make it so Photoshop no longer closes itself out or freezes or whatever?

I'm thinking about deleting all of my preset gradients and reloading them because I know that I have doubles in there and I don't know if that's slowing things down and I'm going to organize/clean out my picture folders and I'm going to go through and uninstall unecessary programs on my computer. But is this enough? Or is the problem with Photoshop, itself? Because the damn thing never used to do this until 2010 started.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed
    What's the typical wallpaper size these days? Its been awhile since I've arted...
    I can help with this! Based on my galavanting around the internet, the most common wallpaper size is 1440x900 since it fits most widescreen computer monitors. Some people make bigger and some make smaller but that seems to be the most typical size. What I do, personally, is this: make the wallpaper in 1440x900 and then crop out a 1024x768 version so that people will smaller monitors (like myself) can still use it if they'd like.
    Last edited by Heather; 14-03-10 at 05:50 PM.
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Thanks

Heather, yo8u can try searching the Adobe site. I've done this a few times in the past when I had unusual errors. If memory serves, this was a problem I once had. I think the solution had something to do with the Plug-Ins folder. I had to remove all my downloaded filters and re-add them later.

You can also reinstall if you have the disc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I have problems. With Photoshop, that is. Basically, whenever I'm making a wallpaper (or anything, really, but it's mainly happening when I'm trying to make a wallpaper), Photoshop randomly and abruptly closes itself out and then I get "We're sorry, there was a problem with Photoshop" message and then I've lost all of the images that I had open and all of the work that I had done since I last saved. Or sometimes the program will go completely white and freeze up and then my entire computer freezes up and the same thing happens - I lose all the pictures, all the work. And it's a bunch of bull-poopy. So, what I'm here to ask is:

1.) Has anyone else encountered this problem with Photoshop?
    2.) Does anyone know of a way to make it so Photoshop no longer closes itself out or freezes or whatever?

I'm thinking about deleting all of my preset gradients and reloading them because I know that I have doubles in there and I don't know if that's slowing things down and I'm going to organize/clean out my picture folders and I'm going to go through and uninstall unecessary programs on my computer. But is this enough? Or is the problem with Photoshop, itself? Because the damn thing never used to do this until 2010 started.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    This happened to me when I'd first installed CS4 on my laptop - around the time of our battle, do you remember?

I had to install some kind of patch... and run it a few times, and then it stopped happening.
    >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Thanks

I really want to start making my art pop like alot of your arts do to me. I seem to have the hardest time with the text. What do you think I could do my arts that could help? I have followed a lot of tutorials, but the text part seems to be the one part I have the hardest time on. Any suggestions?

I seem to be a fan of using gradients and textures and such (brushes don't seem to do much for me). Are there other things I could do to help make better arts, or is more practice just the best thing to keep doing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

CRene, without specifically checking out your art and knowing exactly what you are trying to improve, here are a couple ideas:

1. If you’re not already doing it, you should make text your top layer. Adding effects and filters can really destroy how much text stands out.

2. Instead of bolding text, you should usually change the stroke width. And it doesn’t have to be a whole number. I most frequently use .3 or .5 for my texts.

3. The key to getting pleasing text is spacing and alignment.
    Vertical spacing: If you have more than one line of spacing, each line should be in a different text box so you have more control over spacing and alignment.
    Horizontal spacing: The default of each font is not always the most pleasing. Extremely far spaced out letters on plain fonts adds boldness and strength. While for cursive text, closer spacing can add elegant beauty.

4. Text should be all upper case or lower case. Title Case Like This Doesn't Look As Pleasing.

If you ever want to send me a specific wall and ask for help, I'd be glad to try to give you some tips.

Lydia made the punch!